HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Your OTA HD antenna or free/streaming TV setup

Old
01-24-2013, 07:51 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Puck Mafia View Post
I don't have cable. Costs way too much for something that's not really necessary.

I have a digital antenna, and I get all the major networks (Abc, Nbc, Cbs, Fox) and some smaller stations. But even then, the only time I watch those is probably when there is sports on.

I watch Netflix and download movies/tv shows, but I don't really spend a lot of time watching those. Hulu is garbage, I would never pay for it.

I have Gamecenter Live, and I watch hockey probably every night. All you have to do is set up a proxy, and you can bypass all blackout restrictions.
How much is Gamecenter live?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:10 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

My roommate and I decided to not get cable and put the money we save towards an internet package with a lot of bandwidth because we just download all the shows we watch. Luckily, our HD antenna gets all the major Canadian stations (CTV/Global/CITYTV plus some of the Buffalo American stations (CBS/NBC/ABC). The awards shows which are live are the only things we usually watch on the spot come in on those stations.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Puck Mafia View Post
I have Gamecenter Live, and I watch hockey probably every night. All you have to do is set up a proxy, and you can bypass all blackout restrictions.
Would a post explaining how to go about doing this get deleted?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Would a post explaining how to go about doing this get deleted?
Just search "Free proxy servers" on google. Most proxy servers run though different countries so whatever your actual location is never known. Thats the point of the server, is to "hide" you so to speak. They have servers you can pay to be on, usually it only a few bucks a month or sometimes even a few bucks a year. I used a proxy server to watch the Olympics in London here at work on my computer because online streaming was blacked out for the US due to NBC's coverage.

Thats actually a fantastic idea if you have a home media center and you can plug your TV into your computer...

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
3 rooms with DirecTV that have every channel they offer, outside of the MLB, NBA, and NFL packages.

cnshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
3 rooms with DirecTV that have every channel they offer, outside of the MLB, NBA, and NFL packages.
Er that's great but the whole thread is about alternatives to cable/satellite. People in Canada are paying $40-80 for their TV especially now with HD even with a deal....that's at least $5k over a decade and I don't like Rogers/Bell much to begin with so I can't justify paying that now that streaming's an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I Tell you you can't get Free Centre ICe preview on antenna though. Really liking this. Just sitting backing watching Leafs games on SportsNet with Joe Bowen. I feel Canadian
Not worth paying for just for centre ice now that game centre is a decent option which can be streamed well on any device (a bluray player, PS3/360, Roku type media streamer). There's actually an even alternative to gamecentre, hockeystreams.com. It's $99 for a 1 year subscription from now till next January and also includes CHL/AHL games plus international ones. The site has improved and so have the reviews it seems. Game centre is still a bit more reliable and better for watching on TV but hockeystreams is better value and also better for watching on-demand (I hate live hockey now due to the amount of commercials and owning a PVR before I cut cable so I prefer to watch on-demand).

Btw tip to anyone in Canada who wants easier access to US content via browser....install an add-on called either MediaHint or Stealth. Both will let you view US Netflix, Hulu, video from sites like ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. Works on firefox and I think Chrome.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

If it wasn't for sports I wouldn't have cable.

01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
If it wasn't for sports I wouldn't have cable.
im the same way. Ive never tried the above mentioned idea of using a proxy server for NHL gamecenter but it seems like a great idea and might actually work...any one interested and being a lab rat and giving it a shot?

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:10 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

OTA Antenna + NHL Gamecentre.

I get CBC so I can catch HNIC over the antenna, and every other game on nhl.com.

I get CTV, OMNI, Global, CBC, and a few other smaller channels, all free, all in HD with a plain rabbit ear antenna. There is seriously no need for cable.

Any TV series I watch, I just download, and have a sweet media centre setup on my TVs with Linux and XBMC (also free). I also have all my shows, and my DVDs ripped to a network hard drive, so I can access any TV show or movie from any TV in the house while using my phone as a remote control. It's the most amazing thing in the world. Blows paying for cable out of the water in terms of price and quality.

