HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I don't think you're understand what I'm saying. The Spits have scored 72 goals as a team this year, 8 of those 72 are by defenseman, Schoenmakers scored 9 and Lorentz scored 5. Rychel and Vail have combined to score 26 of 68 goals in the lineup going into their next game which is 38% of their total goals, or among forwards Rychel and Vail have scored 43% of their goals. Scouting report isn't difficult to figure out shutdown Rychel and Vail and you're going to win. Their problems really boil down to mismanagement because a few of these guys are being miscast as top 6 forwards when most of them are 3rd and 4th line pluggers. They lost Khokhlachev and whiffed on the import draft and only have Ho-Sang to show as a top 6-9 forward.
No question scoring has been a problem especially on the road,at least at home they are getting scoring chances and are scoring more here,although everybody knows if u shut down NF big line,Kitchener Puempel and Reider,Owen Sd,Smith,Brace Cat,the chances u win against more then u lose so Windsor"s problem is not exclusive but i get what u mean
To me underacheiving forwards Johnson,Maletta,Clarke and Clark,more from Marchese too have really put Windsor in a spot
Time to move some more people out,I would take Campagna from Sudbury,Robinson from Brampton, and O/A from a list of Hottot,Ross,Kantor
Campagna for Johnson,Robinson for Maletta,pick up Ross or Hottot,Kyler Nixon-Dman from Kingston for McNaughton,and if neccessary deal Bateman to Missy for Teskey,in which Nixon takes his place should meaning Bateman
The last one I am not sure Bateman has played better the last 2 games so I am leery to pull a trigger here
My proposed lineup would be

HoSang-Rychel-Lorentz
Campagna-Vail- Marchese
Clarke-Robinson-Hottot
Teskey-Clark-Bilcke

spares-Studnicka,Verbeek,Mccann,
Graham

Defense
Murphy-Seiloff
Ebert-Posa
Nixon-Seiloff

spares
Bowen-Brown
Goal
Pavelka-Dekort
sp-Kuchmey
It should be noted Nixon had 27 pts last yr for Kingston,similar in size to Bateman 1 inch shorter I believe but he has experience

Old
11-26-2012, 07:30 PM
hockeyboy4

could the spits get anything valuable for there 2 import picks next year?

Old
11-26-2012, 07:38 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
could the spits get anything valuable for there 2 import picks next year?
Possibly depending where they are positioned,NHL lockout has not helped as Niagara the pick Windsor has is one of leading teams in the east instead of rebuilding,if the NHL lockout ends things may change there
Windsor with 2 picks can score big if they do their homework unlike this year,plus they have to decide what to do with Pavelka nest yr too as he would occupy 2 spots,Euro/O/A and a goalie to boot

Old
11-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Spitsfan67*

I honestly want to know how Emerson is underachieving? For some reason people think he's a third line forward when he's really a fourth line forward and always has been and is at best a fill in third line forward coming in to This season he only had 25 points in his 147 career games, to me he's playing his role to a tee and is performing perfect, hes a fourth line gritty grinder who's going to hit, fight and throw in the odd points, he's not going to get 20 points a season his career high in a season was last year when he got 14.... the spits are putting him in a third line role and isn't a third line kind of player.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I honestly want to know how Emerson is underachieving? For some reason people think he's a third line forward when he's really a fourth line forward and always has been and is at best a fill in third line forward coming in to This season he only had 25 points in his 147 career games, to me he's playing his role to a tee and is performing perfect, hes a fourth line gritty grinder who's going to hit, fight and throw in the odd points, he's not going to get 20 points a season his career high in a season was last year when he got 14.... the spits are putting him in a third line role and isn't a third line kind of player.
While I like his grittiness his 2 goals as a 3rd liner,they have him here because he is better then rookies Verbeek and Studnicka,as well as Bilcke
His 15 goals last yr tells me he could be a 3rd liner,not sure I want an O/A as a 4th liner tough guy or not

