HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Amerks vs Bulldogs Tue Oct 23 7:35PM ET First Niagara Center

Old
10-24-2012, 09:23 AM
OkimLom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
First time I've seen him go down to block any shots this year but man does someone need to teach him how to do it right. Both times I saw him block a shot last night the Hamilton player was winding up and Girg just took a knee right in front of him with his face exposed, not the greatest idea. Overall, I think he's doing fine for an 18 year old though. Has had some big hits, doesn't make too many huge mistakes.
Agree. I mean, I'm sure everyone knows he tough, but if he continues this he'll be as injured as often as Kaleta is.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:13 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Funny to see people say they didn't notice Girgs. Not sure what game they were watching.
I think they mean they didn't notice him in the box score after the game. If you watch the games you can see that he doesn't look out of place at all. Like any rookie, he makes mistakes, but physically he is right there with the rest of them. Funny thing about the complaining about Girgensons playing in a men's league at 18.... when it was Armia, nobody made a peep. Just the opposite, it was a huge selling point for Armia that he was playing in a men's league so young. I never heard anybody suggest that his development was going to be hurt by it.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:40 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

It's the standard stuff from people who never watch prospects play.

If a player is young, they say he shouldn't be playing in League X because he's not ready yet.

If a player is older, they say the team is holding him back by keeping him in League X instead of League Y.

Girgensons is FINE. He's 18, playing with many players older and with more pro experience, and STILL playing a solid game overall. Pro-tip : THIS IS GOOD.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:44 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
I think they mean they didn't notice him in the box score after the game. If you watch the games you can see that he doesn't look out of place at all. Like any rookie, he makes mistakes, but physically he is right there with the rest of them. Funny thing about the complaining about Girgensons playing in a men's league at 18.... when it was Armia, nobody made a peep. Just the opposite, it was a huge selling point for Armia that he was playing in a men's league so young. I never heard anybody suggest that his development was going to be hurt by it.
Well, that's because that aspect of quality of competition is vastly overrated.

The thing that really matters is that a player follows his natural development curve.
Armia is lucky enough to be in a country with a strong development system and made the correct decision to develop there.
Organizations in strong countries like Finland specialize in developing players from youth to senior because it is their primary source for new players.
Girgensons wasn't as lucky and chose to come to North America instead.
He should be on the regular junior develop arc where he plays out the majority of his junior eligibility or spends a few years in college, but instead they've decided to circumvent that and put him in a weak men's league that has no idea how to develop unfinished prospects like him.

And because I know what the retorts to this will be, I'll preemptively address them: yes, European leagues are stronger than the AHL and let me remind you that regardless of Rolston's experience with the NTDP, he has never sent a player directly to the NHL.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:01 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Getting worried about Girgs, he hasn't been visible at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosswally View Post
he is also a 18 year old kid jumping straight from the USHL and the AHL is currently saturated with talent because of the lockout, give him time, he's playing smart simple hockey and is not making mistakes that cost the team
I was at the game and the group I was with all thought he was the most impressive
Amerk on the ice, specifically with his defensive play. He hasnt shown a lot of flash offensively but his physical play, board play and back check are just awesome for an 18 year old.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
but instead they've decided to circumvent that and put him in a weak men's league that has no idea how to develop unfinished prospects like him.

And because I know what the retorts to this will be, I'll preemptively address them: yes, European leagues are stronger than the AHL and let me remind you that regardless of Rolston's experience with the NTDP, he has never sent a player directly to the NHL.
You can preemptively address anything, but the notion that the AHL is a "weak mens league" just goes to show anything you say on this topic is moot. It shouldn't even warrant a response.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Just to be clear, I thought Girgensons played well last night, but I just don't have the energy to defend him against every "he should be playing in Kelowna" quip. Off the top of my head, I can remember his near-miss on a breakaway pass, a SOG from the side-wall, a Carubba Collision at center ice and one drawn penalty late on. I can't place the previously mentioned blocked shots in the game, but he did that versus Hershey as well. Girgensons did all this while hustling hard and winning battles along the boards, so I'd hardly call that invisible or inadequate for his sixth pro game. It'll take some time for him to settle in offensively, adjusting to more talented (than USHL) linemates. Patience is the key, especially with a prospect that's likely to play the next two years in the AHL anyway.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
You can preemptively address anything, but the notion that the AHL is a "weak mens league" just goes to show anything you say on this topic is moot. It shouldn't even warrant a response.
Reality is that there are multiple leagues that are better than the AHL, so that would make it weak.
It's not incredibly weak, but it is weaker than other men's leagues out there.
It's not like it's the #2 league in the world behind the NHL (or even #3 or #4,) so comparing the Girgensons situation to European players developing Europe isn't really fair.

The best players usually move on fairly quickly and you're left with old guys that can't hack it in the NHL and are average to below average in Europe and depth prospects for the most part.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:48 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Reality is that there are multiple leagues that are better than the AHL, so that would make it weak.
It's not incredibly weak, but it is weaker than other men's leagues out there.
It's not like it's the #2 league in the world behind the NHL (or even #3 or #4,) so comparing the Girgensons situation to European players developing Europe isn't really fair.

The best players usually move on fairly quickly and you're left with old guys that can't hack it in the NHL and are average to below average in Europe and depth prospects for the most part.
Compared with European leagues that are filled with no namers who couldn't even hack it in the ECHL. This debate is going nowhere, neither will change their mind.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Disengage

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Who laid the hit at 2:20?

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Who laid the hit at 2:20?
I was too busy *****ing at them for allowing the SH 3-on-1 in the first place that I think I actually missed that, but it looks like Porter swooping in there, as he's the one unaccounted for on that unit. I see Mancari, Pysyk, Varone and Adam, double-digits, Varone-ish size and a LH stick. It's likely Porter.

Alternative highlights:

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:02 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Just to be clear, I thought Girgensons played well last night, but I just don't have the energy to defend him against every "he should be playing in Kelowna" quip. Off the top of my head, I can remember his near-miss on a breakaway pass, a SOG from the side-wall, a Carubba Collision at center ice and one drawn penalty late on. I can't place the previously mentioned blocked shots in the game, but he did that versus Hershey as well. Girgensons did all this while hustling hard and winning battles along the boards, so I'd hardly call that invisible or inadequate for his sixth pro game. It'll take some time for him to settle in offensively, adjusting to more talented (than USHL) linemates. Patience is the key, especially with a prospect that's likely to play the next two years in the AHL anyway.
Thanks for the report on Girgs. It sounds like he is doing ok all things considered.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Exactly.

The KHL is def above the AHL, but most leagues after that are on par or below the AHL in skill level. Also, the AHL is a lot more competitive this year with the lockout and all.

That was a pretty ridiculous statement.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:35 AM
UncleBenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I was too busy *****ing at them for allowing the SH 3-on-1 in the first place that I think I actually missed that, but it looks like Porter swooping in there, as he's the one unaccounted for on that unit. I see Mancari, Pysyk, Varone and Adam, double-digits, Varone-ish size and a LH stick. It's likely Porter.
I remember it happening, it was definitely Porter. If that guy didn't pick his head up at the last minute Porter would have wrecked him.

UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Imlach a cup

The AHL is significantly better right now than it usually is. The only player I thought looked put of place was Roy, he worked really hard but Hamilton's dmen were literally 1handing him off. He's not a checking line player at all but I think he might benefit when the NHLers leave and he can possibly get some scoring line play. Good hustle too tiny.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote