HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Couldn't agree more. Like you said WHL travel is expensive and grueling. I can't blame the owner if he had the money and wanted to fly the parents in. From my understanding some of these were recruiting trips up to Portland, well sorry to disappoint Mr. Robison the WHL commissioner in the NCAA teams the athletic departments are allowed to pay for the kids official visits and that includes cross country flights. If the league won't allow teams to pay for flights then he's doing a disservice to his league. CHL can continue to cut off their nose to spite their face and the NCAA will clean up in the process.
There are rules in the NCAA re how many official trips can be paid for by the school.

There are also rules in the CHL re how many trips can be paid for or not. The Winterhawks apparently felt they didn't have to follow the rules.

Seems to me if they felt the rules were unfair they should have worked proactively with other CHL teams to change the rules.

On a positive note, at least they came clean on their transgressions......Spitfires, you're up next!

P.S. As a complete outsider, I find it amusing that only this Windsor thread has such a hate on for the commissioner. Don't you boys find that a little strange too?

Old
11-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
And employed by the owners. A yes man to the board of directors (the owners) and they must feel hes doing at lest a good job for them.

Im not a big fan of Branch and often am left confused by what seems like inconsistencies in dealing with league issues but if the owners agreed with all us, hed be gone long ago.

And the league has a lot of crummy owners that Branch protects. Having support of enough owners means nothing. Branch is killing the CHL and the NCAA will overtake it in the next decade. NCAA major sports are big business - NCAA Football and Bastketball, the CHL could be much bigger business if they had higher quality owners and didn't operate in the same rinky dink business plan of days gone by stuck in small towns in small arenas and forcing teams to be less generous than they want to be - forcing all teams to be as bad as the worst ownerships.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
aresknights

Quote:
And the league has a lot of crummy owners that Branch protects.
There are weaker ownership groups Im sure. But who does he protect and how? And how is holding the Spits accountable for league aprroved infractions provide protection to them? By enforcing league (re owners) rules?
If its that bad I cant see why the Spits ownership group doesnt sell? Why be a part of a corrupt business, where the "boss" (loosely used) is trying to screw you over to protect other equal partners.
Quote:
Having support of enough owners means nothing
Nothing except it allows him to stay in his position as WIndsor hater ( I mean commish)

Old
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Sec108

Quote:
And employed by the owners. A yes man to the board of directors (the owners) and they must feel hes doing at lest a good job for them.

Im not a big fan of Branch and often am left confused by what seems like inconsistencies in dealing with league issues but if the owners agreed with all us, hed be gone long ago.
Don't be so friggin naive, owners are afraid to speak up because of retaliation later.Its not unlike corp. or politics.Branch is part of the clique to see a what they deem a less violent game and more euro style.You think owners really like these new rules of 10 fights and less good checking and inconsistant calls.That equals less buck at the box office, maybe not in storybook land London but around the league.One day I'll answer my dislike for this euro style OHL by not buying my 3 season tickets and transfer the money to the Joe.Guess were diff down here in motown where were not afraid to tell you to FO!!!

Old
11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
And the league has a lot of crummy owners that Branch protects. Having support of enough owners means nothing. Branch is killing the CHL and the NCAA will overtake it in the next decade. NCAA major sports are big business - NCAA Football and Bastketball, the CHL could be much bigger business if they had higher quality owners and didn't operate in the same rinky dink business plan of days gone by stuck in small towns in small arenas and forcing teams to be less generous than they want to be - forcing all teams to be as bad as the worst ownerships.
Nicely said......wish I could be so eloquent.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Crottenham

Conspiracy theories abound.....LOL

Old
11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
There are rules in the NCAA re how many official trips can be paid for by the school.

There are also rules in the CHL re how many trips can be paid for or not. The Winterhawks apparently felt they didn't have to follow the rules.

Seems to me if they felt the rules were unfair they should have worked proactively with other CHL teams to change the rules.

On a positive note, at least they came clean on their transgressions......Spitfires, you're up next!

P.S. As a complete outsider, I find it amusing that only this Windsor thread has such a hate on for the commissioner. Don't you boys find that a little strange too?
Hence why they are called official visits. In the OHL have different draft boundaries and the geography is how you say much more convienent for teams if they are to pay for something like that.

Teams would never join hands with Portland because other teams don't have the $$$ compared to Portland. As I said earlier their owner is a billionaire.

