HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

FOX movie of the week - There and Back Again: The John Farrell Story*

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 10:54 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
The bench? He's probably going to our number one choice for a pinch runner.
or our every day #9 hitter, which buys time for gose
who knows

why we he want to stay to be exclusively a pinch runner?

lawrie
rasmus
bautista
encarnacion
lind
arencebia
aviles
escobar

davis

only 2 lefthanded hitters 1 thru 9
i dont like the 5 thru 8 section enough

Last edited by p.l.f.: 11-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old
11-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Mike Redmond has been named as manager of Miami Marlins.

11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Arizona Fall League Allstar Game

Not a Blue Jay to be found, Obviously the Jays prospects haven't lived up to their Billing.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...rosters-names/

Old
11-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Not a Blue Jay to be found, Obviously the Jays prospects haven't lived up to their Billing.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...rosters-names/
We sent one legit prospect to the AFL. Other than Marisnick there really wasn't much billing to do. Marisnick got off to a slow start but has hit .306 over his last ten.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:07 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
We sent one legit prospect to the AFL. Other than Marisnick there really wasn't much billing to do. Marisnick got off to a slow start but has hit .306 over his last ten.
Deck Maguire 1st rd pick 11'th overall is also there.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Not like Deck ever had any potential coming out of G Tech. He was a safe pick that should breeze through the system, but had some problems in AA this year.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:14 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Why do people respond to him? I seriously do not get it. There are enough negative people on this forum who have good points once in a while that there is no need to encourage him to stay here.

I do not think anyone would deny that UpperDeck is a bust and some of us thought the same thing at the time of the pick.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
You mean the Jays #12 prospect?

Old
11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Mike Redmond has been named as manager of Miami Marlins.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/85...-year-contract

5th manager since 2010.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
Why do people respond to him? I seriously do not get it. There are enough negative people on this forum who have good points once in a while that there is no need to encourage him to stay here.

I do not think anyone would deny that UpperDeck is a bust and some of us thought the same thing at the time of the pick.
I try not to feed trolls either, but have a bad habit of responding. You're correct though.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:19 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
You mean the Jays #12 prospect?
Yeah honestly Deck has reached David Purcey status.

If he can become a long relief guy we should be happy.

That pick was a rookie GM not wanting to take a risk and get a guy who seemed to be a lock to at least play in the mlb sooner rather than later.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah honestly Deck has reached David Purcey status.

If he can become a long relief guy we should be happy.

That pick was a rookie GM not wanting to take a risk and get a guy who seemed to be a lock to at least play in the mlb sooner rather than later.
Signability was the foremost thought with that pick. However, he was a consensus top-20 pick, iirc.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Why do we need him?
If you think the Jays Bullpen is playoff quality, your mistaken.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
topched

Quote:
Signability was the foremost thought with that pick. However, he was a consensus top-20 pick, iirc.
Yeah not saying it was a bad pick at the time... but it would seem that the front office's draft strategy has significantly changed since that first offseason.

That supplemental round landed us Syndergaard and Sanchez... arguably the two best arms in our system right now.

The mlb draft is the most volatile of all sports... so many variables, you don't see the same amount of hits in the first round or even top 10 like you do in other leagues

Old
11-01-2012, 12:33 PM
topched

Quote:
If you think the Jays Bullpen is playoff quality, your mistaken.
LOL. I trolls.

You do realize that the bullpen couldn't have possibly changed from the end of the season until now?

Given the fact that the entire roster, which didn't make the playoffs in case you missed it, hasn't changed a lick yet, I would say your spot on with that analysis my friend.

Excellent work as usual.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Yeah not saying it was a bad pick at the time... but it would seem that the front office's draft strategy has significantly changed since that first offseason.

That supplemental round landed us Syndergaard and Sanchez... arguably the two best arms in our system right now.

The mlb draft is the most volatile of all sports... so many variables, you don't see the same amount of hits in the first round or even top 10 like you do in other leagues
You're absolutely right. I'm a swing for the fences guy when it comes to the MLB draft. The "safe pick" guys that were picked in the early to mid 2000's under J.P.R. used to piss me off to no end. Even with the McGuire pick, it just screamed Zach Jackson\David Purcey\Casey Weathers etc. etc. to me.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
How does this look to you:

Morrow
Sanchez
Romero
Porcello
Happ
Until now I didn't really want Porcello all that much, since on the surface he looks to have stagnated and gotten worse than his rookie year. But I just looked at his advanced stats and they've all improved, he's still only 23 (24 on Dec. 27th), his velocity went up this year...the only thing that scares me a little is his K/9 being only in the 5-range. But he's definitely someone I'd take a flier on if he's available for cheap, although if Sanchez walks I don't know if he'll be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Vernon Wells in his time with the Angels: .222/.258/.409/.667 in 791 PA. Made a whopping 47,187,500 during those two years and has 42M left on his contract.

Amazing Jays were able to get out of that. Arguably the best move AA has made.
Are you kidding? That's Rogers being cheap and forcing AA to trade his highest paid player! If he was still here our budget last year would have been $85million instead of 65 (or whatever it was)!!! He has to go and trade for him now while his value is at a low point

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
or our every day #9 hitter, which buys time for gose
who knows

why we he want to stay to be exclusively a pinch runner?

lawrie
rasmus
bautista
encarnacion
lind
arencebia
aviles
escobar

davis

only 2 lefthanded hitters 1 thru 9
i dont like the 5 thru 8 section enough
This is assuming nothing changes at all. At the very least, TDA will be the starting catcher by June/July, I would think, and if nothing else, AA will get someone to platoon with Lind (my #1 target there is Gomes on a $3-5 million deal). Also, AA's said Davis won't be our starting LF, so if we don't bring one in it will be Sierra or Gose out there, so hopefully he signs someone...I would like Melky on another budget-wise deal, but the negative PR may force AA to stray from him.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:45 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
LOL. I trolls.

