HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Continued from...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1256719

Old
10-22-2012, 09:32 AM
OHLTG

While Zweep might not get time against HoSang, others with plenty of pugilistic ability could very well be. Having that protection won't hurt anyone. For instance...a guy like David Broll, who can put up some points and gets near top-line minutes, could be thrown out there against Ho-Sang. That's when you want a Bilcke type out there.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:47 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
While Zweep might not get time against HoSang, others with plenty of pugilistic ability could very well be. Having that protection won't hurt anyone. For instance...a guy like David Broll, who can put up some points and gets near top-line minutes, could be thrown out there against Ho-Sang. That's when you want a Bilcke type out there.
So what you're finally saying is Bilcke is the type of guy who can't put up many points. So the Spits have a team that can't score many goals and have 2 guys on the team that can't put up points in Bilcke and Clark, add in young guys like Studnicka and Verbeek who can't be counted upon to contribute you have 4 forwards right there that can't bring much to the table. Spits could afford to have guys like Greenop and Wallace around because the team scored a lot goals and they can leave those two to clean up the scraps. Do you finally see the issue when you don't have the goal scoring and employ 2 tough guys that can't do anything but fight?

Old
10-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Jackman

Quote:
Bilcke is not close to same caliber as Broll, so the minute you put Bilcke out there to go after a guy like Broll you're essentially playing short handed. Bilcke misses about 90% of his checks and he can't keep up to the play.

And to answer your earlier question, yes I do watch the games. Seriously.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Ottomatic

Bilcke is more an Adam Wallace - he's a willing fighter, but he's not an intimidator by any stretch.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:16 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Bilcke is more an Adam Wallace - he's a willing fighter, but he's not an intimidator by any stretch.
I agree with this. I think we need to stop discussing the merits of Bilcke and start discussing how this team starts playing better and developing more consistency. Bilcke has played 75 games in this league and has 1g 5a 245 pim we know what he is now it's not going to change

Old
10-22-2012, 10:34 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
So what you're finally saying is Bilcke is the type of guy who can't put up many points. So the Spits have a team that can't score many goals and have 2 guys on the team that can't put up points in Bilcke and Clark, add in young guys like Studnicka and Verbeek who can't be counted upon to contribute you have 4 forwards right there that can't bring much to the table. Spits could afford to have guys like Greenop and Wallace around because the team scored a lot goals and they can leave those two to clean up the scraps. Do you finally see the issue when you don't have the goal scoring and employ 2 tough guys that can't do anything but fight?
Please show me where I've said Bilcke will score "many" points. I've said he has the ability to put up SOME points, and isn't just a one-dimensional goon, as some really want to believe on here. Bilcke has shown an ability to play some offensive game. Just ask Campbell and, to a lesser extent, the Brampton goalie on Friday. Instead of getting rid of the intimidation, send a guy like Studnicka down as he hasn't shown enough in any area to this point. BTW, Clark had 12 goals last year. I'm quite surprised he hasn't put up the same points as he did with the Gens.

Rayzor, as long as people keep thinking Bilcke is useless on a team like this, I'm going to keep defending the kid. Simple as that. If people don't want the topic brought up, you're free to stop discussing it.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:46 AM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor

At the time the comparison of Maletta and Nemisz probably fairly apt,if u recall the 1st 3/4 of the season Nemisz in his 1st yr struggled and then started putting things together,his off ice training improved/conditioning/strength and he went on to have a nice career in the O
Maletta started with similiar circumstances though injury and illness really stalled his dev until the end of the season where in the last quarter plus playoffs one could see some some potential
Those injuries/illnesses I m sure hampered his off ice conditioning/strength gain
This past summer chose to stay in Windsor,added strength ,etc as he got ready for the season
He really did not have a real good camp however the start of his season was pretty good in many areas 5 pts in 1st 7 games,his physical play improved and I stated then that he along with some of the youngsters were impressing early unlike many if not most of the vets Vail notwithstanding
It seems Maletta needs to play a desperate game all the time to be effective,during the past 6 games his production has fallen off 1 pt,a lonely assist 5 games,not as much physical play,scoring chances drying up,and being called upon less in neccessary situations
You what they say about scoring chances drying u know its trouble
At least Johnson,Clark and Clarke are getting scoring opps just not scoring
Maletta is probably lucky that the 4th line forwards are not ready for top 9 duty
Verbeek and to a lesser extent Studnicka are just kids not ready for complete prime duty,though I love Verbeeks' upside,while Bilcke is destined for 4th line duty in my view providing energy and protection
If Maletta wants to get to top 6 forward status he has to produce and be more consistent
Not unlike many of the forwards on this team
If Koko were to come back,dont think it would look good for Maletta as his ice time would further be reduced
He and Ben Johnson need to be much more productive
Johnson"s season long slump is intruiging to say the least
At the start of the season I expected Johnson and Maletta to make significant contributions to the offence
So far neither has done so

Old
10-22-2012, 11:05 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Please show me where I've said Bilcke will score "many" points. I've said he has the ability to put up SOME points, and isn't just a one-dimensional goon, as some really want to believe on here. Bilcke has shown an ability to play some offensive game. Just ask Campbell and, to a lesser extent, the Brampton goalie on Friday. Instead of getting rid of the intimidation, send a guy like Studnicka down as he hasn't shown enough in any area to this point. BTW, Clark had 12 goals last year. I'm quite surprised he hasn't put up the same points as he did with the Gens.

