Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
Even the author of the article says that list is a guess, so I wouldn't get too worked up over it...
Yeah, to paraphrase that section: The list of teams I personally guess could possibly be hardliners are these, but there's absolutely no way to really support that claim because no one is talking.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If I had a guess, it would be:

Small market teams that are losing money want a deal close to 50/50 signed yesterday. They need the share reduced, but also need to keep fan interest and generate some cash flow.

Large market teams that make money want a deal at or below 50/50 and don't mind losing a season because they have the cash to cover it. They will profit much more in the long-term the less they have to give up in the CBA.

I think that's fairly analogous to fringe players (who are out of jobs and probably want a deal soon as they don't have much money) and elite players (who have a lot of cash to fall back on regardless).

If that theory holds up, it would be greed on the part of the large teams and ego on the part of the elite players that is holding up a deal. I'd have to think the smaller teams and fringe players would love to sit in a room, lock the door, and hammer out a deal that's fair for both sides.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

boo. i want to watch hockey...

Old
11-01-2012, 10:26 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
I just want to thank guys like Jarick, bozak911, and squidz (also anyone I might've glossed over) who have crunched the numbers and vociferously explained both sides of this lockout. It'd be absolutely hopeless if I was in charge of relaying the information to everyone, so thank you!

Old
11-02-2012, 12:22 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

well, if they cancel the Winter Classic, may as well accept that there will be no season.

If I were the league and owners, i'd be so pissed about having to cancel the premiere event, i would no longer be rational. I'd say "**** Off Players, Enjoy getting paid NOTHING"

Old
11-02-2012, 03:26 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
I just want to thank guys like Jarick, bozak911, and squidz (also anyone I might've glossed over) who have crunched the numbers and vociferously explained both sides of this lockout. It'd be absolutely hopeless if I was in charge of relaying the information to everyone, so thank you!
Ehhh....Mr. Fehr? Is that you?

Seriously though, I'd like to echo your message. Props to those on here who have provided some detailed explanations regarding this mess. Much appreciated.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:42 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
even if they can't all be right?

Old
11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
Banned

Old
11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think it's over yet, but certainly if they cancel December games it will probably be done. Stupid.

Hey, the 82-game proposal was supposed to start today...

Old
11-02-2012, 11:41 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

goodbye WC

Old
11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
goodbye WC
Yeah, looks like it. Goodbye season then.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'd like to take a moment to be an immature brat.

Hahahah Detroit, no Winter Classic for you. Who the hell would've cared anyways? This was the first WC I didn't have any interest in watching so I don't care at all that it was cancelled. Some Toronto fans that would've made the trek down probably just had their lives saved today as some scum in that garbage city would've robbed or beaten a few Toronto fans after the game. A WC in a boring generic horseshoe stadium between 2 teams I could care less about, although I'd greatly favor Toronto if I was forced to watch the game.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I half-watched Boston-Philly and skipped Philly-Rags. I would have skipped this one too.

For some reason it's more appealing for me to watch NFL games between two random teams than NHL games. Probably because I have to sit through 82 Wild games per year.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I'd like to take a moment to be an immature brat.

Hahahah Detroit, no Winter Classic for you. Who the hell would've cared anyways? This was the first WC I didn't have any interest in watching so I don't care at all that it was cancelled. Some Toronto fans that would've made the trek down probably just had their lives saved today as some scum in that garbage city would've robbed or beaten a few Toronto fans after the game. A WC in a boring generic horseshoe stadium between 2 teams I could care less about, although I'd greatly favor Toronto if I was forced to watch the game.
Maybe. But on the other hand. WC is a big event and an opportunity to catch more casual fans and grow the publicity plus overall business. Something they have tried to reach so desperately.

Last edited by W75: 11-02-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's one of those relative things. Me personally I don't care about the health of the league nearly as much as the league does. I don't care if there's hockey in Phoenix. The NHL still pays far more than any other league for the talent so it's not like there's a danger of losing star players from the Wild. I don't care about some outdoor game with a team I dislike.

<--- apathetic

Old
11-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi75 View Post
Maybe. But on the other hand. WC is a big event and an opportunity to catch more casual fans and grow the publicity plus overall business. Something they have tried to reach so desperately.
If I remember correctly, the viewership has steadily declined every year since the initial WC. I don't really think it's bringing in a ton of new fans, and after this lockout ********, casual fans are likely done with the NHL anyway.

I like the game, because it's a really neat change of pace, and it offers more insider stuff than a usual game gets. But at the end of the day, it's a regular season game that means absolutely nothing more or less than any other regular season game.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's one of those relative things. Me personally I don't care about the health of the league nearly as much as the league does. I don't care if there's hockey in Phoenix. The NHL still pays far more than any other league for the talent so it's not like there's a danger of losing star players from the Wild. I don't care about some outdoor game with a team I dislike.

<--- apathetic
Yeah, someway I feel the same. But in the end, league's wealth is part of the solution. No solution, no hockey. I don't care about business or politics that much. Still it affects me and every one of us.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi75 View Post
Yeah, someway I feel the same. But in the end, league's wealth is part of the solution. No solution, no hockey. I don't care about business or politics that much. Still it affects me and every one of us.
If this was Facebook, I would like this post.

Since this isn't, seconded.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:00 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Frankly, I view the cancellation of this season's Winter Classic as;

All 29 owners plus Gary Bettman just collectively, and in unison, raised both middle fingers at the 700+ members of the NHLPA.

This isn't about Detroit, they still get their Winter Classic. When the All-Star game is canceled, Columbus will get the next one.

This was about the owners collectively agreeing to say a big "FU" to the players.

Oh, and it also does show that the NHL cares about the fans... Why? I'll tell you later...

Old
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The WC being canceled doesn't do anything to the players. It's not a PR move, it's a logistical reality. They don't want to put down money for a deposit on the WC construction.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:59 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

well money saved on buying an authentic Leafs WC jersey. Can spend that money trying to find a CCM TBTC Leafs

Old
11-02-2012, 05:59 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
Quote:
The WC being canceled doesn't do anything to the players. It's not a PR move, it's a logistical reality. They don't want to put down money for a deposit on the WC construction.
It means if we have a shortened season this year HRR will take a pretty big hit and players end up paying from escrow wouldn't it?

Old
11-02-2012, 08:59 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
LeBrun

Quote:
Bill Daly and Steve Fehr are meeting Saturday in undisclosed location to resume bargaining talks
In other words, they'll be meeting by the dumpster in a back alley.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
LeBrun

In other words, they'll be meeting by the dumpster in a back alley.
Prediction: No progress made and no further plans to meet.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:44 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Dude. The move, while having logical reasons, is pure psychological warfare at its finest. Plain and simple. The players all love this event. Nearly every single player in the league wants to be a part of a Winter Classic at some point in their careers. Does it do anything to their "bottom line"? No.

Does it send a message? Absolutely. Yes.

Funny how shortly after the cancellation, it was "leaked" that the league had turned over a verbal proposal to shift the "make whole" provision onto the owners share ON TUESDAY.

Was this communicated to the players?

Granted, I don't have that level of access right now, but my magic 8-ball says; "Not likely." I base this mostly on the patterns that have emerged through all of this and the fact that some players (first hand information here) had not had the last NHL 50/50 proposal properly explained to them by the NHLPA. They reached out to their GMs and Owners to have their questions answered.

I am not ashamed to admit this...

But well played, Mr. Bettman. Well Played.

Closed Thread