HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tropical Storm Sandy **BE CAREFUL EAST COAST!!**

Old
11-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
So I work in a school in NYC, this is my building.

http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/top...uation-shelter

Just lovely. No students Monday or Tuesday.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post

Why would anyone flush clothes down the toilet? It truly is amazing how stupid some people can be.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

They'll have a hell of a time getting some of the homeless out of many of those temporary evacuation centers.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Noreaster96

Just a little heads up, it's looking pretty likely that another nasty storm is going to be affecting the area... Idk about anyone else, but I still don't have power so I'm not quite looking forward to the idea of not having it for another week :/

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Just a little heads up, it's looking pretty likely that another nasty storm is going to be affecting the area... Idk about anyone else, but I still don't have power so I'm not quite looking forward to the idea of not having it for another week :/
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...o_land_in.html

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
No power here either. Got to watch LIPA trucks drive past the pole 5 times this morning in a span of 5 minutes. I can rough it a few more days but the guy on the opposite corner has 3 young kids who certainly can't. The LIPA response in this area (Babylon) has been a joke.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:18 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Same here, no power. All my neighbors have left because they have young children. I'm starting to lose it.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
They'll have a hell of a time getting some of the homeless out of many of those temporary evacuation centers.
Well floors 5 6 and 7 have been cleared out and wiped clean. Bleached the whole place practically. Floors 4 - 1 still have people in them. They'll be moved out before Wednesday.

I'm buying my custodian a bottle of something good. Guy's been working around the clock.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:34 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Well floors 5 6 and 7 have been cleared out and wiped clean. Bleached the whole place practically. Floors 4 - 1 still have people in them. They'll be moved out before Wednesday.

I'm buying my custodian a bottle of something good. Guy's been working around the clock.
good for you!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Islanders1932

I'm about to cry, my power just came back on. I'm hoping all of you without power will be getting it back soon. I know its tough, but hang in there.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:35 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
No power here either. Got to watch LIPA trucks drive past the pole 5 times this morning in a span of 5 minutes. I can rough it a few more days but the guy on the opposite corner has 3 young kids who certainly can't. The LIPA response in this area (Babylon) has been a joke.
I, too, do not have power yet. I live in the village of Thomaston which is in Great Neck. Three days ago I recieved a letter from the village that basically said LIPA had been in the area but "have not cooperated" and the village is still trying to get LIPA to assist in the area. The mayor of the village and many of the people have contacted LIPA without any response or date on when power will be restored. It has been EIGHT days already and it's getting colder. Now with the next storm I fear it will take even longer.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:40 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
I, too, do not have power yet. I live in the village of Thomaston which is in Great Neck. Three days ago I recieved a letter from the village that basically said LIPA had been in the area but "have not cooperated" and the village is still trying to get LIPA to assist in the area. The mayor of the village and many of the people have contacted LIPA without any response or date on when power will be restored. It has been EIGHT days already and it's getting colder. Now with the next storm I fear it will take any longer.
University Gardens in Great Neck is still without power according to my brother. Him and his family have been shacking up at my mom's in Port Washington since she lives in an apt. building.

They are getting ready for this new Noreaster. Hopefully it doesn't have the fury and teeth of Sandy.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
University Gardens in Great Neck is still without power according to my brother. Him and his family have been shacking up at my mom's in Port Washington since she lives in an apt. building.

They are getting ready for this new Noreaster. Hopefully it doesn't have the fury and teeth of Sandy.
Yeah, it seems like most of Great Neck is without power. I do have many relatives on Long Island and most of them still do not have power as well. There are a few people I know that do have power and I could stay with them, but it feels strange doing that. I can tough it out, it's just a real pain in the a**. I realize that LIPA had almost a million power outages to deal with, but I still say that were not nearly as prepared as they should have been.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:31 PM
KrisBeKreame

I'm in Plainview, my family and I survived the storm. Going on Day 8 without power. I bet Ill get it just in time to loose it again.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:18 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
I, too, do not have power yet. I live in the village of Thomaston which is in Great Neck. Three days ago I recieved a letter from the village that basically said LIPA had been in the area but "have not cooperated" and the village is still trying to get LIPA to assist in the area. The mayor of the village and many of the people have contacted LIPA without any response or date on when power will be restored. It has been EIGHT days already and it's getting colder. Now with the next storm I fear it will take even longer.
I came home from a pain in the ass day at work to power. I really don't have any words to describe how happy I am. This was day 8 for me as well. My house was 46 degrees when I got up this morning. If it was any longer I definitely would have to go stay with my folks. I hope you guys that don't have it yet get it back really soon.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
I came home from a pain in the ass day at work to power. I really don't have any words to describe how happy I am. This was day 8 for me as well. My house was 46 degrees when I got up this morning. If it was any longer I definitely would have to go stay with my folks. I hope you guys that don't have it yet get it back really soon.
No one is getting anything back soon. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's true. Just go look at the LIPA outage map.

I have been following it since yesterday. At 12 noon yesterday there were about 250,000 still out. By the end of last night they got it down to around 200,000. Right now? 193,000. Not only that, the town of Hempstead went from about 54,000 this morning to 55,500 as of right now. That's right folks, 1,500 MORE outages. I understand you have to turn some people off for a short amount of time to fix other things but it's been a steady INCREASE in power outages all day in the town of Hempstead.

Everyone back by tomorrow night? HAH! We will be lucky at this point if everyone is back by Thanksgiving. And as I type this Mike Francesa is echoing exactly what I just said here. Comical.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

With Athena is in our midst, I hope everyone is safe from the latest storm.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:43 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Power going out everywhere. FML.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:09 PM
SouthShore91

Up here in CT we are expecting 3-6 inches of snow. Could be looking at another day off tomorrow. One week it's hurricanes, the other it's snow storms. This weather is nuts...

SouthShore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Renbarg

In Queens I'm already up to half a foot. What the heck!? This was supposed to be a 1-3 inch deal.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Surfing MTK in a few hours - only good thing about this nor'easter.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Isles Junkie

Took me an hour to get gas in Brooklyn today. not too bad.

You know what they really need to do though. in NYC (and I presume LI) they only allow 20,000 gallon (i think?) fuel trucks to drive the streets. In Jersey, they can have 70 gallon trucks.

Even if the gas station can't hold more than 20,000 gallons, they should allow the 70k trucks to fill up 3+ gas stations at a time. But i guess that would make too much sense for local government.

I know there's still a lot of stations without power, but I never thought we'd still be waiting on hour plus long lines a week and a half after the storm.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Isles Junkie

http://mappler.net/gasstation/

I don't remember if I posted this ITT or not, but this map has been doing a good job updating who has & doesn't have gas. Not all stations are shown though. I believe if you email the guy who runs the map & update him on a station not shown he'll put it on.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
I don't know how true it is cause its just the rumor going around that we won't be getting power back here in East Rockaway/Oceanside until possibly around thanksgiving which is insane.

Get this BS LIPA actually called my house today, we have a land line with cable back up and running, to make sure we got our bill and that it wasn't lost in the storm or the hassle afterwards and they're just calling to remind people.. even though our account is up to date they're calling to get money are they for real?! I thought my girl friend was going to punch the guy thru the phone.

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Isles Junkie

yeah utility companies need to sit down, do the work, find out who had & didn't have service & bill them correctly. It really isn't fair to bill someone in full for phone service if you don't have phone service. Not that it's the phone companies fault, but a little good will on their part will only help their customers appreciate them.