Rayzor, as long as people keep thinking Bilcke is useless on a team like this, I'm going to keep defending the kid. Simple as that. If people don't want the topic brought up, you're free to stop discussing it.
You're just playing the semantics game I said many and you said some. You're really digging to the bottom of the barrel pointing to Bilcke's only goal of his career against Jack Campbell, Sam Studnicka had 3 points in that game as well. Maybe Bilcke just needs a game where the score is 10-9 to show off his offensive exploits. Yes OHLTG I can read a stat sheet on Clark having 12 goals, if you want to be condescending that is your choice but I am not going to participate in your game. You can keep on defending Bilcke game after the game but the numbers don't lie in the form of the limited shifts he gets and the minimal points he puts up. Maybe if he started taking pride in trying to create chances instead of punching people the view of him would change. Don't blame people here for their views the eye ball test is plenty enough.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:07 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I agree with this. I think we need to stop discussing the merits of Bilcke and start discussing how this team starts playing better and developing more consistency. Bilcke has played 75 games in this league and has 1g 5a 245 pim we know what he is now it's not going to change
I completely understand that a guy like Zweep would not get ice time against Ho-Sang I just through out a name that would be in that class group. Maybe a guy like Sol from Kitchener would get ice time but regardless. If you don't have the guys like Bilke, Bowen, Greenop, Jansen...your guys will get pushed around.

But regardless that discussion has sailed as you guys said. I think this team has some real potential. If u were to say at the beginning of the year that Ebert would be one of our top defencemen and deserve to be recognized as such I would have strapped a straight jacket to you and shipped you to the loonie bin.

This team has alot of talent theyre just inconsisant and some are an example of unperformance. Although lets see around the 25 game mark..that's usually when you can gauge your team properly.

Last edited by spits2timechamps: 10-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old
10-22-2012, 11:23 AM
RayzorIsDull

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think this week will tell us a lot about this team as a whole. Three games against teams they have already lost to shootout against Sarnia but still a rather lackluster effort. The other 2 against teams that clearly look to be more talented but Windsor did not play well against those 2. If they don't play well against those 2 teams again I don't think you can just chalk it up to Windsor not playing well I think it would speak the lack of talent compared to those other teams. I agree with what you say about Maletta and Johnson, I think the Koko ship has sailed I guess we will see if Koko is on the super series roster for Russia. WJC are in Russia as well and the KHL shuts down the league during that time. Johnson probably is the biggest disappointment 2g this year and 1 being an empty net.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
OHLTG

Rayzor, how am I condescending? You said Clark couldn't put up points. I said he had 12 goals last year, and this year I'm surprised he hasn't been on the same pace.

Quote:
You can keep on defending Bilcke game after the game but the numbers don't lie in the form of the limited shifts he gets and the minimal points he puts up. Maybe if he started taking pride in trying to create chances instead of punching people the view of him would change. Don't blame people here for their views the eye ball test is plenty enough.
He's getting a fairly regular shift and points are not the end-all and be-all of hockey. People don't seem to catch that, though. They see "oh, he has a point this year in 13 games, plus 26 PIM. What a goon!" Don't mention the fact that, out of all the guys who have played in 13 games, just two have a plus/minus above -1...and he's one of them. I know he's not out there to put up 20-25 points a year, yet, but give the kid credit where it's due. He's played far smarter hockey this year and is trying to prove he has the talent. Can't be easy when people keep saying "you're not scoring, so you're a goon!"

Old
10-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Ottomatic

Clark has 12 goals and 14 points - a whole two assists. Big whoop. 14 points in 50 games. Lack of assists and big jump in goals tells me it was a fluke.

Year before 9 points in 48 games, season before that 3 points in 51 games for a whopping total of 30 points in 160 games.

11 assists in 160 games - he's not creating for his teammates or part of the offense. Epic waste of space for our OA spot.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:50 PM
youngblood10

With the skill set of this team in general, trying to create scoring opportunities for teammates is shooting themselves in the foot. What they need to do and have done when successful is through everything and anything at the net from anywhere and hope it hits someone and goes in. Ugly garbage goals is what they have to score. Not going to see a highlight of the night goal coming from this group but they all count just the same.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
KnightsInsider93

I've seen reports saying the Spits are close to a trade?

I know they only currently have 12 Fwds and 8 D on the roster. So on those numbers. I'm going to suggest they trade a Defenseman for a Forward. Just to make things a bit more comfortable. Probably a 94/95 birthyear.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsInsider93 View Post
I've seen reports saying the Spits are close to a trade?

