HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2012, 10:00 AM
  #676
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
I think there are a number of avenues to explore when looking at Sudbury. Pancel would definitely help but I doubt he gets moved, Spits shouldn't have interest in Leivo because he won't be back next year. Guys like Campagna, Baptiste and Silk should all have varying degrees of interest from Windsor's point of view. I am not big on Sefton, he hasn't delivered on his high draft pick status he's already 19 years of age and looking at what Windsor has done the past couple years developing defense I doubt Sefton would have much of an impact. Baptiste was another 1st round pick last year who may need a change of scenery. I like Campagna but I would skeptical he's already in his 3rd season now and still hasn't put up numbers really.

There should be no sacred cows on this team Maletta, Johnson, Clarke(when healthy), Bateman none of the above should feel comfortable about a roster spot right now. Legend they really need to get some 13 picks and draft some damn forwards.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:15 AM
  #677
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Windsor is a worse situation for Bateman if he's not getting any playing time. This is his draft year - a huge year for him. And if he could get top four minutes in Sudbury, he's much better off.

I wonder if Dalen Kuchmey could be included in the deal going the other way, he's having a good year with Strathroy (numbers wise at least) but could be blocked behind OA Pavelka and DeKort all next year as well which isn't good for him whereas Sudbury has an OA goalie this year who will obviously move on. Unless he's looking towards the NCAA route now, as I believe he still has eligibility.
Did Windsor ever sign Kuchmey? He was never a draft pick of Windsor, I believe he dressed for a game last year but wouldn't Kuchmey be able to go to any OHL team if they wanted him? Same goes from Deeley I bet, if an OHL team wanted him he would be scooped up.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:39 AM
  #678
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Think about this logically, if a player is struggling they are more inclined to be traded to a place closer to home. (i.e Trevor Murphy is a prime example). I doubt Bateman would allow a trade to Sudbury.

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
  #679
youngblood10
Registered User
 
youngblood10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
I could see Johnson going to Sudbury. Brings him an hour or so closer to home. He's a drafted player with the Devils, a new start could give him a chance to establish himself.

youngblood10 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
  #680
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Did Windsor ever sign Kuchmey? He was never a draft pick of Windsor, I believe he dressed for a game last year but wouldn't Kuchmey be able to go to any OHL team if they wanted him? Same goes from Deeley I bet, if an OHL team wanted him he would be scooped up.
Quote:
(Windsor, Ontario) The Windsor Spitfires are pleased to announce that General Manager Warren Rychel has signed forwards Ty Bilcke, Stephen Alonge, Brennan Feasey, defencemen John Bowen and goaltender Dalen Kuchmey to OHL contracts and scholarship packages.
Quote:
KUCHMEY: "He's a local kid who's in great shape and beat others out of a job." Rychel said, "He made some great saves against Plymouth on Monday, especially during the 5-on-3's and power plays we were facing. He gives us needed depth at the goaltending position."
http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4291056

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
  #681
Sec108
Registered User
 
Sec108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IHate LONDON COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 689
vCash: 500
I think the only answer is a rebuild through the draft.Losing picks over the santions is tough.But getting more castoffs from other teams isnt the answer.Its why were in this position to begin with.Seems like this year there is more disgruntled players league wide than usual.We need our scouts to be in top form in this draft for sure.And PLZ WR keep your mouth shut on who we like.

Sec108 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 12:02 PM
  #682
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
I think the only answer is a rebuild through the draft.Losing picks over the santions is tough.But getting more castoffs from other teams isnt the answer.Its why were in this position to begin with.Seems like this year there is more disgruntled players league wide than usual.We need our scouts to be in top form in this draft for sure.And PLZ WR keep your mouth shut on who we like.
Trading struggling former high draft picks for struggling former high draft picks isn't a bad move - trading picks for them might be. And I don't think WR wants to trade for picks right now as he still wants to build for next year. So the hope is a fresh start and a change of scenery would kick start all players involved.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
  #683
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Trading struggling former high draft picks for struggling former high draft picks isn't a bad move - trading picks for them might be. And I don't think WR wants to trade for picks right now as he still wants to build for next year. So the hope is a fresh start and a change of scenery would kick start all players involved.
If i were Bassin I would be looking to get Bateman and Maletta both. They could be acquired at an all time low (especially Maletta). Both could pay off huge dividends as well and they both have some potential. If just one of them panned out to their expectations that could set Erie up for a good next two seasons.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
  #684
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
If i were Bassin I would be looking to get Bateman and Maletta both. They could be acquired at an all time low (especially Maletta). Both could pay off huge dividends as well and they both have some potential. If just one of them panned out to their expectations that could set Erie up for a good next two seasons.
One of the reasons Bassin took Harper is because Maletta did not want to go to Erie
He had scholarship offers from Michigan and Harvard
There were 4 other teams that he turned down prior to draft

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM
  #685
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
One of the reasons Bassin took Harper is because Maletta did not want to go to Erie
He had scholarship offers from Michigan and Harvard
There were 4 other teams that he turned down prior to draft
Situations change. His career is not what he has to have expected in Windsor - he showed flashes in the last third of last season, but can't get going this season even after staying in Windsor to work with Joey Garland to be in peak shape. McDavid will have scouts in the seats every game for the next three years, Maletta could also end up on the kids line if he ever comes around. I just think some times kids need to move on to get the fresh start - you come in and might be pigeon-holed both in how the coaching staff sees you, but also where you fit in the lockerroom.

