HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 03:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Would you agree that on average franchise values, at least in the OHL are higher today than they were 10 years ago? If so, don't you think the commish has had something to do with this?
Well you would have to go back and look at the evolution of the league. I was at games all throughout the 90's and currently. Back in the 90's you had outdated facilities such as Windsor Arena, The IceHouse, Soo and Sarnia arenas, Guelph arena the list goes on. All of the above now have new arenas and from that point on it's become a business, before it was more of a community thing and the goal was never to make profit it was to break even if possible. Now with the new arenas, luxury boxes and higher ticket prices it's all about $$$ and a business. I am not sure how much Branch should get credit for teams and their municipalities for footing the bill. In fact you still have a few franchises playing outdated facilities I count 5 off the top of my head. What is Branch doing to make those franchises more viable? He's not doing a damn thing about it so I'm not sure how you can say the commish had something to do with franchise values increasing. That has to do with those individual teams and what they do to make a profit. Branch wants to be a dictator in what should be a free enterprise system.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Well you would have to go back and look at the evolution of the league. I was at games all throughout the 90's and currently. Back in the 90's you had outdated facilities such as Windsor Arena, The IceHouse, Soo and Sarnia arenas, Guelph arena the list goes on. All of the above now have new arenas and from that point on it's become a business, before it was more of a community thing and the goal was never to make profit it was to break even if possible. Now with the new arenas, luxury boxes and higher ticket prices it's all about $$$ and a business. I am not sure how much Branch should get credit for teams and their municipalities for footing the bill. In fact you still have a few franchises playing outdated facilities I count 5 off the top of my head. What is Branch doing to make those franchises more viable? He's not doing a damn thing about it so I'm not sure how you can say the commish had something to do with franchise values increasing. That has to do with those individual teams and what they do to make a profit. Branch wants to be a dictator in what should be a free enterprise system.
I expect that no matter what I write, especially in this little corner that particularly hates the commish, will change your mind.

Nonetheless, I would submit that you cannot look at the growth you just detailed in a vaccum. In fact everyone has contributed to the growth and no doubt success. Monies would not be invested in new, modern facilities if there wasn't a buck to be made.

I do not know specifically of all the negotiations carried on by Branch's office, but by virtue of the growth of the Subway Series, Top Prospects Games, Friday Night Hockey you would have to admit that Branch has had some hand in increasing TV revenues significantly over the years. Being able to provide education packages for all players did not come out of the goodness of a few owners hearts. There needed to be cash flows available to fund those.

In response to the dude who hates the new "Euro" hockey as he calls it and would rather watch the Red Wings, I would submit that given the plethora of Swedes, Russians et al that populate the NHL Detroit line-up you are msot assuredly jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Trying not to look at the commisioner's place in the OHL universe in a vacuum you do have to expect that many of his moves (fighting, neck protection, more tutors for players, drug awareness, expanded education packages) have all been the result of listening to parents who are deciding between the CHL and NCAA AND following the money. If more revenues are dictated by ensuring top players choose the CHL, you have to assume these policies drove that.

Finally, you guys really think like Bettman that if the owners really felt Branch was doing such a bad job he woudl still be employed? You guys can all hate Bettman's guts, but he is merely the figure-head doing the owner's bidding....and he is laughing all the way to the bank at the tune of $7M large per season!

Old
11-29-2012, 04:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

The Top Prospects game is all about getting the pro scouts in one place to see these kids in skills competition and a game. It's a glorified meat factory and I am not sure that's something Branch should be proud of. I went to the skills competition and it was ok but I decided against paying $30+ for a ticket to the game because it didn't really interest me. The Subway Series is a snooze fest sorry to tell you did you see some of the players playing in the game for the OHL this year? There were probably 30+ different players and out of that group of players maybe you will get 5-7 representing Canada in the WJ's. It's just another money grab by each individual league. Personally as much as I think Barclay Goodrow has had a good year I don't need to see him paraded around as one of the best in the OHL to play against Russia.

Friday night hockey for Sportsnet is a nice tool and this year isn't the norm due to the lockout but for the most part you only see 4 or 5 of the same OHL teams all year. You can count on London, Kitchener, Ottawa, Oshawa all being on 2 times at least. Before this year you never saw Erie until McDavid showed up on the scene. When was the last time you saw Brampton on Sportnet, Sudbury, Plymouth, Saginaw, Belleville? In fact even during the great Spitfire teams how many times did Sportsnet make the trip to Windsor for a regular season game? The last time Sportsnet made a trip to Windsor for a regular season game was January 22nd, 2009 against Sudbury.

