HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

S. Kostitsyn: Hopes lockout lasts a year.(mod: see post #130 for more from KS)

Old
10-22-2012, 05:41 PM
saffronleaf

vCash: 500
At least Kostitsyn is on the same page as Bettman and Fehr.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:03 PM
starling

vCash: 50
Speaking of gloomy cities. I like this one where Gonchar and Malkin are now playing:

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
Columbus is far from "small town" America. 800k city and 1.9M metro population. In fact, most Americans live in cities and metros that are smaller than Columbus. The big cities like NY and LA only have a small % of the population.

Of the 942 statistical urban areas tracked by the census -- 900 are smaller than Columbus.
I think you know what I mean.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:20 PM
BLONG7

Wait until Grapes gets a hold of this article...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Deuce Awesome

Once again blown out of proportion, in my experiences with Russians though they are more blunt with their thoughts, they don't seem to sugarcoat things the way we do.

Ive been through Columbus a few times on the drive from Toronto to Florida, and I think its a beautiful city. Cinncy as well. But thats coming from someone who has grown up in Canada, which really is not all that much different.

Maybe growing up in Belarus, that Chernobyl thing lit up the night sky enough to avoid such "gloominess"

I agree with the above poster, Grapes is going to have a field day with this one. Thats it he's still alive when HNIC returns.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Maybe growing up in Belarus, that Chernobyl thing lit up the night sky enough to avoid such "gloominess".
... Man that is absolutely wicked. I dont know whether to laugh hysterically (my first instinct) or give you ****.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:48 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
While I understand how he feels at this point why not play in russia? There is a top league close to home where he can make good comparable money. I would think takinf a slight paycut to remain home would be preferable. I think there has to be more to it why he plays here if hes unhappy.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by burf View Post
Preferring the culture you grew up in over a completely foreign culture doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
It's like making fun of the kid that's homesick.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:15 PM
ScottyBowman

Its not really a big deal. We all like what we are used too. I go to Europe for a month every summer on vacation and there are certain things I like over there but at the end I still like to come home to Detroit. One thing I did notice over the years is that the infrastructure in the US is >>>>>>Europe.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Shwag33

Columbus is a newer city, i'm not sure what he's *****ing about. The arena district is decent, its suburbs are nice also.

On the Columbus is 10x nicer than detroit in my opinon.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

He's a bum anyways, let him stay in Russia!

Connell McWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1370
Player comments are becomming more and more of a public relations nightmare for the NHLPA. Players are comming off as out of touch and entitled. They seem to think they are reaching out to the average working stiff but for the most part they just **** people off. Not exactly PR 101.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Silly Sergei, it's not so bad, why look at all of the posters who read the article fully before they blasted it...oh wait.

Also, he may be playing in the NHL not just because of the money (though it probably helps), but because that is the highest league around. Back when he wanted out of Montreal people said he was a KHL flight risk even though he mentioned several times that he wanted to stay in the NHL because that was his dream. He won't be the first player who doesn't understand or get another culture and is homesick.

Finally, I think it is unfair that some people are able to continue to stereotype areas in this thread.

Last edited by KaylaJ: 10-22-2012 at 08:05 PM.
KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

LOL, why does he have to return if the lockout ends????..... Hey jackass just stay there if America is so bad....

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:06 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Maybe growing up in Belarus, that Chernobyl thing lit up the night sky enough to avoid such "gloominess"
Chernobyl was located in Ukraine, not Belarus.

Most Belarusian cities, at least in the Western half of the country (can't speak for the East), are very nice. They were part of Poland between 1918-1939 and many were pivotal centres in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth before that. Political circumstances aside, I'd rather live in a city like Grodno than many American NHL cities.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:52 PM
ForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Well, the thread title is definately misleading. It's clear he doesn't care much for "small town" North America. A lot of "urbane" Europeans wouldn't. Put them in Montreal, New York City, Toronto, Chicago, etc. which is all bright lights and has a huge mix of cultures and it's a differant story. As for many Americans being fake-I guess that's true although I doubt he's comfortable enough with the culture to really know someone's true intentions (by and large).
Agreed... I have heard/read a few NBA players over the years talking about how 'different' playing in Toronto (and Vancouver) was. Examples include Chris Bosh saying "Toronto smelled different" after departing for Miami and another player not wanting his kids learning the metric system in school. So if english speaking players from a culturally similar country had trouble getting comfortable in a city like Toronto I could only imagine how hard it could be for someone who was born in the Soviet Union to find their comfort zone in North America, especially as you said, outside of some of the more cosmopolitan cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
The real issue here is the guy is a dog and doesn't really do much for me when it comes to being a contributor to a NHL team. Let him stay in Omsk or wherever.
In 2010-11 Kostitsyn lead Nashville in scoring and had one of the higher +/- on the team and last year he finished tied for 4th among forwards (6th overall if you include the 2 new $100 million defenseman) and once again had one of the higher +/- ratings. If Kostitsyn plays the rest of his career in Europe/Russia the NHL won't skip a beat (you could probably say that about pretty much any individual player) but if at this point Kostitsyn isn't/wasn't considered a 'contributor' in the NHL then the league is filled primarly with 'dogs'.

***Disclaimer*** I know points and +/- isn't everything when it comes to hockey but not everyone in the league can be a 15 point/year player who finishes his checks and anchors the 2nd PK unit. You do need guys, even if they may have other flaws, who can generate some offence.

Last edited by ForumNamePending: 10-23-2012 at 01:33 AM.
ForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post

i have been to 41 states and i would say columbus is top 5 cities i would choose to live in for whatever that is worth
too bad cleveland is not like columbus...

cleveland is REALLY GLOOMY!!! ask me, i know...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:10 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Sergei must have seen this video on Tosh.0

its been disabled....ha ha...

but its true about cleveland...living here makes you want to commit suicide...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:10 PM
IslesBeBack*

If and when the players agree to a deal, Bettman should hold a press conference where he reads names off a list of players that are suspended.

Kostisyn, you're up. Losa.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Apoplectic Habs Fan

If this is how he feels, stay home. There is more to life than money. Stop being a greedy POS and taking NHL contracts if life in North America is so horrible.

Apoplectic Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Chernobyl was located in Ukraine, not Belarus.
True, although over 2/3 of the fallout ended up in Belarus.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:50 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Much ado about nothing. He said he prefers certainty so if the lockout is going to happen all season, might as well know now. Likes living in his own country better. Asked to name a gloomier city than Detroit, said Columbus.

Shocking revelations, really.
It would be a classic if a draftee screamed in terror after he found out he was drafted by Detroit...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Really he must have been thinking of Cleveland. That's where the rust belt industrial parks are.

Plus it's always gray up there and Lake Erie smells like dead fish, shattered dreams, and residue from burnt LeBron jersies. To anticipate the question, yes I have a strong dislike for Cleveland and no I don't know why exactly.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Saintpatrick*

The press in Montreal used to have a field day with this kid. He was sullen and surly let him go play in Europe he's a sub par player anyhow.

Saintpatrick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:50 AM
DuklaNation

This guy sounds like a real dick. Why doesnt he just go play in the KHL if he hates it that much? Players need to be better at promoting the sport if they want more money. How does this improve PR in Nashville?

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote