HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 08:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You want improvements?

Allowing Belleville to score one goal today, and that came late in the third. A sound defensive game where the only reason we lost is because we were beat by one of the best goaltenders in the game. I don't know if you're looking for dominating wins against every team we play on a Sunday, but this was a game we competed hard in and almost had it, save for a really good goal late.

BTW, look at the standings - we're in first and almost every team is within a couple points. You may look at that as "we've had our chances to pull away, and didn't", or look at it how I do in the "we're right in the thick of it" sense.
Well Belleville doesn't score very much and when a defenseman is your leading point getter that's an issue and with Gaunce out they don't have much in the goal scoring department. So they had a good performance today but got whipped on Friday and almost gave up 50 shots. They're in 2nd place in the division and 7th in the conference using winning %. We can look at good signs like their play at home, Vail, Rychel, Ho Sang but then there are huge issues like the goals against, penalty kill, players expected to take the next step but they have regressed. The negative signs are much harder to address. I guess we will see how they shape up against Plymouth on Friday.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Hawks3

Another too many men penalty, Windsor probably leads the league in these. Just like last year.

Windsor needs to get serious on penalty shots. They seem to loose the handle and dont get shots away. It is a brutal effort. I think Kerby has shot every time and hasn't scored yet. Wonder why Vail (Point leader) never gets a chance.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:02 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend it's getting tough to watch some times. This performance was a low point of the year imo. You're facing a team playing their 3rd game in 2.5 days, missing their top scorer Gaunce and a team that blew 2 straight games on the road. This was the best effort the Spits could put forth? The talk about consistency needs to stop because it's not happening, moves need to be made. I would like to give credit to Subban in the shootout but he did what every other goalie does against Windsor in a shootout and that's stop every puck.
If it's so tough to watch, then do us all a favor and don't. There was nothing wrong with the effort today, they lost in a shootout to the best goalie in the league. You were pretty quiet after the London win, so you must have a lot of moaning saved up and need to vent or something. Yes, Belleville played 3 in 2 and a half or whatever you're claiming as proof that Windsor's effort sucked, but they lost the first two and were pretty motivated to go home with some points by the 3rd period and they didn't look super tired to me. They need to find a way to score more consistently, but it wasn't for lack of effort today. Belleville is a solid club, and we hardly bent over for them. Save your belly aching for a game that deserves it, there have been a couple. This wasn't one of them.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
If it's so tough to watch, then do us all a favor and don't. There was nothing wrong with the effort today, they lost in a shootout to the best goalie in the league. You were pretty quiet after the London win, so you must have a lot of moaning saved up and need to vent or something. Yes, Belleville played 3 in 2 and a half or whatever you're claiming as proof that Windsor's effort sucked, but they lost the first two and were pretty motivated to go home with some points by the 3rd period and they didn't look super tired to me. They need to find a way to score more consistently, but it wasn't for lack of effort today. Belleville is a solid club, and we hardly bent over for them. Save your belly aching for a game that deserves it, there have been a couple. This wasn't one of them.
Hmmm I wonder why I couldn't say much after the London game. Maybe because the game wasn't on tv due to issues from Cogeco? That couldn't have been the reason though because that's easiest one. You fail to mention I didn't discuss the Kitchener game. One thing is for sure if it's not you, it's OHLTG saying give credit to the other team they played hard, the other team is really talented. Also the expression is being tough to watch is I am fortunate to watch it on tv and not pay to watch the game. I know of a few people that went to the game and two of them used this word to describe the game "snoozer." My frustration comes from at this time last year the Spits had 18 points through 19 games, this year they have 20 points through 19 games. So through the whole "rebuilding" this team really isn't any better off from when they started shipping players out last year. These facts are not in dispute.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Hmmm I wonder why I couldn't say much after the London game. Maybe because the game wasn't on tv due to issues from Cogeco? That couldn't have been the reason though because that's easiest one. You fail to mention I didn't discuss the Kitchener game. One thing is for sure if it's not you, it's OHLTG saying give credit to the other team they played hard, the other team is really talented. Also the expression is being tough to watch is I am fortunate to watch it on tv and not pay to watch the game. I know of a few people that went to the game and two of them used this word to describe the game "snoozer." My frustration comes from at this time last year the Spits had 18 points through 19 games, this year they have 20 points through 19 games. So through the whole "rebuilding" this team really isn't any better off from when they started shipping players out last year. These facts are not in dispute.
then it's time to shell out a couple bucks to see them play live, perhaps their effort doesn't translate through the HD broadcast very well. you're obviously missing something by watching the games only on tv. As far as being no better than last year, there weren't NHL players playing last year, competition is a bit tougher. that is also a fact that is not in dispute. They are still a young club if not a rebuilding one in your eyes, and we didn't benefit from having veteran NHL guys sent back.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Another fact that's not disputable - the Western division has four teams within two points of each other, while the conference has seven teams within four points. You may believe we should be all high and mighty at this stage, but, if nothing else, we're competitive for the most part. Sure, we had an ugly game against Guelph and another one against London. What'd we respond with? A big win in Guelph and an impressive victory against London.