I know you will just say I have some blind hatred against Branch blah blah blah but nobody has been able to prove otherwise that Branch has a selection of teams he wants to pimp out at all times and shove down the throats of people.

Answer my question what Branch has done to help the poorly run organizations. Fact is he couldn't give 2 ____ about certain teams and he will do things on the surface that will look like he cares but these recruiting rules haven't attracted top prospects to Peterborough, Sudbury, Brampton etc.. It's just a facade because fact is he doesn't care about those teams and as long as Kitchener and London are strong viable markets then he's sitting back with his feet on the table laughing it up.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
The Top Prospects game is all about getting the pro scouts in one place to see these kids in skills competition and a game. It's a glorified meat factory and I am not sure that's something Branch should be proud of. I went to the skills competition and it was ok but I decided against paying $30+ for a ticket to the game because it didn't really interest me. The Subway Series is a snooze fest sorry to tell you did you see some of the players playing in the game for the OHL this year? There were probably 30+ different players and out of that group of players maybe you will get 5-7 representing Canada in the WJ's. It's just another money grab by each individual league. Personally as much as I think Barclay Goodrow has had a good year I don't need to see him paraded around as one of the best in the OHL to play against Russia.

Friday night hockey for Sportsnet is a nice tool and this year isn't the norm due to the lockout but for the most part you only see 4 or 5 of the same OHL teams all year. You can count on London, Kitchener, Ottawa, Oshawa all being on 2 times at least. Before this year you never saw Erie until McDavid showed up on the scene. When was the last time you saw Brampton on Sportnet, Sudbury, Plymouth, Saginaw, Belleville? In fact even during the great Spitfire teams how many times did Sportsnet make the trip to Windsor for a regular season game? The last time Sportsnet made a trip to Windsor for a regular season game was January 22nd, 2009 against Sudbury.

I know you will just say I have some blind hatred against Branch blah blah blah but nobody has been able to prove otherwise that Branch has a selection of teams he wants to pimp out at all times and shove down the throats of people.

Answer my question what Branch has done to help the poorly run organizations. Fact is he couldn't give 2 ____ about certain teams and he will do things on the surface that will look like he cares but these recruiting rules haven't attracted top prospects to Peterborough, Sudbury, Brampton etc.. It's just a facade because fact is he doesn't care about those teams and as long as Kitchener and London are strong viable markets then he's sitting back with his feet on the table laughing it up.
As I thought, your hate towards Branch is pretty embedded....rock on!

My last point is simply that I was not commenting on the strentgh of the "Made for TV events" as a show and who does or doesn't see them as "enjoyable."

Simply said, the TV networks feel they are money-makers otherwise they would have been canned a long time ago. He had a hand in negotiating the deals and ensuring CHL players are available. Clearly, the motivation is increased revenues.....full stop. To me and no doubt the balance of league owners, this is a good thing.

Carry on Windsor dudes, let you disdain for the commish flow as you see fit.

GO SPITFIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
11-29-2012, 04:20 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
As I thought, your hate towards Branch is pretty embedded....rock on!

My last point is simply that I was not commenting on the strentgh of the "Made for TV events" as a show and who does or doesn't see them as "enjoyable."

Simply said, the TV networks feel they are money-makers otherwise they would have been canned a long time ago. He had a hand in negotiating the deals and ensuring CHL players are available. Clearly, the motivation is increased revenues.....full stop. To me and no doubt the balance of league owners, this is a good thing.

Carry on Windsor dudes, let you disdain for the commish flow as you see fit.

GO SPITFIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Troll so hard Crockenham. It's funny you never addressed my question of how Branch has helped these smaller market teams and what he's done. Just wanted to tell you it's been a joy watching the Kitchener Rangers lose 8 straight Western Final games. Seeing your boy Steve Spott get outcoached is amazing. The best will be seeing Steve Spott get pantsed during the World Juniors as Team Canada coach. When Canada doesn't win gold and your Ranger coach is responsible for it the rest of this country will hate the Rangers with a passion. Cheers

Old
11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Troll so hard Crockenham. It's funny you never addressed my question of how Branch has helped these smaller market teams and what he's done. Just wanted to tell you it's been a joy watching the Kitchener Rangers lose 8 straight Western Final games. Seeing your boy Steve Spott get outcoached is amazing. The best will be seeing Steve Spott get pantsed during the World Juniors as Team Canada coach. When Canada doesn't win gold and your Ranger coach is responsible for it the rest of this country will hate the Rangers with a passion. Cheers
I have no allegiances to any particular team in the OHL, just like hockey in general and as you can probably guess am a bit of a contrarian.

