HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 09:41 PM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
This is what 55 min of hockey looks like. Great overall game, but a very tough ending to swallow and you get a 6-5 loss.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:02 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
This is what 55 min of hockey looks like. Great overall game, but a very tough ending to swallow and you get a 6-5 loss.
Very tough to swallow considering the great comeback and lead and then to be tied and lose on a terrible giveaway in OT is just all too much. Feel for those boys but hey a point is better than nothing I guess.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Spitsfan67*

Theres nothing to take away from , most of this team is made up of 2nd and 3rd year players and they should know not to take there foot off the gas especially in the last five minutes of a two goal game, this game is why there needs to be trades, this is a veteran team they should play a full 60.

Last edited by Spitsfan67*: 11-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 11:52 PM
RayzorIsDull

That collapse was one of the worst I have seen with Boughner as coach. It comes down to discipline. If the Spits are going to take penalties they sure in heck better kill them off, if they don't have good guys on the penalty kill you need to find some that can. Marchese has to know better he can't make a pass like that. Owen Sound takes a lot of penalties but they kill them off. It's fine line between winning and losing but this group does enough to be on that other side. Not sure what you can do with Maletta, he was a high 1st round pick he hasn't really developed and took a real stupid penalty that opened the door. Mind you Maletta isn't the only passenger. At this point barring a victory over Owen Sound changes need to happen.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:21 AM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Agreed,bad time to take a penalty gave Colts life must say bad call on Posa,officials blew that one
I looked at the play a few times and it didn't look like Posa extended his arms or torso forward. Unfortunately, there was not a good angle or slow motion but is it safe to say that it looked like the Colt player knew Posa was behind him and dove into the boards face first?

Not sure what to make of Maletta. His penalty obviously ignited the Barrie rally but how about the brutality of the PP just prior to Maletta's mistake? Instead of putting the game away, the PP unit looked like they were on the PK.

Is Ho-Sang starting to figure it out?

Old
11-18-2012, 05:02 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That collapse was one of the worst I have seen with Boughner as coach. It comes down to discipline. If the Spits are going to take penalties they sure in heck better kill them off, if they don't have good guys on the penalty kill you need to find some that can. Marchese has to know better he can't make a pass like that. Owen Sound takes a lot of penalties but they kill them off. It's fine line between winning and losing but this group does enough to be on that other side. Not sure what you can do with Maletta, he was a high 1st round pick he hasn't really developed and took a real stupid penalty that opened the door. Mind you Maletta isn't the only passenger. At this point barring a victory over Owen Sound changes need to happen.
Most people would agree getting 4 pts this weekend out of 6 when playing 2 of the best teams in the loop,would be considered a success,so while a victory would be desirable at Owen SD,I would take 1 pt and be okay with it
After the 1st 5-7 minutes of last nites game the spits were the better team the next 50,only the very bad penalty taken by Maletta,and the very bad call on Posa prevented the taking the of 2 pts
Marchese"s gaffe while inexcusable would never had occurred
If the Spits bounce back all is forgiven,or if they are stoned by opposing goalie,I refuse to say the sky is falling,at least yet

Old
11-18-2012, 08:18 AM
punch1943

Quote:
If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that lack of discipline is one of the problems the coach & Gm have been talking about. All in all they have done well in the last two games. However the bubble will probably burst against Owen Sound.
IMHO they still need more veterans to solidify the defensive side of things, people you can count on to kill penalties and to play the important minutes at the end of the game. These guys don't need to be prolific scorers and should be available for a reasonable price. Tell me replacing an over ager like Emerson Clark with a veteran defensive player wouldn't be a good move.
When Posa went off there was no veteran to take his place...not Sieloff (yet) and certainly not Ebert (who is offensively gifted but defensively deficient).
I think a couple of defensive tweaks could get us through to the trading deadline where bigger decisions will need to be made.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Ottomatic

^Hell Braithwaite would be a better OA than Clark. McNaughton has faded to whatever he was showing early, Bowen will never be a regular on the Spits and Bateman is forever in the dog house. Sanvido/Braithwaite would be a much better bottom pair.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:39 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Most people would agree getting 4 pts this weekend out of 6 when playing 2 of the best teams in the loop,would be considered a success,so while a victory would be desirable at Owen SD,I would take 1 pt and be okay with it
After the 1st 5-7 minutes of last nites game the spits were the better team the next 50,only the very bad penalty taken by Maletta,and the very bad call on Posa prevented the taking the of 2 pts
Marchese"s gaffe while inexcusable would never had occurred
If the Spits bounce back all is forgiven,or if they are stoned by opposing goalie,I refuse to say the sky is falling,at least yet
I look at last night as them giving up a point and not getting one especially with how they lost the game. The opponent tonight will probably try and create a chippy game like they always have when they play Windsor. Tonight Windsor needs to turn the other cheek. If guys are going to take stupid penalties against Owen Sound they need to sit for their mistake. I wasn't a big fan of the Posa call but the Maletta penalty opened everything up for that. In fact I wouldn't mind if Maletta was scratched, he needs to learn the hard way.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:34 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I look at last night as them giving up a point and not getting one especially with how they lost the game. The opponent tonight will probably try and create a chippy game like they always have when they play Windsor. Tonight Windsor needs to turn the other cheek. If guys are going to take stupid penalties against Owen Sound they need to sit for their mistake. I wasn't a big fan of the Posa call but the Maletta penalty opened everything up for that. In fact I wouldn't mind if Maletta was scratched, he needs to learn the hard way.
I would agree,send a message by benching,not a mistake to overlook,with extra bodies around put 1 in