I don't like David Branch because I think he's a dinosaur and his views on things are outdated it has nothing to do with being a fan of Windsor. He's hurt the league more than you know with instituting these recruitment rules.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:56 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Gary Bettman is happy to read this comment. Gary Bettman must be doing a good job for the owners.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Sec108

The NCAA are laughing theyre heads off over the Windsor/Portland fines.These things should have been done behind the scenes, what league commish shoots his own in the foot in this economy.Shear stupidity.Alot of buildings in this league in the future will look like Kingston,Missy,Sarnia.Less than half full.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
aresknights

You feel Im naive...OK. If it makes you feel better. Why not provide some facts to back up your points instead

Quote:
That equals less buck at the box office, maybe not in storybook land London but around the league.
Are league attendance #s down the last 5 years with the "more euro style game" ? Are you making this claim as a personal preference of what you want to see or FACT?

Quote:
One day I'll answer my dislike for this euro style OHL by not buying my 3 season tickets and transfer the money to the Joe.Guess were diff down here in motown where were not afraid to tell you to FO!!!
Why wait if your so unhappy with the direction of the league? I wouldnt spend my$ on something I felt was fixed and didnt enjoy. Attendance is down in Windsor for reasons that may include the pussification of hockey but Id think not having as good a team and economy as well as managements attitude also contribute
As far as the FO!!!- Not sure if your trying to be tough, cool or just vent but Im sure some LOndon people wouldnt be afraid to say it either lol. Not sure why you added that part

The reasons for the changes to the game are easy to understand ( doesnt mean I agree with all of them but I do understand)
Recruiting kids (selling the league to parents and skill kids--they actually sell the tickets not the meatheads)
Providing a safe environment on and off ice
Insurance
Public image

With Branch trying to ruin the league and in your opinion driving down attendance in the future I wonder how his bosses (you know the ones he protects- which means hes screwing others over) feel about record franchise values, increased revenue streams, a continued flow of top notch talent to the pros (O probably leads in this category over the last 5 years) and on and on and on but dont let facts get in the way

Last edited by aresknights: 11-29-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Hence why they are called official visits. In the OHL have different draft boundaries and the geography is how you say much more convienent for teams if they are to pay for something like that.

Teams would never join hands with Portland because other teams don't have the $$$ compared to Portland. As I said earlier their owner is a billionaire.

I don't like David Branch because I think he's a dinosaur and his views on things are outdated it has nothing to do with being a fan of Windsor. He's hurt the league more than you know with instituting these recruitment rules.
Would you agree that on average franchise values, at least in the OHL are higher today than they were 10 years ago? If so, don't you think the commish has had something to do with this?

Old
11-29-2012, 11:08 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Gary Bettman is happy to read this comment. Gary Bettman must be doing a good job for the owners.
If referring to the increase in cash in their pockets over the last ten years, yeah they are happy.
Check how much revenues have gone up in that period.

I am not a Bettman fan at all!!!!! but if the game is to get more cash into the business hes done it.
They are paying him handsomely as well.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
There are weaker ownership groups Im sure. But who does he protect and how? And how is holding the Spits accountable for league aprroved infractions provide protection to them? By enforcing league (re owners) rules?
If its that bad I cant see why the Spits ownership group doesnt sell? Why be a part of a corrupt business, where the "boss" (loosely used) is trying to screw you over to protect other equal partners.
Nothing except it allows him to stay in his position as WIndsor hater ( I mean commish)
These league approved infractions are in place to protect the bad owners from the good. If Windsor can afford to pay a player the caliber of Cam Fowler (as an example) to come to Windsor (and thus visiting OHL rinks near you) and away from the NCAA and the $100K plus package they can offer - how is that a bad thing? Dear prospective top talent being offered a $100K package from top NCAA school please don't take that package and instead come play here to billet with a local family and be paid $50 a week. And if you sign a pro-contract you don't even get the education package.

The way the current CHL is set up, bad players make more than good players for playing in the CHL because the non-pro players cash in their education package at least, whereas if you sign a pro-contract you do not. So if a good player plays four years in the OHL and never uses the education package it means he played four years for $50 a week and whatever billeting would be worth, whereas a lesser player gets the same $50 and billet but also gets the $20K (give or take) in tuition after their CHL career is over.

I could see Spits ownership selling to be honest. Boughner bought the large majority as his retirement plan but if they see the writing on the wall and the OHL/CHL a dying organization ran by dinosaurs and that the franchise values will tank. I think Boughner bought the team in part to jumpstart his coaching aspirations - he made a mistake going to Columbus though, and now with a underachieving team he's rising star coaching status has taken a hit.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Sec108

Quote:
You feel Im naive...OK. If it makes you feel better. Why not provide some facts to back up your points instead

Are league attendance #s down the last 5 years with the "more euro style game" ? Are you making this claim as a personal preference of what you want to see or FACT?

