HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
North Dakota Fighting Sioux

New thread for the Fighting Sioux has begun.The nickname battle is not over folks.Long live the Fighting Sioux.

Old
04-14-2010, 01:25 AM
LetsGoIslanders

vCash: 500
As a UND alumni, I will never donate a dollar more to the Alumni Association if the Fighting Sioux is put in the garbage. I admit, I'm 27, so my donations are of limited value, but it just disgusts me. We can all thank the liberal arts faculty, the Indian activists, the NCAA, and the crappy D1 leagues that UND will compete in besides hockey. Why is that when my fraternity did projects on the res there were kids wearing Fighting Sioux jerseys? Why did those Native Americans thank us and the school for our work? That's right. The Indian activists don't represent them. UND gives more free Native American scholarships than any school in the nation.

Old
04-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Dakota Sioux

According to Hakstol yesterday Genoway has applied for a medical redshirt and he will be making a decision about next year in the near future. Stay tuned.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:52 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Is Genoway going to leave NoDak with a doctorate ater all this? Or should he get huirt again and re apply. Would his kid have a chance to play with him at NoDak. Isn't the guy going to turn 26 during the season.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I know it's early but I'm wondering how things are looking among the forwards for next year. I'm hoping to see Mike Cichy get a regular spot in the lineup, I liked what I saw from him when he did play.

I'm going to guess that next season will be the last for Kristo, another good season from him and the Habs may be looking to sign him for the AHL. (total guess at this point, haven't heard anything)

Old
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM
mnhowitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
As a UND alumni, I will never donate a dollar more to the Alumni Association if the Fighting Sioux is put in the garbage.
I understand your frustration...but I hope all UND alumni feel this way so they quit donating money and the hockey program goes to crap.

Old
04-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I know it's early but I'm wondering how things are looking among the forwards for next year. I'm hoping to see Mike Cichy get a regular spot in the lineup, I liked what I saw from him when he did play.

I'm going to guess that next season will be the last for Kristo, another good season from him and the Habs may be looking to sign him for the AHL. (total guess at this point, haven't heard anything)
They will be only losing Zajac and VandeVelde at forwards to graduation and according to Hakstol he doesn't think anyone will be leaving early.I thought Cichy would be a regular this past season because he looked good early then he hit a wall and found himself being a healthy scratch alot.Going to be tough to crack the lineup next fall so it depends alot on what these younger guys do in the off season.

Old
04-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Is Genoway going to leave NoDak with a doctorate ater all this? Or should he get huirt again and re apply. Would his kid have a chance to play with him at NoDak. Isn't the guy going to turn 26 during the season.
Chay is 23 which is a half year older than Kangas.

Old
04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhowitzer View Post
I understand your frustration...but I hope all UND alumni feel this way so they quit donating money and the hockey program goes to crap.
The way the Fighting Sioux have been kicking your rodents ass lately I understand why you would feel that way.

Old
04-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Teemu

I feel your pain. The U of I won't see a penny of my income until Illiniwek is back

Old
04-19-2010, 09:12 PM
PSUJorge

At least U of I got to keep the "Illini" name. They should just have a student start dressing up as Chief for every game.

Old
04-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Dakota Sioux

Sioux recruit Derek Forbert rated #6 in upcoming draft.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...e-report_N.htm

Old
04-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Dakota Sioux

How could the higher board of education take the name away form this 4 year old Sioux fan. Shame on you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA5cme_ZBu8

Old
04-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Dakota Sioux

Still no update on Sioux defenseman Chay Genoway. After the season, UND said it would give him the time he needed in order to make a decision. Nothing has changed since then. He's also still waiting to be medically cleared.Hakstol also said that there are several NHL teams interested in him when and if he does get cleared to play. The hit that caused this still makes me bitter.Should not have happened.

Old
04-27-2010, 06:49 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
New thread for the Fighting Sioux has begun.The nickname battle is not over folks.Long live the Fighting Sioux.
Just my own opinion as a college hockey fan, I hope you get to keep the nickname. When I have been out by Mt Rushmore, I have seen the bumper stickers with "Custer got Siouxed". I am not offended by that. My guess is that most of them were on cars belonging to Native Americans. The Sioux fought hard, that is history, whether people on either side like it or not.

Old
04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Dakota Sioux

Former University of North Dakota standouts Matt Greene and T.J. Oshie have been named to the United States roster for the upcoming International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) World Hockey Championship. They join Former Sioux Taylor Chorney who was named to the team earlier in the month.

Old
05-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Dakota Sioux

So far so good.No rumblings of anyone leaving early.It stays that way and the Sioux have to be considered a real threat to win it all next year.Of course I could say that about any year damn near.