You can believe me or maintain your conspiracy theory.

P.S. I don't know how he has "helped" any of the small-market teams in the OHL, or if he has. My only question to you would be, how has he "helped" the more high-profile clubs like London, Windsor, etc.?

Old
11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I have no allegiances to any particular team in the OHL, just like hockey in general and as you can probably guess am a bit of a contrarian.

You can believe me or maintain your conspiracy theory.

P.S. I don't know how he has "helped" any of the small-market teams in the OHL, or if he has. My only question to you would be, how has he "helped" the more high-profile clubs like London, Windsor, etc.?
He hasn't really helped Windsor in my mind. I think he helped London or other teams helped them and Branch loved it in the winter of 05 when Branch allowed teams to give their players away to London for pennies on the dollar as they were hosting the Memorial Cup. When the Storm got pennies in return for Adam Dennis and Daniel Girardi. When the Sting got pennies in return for Dan Fritsche.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Spitsfan67*

I feel the spits will be getting killed tonight unless PAV plays unhuman....I'm going to say 6-4 and I feel the shots will be in the neighbourhood 50+ for Barrie and for the spits between 25-35,

Old
11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
aresknights

Razor, its just a question here, no trying to argue, just understand what you think Branch has done to prop up his favs "but nobody has been able to prove otherwise that Branch has a selection of teams he wants to pimp out at all times"
How many teams and who are they?
Quote:
but nobody has been able to prove otherwise that Branch has a selection of teams he wants to pimp out at all times"
Can you prove he has with facts?
I just dont see how 15-16 teams would allow him to give 3 or 4 teams unfair advantages.
The part about allowing trades to Guelph and Sarnia go thru during 04/05. Neither of those were nearly as bad as the robbery that went on with the Soo and Campbell. Hey how about the fact Londons offer for MAcdermid was actually better (the 2nd pick was a round earlier than the Spits) Why didnt he stop it? Or was Windsor one of his teams then?
So along with Branch- Sarnia and Guelph wanted them to win and made bad trades to allow it at the expense of their own potential success?

As for helping the recruitment of the teams who dont do it. The onus is on the team to do that. Provide a good environment on all levels. The league (including him but not exclusive to) have tried to even the field. Some ideas work, some dont -(1st rd comp for non signed players being one)
You merntioned Brampton- I remember a certain star only wishing to go theor recently and he wasnt alone- Duschene ring a bell? Build it and they will come I say and as a Spits fan youve seen it first hand.
What do you suggest he do to help even this recruiting up- force all coaches and facilities to be equal on all teams?

As far as him being "happy" London won-- didnt know you knew him personally, thats your assumption. Branch is after all the guy that was driving the bus when MArk was suspended for a year, who suspended Bois for 7 games in the conf finals, the one that had Rhinaldo and Hunter on speed dial. Yeah he loves London

Believe in this Branch conspiracy if you wish, but its hard to believe when so many others involved in the process he doesnt hav eas much control as some believe. 20 owners are his boss and I doubt theyd allow him to continously prop up 2 or 3 teams and hold back the other 17. If it was true and they didnt oust him, its their fault.

Last edited by aresknights: 11-29-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 06:41 PM
aresknights

Like I said Im not a Branch fan and not really a supporter but this Branch screws us and favors a select few seems a bit much and misdirected IMO. Every team has a group of fans that think Branch is out to get them, Every team.
Kinda like OS fans complaining the refs screw them continously. Seems like denial, sometimes you gotta look in the mirror to see what the problem is.
I guess if its all true and the conspiracy exists (calling molder and scully) it makes their accomplishments all the more impressive.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Spitsfan67*

Haha There terable I mean absolutely PATHETIC. Warren said its bad when the coaches care more then some players well take a hard look in the mirror, you did a trade but you just shuffled things around when that's NOT What this team needs its pretty clear we need More firepower, and need to get the players that are useless out of here....I honestly never saw Johnson or Meletta the entire game until the end when I tried to look for them. And the game spitting image of last game as they come out flying with a great first 10 minutes and then they play like **** until the last 10minutes when they try to make a comeback, they obviously don't get the point they NEVER LEARN that you got to play a full 60... Now there off to Kitchener to get humiliated on national TV. The game will probably be 10-2.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