Old
11-26-2012, 07:51 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
While I like his grittiness his 2 goals as a 3rd liner,they have him here because he is better then rookies Verbeek and Studnicka,as well as Bilcke
His 15 goals last yr tells me he could be a 3rd liner,not sure I want an O/A as a 4th liner tough guy or not
Depends on how he is in the room. A good, gritty, leader of an OA is valuable no matter what line they're on.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Spitsfan67*

He had twelve goals last year but that is beside the point, he's already half way to his point totals last year and will probably surpass it, and when the trade was made that's what I was saying its a waste of an O/A but lets face it he's really just filling a hole right now he is a fourth line forward and I think he gives 110% every night.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:58 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
He had twelve goals last year but that is beside the point, he's already half way to his point totals last year and will probably surpass it, and when the trade was made that's what I was saying its a waste of an O/A but lets face it he's really just filling a hole right now he is a fourth line forward and I think he gives 110% every night.
Actually because I included his playoffs i typed the wrong number meant it to be 13 in 56 total game which projected to be around 15 or 16 for a full year
I like the way he plays tough as nails

Old
11-26-2012, 08:04 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Depends on how he is in the room. A good, gritty, leader of an OA is valuable no matter what line they're on.
While i get what u are saying a team that has trouble scoring cant have guy with only 2 goals playing on the top 3 lines,and I am not convinced in this day and age of having a 4th line tough guy who is 20
Maybe unreasonable expectations of me to have him score 14-16 goals as a 3rd liner based on his numbers and experience in the league from last yr
Dont get me wrong I like this guy and would hestiate to rid of him unless i replace him with better scorers who play tough ie Hottot and or Garrett Ross

Old
11-26-2012, 08:11 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
While i get what u are saying a team that has trouble scoring cant have guy with only 2 goals playing on the top 3 lines,and I am not convinced in this day and age of having a 4th line tough guy who is 20
Maybe unreasonable expectations of me to have him score 14-16 goals as a 3rd liner based on his numbers and experience in the league from last yr
Dont get me wrong I like this guy and would hestiate to rid of him unless i replace him with better scorers who play tough ie Hottot and or Garrett Ross
Agreed 100% probably my biggest criticism the past few years is the OA selection. In 10/11 season he started out with Tarini and Clouthier which had disaster written all over it. Only when they started surprising and wanted to make a run it was time to get Carrick and Brown, those two were fine but the thought Tarini and Clouthier were OA quality to even begin the year was crazy. Last year MacQueen, Robertson, Cullen and Holden. That was a little step up from 10/11 Tarini and Clouthier but it was not good quality. Robertson was fine but he was moved out and the D took a hit because of it. This year it's Emerson Clark and you already said your opinion and I don't disagree.

I wouldn't touch Hottot he quits on Sarnia a team that is near the top of the standings, yes the division sucks but what type of leadership is that showing when you quite while you're in the hunt. Garrett Ross is talented and would be welcomed.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:16 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Agreed 100% probably my biggest criticism the past few years is the OA selection. In 10/11 season he started out with Tarini and Clouthier which had disaster written all over it. Only when they started surprising and wanted to make a run it was time to get Carrick and Brown, those two were fine but the thought Tarini and Clouthier were OA quality to even begin the year was crazy. Last year MacQueen, Robertson, Cullen and Holden. That was a little step up from 10/11 Tarini and Clouthier but it was not good quality. Robertson was fine but he was moved out and the D took a hit because of it. This year it's Emerson Clark and you already said your opinion and I don't disagree.