I'm with Jughead - you can't really judge effort on TV. I watch many of the replay when I get home and it's night-and-day. Two very different views of the game. Yes, Belleville was a snoozer, but were you expecting much more from a defensive squad?

You need to come out to a live game and see this team in person. Sitting at home, watching, and criticizing is far different than watching it in person. You should know how much more of the game you can see when you're live, having been to umpteen games over the years. They play Saginaw at home next week; a nice rivalry game that should be anything but a "snooze" fest. Come out and watch, unless Saginaw doesn't interest you either?

Old
11-05-2012, 12:21 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
then it's time to shell out a couple bucks to see them play live, perhaps their effort doesn't translate through the HD broadcast very well. you're obviously missing something by watching the games only on tv. As far as being no better than last year, there weren't NHL players playing last year, competition is a bit tougher. that is also a fact that is not in dispute. They are still a young club if not a rebuilding one in your eyes, and we didn't benefit from having veteran NHL guys sent back.
I still have a hard time rationalizing spending 20+ dollars on a average OHL team to each their own I guess. Competition is a bit tougher we know that but I don't think anybody expects this team to be below Erie, Soo or Saginaw. It's up to the players to get victories against a team like Sarnia, we can talk about Galchenyuk being there and if there was an NHL season he might be in Montreal but even if there was a season I was convinced he was going to be in Sarnia this year due to the lack of game time he got last year due to injury. Last year both London and Plymouth had terrific core's of 17-18 year olds. London had Griffith, Harrington, Rupert x2, Tierney, Anderson, Welychka, Maataa, Athanasiou, Horvat and Domi. They had some guy 19 year olds like Houser, Namestnikov, Tinordi and Knight but that lineup as is was still one of the best in the league before acquiring Watson and McKegg. Plymouth last year had Noesen, Rakell, Meurs, Miller, Wilson. Some good 19 year olds in Levi,Wedgewood, Heard, Aleardi. Right now Windsor doesn't have the crop of 19 year olds those teams have but Rychel also paid the price to bring in OA's like Clark and Schoenmakers.

The disconnect occurs where they should be and what they are actually are. I don't think Rychel has been making good trades as of late eg. Devlin, Marchese. Look at a team like Owen Sound who wasn't going to be as good last year based upon how much they lost off that championship team DeGray still went out and got Catenacci for Fritsch and a 2014 2nd round pick. DeGray knew he had a 2 years of a high caliber guy like Catenacci and it's paying off large now. Regardless of your attitude towards the team last year and what's going on this year. Where is Rychel getting that player like Catenacci? Puempel only wanted to play in Kitchener that's fine and they paid a small price for a probable 35-40 goal man. I don't see these trades on the horizon any time soon with how competitive the league is.

I bet if you told Rychel and Boughner after stripping the team last October and November that they would just be a .500 team they would have said you were crazy but this is the situation they are in right now. They have no picks of value for 2013, they have players who haven't made the necessary strides and right now the only players of value the Spits have would be Vail, Rychel, Sieloff, Ho-Sang maybe a lesser extent Schoenmakers and Posa. You need to do something either to make this team better or gain picks back they can't just keep on playing average hockey. A sportscaster once said you are either trying to win a championship or rebuilding an average team just kills your fanbase.

Last edited by RayzorIsDull: 11-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Another fact that's not disputable - the Western division has four teams within two points of each other, while the conference has seven teams within four points. You may believe we should be all high and mighty at this stage, but, if nothing else, we're competitive for the most part. Sure, we had an ugly game against Guelph and another one against London. What'd we respond with? A big win in Guelph and an impressive victory against London.