Why wait if your so unhappy with the direction of the league? I wouldnt spend my$ on something I felt was fixed and didnt enjoy. Attendance is down in Windsor for reasons that may include the pussification of hockey but Id think not having as good a team and economy as well as managements attitude also contribute
As far as the FO!!!- Not sure if your trying to be tough, cool or just vent but Im sure some LOndon people wouldnt be afraid to say it either lol. Not sure why you added that part

The reasons for the changes to the game are easy to understand ( doesnt mean I agree with all of them but I do understand)
Recruiting kids (selling the league to parents and skill kids--they actually sell the tickets not the meatheads)
Providing a safe environment on and off ice
Insurance
Public image

With Branch trying to ruin the league and in your opinion driving down attendance in the future I wonder how his bosses (you know the ones he protects- which means hes screwing others over) feel about record franchise values, increased revenue streams, a continued flow of top notch talent to the pros (O probably leads in this category over the last 5 years) and on and on and on but dont let facts get in the way
Why dont you and crotch go to your own board and stop stiring up crap.You know how some of us feel here in Windsor , its no mystery.

Im supporting WR/Boughner at the moment, when i see its in vain I will head across the river dont worry.One thing we have that you don't ...is PRO sports 10 min away.

as for the FO........it was aimed at Branch and the league Not U.Sorry if I was speaking my factory english for your virgin ears.

Go Wings!!!!!

Last edited by Sec108: 11-29-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 11:28 AM
aresknights

Quote:
So if a good player plays four years in the OHL and never uses the education package it means he played four years for $50 a week and whatever billeting would be worth, whereas a lesser player gets the same $50 and billet but also gets the $20K (give or take) in tuition after their CHL career is over.
That player that goes pro also receives top level coaching, mentoring, education, life skills that are invaluable in his apprenticeship, that lead to a good paycheck doing something they love, so the get rewarded. The ones that the league cant develop are rewarded for service as well. Continued schooling. Is that completely fair- Id say prolly not but it is what it is for now. I agree the league could do a better job in compensation but it has to be done in a fair n equal way

Quote:
These league approved infractions are in place to protect the bad owners from the good. If Windsor can afford to pay a player the caliber of Cam Fowler (as an example) to come to Windsor (and thus visiting OHL rinks near you) and away from the NCAA and the $100K plus package they can offer - how is that a bad thing?
I doubt any team has the cash flow generated from their club that the Knights do. Im still saying its a bad thing. London could outbid any1 for players services but I wouldnt think a league like that lasts long. The playing feild as far as monetary compensation goes has to be clsoe to equal to keep the league strong. You win and lose as an org by the quality/ work ethic you bring not the $, thats the ideal Id like to see but realize there are some built in advantages for some clubs
Quote:
I could see Spits ownership selling to be honest. Boughner bought the large majority as his retirement plan but if they see the writing on the wall and the OHL/CHL a dying organization ran by dinosaurs and that the franchise values will tank. I think Boughner bought the team in part to jumpstart his coaching aspirations - he made a mistake going to Columbus though, and now with a underachieving team he's rising star coaching status has taken a hit.
Good points, except Im not sure franchise values tank becasue Branch is in charge. It amy happen for a# of reasons but not becasue of the rules aprroved owners in regards to player payments--just my naive opinion

Old
11-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Why dont you and crotch go to your own board and stop stiring up crap.You know how some of us feel here in Windsor , its no mystery.

Im supporting WR/Boughner at the moment, when i see its in vain I will head across the river dont worry.One thing we have that you don't ...is PRO sports 10 min away.

Go Wings!!!!!
Just making conversation and not crap, isn't this what these boards are all about? I have lots of pro sports close by, relevance?

Old
11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
aresknights

Quote:

as for the FO........it was aimed at Branch and the league Not U.Sorry if I was speaking my factory english for your virgin ears.

Go Wings!!!!!
Hey I get it ( I think). The owner you support got caught cheating and your pissed they got the hammer. Maybe someone else will get caught and youll feel better. Maybe not.
No need to apologize for FO!!!, just wasnt sure why u used it. And then the shot at the end. Im sorry you felt the need to take it personal. I happen to be employed at a factory and the ears are far from virgin after fifteen years there as well as time spent working with lower level jr team

Quote:
One thing we have that you don't ...is PRO sports 10 min away
Good for you!!! The only thing is I could rally care less that I dont live ten minutes from the Wings. the Tigers, the Lions or whoever, lol

Old
11-29-2012, 11:46 AM
jughead42

Quote:

Go Wings!!!!!
Factory English! Great post. Branch is a turd, regardless of how franchise values have increased. It certainly isn't because of his efforts that values have risen, giving him credit for that is like giving credit to the 9/11 terrorists for making it safer to fly on an airplane.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Sec108

I told you this before awhile back and I'll tell you again.