I wouldn't touch Hottot he quits on Sarnia a team that is near the top of the standings, yes the division sucks but what type of leadership is that showing when you quite while you're in the hunt. Garrett Ross is talented and would be welcomed.
Re Hottot even though i have some reservations,I think he quit on his coach not his team,Beaulieu is not liked bu most on that team so i am not sure
If his head is on right he could help,if nor he is not worth it

Old
11-26-2012, 08:28 PM
OHLTG

Quote:

In all fairness to Hottot, the situation in Sarnia doesn't appear to be rainbows and slushies. There's more going on than meets the general eye.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:25 AM
Pukhogg

Quote:
Did Windsor ever sign Kuchmey? He was never a draft pick of Windsor, I believe he dressed for a game last year but wouldn't Kuchmey be able to go to any OHL team if they wanted him? Same goes from Deeley I bet, if an OHL team wanted him he would be scooped up.
It's beyond me why he's not playing somewhere in the OHL. He has the best save percent average in the GOJHL. Here's an article on him.
http://strathroyrockets.pointstreaks...-27/news_60348

Old
11-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
It's beyond me why he's not playing somewhere in the OHL. He has the best save percent average in the GOJHL. Here's an article on him.
http://strathroyrockets.pointstreaks...-27/news_60348
Spits own his rights and probably want to see what they'll do with Pavelka next year first, also he could be a piece in any deal for a 1A goalie next year - trade a package including a goalie for a top returning goalie. Dalen will likely see time time in the second half of December.

He was undrafted and the Spits gave him a shot, so he has certain loyalities to them, but he needs to start pressing the issue a bit sooner than later. Which is better for a young goalie's development - Playing every day in Jr B or once in ever five games in the OHL?

Pavelka could easily decide to play por over in Europe next year, and I could see the Spits going with DeKort and Kuchmey to start the season and then trading one for their #1A if they're hosting the Mem Cup.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:27 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Spits own his rights and probably want to see what they'll do with Pavelka next year first, also he could be a piece in any deal for a 1A goalie next year - trade a package including a goalie for a top returning goalie. Dalen will likely see time time in the second half of December.

He was undrafted and the Spits gave him a shot, so he has certain loyalities to them, but he needs to start pressing the issue a bit sooner than later. Which is better for a young goalie's development - Playing every day in Jr B or once in ever five games in the OHL?

Pavelka could easily decide to play por over in Europe next year, and I could see the Spits going with DeKort and Kuchmey to start the season and then trading one for their #1A if they're hosting the Mem Cup.
IMHO Kuchmey is and has been a better goalie than DeKort the last two years. He has two things going against him.

#1 He wasn't drafted In the 2nd round and the Spits don't want to admit they wasted another 2nd round pick.

#2 As goaltenders go these days, he is considered on the small side at 5'10".
the problem with DeKort as I see it is he's a bit of a flopper a la John Cullen.

As I've often said before...the Spits should have picked up a veteran O/A goaltender as their backup. Should Pavelka get injured they'll be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