As a whole our team is struggling due to lack of offensive creators. Guys like Maletta, Johnson, Marchese, Clarke, Vail are not creators - we had one last year in Koko (who Kerby was on a line with) and have to a lesser extent Ho-Sang now (who Kerby is on a line with).

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:31 PM
  #686
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Situations change. His career is not what he has to have expected in Windsor - he showed flashes in the last third of last season, but can't get going this season even after staying in Windsor to work with Joey Garland to be in peak shape. McDavid will have scouts in the seats every game for the next three years, Maletta could also end up on the kids line if he ever comes around. I just think some times kids need to move on to get the fresh start - you come in and might be pigeon-holed both in how the coaching staff sees you, but also where you fit in the lockerroom.

As a whole our team is struggling due to lack of offensive creators. Guys like Maletta, Johnson, Marchese, Clarke, Vail are not creators - we had one last year in Koko (who Kerby was on a line with) and have to a lesser extent Ho-Sang now (who Kerby is on a line with).
Agree with what u are saying,perhaps and I am only suggesting not advocating how about Maletta for Harper whom the Spits liked as well at last yrs draft and he is underperforming

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:32 PM
  #687
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Situations change. His career is not what he has to have expected in Windsor - he showed flashes in the last third of last season, but can't get going this season even after staying in Windsor to work with Joey Garland to be in peak shape. McDavid will have scouts in the seats every game for the next three years, Maletta could also end up on the kids line if he ever comes around. I just think some times kids need to move on to get the fresh start - you come in and might be pigeon-holed both in how the coaching staff sees you, but also where you fit in the lockerroom.

As a whole our team is struggling due to lack of offensive creators. Guys like Maletta, Johnson, Marchese, Clarke, Vail are not creators - we had one last year in Koko (who Kerby was on a line with) and have to a lesser extent Ho-Sang now (who Kerby is on a line with).
I agree with all this. Even with Vail and no I don't want him traded but he has gone pointless in 4 straight. If Windsor wants to be successful he can't go 4 games without a point, speaks to needing a better supporting cast around him. Maletta came in with being more talented and ready than Nemisz was and he has come far, far short of that billing.

If you have struggled this much in your career thus far and might be on a trading block I would welcome a trade anywhere that gives me different scenery.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:37 PM
  #688
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Agree with what u are saying,perhaps and I am only suggesting not advocating how about Maletta for Harper whom the Spits liked as well at last yrs draft and he is underperforming
Maletta and Bateman for Pelech

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:41 PM
  #689
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I agree with all this. Even with Vail and no I don't want him traded but he has gone pointless in 4 straight. If Windsor wants to be successful he can't go 4 games without a point, speaks to needing a better supporting cast around him.
The thing is, nobody has done well over the last four games. Sure, Brady has struggled, but when you're shut-out in two games, and barely score in the other two, you can't pin-point one player, two players, or even a handful. It becomes a team issue.

OHLTG is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  #690
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Maletta and Bateman for Pelech
No way, Erie can not afford to trade Pelech he is vital to this team. Maybe Harper though.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:48 PM
  #691
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Maletta and Bateman for Pelech
Good one Rayzor
Yes if i am Windsor,no if i am Erie
plus was not Pelech a 2nd rder he may not have gold edc pkg the other 2 do
If I am Erie I say to Windsor you keep the designation on 1 and pay for 2 if they flame out and dont make pros

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
  #692
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
The thing is, nobody has done well over the last four games. Sure, Brady has struggled, but when you're shut-out in two games, and barely score in the other two, you can't pin-point one player, two players, or even a handful. It becomes a team issue.
I would agree plus Vail had a 3 gamer with no pts then scored 3 in 2 games against london and Barrie

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:58 PM
  #693
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
The thing is, nobody has done well over the last four games. Sure, Brady has struggled, but when you're shut-out in two games, and barely score in the other two, you can't pin-point one player, two players, or even a handful. It becomes a team issue.
It also becomes a coaching issue and GM issue. Maybe the system the coaches are forcing isn't right for what the kids can offer. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole. This team desperately needs two things - a second creative center and a offensive defenceman who can hit forwards in stride and quarterback a PP.

Koko coming back would be HUGE, but he'd only be a band-aid for this season. Maybe WR could look to plug this role next year with an import pick, assuming he figured to have Tolchinsky here in this role now.

Some players giving less than max effort - could be an issue of giving a max effort and never seeing anything from it. What is that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? And then having the coaches scream at you and the GM call you out in the newspaper. The players are just as frustrated.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
  #694
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
It also becomes a coaching issue and GM issue. Maybe the system the coaches are forcing isn't right for what the kids can offer. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole. This team desperately needs two things - a second creative center and a offensive defenceman who can hit forwards in stride and quarterback a PP.