When you win BacktoBack Mem Cups come see us on this board.

Here;s a crying towel for last years loss

Old
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Factory English! Great post. Branch is a turd, regardless of how franchise values have increased. It certainly isn't because of his efforts that values have risen, giving him credit for that is like giving credit to the 9/11 terrorists for making it safer to fly on an airplane.
Are we safer on airplanes now or is it a fear mongering, money making thing?

Im not a big fan of branch, the value comment was what IMO the owners care about, not me. Hes been around for a while so hes either got discerning pics of owners or they feel he does a good enough job to justify his employment.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Are we safer on airplanes now or is it a fear mongering, money making thing?

Im not a big fan of branch, the value comment was what IMO the owners care about, not me. Hes been around for a while so hes either got discerning pics of owners or they feel he does a good enough job to justify his employment.
We better be safer on airplanes for all the crap we put up before boarding. I recently spent 20 hours on 4 separate flights in a 36 hour span and would have felt less violated had I spent that time in the showers at the YMCA.

Branch is basically taking credit for the growth of junior hockey but that has happened in spite of him, not because of him. The NHL lockouts put junior hockey in a bigger spotlight, the mustache had nothing to do with that. The popularity of the world junior tournament has also contributed greatly to the league's growth. This high profile tournament is driven by TSN and hockey Canada, not Branch and the CHL. If Branch were doing a good job then his league wouldn't completely bomb in the biggest hockey market that exists on the planet.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
aresknights

Quote:
I told you this before awhile back and I'll tell you again.

When you win BacktoBack Mem Cups come see us on this board.

Here;s a crying towel for last years loss
Ok so the requirement to post here is back to back titles?

Never shed a tear so no need for a towel. Do you cry when the Spits dont win? Is that where your coming from? Or will you just relive the 09/10 accomplishments forever? Hold on to that, with the way the Spits are being managed it maybe a while before the promise land is seen on the horizon again. I hope not, esp as a Knights fan. its always better when your rivals are competitive and relevant
Looking more and more like Rychel and Bougs got lucky in a couple drafts, cheated a bit and rode that to glory. I guess its true, anyone can win the lottery.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:28 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
We better be safer on airplanes for all the crap we put up before boarding. I recently spent 20 hours on 4 separate flights in a 36 hour span and would have felt less violated had I spent that time in the showers at the YMCA.

Branch is basically taking credit for the growth of junior hockey but that has happened in spite of him, not because of him. The NHL lockouts put junior hockey in a bigger spotlight, the mustache had nothing to do with that. The popularity of the world junior tournament has also contributed greatly to the league's growth. This high profile tournament is driven by TSN and hockey Canada, not Branch and the CHL. If Branch were doing a good job then his league wouldn't completely bomb in the biggest hockey market that exists on the planet.
Good post! You make some solid points.

Quote:
We better be safer on airplanes for all the crap we put up before boarding. I recently spent 20 hours on 4 separate flights in a 36 hour span and would have felt less violated had I spent that time in the showers at the YMCA
And as oft happens youve made me laugh. I wish I could put into words. my thoughts, as well as you do. One of the best posters around IMO

Old
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Ok so the requirement to post here is back to back titles?

Never shed a tear so no need for a towel. Do you cry when the Spits dont win? Is that where your coming from? Or will you just relive the 09/10 accomplishments forever? Hold on to that, with the way the Spits are being managed it maybe a while before the promise land is seen on the horizon again. I hope not, esp as a Knights fan. its always better when your rivals are competitive and relevant
Looking more and more like Rychel and Bougs got lucky in a couple drafts, cheated a bit and rode that to glory. I guess its true, anyone can win the lottery.
I remember crying like a baby when Trevor Linden and the Medicine Hat Tiger Cats beat Windsor in the final game of the memorial cup in 88. We were undefeated in the playoffs that year, and undefeated at the tournament until that game. It was a tough pill to swallow, let me tell you.

The cheating was after the cup teams. I know you aren't serious about Windsor being lucky however, you are a bit too aware of how things go in junior hockey to know that isn't the case. Nice try though.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Ottomatic

The CHL should be much bigger given how hockey crazed Canada is (supposed to be). I think it's run terribly; criminally bad. If college basketball and college football in the States can get 30K and 80K respectively, Canadians in even small towns should be able to support their team with 4000-5000K a night, and local sponsors should be easy to find as well.

Windsor has 200K people in it and can't get 6000 out to games? Any city with 100K can't get 5000 people out to watch the best 16-20 yr old hockey players - 30% of which I'd guess go on to play in the NHL - the problem is marketing and the problem is shoddy small town ownership and the problem is the league and it's limited vision of itself.

Closed Thread