As for next year Pavelka would be both an O/A player and an Import which would be a hardship on a team that has (2) 1st round import picks and no 1st round entry draft pick. If the Spits continue to play near .500 hockey it will be a very interesting trade deadline period.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
In all fairness to Hottot, the situation in Sarnia doesn't appear to be rainbows and slushies. There's more going on than meets the general eye.
From reading comments from fans I understand that but it boils down to there being two types of players. There's one player that is a energy giver, he gives his all to the team and guys feed off that. The other is an energy taker one who puts himself before the team. He's an OA, he's supposed to be a leader period. He played for Jacques last year so he knows what the coach is about and in his last year he gets up and leaves? It's one thing to request a trade and play it out it's another to walk out and he chose the latter. That's the type of player you stay away from.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
From reading comments from fans I understand that but it boils down to there being two types of players. There's one player that is a energy giver, he gives his all to the team and guys feed off that. The other is an energy taker one who puts himself before the team. He's an OA, he's supposed to be a leader period. He played for Jacques last year so he knows what the coach is about and in his last year he gets up and leaves? It's one thing to request a trade and play it out it's another to walk out and he chose the latter. That's the type of player you stay away from.
Here's how I look at it - if a player is with a team long enough and, the situation hasn't improved, he's earned the right to walk out. For all we know, he could have been dealing with a lot of stuff, asked for a trade, and hit his breaking point. It's not like Sarnia's situation is brand new; they've been having issues for a while now, from all I've read. You can't always blame the player for walking out, just because he's a leader. We all have breaking points.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Here's how I look at it - if a player is with a team long enough and, the situation hasn't improved, he's earned the right to walk out. For all we know, he could have been dealing with a lot of stuff, asked for a trade, and hit his breaking point. It's not like Sarnia's situation is brand new; they've been having issues for a while now, from all I've read. You can't always blame the player for walking out, just because he's a leader. We all have breaking points.
You seem to make a lot of excuses for Hottot, you don't need to be an enabler. Yes you can blame the player for walking out because it's his choice. Sarnia isn't having any issues say compared to Windsor. Sarnia lost Spooner, Thompson, Yakupov, Robertson, Brown, and Rensfeldt in the offseason and they're still near the top of the west division. Not sure what Hottot expected in fact Sarnia has probably been one of the surprises this year. Also nobody earns the right to walk out. If I am frustrated at my job for 5-6 months does that give me the right to walk out? No it doesn't. Furthermore that doesn't mean he can't ask for a trade but from what Beaulieu said he left the team and wants a trade the Sting didn't send him home Hottot walked out.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
You seem to make a lot of excuses for Hottot, you don't need to be an enabler. Yes you can blame the player for walking out because it's his choice. Sarnia isn't having any issues say compared to Windsor. Sarnia lost Spooner, Thompson, Yakupov, Robertson, Brown, and Rensfeldt in the offseason and they're still near the top of the west division. Not sure what Hottot expected in fact Sarnia has probably been one of the surprises this year. Also nobody earns the right to walk out. If I am frustrated at my job for 5-6 months does that give me the right to walk out? No it doesn't. Furthermore that doesn't mean he can't ask for a trade but from what Beaulieu said he left the team and wants a trade the Sting didn't send him home Hottot walked out.
Have you heard the stories from behind-the-scenes in Sarnia? It's not exactly a picnic there and, yeah, it's worse than in Windsor. Check out NOOF and tell me Beaulieu is loved.

What gets me is assuming Hottot walked out for no reason at all. Do you think he decided one day "this team sucks, I'm gone"? I can't see that. Something else happened, whether it was with player(s) or management. It's not the first time someone has left a team, demanding a trade, and certainly won't be the last.

There's a difference, too, between leaving a hockey team and leaving your everyday job. These are kids, so making next to nothing. If you're making 50k a year at a job, you're probably supporting yourself or your family. Walking out of a job hurts many people in a personal level. Walking out on a hockey team isn't the same thing.

BTW, what's the difference between Hottot walking out and Schoenmakers not reporting to Peterborough? Frankly, I see nothing wrong in either situation and, before blaming the players, you need to look at what else could be triggering it.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:54 PM
punch1943

Quote:
The common thread that runs through this ongoing discussion is the fact we're discussing Overage players and the truth of the matter is very few of them will get pro hockey jobs let alone NHL jobs. Sure you can reel off a few that eventually do but they are few and far between.
Rather than complain about them not being leaders and letting their team down try to look at it from their point of view. Perhaps the players in question had a reality check when traded and it hit them that playing for a poor team virtually eliminated their slim hope of playing pro. I'm no expert on the educational packages involved but expect that some players would stick with it just to keep their educational packages in play, while others would go anywhere as long as a shred of hope still existed.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:32 PM
hockeylegend11

The Spits enter this weeks 3 games in 3.5 days with 10 forwards and 7 D as Sanvido will sit at least 1 more off his match penalty, and injuries to M.Clarke and R.Verbeek
I am sure GM Rychel is burning the phone lines to get some help upfront,one forward I might look at if prices for Hottot,Ross, and Kantor are too high,is O/A Carlos Amestoy-Cen who is a free agent cut loose early in the season,while small at 5'9"-165lbs,he had 1g and 2 assists in 4 games,and in his last 51 games in the O including playoffs his pt totals were 13 g and 13 assists,plus he is good in shootouts too
My thinking is with the injuries,along with some low scoring forwards ie Johnson and Maletta,it cant hurt,Amestoy in a 68 sched could put up 18-20 goals,help in shootouts,certainly better then many forwards in the lineup
To me low risk,better return,Spits do have an O/A spot open,6 A cards to play with,why not?
Unless Warren has deals to pull,and even if he does another guy might help
opinions anybody?