Greatest invention ever:
http://xbmc.org/

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
Just search "Free proxy servers" on google. Most proxy servers run though different countries so whatever your actual location is never known. Thats the point of the server, is to "hide" you so to speak. They have servers you can pay to be on, usually it only a few bucks a month or sometimes even a few bucks a year. I used a proxy server to watch the Olympics in London here at work on my computer because online streaming was blacked out for the US due to NBC's coverage.

Thats actually a fantastic idea if you have a home media center and you can plug your TV into your computer...
Good to know. I'd happily shell out for GC if I was able to watch the Sens.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

It's amazing how much good stuff and how much bad stuff is on cable.

It makes you think about whether it's worth it to set cable up in my room. I currently use a broken antenna where the "ears" are broken, and the only channels I watch are ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS

But then I am just sitting here in front of a 55 inch big screen watching people cook ribs on Travel Channel HD right now. Mercy. There are like 3 or 4 good channels on cable. But damn, they are pretty amazing channels. Travel Channel and CNN are likely the two best cable channels in America. Plus, the nerd in me likes Science HD, as long as it's not Mythbusters

However, most of cable is useless. History Channel and TLC are pretty much all reality TV. Cable has a lot of garbage like Honey Boo Boo and Buckwild and Pawn Stars and other such garbage.

Don't know whether it's worth 55 bucks plus an extra 10 dollar monthly fee just to watch 4 channels. It's awfully tempting though

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
when they switched to digital and had to buy the box, i could only get the same 5 channels that we used to get just by hooking up the tv to the antenna....
the signals just dont pass where i live. so i never really bothered on buying the converter (since it wasnt working well when i tried) or a better antenna. I havent turned my TV on for a while...... (its still an old big butt tv, so i dont miss it either)
I only stream through my computer (the french network seems to air alot of their original stuff live, unlike global, ctv which i guess it is because theyre american shows most of the time).
also as a Sens fan living in montreal. even with paying cable, i wouldnt get much of my team. so that again plays a role on not having tv/cable/satellite.
again i use the illegal stream sites, same for everything unless its on the real networks page.... it can be quite annoying not knowing what to watch or having to wait to download/stream later. but gotta live with what i can afford.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Kloparren
Hth

^ Sometimes it depends on the tuner from your digital converter box, the cheap ones are meh. However buying a new box isn't really worth it, just save up for a new TV since the tuners are always built in and new TV's also include wifi for a few streaming services plus the ability to hook up XBMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Mercy. There are like 3 or 4 good channels on cable. But damn, they are pretty amazing channels. Travel Channel and CNN are likely the two best cable channels in America. Plus, the nerd in me likes Science HD, as long as it's not Mythbusters

However, most of cable is useless. History Channel and TLC are pretty much all reality TV. Cable has a lot of garbage like Honey Boo Boo and Buckwild and Pawn Stars and other such garbage.

Don't know whether it's worth 55 bucks plus an extra 10 dollar monthly fee just to watch 4 channels. It's awfully tempting though
If it's just 4 channels you're watching then time to get a nice internet connection, cut cable (maybe get Netflix because it's pretty neat), and stream those 4 channels. I've seen streams of CNN in fact I think you can stream CNN directly from their website. Some specialty channels are streamed but any even remotely known show from them is usually uploaded online free of commercials. You can download that in fairly nice quality or just watch it directly online from a site like fastpass. So with those alternatives I don't know if it's worth $50+ for you.

Btw to anyone who is paying that much for cable/satellite, call your company to cancel and they MIGHT give you a retention deal. This might even include a free HDPVR or HD box rental. The only catch is that after they give you a deal, it's a 1 year contract. Sometimes they won't offer anything but mail you a deal or a number to call within your 30 day notification period. It depends on the company, I'd google company X retention thread to see what deal they'd offer.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Damn it the main reason to go to cable is so you don't suffer from the sensitivity of antennas

Am currently attempting to watch a public television station from WASHINGTON DC

A few miles away

And reception is listed as 4 bars (Great) yet I keep getting blacked out

This over-sensitive garbage. It's not even windy or rainy out. Perfectly clear day.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Spend 55 dollars on another cable jack...or spend 55 bucks on an indoor antenna that doesn't crap out every 5 minutes!?