Old
11-18-2012, 11:36 AM
hockeylegend11

Spoke too soon,McNaughton and Verbeek are healthy scratches with Dekort getting the start in goal at Owen Sd

Old
11-18-2012, 12:53 PM
hockeylegend11

Coming into todays game Spits have scored 11 goals in the last 2 games,14 in the last 3,including 8 pp goals in the last 3 outings
Kirby Rychel has scored 7pts in the last games including 3 goals

Old
11-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Spitsfan67*

I feel it will be a chippy, high scoring back and fourth kind of game, both teams have played three games this week and feel like the goalies might get left out to dry, I'm going to say 7-5 Owen Sound.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Spitsfan67*

These announcers are the worst in the league, so biased it's unbileveable add in that they make a mistake 7,8 times a period, and they say the same thing 5 times a game, there really annoying.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
These announcers are the worst in the league, so biased it's unbileveable add in that they make a mistake 7,8 times a period, and they say the same thing 5 times a game, there really annoying.
I came here to say the same thing.

On another note, what a crappy way to lose a tight one.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

They had their chances today with a lot of PP's but Owen Sound is very good at killing them. You need to capitalize on your chances and they don't do it. Overall they played better this whole week but didn't get the results much like the whole year. DeKort was excellent I sure hope he gets the opportunity to start more games. Not sure they are that much better with Pavelka in net. Time to shake things up.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:45 PM
hockeylegend11

Too the PP struggled though Devlin hit the post,never saw a game where a penalty shots decides a 1-0 game
Spits showed they can play with the best the league and Chl can offer
Officiating had a hand in both games final outcome,the late bad call on Posa in Barrie,the questionable penalty shot call resuting in winning goal at Owen Sd
Based on their play this weekend not surprised Barrie or Owen Sd could not beat Windsor 5 0n 5
I agree Dekort should play more,however no shakeup required at this time in my view,a trade yes,shakeup no

Old
11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Too the PP struggled though Devlin hit the post,never saw a game where a penalty shots decides a 1-0 game
Spits showed they can play with the best the league and Chl can offer
Officiating had a hand in both games final outcome,the late bad call on Posa in Barrie,the questionable penalty shot call resuting in winning goal at Owen Sd
Based on their play this weekend not surprised Barrie or Owen Sd could not beat Windsor 5 0n 5
I agree Dekort should play more,however no shakeup required at this time in my view,a trade yes,shakeup no
It boils down to making plays collectively I don't think this group does it enough. Not sure how long you can just wait to see if they can get on a roll. Right now they have 23 points in 23 games, last year they were at a high point of 39 in 35. To get to that point they have to get 16 points in their next 12 games, whether it's 7 wins or 8 wins over 12 games it will require them to play over .500 hockey. The concern still has to be not winning back to back games since September and now 3 wins on the road over 12 games. They need to start winning some road games at some point.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:10 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Coming into todays game Spits have scored 11 goals in the last 2 games,14 in the last 3,including 8 pp goals in the last 3 outings
Kirby Rychel has scored 7pts in the last games including 3 goals
Jinx

Sounds like a couple tough loses.
I agree with those saying it maybe time for a lil shakeup.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:12 PM
aresknights

Quote:
They are terrible and beyond biased.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:27 PM
hockeylegend11

[QUOTE=RayzorIsDull;55860583]It boils down to making plays collectively I don't think this group does it enough. Not sure how long you can just wait to see if they can get on a roll. Right now they have 23 points in 23 games, last year they were at a high point of 39 in 35. To get to that point they have to get 16 points in their next 12 games, whether it's 7 wins or 8 wins over 12 games it will require them to play over .500 hockey. The concern still has to be not winning back to back games since September and now 3 wins on the road over 12 games. They need to start winning some road games at some point.[/QUOTE

No doubt they have to start winning on the road though I must say the last 2 this weekend were the 2 best consecutive efforts maybe this season,definitely showed they can keep up with the best,
To illustrate your pt re road record the Spits are 5-6-1-1 in their 13 games and 9 of those games have been on the road
their road record during this stretch is 2-6-1-0

Old
11-18-2012, 04:29 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
They had their chances today with a lot of PP's but Owen Sound is very good at killing them. You need to capitalize on your chances and they don't do it. Overall they played better this whole week but didn't get the results much like the whole year. DeKort was excellent I sure hope he gets the opportunity to start more games. Not sure they are that much better with Pavelka in net. Time to shake things up.
Pavelka is exactly what you need with DeKort right now; that veteran presence to teach. Whether you like it or not, Pavelka has been a big reason we're doing as well as we are.

As for the OS announcers - I enjoy them; passionate, into the game, and emotional. There are others out there who have, literally, put me to sleep.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:36 PM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
,the questionable penalty shot call resuting in winning goal at Owen Sd
Don't put your hand on the puck in the blue paint, the ref made the call with conviction because he had a perfect view of it.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:39 PM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
One of them(Rico Zorzati) hails from Windsor, so that should explain it for ya!

Old
11-18-2012, 04:39 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Pavelka is exactly what you need with DeKort right now; that veteran presence to teach. Whether you like it or not, Pavelka has been a big reason we're doing as well as we are.

As for the OS announcers - I enjoy them; passionate, into the game, and emotional. There are others out there who have, literally, put me to sleep.
Pavelka is a big reason they are doing as well as they have? They are 3rd in the division and 7th in the conference. So if the Spits played DeKort more they would be 8th in the conference? Maybe 9th? We really are splitting hairs between 7th place or 8th place. Game on Wednesday against Plymouth the Spits have lost 7 of their last 8 in Compuware they need to start getting some results.

Closed Thread