Good effort for 10-15 minutes tonight, the other 45-50 was very poor. Until the little flurry I can't even tell you the best Spitfire, the worst one was probably Posa or Ho-Sang, Posa for being poor defensively and Ho-Sang for too much dangling waited too long to pass the puck. Johnson didn't look very good either, not sure why he hasn't developed. Tough to loss 2 straight home games when they have been so poor on the road that has to change now. I still think you blow it up but Rychel and Boughner have too much pride and want a championship of Memorial Cup next year.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:55 PM
OHLTG

I think something is bound to give, but the question becomes what. It sounds like things were very close this week and fell apart at the last minute.

As for the game - Complete frustration for 40 minutes, then 10-12 minutes of "let's get 'em!!!", followed by one of the oddest shifts in momentum I've ever seen. The shift following the second goal was lackadaisical. Then, the powerplay late and Barrie didn't seem scared. They knew Windsor would have issues and forced the turover.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
SpItFiReZ

I think there's problems with the coaches as well personally. The philosophy has changed a lot IMO throughout the whole organization.

Something has to give, we won't get the cup next year so do it right.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
I think there's problems with the coaches as well personally. The philosophy has changed a lot IMO throughout the whole organization.

Something has to give, we won't get the cup next year so do it right.
When I said something had to give, I was referring to player movement.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
SpItFiReZ

I was implying more than player movements as that should be a given.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Spitsfan67*

Warren and the guys haven't done **** since the memcup days not one really good trade, guess what those days are gone we are nothing now they need to get there heads out of there ***** and make stuff happen, they want fans put a better team on the Ice at least show you care, I honestly think he's waiting for a miracle or something and hoping the slumping players break out well geuss what it ain't going to happen we're over 1/3 thru the season time to make an IMPACT trade or a few to change the look and dynamic of this team that's what this team needs a new identity...but will probably be here next week with the same team and the same problems with Rychel doing absolutely nothing.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:19 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Good effort for 10-15 minutes tonight, the other 45-50 was very poor. Until the little flurry I can't even tell you the best Spitfire, the worst one was probably Posa or Ho-Sang, Posa for being poor defensively and Ho-Sang for too much dangling waited too long to pass the puck. Johnson didn't look very good either, not sure why he hasn't developed. Tough to loss 2 straight home games when they have been so poor on the road that has to change now. I still think you blow it up but Rychel and Boughner have too much pride and want a championship of Memorial Cup next year.
Yeah 15-18 minutes a game wont cut it for trying to win a game against anybody let alone one of best teams from the East,started fine in the opening period for the 1st 9-10 minutes sagged for most of the next 40,then once they scored better in the last 8 or 9,seemed to be lacking energy perhaps the effects of the flu going thru the team I know Rychel was 1 of the 8 who was ill on Tuesday,so I give them 1/2 a mulligan
Was not impressed with anybody,getting real concerned with the lack of secondary scoring,especially with Clarke out,now 3rd in goals with 7,with Schoenmakers gone,I will say it again Johnson,Clarke and Marchese,,who has not been the same production wise since returning from his injury,are all undercheiving,Boughner called out the 3rd line of Maletta,Clark and Studnicka for their poor play on Sunday this past week
Maybe just maybe with Puempel expected out of the Kitch lineup Spits will gain a win on the road

Old
11-29-2012, 11:24 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
The NCAA are laughing theyre heads off over the Windsor/Portland fines.These things should have been done behind the scenes, what league commish shoots his own in the foot in this economy.Shear stupidity.Alot of buildings in this league in the future will look like Kingston,Missy,Sarnia.Less than half full.
I find these sorts of statements intriguing. I'm not sure that someone who is familiar with the NCAA would make comments like this. NCAA sanctions for breaking their rules are FAR more severe. They do things like remove your scholarships, kick you out of the playoffs for a few years and even take back your national championships. Ask UNLV, USC, Penn State, Ohio State etc. etc. etc. what happens when the NCAA decides you've been offside.

