HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
500. team

vCash: 62
connolly had knee surgery shortly after last season, whether or not that's the same injury as the one he's suffering from now i don't know.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Skating Tripods

vCash: 500
Went to last Friday's game. Meant to come on here on post some thoughts. Figure I'll do it now, even though it's a little dated.

There were definitely a lot of examples on Friday night of what happens with young defensemen. The Barrie dump-in on the powerplay was one of the more brutal plays of the night. Then Elliott made a terrible decision as well. Another element of what you're seeing here is that Chynoweth knows is that a lot of his forwards lack skill and creativity. The mandate has to be for the defensemen to get more involved because they're the majority of the team's puck carriers. Guys like Sgarbossa, Carey, Olver, and Agozzino can carry it, but a lot of their forwards are half-wall, cycle kind of players. That puts a lot of pressure on the defensemen and, as a result, creates odd-man rushes.

Abbotsford made a tremendous adjustment after the first period. In the first, Lake Erie used the transition game beautifully. They really dominated the first 12 minutes of that period by putting Abbotsford on their heels. After that, Abbotsford gave up the red line and held the blue line. Because of that, Lake Erie was forced to dump and chase or the defensemen would try to make moves and get caught. Chynoweth didn't want to abandon the gameplan, hence the odd-man rushes they gave up. I didn't pay much attention to Saturday's game. It was on TV in the background, but I was drinking whiskey and carving a pumpkin. Did enjoy Pickard's celebration, though.

Carey had a beautiful move on the first goal. Went bar down from in tight. Goal scorer's goal. Very nice play.

One major concern for me is that Olver has really been a non-factor most of the year. The last couple years, he's been noticeably better than the other guys on the ice. This year, he just appears to be floating around. No nose for the net, no second gear. He's a guy they really need to perform.

Sean Sullivan was brutal. Absolutely brutal. He didn't play much either, yet still managed to be a major detriment. They played five D a lot of the night. I think that played a role. The ice was also horrible. Guys were losing edges left and right. Led to some sluggish play from the D.

Thought it was one of Bordeleau's better games. He still had a few coverage mistakes, but made some solid hockey plays and dropped the gloves (called a roughing minor). It was after he went after Bartschi and then a smaller defenseman came after him.

No real thoughts on Aittokallio. Hard to expect a goaltender to make the second and third save or stop an odd-man rush.

Saw some chatter about Brad Malone. Certainly not the most skilled guy, but he's got a high hockey IQ and a great work ethic. Could be a 13th/14th forward.

One thing I do like about what the Monsters have done is bring in guys like Bryan Lerg, Bill Thomas and Thomas Pock. They aren't the flashiest kinds of guys, but they've been around the block a little. Those kinds of glue guys with a little bit of skill are important, especially at this level. You can always rely on constant shifts from those players and I'm sure they're helpful at practice or in the locker room.

Long road trip now. Probably won't hear much from me until they get back in town, but I'll lurk periodically.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
Went to last Friday's game. Meant to come on here on post some thoughts. Figure I'll do it now, even though it's a little dated.

There were definitely a lot of examples on Friday night of what happens with young defensemen. The Barrie dump-in on the powerplay was one of the more brutal plays of the night. Then Elliott made a terrible decision as well. Another element of what you're seeing here is that Chynoweth knows is that a lot of his forwards lack skill and creativity. The mandate has to be for the defensemen to get more involved because they're the majority of the team's puck carriers. Guys like Sgarbossa, Carey, Olver, and Agozzino can carry it, but a lot of their forwards are half-wall, cycle kind of players. That puts a lot of pressure on the defensemen and, as a result, creates odd-man rushes.

Abbotsford made a tremendous adjustment after the first period. In the first, Lake Erie used the transition game beautifully. They really dominated the first 12 minutes of that period by putting Abbotsford on their heels. After that, Abbotsford gave up the red line and held the blue line. Because of that, Lake Erie was forced to dump and chase or the defensemen would try to make moves and get caught. Chynoweth didn't want to abandon the gameplan, hence the odd-man rushes they gave up. I didn't pay much attention to Saturday's game. It was on TV in the background, but I was drinking whiskey and carving a pumpkin. Did enjoy Pickard's celebration, though.

Carey had a beautiful move on the first goal. Went bar down from in tight. Goal scorer's goal. Very nice play.

One major concern for me is that Olver has really been a non-factor most of the year. The last couple years, he's been noticeably better than the other guys on the ice. This year, he just appears to be floating around. No nose for the net, no second gear. He's a guy they really need to perform.

