HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

AAA 2012 Draft

Old
11-07-2012, 06:28 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 500
Hey guys, I'm still around. Just been really hectic lately.

Will make my picks at some point tonight.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Randy Burridge, LW

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:03 PM
seventieslord

BudsBuster - You are the last team without a roster post. Please create one. See the top of the stickied threads in this section.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Eisbaren Berlin selects LW Jeff Friesen to bring scoring, and a little grit and defensive ability to complete our first line.

and RW Doug Brown to complete our 2nd line.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Eisbaren Berlin selects LW Jeff Friesen to bring scoring, and a little grit and defensive ability to complete our first line.

Probably the best remaining winger. Among the best in terms of offense, and, as you said, he does bring a strong well-rounded game. He was also a significant contributor to a Stanley Cup championship.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Johnny Engine

We're going to grab Paul Ysebaert. Someone PM Velociraptor, I have to run out the door.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:10 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I did bring up the idea of having a clock that doesn't run for 8 hours a day too, so I am interested in a clock that is both efficient and not unforgiving to peoples' lives and schedules. But no one seems to want to weigh in on that!
The stopped-clock system makes sense to me, but those in other time zones (especially Europe) might feel differently.

I don't think it matters too much which way we go, as long as you're able to manage it day to day and we don't end up with a whole lot of missing picks.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
BudsBuster

Quote:
BudsBuster - You are the last team without a roster post. Please create one. See the top of the stickied threads in this section.
Sorry guys, Im at work and Am not really allowed to be on here. So if someone else would like to take over, or wait till im home in 8 hrs.

BudsBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:36 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudsBuster View Post
Sorry guys, Im at work and Am not really allowed to be on here. So if someone else would like to take over, or wait till im home in 8 hrs.
no, it's fine, you can do it at home... just edit it every couple of days to keep your roster up to date, that's all.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
seventieslord

No pick has been made on time since Greg Adams.

Billy Shoe's clock actually expired at 8:24 PM EST so his pick was late.
Johnny Engine's clock therefore expired at 12:24 AM EST, so his pick was late as well.
So Velociraptor was skipped, likely without a PM, at 4:24 AM EST (I will PM him now)
then Chaos was autoskipped (now has 4 picks to make up; he is well aware)
BBS was skipped without a PM at 8:24 AM EST (I sent a PM)
So tony d has until 12:24 PM EST (an hour and a half) and then Dreakmur and I are up.

I have updated the draft board.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Rob Scuderi

I'll take LW, Lowell MacDonald

Seems to be a one-dimensional scorer who benefited from expansion. He was a productive member of the Century Line alongside Syl Apps Jr. and Jean Pronovost.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The stopped-clock system makes sense to me, but those in other time zones (especially Europe) might feel differently.

I don't think it matters too much which way we go, as long as you're able to manage it day to day and we don't end up with a whole lot of missing picks.
I am managing fine personally, BUT, we are missing a lot of picks!

I think we have just one team that is overseas.

My idea was to pick an 8 hour period that represents "overnight" for as many people as possible, so probably 1AM-9AM EST would make the most sense.

But it's just an idea, we don't have to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I'll take LW, Lowell MacDonald

Seems to be a one-dimensional scorer who benefited from expansion. He was a productive member of the Century Line alongside Syl Apps Jr. and Jean Pronovost.
I got the same impression after scouring scouting reports. Came to the same conclusion you did – if you’re after Tanti and you get scooped, this is the guy you settle on. Ultimately we decided we didn’t need another guy like this. But this is pretty much the guy with the best peak offense among available wingers.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Wayne Connelly, RW

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
I got the same impression after scouring scouting reports. Came to the same conclusion you did – if you’re after Tanti and you get scooped, this is the guy you settle on. Ultimately we decided we didn’t need another guy like this. But this is pretty much the guy with the best peak offense among available wingers.
Yeah I was sort of interested in him from the Pittsburgh angle awhile ago and wanted to learn more about him but couldn't find much. Really seems like he was just the shooter on that line, which isn't too bad with Stumpel needing someone to feed.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:04 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Alright, part of the thrill for me is doing bio's for guys I don't really know. That will be what a lot of my remaining picks will be based on (since I've fallen a fair bit behind).

G - Tommy Salo
RW - Murray Balfour
Rover - Steamer Maxwell
C - Doru Tureanu

Old
11-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Hawkman
I want my MTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Alright, part of the thrill for me is doing bio's for guys I don't really know. That will be what a lot of my remaining picks will be based on (since I've fallen a fair bit behind).