Spitfire fans should just be happy that their 2010 OHL banner isn't hanging in the Barrie Molson Centre.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:26 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Haha There terable I mean absolutely PATHETIC. Warren said its bad when the coaches care more then some players well take a hard look in the mirror, you did a trade but you just shuffled things around when that's NOT What this team needs its pretty clear we need More firepower, and need to get the players that are useless out of here....I honestly never saw Johnson or Meletta the entire game until the end when I tried to look for them. And the game spitting image of last game as they come out flying with a great first 10 minutes and then they play like **** until the last 10minutes when they try to make a comeback, they obviously don't get the point they NEVER LEARN that you got to play a full 60... Now there off to Kitchener to get humiliated on national TV. The game will probably be 10-2.
Give me a break. This was Barrie they were playing not the Sisters Of The Poor. You and I saw different games. Certainly the Spits did not play a great game BUT they played well enough to keep it close against a very good team. Last time I looked Barrie was sitting in 2nd place.
Will they get beat in Kitchener...probably...but not anything near 10-2.
This is a .500 hockey team at best at this point so be a little more patient. WR would, I'm sure, like to make changes but until he finds a dance partner you'll continue to see them win a few...lose a few. Live with it.

Old
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I find these sorts of statements intriguing. I'm not sure that someone who is familiar with the NCAA would make comments like this. NCAA sanctions for breaking their rules are FAR more severe. They do things like remove your scholarships, kick you out of the playoffs for a few years and even take back your national championships. Ask UNLV, USC, Penn State, Ohio State etc. etc. etc. what happens when the NCAA decides you've been offside.

Spitfire fans should just be happy that their 2010 OHL banner isn't hanging in the Barrie Molson Centre.
Games are won on the ice not the boardroom,the better team won in 2010

Old
RayzorIsDull

“We’re a really good team and we’re not showing it,” Spitfires second-year forward Ty Bilcke said. “It’s frustrating seeing some guys going and some guys not. Some guys care and some guys do not.

“We’re supposed to be a contender this year and we’re two games under .500.”

I wouldn't say you're a real good team. All throughout the year the team has been inconsistent and now I think they have lost 8 of 11. There's nothing real good about this team. Up until the last 2 home games they were impressive at home but that was cancelled out by the poor road play.

“It’s almost likes guys are OK playing a decent game and losing,” Bilcke said. “Everyone needs to be better and if not guys are going to change (through trade). We’re going to start losing guys and that sucks.

“We have the best coaches and management in the CHL and nothing’s changed since they won the Memorial Cup. It’s still the same systems, but it’s almost like a slap in the face to them.”

Well Rychel has already said that the coaches care more than the players so this isn't a real shock that guys are ok playing decent and losing. I doubt these are the same systems if they are then this group doesn't get it they have had over a year of work some players more with these systems.

14 of 27 games this year they have scored 2 goals or less. I said earlier the import draft they needed D. I have changed that they need 2 stud forwards from the draft. Rychel and scouts better be in Victoriaville and Drummondville checking out the under 17's during the christmas holidays.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:32 PM
hockeylegend11

On another note while some posters on this forum should go after Sting forward Craig Hottot,count me as 1 of them,word at the arena rumour not confirmed is that the Leamington Flyers are about to sign Hottot and former Ice Dog Myles Doan who is attending Uof W
Frankly I would rather have those 2 then Emerson Clark,Hottot would play on the 2nd line,while can play 3rd and 4th line as well as PK

Old
11-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Ottomatic

Ty comes off as a huge kiss ass here. Keep your call-outs in the dressing room.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Give me a break. This was Barrie they were playing not the Sisters Of The Poor. You and I saw different games. Certainly the Spits did not play a great game BUT they played well enough to keep it close against a very good team. Last time I looked Barrie was sitting in 2nd place.
Will they get beat in Kitchener...probably...but not anything near 10-2.
This is a .500 hockey team at best at this point so be a little more patient. WR would, I'm sure, like to make changes but until he finds a dance partner you'll continue to see them win a few...lose a few. Live with it.
The problem is in 10/11 the Barrie Colts were the worst team in the OHL and it wasn't close. They had some decent players like Schiefele(rookie year), Pearson(wasn't good yet), Behenna, Byers, Hall and Lepkowski. Since 10/11 the only defensive holdover is Lepkowski. Since then they have added Ekblad(total stud), Laser, OConnor, Yuill which is a huge upgrade. At forward they have added Camara, Athanasiou, MacDonald and guys like Bradford, Hall have made strides.

From where the Spits were last year they should be where the Colts were in 11/12 and the Spits won't come close to approaching 85 points.

Closed Thread