Sean Sullivan was brutal. Absolutely brutal. He didn't play much either, yet still managed to be a major detriment. They played five D a lot of the night. I think that played a role. The ice was also horrible. Guys were losing edges left and right. Led to some sluggish play from the D.

Thought it was one of Bordeleau's better games. He still had a few coverage mistakes, but made some solid hockey plays and dropped the gloves (called a roughing minor). It was after he went after Bartschi and then a smaller defenseman came after him.

No real thoughts on Aittokallio. Hard to expect a goaltender to make the second and third save or stop an odd-man rush.

Saw some chatter about Brad Malone. Certainly not the most skilled guy, but he's got a high hockey IQ and a great work ethic. Could be a 13th/14th forward.

One thing I do like about what the Monsters have done is bring in guys like Bryan Lerg, Bill Thomas and Thomas Pock. They aren't the flashiest kinds of guys, but they've been around the block a little. Those kinds of glue guys with a little bit of skill are important, especially at this level. You can always rely on constant shifts from those players and I'm sure they're helpful at practice or in the locker room.

Long road trip now. Probably won't hear much from me until they get back in town, but I'll lurk periodically.
Yeah I've noticed that as well. I've been totally unimpressed with Sullivan every game I've seen this season. Not sure what the deal is, or why Elliott has to be the guy to be paired up with him but it doesn't seem like a good match to me.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Welcome back Bender

Old
10-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Yeah I've noticed that as well. I've been totally unimpressed with Sullivan every game I've seen this season. Not sure what the deal is, or why Elliott has to be the guy to be paired up with him but it doesn't seem like a good match to me.
Yeah, I'd probably put Gaunce with him, thus forcing Gaunce to stay home and not make ill-advised pinches.

Could put him with Stollery, too, who has been quietly solid. I like his game a lot. I'm a big fan of defensemen that you don't want to notice. He's one of them. Just goes about his business.

You know, or just sit him, and play Stollery, Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce, Goers, and Pock.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:30 PM
klozge
Avs

Lake Erie Monsters Assign D Joel Chouinard to Denver Cutthroats.
MHH

Old
11-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Lake Erie Monsters Assign D Joel Chouinard to Denver Cutthroats.
MHH
Might be injury rehab.
He can't be worse than Sullivan can he?

Old
11-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Welcome back Bender

Thanks...

Quote:
Yeah, I'd probably put Gaunce with him, thus forcing Gaunce to stay home and not make ill-advised pinches.

Could put him with Stollery, too, who has been quietly solid. I like his game a lot. I'm a big fan of defensemen that you don't want to notice. He's one of them. Just goes about his business.

You know, or just sit him, and play Stollery, Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce, Goers, and Pock.
Quote:

That's probably TOO logical.

If I had to bet, I'd say that he's getting a 'pass' (a la Joe Sacco) because he's a 'veteran' as opposed to one of the greener less established rookies albeit in the AHL.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:46 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Connolly is returning tonight and it was a lower body injury that he had.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:51 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Connolly is returning tonight and it was a lower body injury that he had.
Good news

Thanks for the update.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

It's been well over 4 weeks since Hishon's "treatment", he also tweeted this a few days ago
I have given up all hope for him to make a recovery. Looks like we have another Mueller,

It seems every time I like an avs prospect/young player they break. I should cheer for another team for the avs sake.

Last edited by Duchene2MacKinnon: 11-01-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 08:07 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

http://atdhenet.tv/52561/watch-lake-...eoria-rivermen

Old
11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

The Captain!!

Old
11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
S3rkie

nice shot by Lerg!

Old
11-01-2012, 08:11 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
It's been well over 4 weeks since Hishon's "treatment", he also tweeted this a few days ago
I have given up all hope for him to make a recovery. Looks like we have another Mueller,

It seems every time I like an avs prospect/young player they break. I should cheer for another team for the avs sake.
I've also lost my optimism regarding Hishon but at least we have the Pirate now.

Monsters score early btw. 1:0

Old
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Who isn't playing for the forwards? Strong is playing so who is missing for the forwards?

Old
11-01-2012, 08:13 PM
S3rkie

finally a stream with a scoreboard

Old
11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Looks like Luke Walker and Stollery aren't playing today.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
S3rkie

nice pass by olver, but he probably should've shot there

Old
11-01-2012, 08:20 PM
S3rkie

big 5-3 kill here

Old
11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

They have to be more disciplined.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
S3rkie

So now that Lerg got the C does that mean its unlikely they will send him up if their is an injury on the avs?

Old
11-01-2012, 08:38 PM
S3rkie

sick save!

Old
11-01-2012, 08:40 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post