G - Tommy Salo
RW - Murray Balfour
Rover - Steamer Maxwell
C - Doru Tureanu
Yes! There were 2 guys I was waiting to see when they would be drafted and now that Balfour's gone, there can be only one. Yes, that was a cheesy Highlander reference. The other one should go soon. Nice picks.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:24 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post

G - Tommy Salo
RW - Murray Balfour
Rover - Steamer Maxwell
C - Doru Tureanu
Good luck finding more on Maxwell and Tureanu. Maxwell is the guy I was referring to when I said there is actually an early guy who we basically know was fast, and that's it. He's in the HHOF as a player, but Iain argues that it has as much to do with his coaching as his playing.

Tureanu - I would definitely focus more on his international career than his domestic one, as his domestic league was so weak.

I think this is about the right place for Salo - before the infamous blunder that seemed to break him, I think he was just a step or two below the league's elite.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:26 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Good luck finding more on Maxwell and Tureanu. Maxwell is the guy I was referring to when I said there is actually an early guy who we basically know was fast, and that's it. He's in the HHOF as a player, but Iain argues that it has as much to do with his coaching as his playing.

Tureanu - I would definitely focus more on his international career than his domestic one, as his domestic league was so weak.

I think this is about the right place for Salo - before the infamous blunder that seemed to break him, I think he was just a step or two below the league's elite.
Eh, why make the job easy?

Old
11-08-2012, 11:26 AM
seventieslord

As soon as Lyle Odelein was selected, we had this guy penciled in as our #5. So since he’s the only #5 we really want, and we still have a lot of good options for #4, we’re taking him now. For me, our most hotly anticipated selection of the draft:

Harold Snepsts, D

Snepsts was a Brad Marsh lite, and IMO just a tad below Lyle Odelein (if at all). Once Lyle went, the choice was clear who was going to anchor our 3rd pairing.

Snepsts was a notoriously slow skater (like Marsh) but was still a highly efficient defensive defenseman. He basically checked all the boxes: He was huge (6’3”, 210 in the 70s and 80s), he was a physically strong crease clearer, he hit well and often, he fought well and often (102 career fights), he killed a ton of penalties (49%), he was a leader, and he has a ton of playoff experience (93 games, including a finals run with Vancouver – during that season he was their #2 in overall TOI but the runaway #1 in ES icetime – which he had pulled off before – and assumedly the #1 in the playoffs since the regular season #1 was injured for the postseason)

Snepsts averaged 19.86 minutes for 1033 games. If you isolate his 7-year prime as Vancouver’s go-to defensive guy, he averaged 22.7 minutes a game which is a pretty impressive amount even before you consider that just 0.5 of that was PP time. (he had 34 PPGA from 1976-1982, 20 of which were in the 1979 season, leading to his respectable 31-point offensive peak) He was a fan favourite and was so respected for his defensive abilities that he actually played in two all-star games five years apart: 1977 and 1982. Even a 1990 hockey card said he “remains one of the league’s best defensive defensemen”.

As a bonus, he was one of the NHL’s last six helmetless players, has one of the best ‘staches in history, and has the fewest vowels ever in a 7-letter surname! Just say it. Snepsts. Love it.

interesting quotes from dropyourgloves.com, from fans who remember him:

In spite of his look and reputation as tough, old-school defenseman it was obvious how much he enjoyed taking time to teach the game to kids. Very classy person and dedicated professional who did whatever it took to get the job done.

HAROLD !!!! i can still hear the chant echo thru the Fabulous Forum ! I loved to hate big Harold ! a Helluva Defenseman Begrudgingly LOL .

Used his size to great advantage. Could hang in there with any one. Really enjoyed his role. I've never seen a guy laugh hysterically during fights like him.

One of the dirtiest players to ever play the game. Would throw butt-ends of sticks in the corners, and skate away from most fights.
(apparently not "most" if he fought 102 times)

Snepsts only has a recorded W/L/T record at dropyourgloves.com of 15-7-11 (typical of pre-90s players) but looking at his fight card, he was clearly not a spot picker and took on anyone. He had an epic three round bout with a player whose name I should not mention right now, and got the better of him, which might surprise you. (read the details - wow!) He also scored a win over Tiger Williams, and more impressively, decisively beat and laughed at a rookie Wendel Clark, in a year where Clark fought 31 times with a recorded record of 14-3-7.

Last edited by seventieslord: 11-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 12:23 PM
tony d
The man

I'm here now, the St.John's Monsters use their next pick to select defenseman Bryan Berard.

With 3 40 point seasons the 1997 NHL Rookie of the year Berard should add a lot of offense to my defense.