Koko coming back would be HUGE, but he'd only be a band-aid for this season. Maybe WR could look to plug this role next year with an import pick, assuming he figured to have Tolchinsky here in this role now.

Some players giving less than max effort - could be an issue of giving a max effort and never seeing anything from it. What is that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? And then having the coaches scream at you and the GM call you out in the newspaper. The players are just as frustrated.
Dealing with offensive d-man with pp abilities I see Murphy filling that role,Ebert has come on offensively,Seiloff has some offensive abilities,Sanvido has none,Posa can wheel pretty good but puts up few pts despite his good speed,Bateman has in the last 2 games shown something we have not seen all season,Mcnaughton was great in camp/preseason,but once the lights came on for real time,has proven to be just a depth and interchangeable guy 6,7,8 guy
Infact I would keep Bowen around instead of McNaughton
As for Koko I would agree a 1/2 year solution does not address next yr
I will HoSang is getting more creative every game,his vision and passing ability and the ability to find the open men is off the charts for a 16 year old,keep him at center away from the boards where he will be killed,he gerts better every game
His pass near the end of the game finding Ebert was pure talent,good move to have him kill a penalty with 30 seconds to play.taking adv of his speed and skill and it almost worked

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
  #695
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Whispers Im hearing, cant firm is spits would trade Maletta to Brampton for Brandon Robinson-LW,both were 1st rders last yr,both are struggling this year,Maletta started strong but has faded,while the opposite is true for Robinson as he has 7pts in his last 11 games,he has 2 goals on the season and 10 pts,Maletta has 4g and 5a this year to date
Another possible deal is Ben Johnson to Sudbury for Mathew Campagna-Cen,both are 94 born forwards
I would be favor of both moves getting size and strength in Robinson who scored 49 goals his last yr in midget,and Canpagna who was the 5th overall ist rd pick by Sudbury in 2010
Unfortunately in my view Johnson and Maletta have had disappointing seasons while the others coming have experienced the same
Perhaps a change of scenery for all would be beneficial

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 05:50 PM
  #696
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
^are these trades close or just in the early, throwing possibilities out, stages?

Doing the first one without the other would just increase the glut we already have at LW and deplete our Ce and especially RW capabilities.

Ottomatic is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 05:54 PM
  #697
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
^are these trades close or just in the early, throwing possibilities out, stages?
More so the latter,may not even happen but the talk is out there
Rychel has to add another forward with Clarke and Verbeek out

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
  #698
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
More so the latter,may not even happen but the talk is out there
Rychel has to add another forward with Clarke and Verbeek out
Should have made clear another forward in addition to things being discussed

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
  #699
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
The thing is, nobody has done well over the last four games. Sure, Brady has struggled, but when you're shut-out in two games, and barely score in the other two, you can't pin-point one player, two players, or even a handful. It becomes a team issue.
I don't think you're understand what I'm saying. The Spits have scored 72 goals as a team this year, 8 of those 72 are by defenseman, Schoenmakers scored 9 and Lorentz scored 5. Rychel and Vail have combined to score 26 of 68 goals in the lineup going into their next game which is 38% of their total goals, or among forwards Rychel and Vail have scored 43% of their goals. Scouting report isn't difficult to figure out shutdown Rychel and Vail and you're going to win. Their problems really boil down to mismanagement because a few of these guys are being miscast as top 6 forwards when most of them are 3rd and 4th line pluggers. They lost Khokhlachev and whiffed on the import draft and only have Ho-Sang to show as a top 6-9 forward.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 07:09 PM
  #700
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I don't think you're understand what I'm saying. The Spits have scored 72 goals as a team this year, 8 of those 72 are by defenseman, Schoenmakers scored 9 and Lorentz scored 5. Rychel and Vail have combined to score 26 of 68 goals in the lineup going into their next game which is 38% of their total goals, or among forwards Rychel and Vail have scored 43% of their goals. Scouting report isn't difficult to figure out shutdown Rychel and Vail and you're going to win. Their problems really boil down to mismanagement because a few of these guys are being miscast as top 6 forwards when most of them are 3rd and 4th line pluggers. They lost Khokhlachev and whiffed on the import draft and only have Ho-Sang to show as a top 6-9 forward.
I realize what you're saying; the Spits go as Rychel and Vail go. When those two aren't producing, our likelyhood of winning is lessened greatly.

However, Vail and Rychel are not the entire team. When the Spitfires score one goal in three games, you don't look at those two as much as the entire roster and figure out "okay, what's going on?"

Say we start the season 2-0 because Vail has 10 goals and we allow only 2. Nobody else scores, but we win both games 5-1. If we lose the next two games 1-0 each, do you say "Vail's production has gone down. As he goes, the team goes"? No, you say "where the heck is everyone else?"

This team CAN score in bunches. It shouldn't take two guys to produce a great percentage of the load.

OHLTG is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.