Old
11-27-2012, 06:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I wouldn't go out and get an OA. You're down to 10 forwards but at the same time this is a good time to see if Maletta and Johnson sink or swim. At various times their ice times have been reduced for obvious reasons but this is their chance to shine now. If you get an OA and when guys get back in the lineup and if Maletta and Johnson continue to struggle they will be reduced to 4th line duty. Stick with what you have for now.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:18 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Have you heard the stories from behind-the-scenes in Sarnia? It's not exactly a picnic there and, yeah, it's worse than in Windsor. Check out NOOF and tell me Beaulieu is loved.

What gets me is assuming Hottot walked out for no reason at all. Do you think he decided one day "this team sucks, I'm gone"? I can't see that. Something else happened, whether it was with player(s) or management. It's not the first time someone has left a team, demanding a trade, and certainly won't be the last.

There's a difference, too, between leaving a hockey team and leaving your everyday job. These are kids, so making next to nothing. If you're making 50k a year at a job, you're probably supporting yourself or your family. Walking out of a job hurts many people in a personal level. Walking out on a hockey team isn't the same thing.

BTW, what's the difference between Hottot walking out and Schoenmakers not reporting to Peterborough? Frankly, I see nothing wrong in either situation and, before blaming the players, you need to look at what else could be triggering it.
You said it there are stories and that's where it begins and ends. Nobody knows if it's true or not. As of now Hottot is the only one that walked out.

I truly believe that it's a privilege and not a right to just play in the OHL. Nobody is shedding any tears for Hottot walking out and it's next man up because that's the nature of things. I wonder how Hottot would like it if he got dealt to Erie or Peterborough?

The difference between Schoenmakers and trust me I think him not wanting to play in Peterborough is defensible but at the same time it's a selfish move and only looking at himself. Schoenmakers got traded and Hottot walked out that's a big difference.

Furthermore this Spitfire team right now is the biggest disappointment since the 97-98 season and that's when Awender pulled the plug 5 games into the season. You may disagree with it but fact remains this team has been a huge disappointment for where they should be.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend I wouldn't go out and get an OA. You're down to 10 forwards but at the same time this is a good time to see if Maletta and Johnson sink or swim. At various times their ice times have been reduced for obvious reasons but this is their chance to shine now. If you get an OA and when guys get back in the lineup and if Maletta and Johnson continue to struggle they will be reduced to 4th line duty. Stick with what you have for now.
Rayzor,I get what u are saying about Johnson and Maletta,if those 2 amongst others played to their abilities Windsor probably would be ahead of Sarnia and maybe Plymouth and be 2nd in the conf,my patience is wearing thin,the reason I suggested a guy like Amestoy,is he can play,and when Clarke moreso then Verbeek returns obviously, you move the other Clark down to the 4th,unless the 2 aforementioned slumpsters get out of their funks

Old
11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Rayzor,I get what u are saying about Johnson and Maletta,if those 2 amongst others played to their abilities Windsor probably would be ahead of Sarnia and maybe Plymouth and be 2nd in the conf,my patience is wearing thin,the reason I suggested a guy like Amestoy,is he can play,and when Clarke moreso then Verbeek returns obviously, you move the other Clark down to the 4th,unless the 2 aforementioned slumpsters get out of their funks
You must be very patient then because mine was gone a while ago, this team is not finishing higher then 6th and could go to ninth at this point last year I felt sky was the limit and this team should finish with home ice....it's called make a trade to help the offense already instead of shuffling freakin cards, if your going to bid for a mem cup you have to have a better team to ice or you won't host that easy.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 11-27-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Closed Thread