I'm with Jughead - you can't really judge effort on TV. I watch many of the replay when I get home and it's night-and-day. Two very different views of the game. Yes, Belleville was a snoozer, but were you expecting much more from a defensive squad?

You need to come out to a live game and see this team in person. Sitting at home, watching, and criticizing is far different than watching it in person. You should know how much more of the game you can see when you're live, having been to umpteen games over the years. They play Saginaw at home next week; a nice rivalry game that should be anything but a "snooze" fest. Come out and watch, unless Saginaw doesn't interest you either?
I find watching games at home better because I get actual replays and you can see where a breakdown occured or who made the mistake. The biggest criticism I have had of the gameday experience is the lack of replays on the scoreboard. I was expecting Windsor to take it to Belleville who was tired. Jughead brings up Belleville not wanting to go winless on their trip. What about Windsor wanting to atone for the poor performance against Kitchener?

It's not about being high and mighty in the standings. I am just asking a team to win 2 straight games on occasion. Let's just say after the NHL Draft and guys like Johnson, Clarke, Vail and Sieloff being drafted and the Spits getting Ho-Sang there was more enthusiasm regarding the team as there is now. Yes beating London and Guelph has nice but there needs to be more from this team just pointing to those 2 games.

No Saginaw doesn't come close to interesting me only Trocheck and Locke interest me other than that Saginaw isn't very good.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Libbs

With the inconsistency not withstanding, the team is still in the thick of things in the conference. Outside of OS, every other team in the West seems to be in a deadlock. It seems the consistency thing isn't just affecting Windsor.

With the current state of things, it's hard to be too critical of the team. The next 10 games should start to show a clearer picture of the conference and where this team actually sits with regards to the other teams who were expected to be tops in the conference.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
With the inconsistency not withstanding, the team is still in the thick of things in the conference. Outside of OS, every other team in the West seems to be in a deadlock. It seems the consistency thing isn't just affecting Windsor.

With the current state of things, it's hard to be too critical of the team. The next 10 games should start to show a clearer picture of the conference and where this team actually sits with regards to the other teams who were expected to be tops in the conference.
Libbs

I would agree with what u are saying everybody in conference save for Owen Sd has had a roller coaster type start to the season,Windsor's can be quite maddening at times,the shootout woes,underacheiving players,u never know what team u are going to see,especially on the road,they have been pretty good at home 5-1-0-3 in the last 9,unbeaten in the last 5 in reg time
As u said most are in the same boat,and of those none of teams have lost an impact player like Koko,I imagine if the rangers lost Reider,the Knights Mataa,Guelph lost Richard,the Hounds lost Schumacher,the whalers lost Rakell,I think people get my drift,in a conference so tight between 6 or 8 teams the loss of an impact player may result in less then stellar results
It can be maddening at times,but I am sure most of the teams feel that way

Old
11-05-2012, 01:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

Some teams have started their climb though. Owen Sound has been hot all year, Kitchener has won 7 of 10, Plymouth has points in 7 of their last 10 with 6 wins. I'm not a huge believer in Guelph because they give up too many goals, their goal scoring will keep them in games though. I am still skeptical of Windsor because they can't keep pucks out of their net. This is why winning 7 or 8 of 10 is going to be tougher. Kitchener has had issues scoring goals but they have won 7 of 10 because they are one of the best defensive teams in the league. Give me a real good defense and things could change but right they have had issues on defense for the past few years now.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Some teams have started their climb though. Owen Sound has been hot all year, Kitchener has won 7 of 10, Plymouth has points in 7 of their last 10 with 6 wins. I'm not a huge believer in Guelph because they give up too many goals, their goal scoring will keep them in games though. I am still skeptical of Windsor because they can't keep pucks out of their net. This is why winning 7 or 8 of 10 is going to be tougher. Kitchener has had issues scoring goals but they have won 7 of 10 because they are one of the best defensive teams in the league. Give me a real good defense and things could change but right they have had issues on defense for the past few years now.
No doubt this team has issues lol. Like I said the next 10 should really start thinning out the pack. Will we still be towards the top at that point? Not the way the team is currently going, no. Way too many passengers. But a lot can happen in 10 games.