You do realize that the bullpen couldn't have possibly changed from the end of the season until now?

Given the fact that the entire roster, which didn't make the playoffs in case you missed it, hasn't changed a lick yet, I would say your spot on with that analysis my friend.

Excellent work as usual.
Yep AA loves his Fat out of Shape relievers, traded away the 30hr Allstar Catcher for one then turned around and signed another one only to have to release him.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Until now I didn't really want Porcello all that much, since on the surface he looks to have stagnated and gotten worse than his rookie year. But I just looked at his advanced stats and they've all improved, he's still only 23 (24 on Dec. 27th), his velocity went up this year...the only thing that scares me a little is his K/9 being only in the 5-range. But he's definitely someone I'd take a flier on if he's available for cheap, although if Sanchez walks I don't know if he'll be available.
Welcome to the dark side lol.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:50 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You better have a top five pick to get a stud, it's the same with the Raptors and the Leafs without them your just blowing smoke, just go over their rosters just not enough top Five picks on their roster to make them contenders. You better make good on them when you get the chance or if not you just spin your wheels. And of course it helps not to trade the picks when your out of the playoffs.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:51 PM
topched

Quote:
Yep AA loves his Fat out of Shape relievers, traded away the 30hr Allstar Catcher for one then turned around and signed another one only to have to release him.
Yeah should have kept Napoli so we could pay him big bucks to block JPA and never know what we had in him.

Napoli's 30 hr's would have meant absolutely nothing towards our pursuit of the playoffs. We still would have been drastically short.

As for Porcello... I would love to work a trade for him. Although I'm not sure he'd be available if Detroit loses Sanchez.

Porcello is a perfect example of what one poster pointed out a few pages back... getting the guys like before they peak or breakout. Similar to the Latos deal that happened last year. I would expect to pay less than that for Porcello, but we could hope to get a similar return.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Was projected to go top 10 IIRC. Actually fell to the Jays and they liked him so they took him. I don't think it had anything to do with sign-ability. I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time and it looks pretty bad now but whatever, MLB draft is a massive crapshoot. Sucks that Grandal and Chris Sale went right after him.

It's possible he might rebound. His stuff was down this year for whatever reasons. Maybe if he gets his velocity back he could be a decent enough player for us.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Welcome to the dark side lol.
Hahah, I've used FIP, xFIP and ERA+ for a while now, I just haven't really enjoyed going through everything, but the other day I made a list of pitchers who I thought AA would try to go after, so I started using fangraphs a little more lol. I didn't look at Porcello though because I've had the impression that he isn't all that valuable haha

btw, if anyone's interested, this is the list I came up with as possible targets:

Quote:
I think possible trade targets for AA, or at least the guys I would target, would be guys like Brett Anderson, Bud Norris, Wade Miley, Patrick Corbin, Chad Billingsly, Justin Masterson, Zach McAllister, Ogando, Jhoulys Chacin (buy low), and Gavin Floyd. Also, I feel Halladay and Shields are probably less impossible than we might think, for different reasons, though the cost on either is probably more than we'd be willing to pay.

Guys like Jordan Zimmerman, Scherzer, Samardjzia, Bumgarner, Niese, etc. as nice as they sound as options, barring a Latos-like under the rader deal, they don't make sense as guys their teams would trade.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
weems

[QUOTE=topched;55440817]Yeah should have kept Napoli so we could pay him big bucks to block JPA and never know what we had in him.

Napoli's 30 hr's would have meant absolutely nothing towards our pursuit of the playoffs. We still would have been drastically short.

As for Porcello... I would love to work a trade for him. Although I'm not sure he'd be available if Detroit loses Sanchez.

Porcello is a perfect example of what one poster pointed out a few pages back... getting the guys like before they peak or breakout. Similar to the Latos deal that happened last year. I would expect to pay less than that for Porcello, but we could hope to get a similar return.[/QUOTE]

Not really similar. Latos put up really good years in both 2010 and 2011 and Latos has much better pure stuff then Porcello. Latos has top of the rotation/ace potential and Porcello really doesnt.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
You're absolutely right. I'm a swing for the fences guy when it comes to the MLB draft. The "safe pick" guys that were picked in the early to mid 2000's under J.P.R. used to piss me off to no end. Even with the McGuire pick, it just screamed Zach Jackson\David Purcey\Casey Weathers etc. etc. to me.
I hope we never see another low ceiling college arm as well. I wonder though, had trading draftpicks been allowed in MLB, if you would've seen the Jays trade the pick or trade down for a late 1st and 2nd and avoided taking a signability pick that early. It sucks that they haven't allowed draftpicks to be traded, it would definitely make it more tv friendly. Can you imagine NHL drafts without draftpicks being traded? it would be pretty damn boring to be honest.

I think its better to take a bat in the 1st round, and roll the dice on some quality HS arms in the sandwich/2nd/3rd rounds. Handing 3 million to a HS pitcher doesn't make sense, handing 1 million to three different HS pitchers makes much more sense and gives you more bullets in the chamber. It's the difference between One Beede or all three of Syndergaard, Sanchez, and Nicolino.

I really hope the Jays go after a toolsy HS hitting prospect with the 10th pick.

Closed Thread