Old
05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Dakota Sioux

The countdown is on.151 days until the puck drops at the Ralph.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Dakota Sioux

Chay Genoway coming back to the Sioux this fall.Press conference today at 1.

Old
05-06-2010, 12:29 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Chay Genoway coming back to the Sioux this fall.Press conference today at 1.
I figured he would. he has turned the chance to leave early before and went throught the procedure for a medical redshirt, so not much of a surprise. It's good news for the Giouxns, they weren't at all the same when Chay went down.

NoDak should be a legit contender next year. This season I thought they needed another year under their belts to hit the next level. DU and Bucky are losing a lot so St. Cloud is the only team I see challenging them for the MacNaughton this year. Nationally, Miami and BC are the only teams I can think of coming back stacked. BC staying staying intact should send a collective chill down everyone's spine.

Old
05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
I figured he would. he has turned the chance to leave early before and went throught the procedure for a medical redshirt, so not much of a surprise. It's good news for the Giouxns, they weren't at all the same when Chay went down.

NoDak should be a legit contender next year. This season I thought they needed another year under their belts to hit the next level. DU and Bucky are losing a lot so St. Cloud is the only team I see challenging them for the MacNaughton this year. Nationally, Miami and BC are the only teams I can think of coming back stacked. BC staying staying intact should send a collective chill down everyone's spine.
Just glad the kid is back functioning normally.These damn things can linger on for the rest of peoples lives in some cases.
BC always scares me for obvious reasons but they have to be the favorite to win it again going into next season.Hopefully if the Sioux somehow get back to the frozen four somebody upset BC by then.

Old
05-06-2010, 01:39 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Just glad the kid is back functioning normally.These damn things can linger on for the rest of peoples lives in some cases.
BC always scares me for obvious reasons but they have to be the favorite to win it again going into next season.Hopefully if the Sioux somehow get back to the frozen four somebody upset BC by then.
What are you doing responding in the middle of the afternoon...aren't you supposed to be at work?

I didn't read the article; did Chay get medical clearance to play yet? I knew he was still waiting for the Dr's okay a couple weeks ago.

Maybe Michigan State will be up to the upset task next year. Rick Comley's teams play a great defensive rope-a-dope game. I wouldn't mind seeing him coach the U.S. juniors. he seems to get decent/mediocre teams to perform at high levels. If BC plays like they did this year then the other team will need to be packing heat to stop them.

Old
05-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
What are you doing responding in the middle of the afternoon...aren't you supposed to be at work?

I didn't read the article; did Chay get medical clearance to play yet? I knew he was still waiting for the Dr's okay a couple weeks ago.

Maybe Michigan State will be up to the upset task next year. Rick Comley's teams play a great defensive rope-a-dope game. I wouldn't mind seeing him coach the U.S. juniors. he seems to get decent/mediocre teams to perform at high levels. If BC plays like they did this year then the other team will need to be packing heat to stop them.
Rabid it's called vacation.

Chay has not been cleared to play yet but with this announcement that he is coming back next fall I have to believe he is close to getting cleared.Just my hunch.

Old
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Dakota Sioux

Chay says his decision to comeback was an easy one.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/160502/

Old
05-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Dakota Sioux

Award: Jeff Anderson Hockey Scholarship
Criteria: Player voted most valuable player by his teammates
2009-10 Recipient: Chris VandeVelde (Senior, Forward)

Award: Cliff "Fido" Purpur Award
Criteria: Player who demonstrates hard work, determination and being a creator of excitement on the ice
2009-10 Recipient: Mario Lamoureux (Sophomore, Forward), Evan Trupp (Junior, Forward)

Award: Tom Hoghaug Memorial Scholarship
Criteria: Freshman who has demonstrated initiative, character and a sense of responsibility
2009-10 Recipient: Andrew MacWilliam (Freshman, Defenseman)

Award: Archie Krum Memorial Athletic Scholarship
Criteria: Player who has demonstrated leadership qualities, high academic standards and athletic excellence
2009-10 Recipient: Chay Genoway (Senior, Defenseman), Darcy Zajac (Senior, Forward)

Award: Plus/Minus Award
Criteria: Highest plus/minus rating on the team
2009-10 Recipient: Jake Marto, +18 (Junior, Defenseman)

Award: Most Improved Player
2009-10 Recipient: Tate Maris (Freshman, Goalie)

Award: Rookie of the Year
2009-10 Recipient: Danny Kristo (Freshman, Forward)

Award: Coaches Unsung Hero Award
2009-10 Recipient: Jake Marto (Junior, Defenseman)

Closed Thread