HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

FOX movie of the week - There and Back Again: The John Farrell Story*

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 08:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
What about Lincecum? Id give up Gose, Nicilino (spelling?) and more.
You are aware we'd be getting the 2012 and beyond version of Lincecum and not the one that was, y'know, good, right?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
yeah Napoli's a ufa
FA not UFA. UFA doesn't exist in baseball

Old
10-22-2012, 08:36 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
You are aware we'd be getting the 2012 and beyond version of Lincecum and not the one that was, y'know, good, right?
but he still has his fancy long hair so that's something.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
but he still has his fancy long hair so that's something.

Dreamboat.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:02 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post

Dreamboat.
lol that's priceless

Old
10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Lohse's xFIP this year is near 4, and his BABIP was way below his career rates. This season's Kyle Lohse likely would have imploded in the AL East as well.
Going forward I don't think the AL East threat will be so severe as past years. The tides are finally turning with Baltimore rising to the top, and Boston and Tampa Bay falling fast. Hell the Yankees won't be a superpower in a couple years as Jeter, Swisher and possibly Granderson move on. A Rod is dead weight and Teixeira seems to be breaking down physically.

A guy like Loshe would be a solid innings eater for us, and be a great leader on a young staff. I would have no problems with AA going after him this summer.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

Dreamboat.
Likely never see a pitcher like him agian.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Jason12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
There's a small part of me that's happy to see Lind stick around. (for now) I don't know what it is, sympathy maybe. Don't kill me.

Speaking of Lind. He's doing a playoff baseball pre-game talk with Wilner and he's actually providing some interesting insight about this past season and Farrel as a Manager.

Janssen and hopefully EE will be doing a similar pre-game show routine according to the fan590.
This Lind conversation completely changed my mind about the whole Farrell issue. He sounded like Farrell betrayed them and took some subtle shots at him. Found it interesting when he talked about how Farrell never brought any knowledge of the Red Sox pitchers to the Blue Jays and was surprised considering he was the former pitching coach in Boston. Thought Wilner saved him from saying something he would regret a few times by changing the subject.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason12 View Post
This Lind conversation completely changed my mind about the whole Farrell issue. He sounded like Farrell betrayed them and took some subtle shots at him. Found it interesting when he talked about how Farrell never brought any knowledge of the Red Sox pitchers to the Blue Jays and was surprised considering he was the former pitching coach in Boston. Thought Wilner saved him from saying something he would regret a few times by changing the subject.
I missed it, is there anywhere I can get a transcript of it?

Old
10-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
I missed it, is there anywhere I can get a transcript of it?
You can listen to Wilner's podcast of the Blue Jay-a-day with Lind on the Fan 590 website, under Recent Podcasts.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Scion

Quote:
Going forward I don't think the AL East threat will be so severe as past years. The tides are finally turning with Baltimore rising to the top, and Boston and Tampa Bay falling fast. Hell the Yankees won't be a superpower in a couple years as Jeter, Swisher and possibly Granderson move on. A Rod is dead weight and Teixeira seems to be breaking down physically.

A guy like Loshe would be a solid innings eater for us, and be a great leader on a young staff. I would have no problems with AA going after him this summer.
To be clear, I wouldn't go after Lohse if I were an NL manager. He is going to get paid way more than he is worth, do not want.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:

Dreamboat.
If they ever need to cast someone as teenage snape, there he is lol

Old
10-22-2012, 10:14 PM
oilers89

for the rotation next year I would take a chance and trade for linecum, not sure what go give up cause I have no idea what his value is at right now. And then sign Edwin Jackson 2 years 15 mill per (ish) then marcum at 2 years 14 mill ( ish). Then roll with Morrow, Timmy, Edwin, Romero, Marcum. Pretty solid especially if Tim and ricky bounce back

Old
10-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
for the rotation next year I would take a chance and trade for linecum, not sure what go give up cause I have no idea what his value is at right now.
What is the fascination with Tim Lincecum? His velocity has regressed more than 6MPH over the past 4 seasons, and he has shelved his slider (his second best pitch) due to the wear and tear it put on his arm. None of this is to mention that he is owed 22M next year, and becomes a FA in 2014.