Next has been pmed.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.

Last edited by tony d: 11-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Fort Saskatchewan selects C Vladimir Ruzicka

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:16 PM
jkrx

The Steelers selects: Paul Cavallini, D

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Wayne Connelly, RW
I have this guy on my watchlist, but I wasn't sure what to make of him. And I think my eyes got tired and I got confused...

I have him with some high scoring finishes in the NHL and WHA...some all-star votes at wing(s) and then Norris votes too? I mean, if that's the case this guy makes sparkling ubiquity look hackneyed and depleted...

Must there have been some mistake or...?

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:31 PM
jkrx

Quote:
As soon as Lyle Odelein was selected, we had this guy penciled in as our #5. So since he’s the only #5 we really want, and we still have a lot of good options for #4, we’re taking him now. For me, our most hotly anticipated selection of the draft:

Harold Snepsts, D

Snepsts was a Brad Marsh lite, and IMO just a tad below Lyle Odelein (if at all). Once Lyle went, the choice was clear who was going to anchor our 3rd pairing.

Snepsts was a notoriously slow skater (like Marsh) but was still a highly efficient defensive defenseman. He basically checked all the boxes: He was huge (6’3”, 210 in the 70s and 80s), he was a physically strong crease clearer, he hit well and often, he fought well and often (102 career fights), he killed a ton of penalties (49%), he was a leader, and he has a ton of playoff experience (93 games, including a finals run with Vancouver – during that season he was their #2 in overall TOI but the runaway #1 in ES icetime – which he had pulled off before – and assumedly the #1 in the playoffs since the regular season #1 was injured for the postseason)

Snepsts averaged 19.86 minutes for 1033 games. If you isolate his 7-year prime as Vancouver’s go-to defensive guy, he averaged 22.7 minutes a game which is a pretty impressive amount even before you consider that just 0.5 of that was PP time. (he had 34 PPGA from 1976-1982, 20 of which were in the 1979 season, leading to his respectable 31-point offensive peak) He was a fan favourite and was so respected for his defensive abilities that he actually played in two all-star games five years apart: 1977 and 1982. Even a 1990 hockey card said he “remains one of the league’s best defensive defensemen”.

As a bonus, he was one of the NHL’s last six helmetless players, has one of the best ‘staches in history, and has the fewest vowels ever in a 7-letter surname! Just say it. Snepsts. Love it.

interesting quotes from dropyourgloves.com, from fans who remember him:

In spite of his look and reputation as tough, old-school defenseman it was obvious how much he enjoyed taking time to teach the game to kids. Very classy person and dedicated professional who did whatever it took to get the job done.

HAROLD !!!! i can still hear the chant echo thru the Fabulous Forum ! I loved to hate big Harold ! a Helluva Defenseman Begrudgingly LOL .

Used his size to great advantage. Could hang in there with any one. Really enjoyed his role. I've never seen a guy laugh hysterically during fights like him.

One of the dirtiest players to ever play the game. Would throw butt-ends of sticks in the corners, and skate away from most fights.
(apparently not "most" if he fought 102 times)

Snepsts only has a recorded W/L/T record at dropyourgloves.com of 15-7-11 (typical of pre-90s players) but looking at his fight card, he was clearly not a spot picker and took on anyone. He had an epic three round bout with a player whose name I should not mention right now, and got the better of him, which might surprise you. (read the details - wow!) He also scored a win over Tiger Williams, and more impressively, decisively beat and laughed at a rookie Wendel Clark, in a year where Clark fought 31 times with a recorded record of 14-3-7.
I'm pretty sure he fought more than that.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:41 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I have this guy on my watchlist, but I wasn't sure what to make of him. And I think my eyes got tired and I got confused...

I have him with some high scoring finishes in the NHL and WHA...some all-star votes at wing(s) and then Norris votes too? I mean, if that's the case this guy makes sparkling ubiquity look hackneyed and depleted...

Must there have been some mistake or...?
he got all-star votes at wing for scoring a lot in 1968 in the expansion division. It was a good season but he didn't really deserve any all-star votes.

The Norris vote was legitimate. he actually played defense for most of one season, I think 1971.

His overall offensive resume is pretty good; he is an appropriate pick right now. It's tougher to judge a guy who was at his best in the WHA, but if you scale his numbers down he still had 60 point potential a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I'm pretty sure he fought more than that.
It's possible. I have found dropyourgloves.com to be a pretty reliable source but I can't say 100% for sure that it's accurate for all fights prior to the 90s. In any case, it's an unbiased 3rd party source that can at least quote us a total for comparisons to other players.