Legend, losing Koko really hurt but I don't feel enough was done to replace him. They were banking on internal improvement of certain players (Johnson, Maletta) to replace those points, but it hasn't worked out thus far.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Libbs

I would agree with what u are saying everybody in conference save for Owen Sd has had a roller coaster type start to the season,Windsor's can be quite maddening at times,the shootout woes,underacheiving players,u never know what team u are going to see,especially on the road,they have been pretty good at home 5-1-0-3 in the last 9,unbeaten in the last 5 in reg time
As u said most are in the same boat,and of those none of teams have lost an impact player like Koko,I imagine if the rangers lost Reider,the Knights Mataa,Guelph lost Richard,the Hounds lost Schumacher,the whalers lost Rakell,I think people get my drift,in a conference so tight between 6 or 8 teams the loss of an impact player may result in less then stellar results
It can be maddening at times,but I am sure most of the teams feel that way
The Whalers did lose JT Miller which is probably along the lines of losing Khokhlachev. I still expect the Whalers to make their move in the standings and to possibly make a move or two to contend. The pieces are there, they need to give up fewer goals but since their D did have big turnover there is probably hope. Carrick has played well, Curcuruto has bee good, Karlsson is adjusting to the NA game, they did get Levi back and Crombeen is a solid D. Noesen is probably the biggest surprise so far with his lack of production you would think a 2x 30 goal guy will get it together though.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:00 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
No doubt this team has issues lol. Like I said the next 10 should really start thinning out the pack. Will we still be towards the top at that point? Not the way the team is currently going, no. Way too many passengers. But a lot can happen in 10 games.

Legend, losing Koko really hurt but I don't feel enough was done to replace him. They were banking on internal improvement of certain players (Johnson, Maletta) to replace those points, but it hasn't worked out thus far.
I really agree with the last paragraph. I think Windsor needs to find that guy who can really put the puck in the net. Owen Sound, Niagara, Kitchener and Barrie all bought low on Catenacci, Ritchie, Puempel and Athanasiou respectively and are reaping the rewards. Maybe Rychel thought that with Marchese but there were also red flags about him regarding work ethic. Of course that guy could have been Riley Barber, probably should have sold out to get him after his year in Dubuque.

Last edited by RayzorIsDull: 11-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 02:03 PM
youngblood10

What the Spits are missing are those impact 19 year olds who make teams go in this league.

The good thing is they are hanging in there with a core of 94's. Not pretty at times but they are plugging along in a tough conference and league on the whole.

Big question is next season will that group flourish or have they flat lined. It will be up to management to figure that out and what moves need to be made.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:08 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
What the Spits are missing are those impact 19 year olds who make teams go in this league.

The good thing is they are hanging in there with a core of 94's. Not pretty at times but they are plugging along in a tough conference and league on the whole.

Big question is next season will that group flourish or have they flat lined. It will be up to management to figure that out and what moves need to be made.
Excellent point u are correct the bulk of players are 94-95 born,and a team expects improvement every year from them
This year to date Bateman,Maletta and Johnson have not,and those players were figured to improve
The 96 born players have been good with HoSang,Sanvido and Verbeek all showing considerable promise

Old
11-05-2012, 02:25 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I really agree with the last paragraph. I think Windsor needs to find that guy who can really put the puck in the net. Owen Sound, Niagara, Kitchener and Barrie all bought low on Catenacci, Ritchie, Puempel and Athanasiou respectively and are reaping the rewards. Maybe Rychel thought that with Marchese but there were also red flags about him regarding work ethic. Of course that guy could have been Riley Barber, probably should have sold out to get him after his year in Dubuque.
Rayzor

regarding Barber he apparently was intent on the college route despite the fact he had Vail and Seiloff as teamates,the Spits offered a gold pk did not work,whats team supposed to do
As for the players u mentioned,Peumpel wanted only Kitchener as most figure they would be taking a run at it this year in their 50th,he would be a 1 and done,Catenacci was last year when the spits did not have the picks or players,got them later in the campbell deal,Ritchie despite his obvious talent very inconsistent,last yr in playoffs 3g and 8 assissts in 20 games not that inspiring,as forAthanansiou not sure London would deal with Windsor,plus at the time of his deal the Spits were sanctioned and loss of picks negated any gains from the Campbell and Kuhnhack deals save for the 1st rd Euro pick which still might be valuable if the NHL were to go back
All the players u mentioned with the exception of AA,are 1 and done guys with no value going forward to next yr
Replacing Koko is a daunting task,the sanctions now in place does not make it prudent to grab 1 and done guys
I get what most are saying re a replacement for Koko,easier said then done,or if u do a crippling of the team for the future becomes worse