Unless the Giants eat a significant portion of Lincecum's salary, and accept a mediocre return there is almost no value in pursuing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
And then sign Edwin Jackson 2 years 15 mill per (ish) then marcum at 2 years 14 mill ( ish). Then roll with Morrow, Timmy, Edwin, Romero, Marcum. Pretty solid especially if Tim and ricky bounce back
Where are the Jays getting the pay-roll to acquire: Lincecum, Jackson and Marcum?

Old
10-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Yeah I wouldn't be so sure of that. I don't see Baltimore rising to the top whatsoever. That roster isn't as good as that record indicated, their farm system isn't exactly loaded either (two elite prospects at the top though). I don't see how Tampa is "falling fast". They were close to making the playoffs while missing Longoria for half the season. They will still keep their elite pitching even if they trade Shields (they will get a good return too). They still have a good farm system even if it isn't as elite as it once was. They are improving but still got ways to go.

People say that about the Yankees every year but they are still good. Cano is still there, Granderson is still a good player despite the bad playoffs and they have the money to replace guys like Swisher. Hell, they could go out and sign Hamilton or sign Napoli for their catching position. Tex is declining but he is still a good player and it won't be until a few more years where he completely sucks. I believe they will get Pineda back next year, CC is a beast, Nova is decent, and they could sign a starter as well. Bullpen will be strong. They are still a very dangerous team.

Despite what many thing, Boston could easily be a dangerous team next season. They have freed up tons of money and could basically go nuts in FA market by going after Hamilton/Grienke etc... Middlebrooks is a great young player, Pedroia is still there, I expect Lester to bounce back, a healthy Ellsbury will be great too and they have a good farm system.

AL East will still be very strong next year unless all the teams totally crap the off-season and do nothing (or trade away their good players).

Jays could be with them if they get some good legit pitching and maybe a good (doesn't have to be great) to help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason12 View Post
I found it pretty interesting too. Surprised he was so honest about it too.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
You can listen to Wilner's podcast of the Blue Jay-a-day with Lind on the Fan 590 website, under Recent Podcasts.
Wow that interview does not paint a flattering picture of Farrell, in fact it actually makes me kind of glad he's gone.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
Wow that interview does not paint a flattering picture of Farrell, in fact it actually makes me kind of glad he's gone.
Yeah. To be fair though, he did admit that there's not really much more he should have known about the hitters, he didn't work with them so wouldn't know their mechanical hitches or anything like that. The biggest thing I would think that Farrell could have brought them was what the Sox perceived to be their holes and how they exploited them, which I'm pretty sure I read he did when he got here. Other than that, would he really have intimate knowledge of Boston's hitters?

Still, between the AA interview and this one, clearly it's the right move to get him out, Farrell checked out and wanted to be there, getting back a serviceable player is all you could ask for really in this situation. We get a new manager who will hopefully want to be here and cover all of JF's shortcomings while adding a useful piece to the roster.

As for the new manager, my preference is between Alomar Jr., Wallach and Martinez, since there's not really a prime candidate with MLB managing experience (I'm lukewarm on Acta). No matter who they bring in, I hope that Mottola then becomes the full-time hitting coach.

Last edited by Quik: 10-22-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

bob elliott ‏@elliottbaseball
Hearing both Manny Acta and Jim Tracy will get looks for vacant Blue Jays managerial job

Jim Tracy? Please, Jim Tracy should not be a consideration.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:34 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post

Where are the Jays getting the pay-roll to acquire: Lincecum, Jackson and Marcum?
From Rogers.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
The Jays can't be super selective in acquiring players.

I mean, beggars can't be choosers.

We are talking about a team with an "ace" that has an ERA over 5.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
The Jays can't be super selective in acquiring players.

I mean, beggars can't be choosers.

We are talking about a team with an "ace" that has an ERA over 5.
The solution is not to overpay for mediocre players.

Old
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
From Rogers.
If only...

Old
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
From Rogers.
That's a good one

Old
10-22-2012, 11:51 PM
HappyGilmourr

I haven't heard a lot of talk about Grenikie. I no he will command top dollar but if management is seriously willing to spend is there a better player to give it too? The guy is a legit ace.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
That's a good one
I like your response better than mine

Closed Thread