I know they only currently have 12 Fwds and 8 D on the roster. So on those numbers. I'm going to suggest they trade a Defenseman for a Forward. Just to make things a bit more comfortable. Probably a 94/95 birthyear.
Would not surprise me,been thinking about roster configuration for a awhile,an extra forward would be nice for sure,maybe Pawley from your Knights,though deals between Windsor and London are rare

Old
10-22-2012, 03:31 PM
OHLTG

Where are said rumours and who's involved? I haven't heard anything, so am curious.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Ottomatic

Defenceman has to be Bateman as he could still be seen to have value to a team who might think the kid just needs a change of scenery. Devlin is the only other that could be dealt, but has no value - at least in not getting a player worth anything in return.

I mean we traded two second rounders for a underperforming Marchese last year - maybe a GM is as stupid as Rychel was in making that deal. Though maybe the Spits want to get out of Bateman's "Gold "education package like the did when they traded Webermin for a song.

Realistic best case for us would probably see us dealing Bateman for an equally underachieving though once highly touted forward.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Defenceman has to be Bateman as he could still be seen to have value to a team who might think the kid just needs a change of scenery. Devlin is the only other that could be dealt, but has no value - at least in not getting a player worth anything in return.

I mean we traded two second rounders for a underperforming Marchese last year - maybe a GM is as stupid as Rychel was in making that deal. Though maybe the Spits want to get out of Bateman's "Gold "education package like the did when they traded Webermin for a song.

Realistic best case for us would probably see us dealing Bateman for an equally underachieving though once highly touted forward.
I definitely could see that happening with Bateman moved for a forward
Unfortunately he has regressed since last season,dont know why,
after all he is not physical,and shown little offensive abilities this season,seems to be a confidence issue
As for Devlin he has been very inconsistent this season,bad for a stretch,ok for another,now bad again Friday although he had some help in that area
I still like his upside,he really played well against Sarnia and helped shut down Galchenyuk that day,need to see of that,he has size,strength and can skate its time to be more consistent
Despite the Spits 1st place standing,beyond the top 4 D of Seiloff,Posa Ebert and rookie Sanido,the rest consisting of Bowen,Devlin,Bateman and McNaughton are playing a nasty game of musical chairs
There is oppourtunity here,2 of those 4 need to step up to claim reg 5/6 duty

Old
10-22-2012, 04:34 PM
KnightsInsider93

Quote:
Where are said rumours and who's involved? I haven't heard anything, so am curious.
I heard this from twitter. A guy named Todd Cordell (Covers the New Jersey Devils NHL) but is in Barrie covering them right now for the lockout.

Knight's Like Pawley and I think he's found a spot on a line with Welychka and Elie. If Hunter doesn't think he'll use him then sure why not trade him. For me, Devlin was the name that came to mind. But Bateman is also a possibility (whoever scouts like more)

London Knights currently have 15 Fwds with 7 D on their Roster. A comfortable number is 14 Fwds and 8 D (No harm in having extras though.) The only other team like with these numbers (15 and 7) is the Mississauga Steelheads.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsInsider93 View Post
I heard this from twitter. A guy named Todd Cordell (Covers the New Jersey Devils NHL) but is in Barrie covering them right now for the lockout.

Knight's Like Pawley and I think he's found a spot on a line with Welychka and Elie. If Hunter doesn't think he'll use him then sure why not trade him. For me, Devlin was the name that came to mind. But Bateman is also a possibility (whoever scouts like more)

London Knights currently have 15 Fwds with 7 D on their Roster. A comfortable number is 14 Fwds and 8 D (No harm in having extras though.) The only other team like with these numbers (15 and 7) is the Mississauga Steelheads.
Mississauga has 8, so I'm not so sure if it would be them. Unless they are unloading their players right now which is doubtful. Around the trade deadline seems more realistic.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Every Tuesday, my 92-year-old mother-in-law and I go to Lakeshore Cinemas to catch the latest flick.

A couple of weeks ago, we entered the show and were amazed to see two rows of seats reserved. We sat directly behind one of the reserved rows and within a couple of minutes, about 24 young men came in and sat down.

Just before the movie started, four of these young men got up out of their seats and walked to the front of the theatre, took off their hats and to our amazement they started to sing, O Canada. Everyone present at the show stood up and joined them in signing our national anthem.

What a delight to see young adults represent our country in such an honourable way. As we sat down, I asked the young man in front of me who these 24 young men were? He replied, “Windsor Spitfires.”

I know the Spitfire organization has been through a lot in the last several months. However, if they continue to select and develop young men with this type of character, pride, and honour for their country, no matter what the outcome on the ice may be, they will always be No. 1 in my books.

ADRIAN LANCOP, LaSalle
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/10/22/73469/

Err..who wants to bet the four players were Ho-Sang, Sanvido, Verbeek and Dekort(?) and what this women is praising was hazing?

Old
10-22-2012, 05:43 PM
hockeyboy4

it was studnika, verbeek, dekort and savidno, ho sang didnt show up so apparently the players fined him 50 dollars as a joke.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:45 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/10/22/73469/

Err..who wants to bet the four players were Ho-Sang, Sanvido, Verbeek and Dekort(?) and what this women is praising was hazing?
At least it wasn't a hot box. If that's the hazing they're doing these days, I have no issues.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
hockeyboy4

czinder pointless in 10 games, healthy scratch looks like hes not doing much
grant webermen with 9 points in 11 games

Closed Thread