Old
11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor

I forgot to mention more thoughts on Ritchie,no doubt a skill guy with great size,and some grit too,might be the best power forward,did not play like that last yr,especially in the finals,if he had the Knights would have not gone to the Mem Cup Niagara would have

Old
11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Rayzor

I forgot to mention more thoughts on Ritchie,no doubt a skill guy with great size,and some grit too,might be the best power forward,did not play like that last yr,especially in the finals,if he had the Knights would have not gone to the Mem Cup Niagara would have
Don't be baffled by Ritchie's stats, I like Ritchie and although he's been putting up good numbers he's still inconsistent. Dominant some game and other times invisible.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I was referring to acquiring guys that have a 2 year window the only exception being Puempel. Would Windsor have a better team if they got Catenacci? In regards to Barber I am just talking about how enthusiastic he was to be drafted by Windsor and hopeful of landing there. You refer to the sanctions wouldn't it be wise to start moving guys and recouping picks or if you really have your sights set on 2014 go out and get 18 and 19 year olds?

Old
11-05-2012, 03:14 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Don't be baffled by Ritchie's stats, I like Ritchie and although he's been putting up good numbers he's still inconsistent. Dominant some game and other times invisible.
He's very close to a PPG since his rookie year, nobody really averages a PPG in this league especially when you include your rookie year. I thought the biggest gripe is his inability to stay healthy. Also his playoff wasn't bad 11 points in 20 games when it's your first playoff in the OHL is pretty good. I imagine he will have another shot at a run this year with a team gunning for a title unless Niagara sticks with what they have.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
big papa

Quote:
He's very close to a PPG since his rookie year, nobody really averages a PPG in this league especially when you include your rookie year. I thought the biggest gripe is his inability to stay healthy. Also his playoff wasn't bad 11 points in 20 games when it's your first playoff in the OHL is pretty good. I imagine he will have another shot at a run this year with a team gunning for a title unless Niagara sticks with what they have.
I could see them holding on the Strome, Hamilton and Ritchie untill the deadline so they can get as much out of them untill then

Old
11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Rychel - Precision Jewellers Player of the Month

Kerby Rychel's outstanding play has earned him Precision Jewellers Player of the Month honours for October.

In 11 games, the 6'1, 200-pound left winger tallied eight goals and added three assists with an even +/- rating, leading the Spitfires to five wins.

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/WS0064.php

Old
11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend I was referring to acquiring guys that have a 2 year window the only exception being Puempel. Would Windsor have a better team if they got Catenacci? In regards to Barber I am just talking about how enthusiastic he was to be drafted by Windsor and hopeful of landing there. You refer to the sanctions wouldn't it be wise to start moving guys and recouping picks or if you really have your sights set on 2014 go out and get 18 and 19 year olds?
Rayzor

Sure Windsor would be a better team with Catenacci although at the time he was dealt the Spits were gunning for 2013-14,which of course means he would have been gone by then seeing thats he is a 93, same goes for Ritchie
Not sure if the Spits had the assets the assets to deal for these guys,especially with an eye towards 2014
Now AA would have been interesting just thinking no way in Hades would the Knights deal with Windsor,same conference,trading history and all

Old
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
spitz fan 4ever

Quote:
Rayzor

Sure Windsor would be a better team with Catenacci although at the time he was dealt the Spits were gunning for 2013-14,which of course means he would have been gone by then seeing thats he is a 93, same goes for Ritchie
Not sure if the Spits had the assets the assets to deal for these guys,especially with an eye towards 2014
Now AA would have been interesting just thinking no way in Hades would the Knights deal with Windsor,same conference,trading history and all
hey legend, how would a deal for Vincent Trocheck from Saginaw sound?...19 yr old that can put puck in net and do some play making at the same time. What would this cost us and would it be worth it...he was tied for 9th in the league scoring last year and is a 3rd round draft choice of the florida panthers....what would be the chances of him coming back as an O>A

Closed Thread