HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago Sports/General Sports Thread • Part XIV: WOO IRISH

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed. He also pitched better in the second half last year and started striking out a lot more guys.

Garza
Samardzija
Baker
Wood
Feldman

I'd still like to see us sign another starter that can pitch as a longman or starter, Carlos Villanueva would be perfect.
I think they will. Consider last year they paid $25 mil for players not to pitch in Chicago and $14 mil to Dempster. Feldman and Baker are both signed for less than what they paid Dempster. I think they'll sign one more starter and an outfielder. I like that Feldman can and has come out of the bullpen in the past.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed. He also pitched better in the second half last year and started striking out a lot more guys.

Garza
Samardzija
Baker
Wood
Feldman

I'd still like to see us sign another starter that can pitch as a longman or starter, Carlos Villanueva would be perfect.
The yo-yo guy is the guy they just signed.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
For Wright, I'd go as high as 19M a year over 7 years (133M). We need to jump on this guy, usually always in the lineup, always puts up numbers.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:41 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
The yo-yo guy is the guy they just signed.
Then sign McCarthy.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:42 AM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

I'd have no problem with that

Old
11-27-2012, 10:43 AM
RayP

Quote:
For Wright, I'd go as high as 19M a year over 7 years (133M). We need to jump on this guy, usually always in the lineup, always puts up numbers.
Yeah, only one injured season... and I'm chalking up his declining power numbers of recent due to that new park they moved into. Not to mention Shea wasn't exactly a hitters paradise either.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Then sign McCarthy.
Feldman and McCarthy are friends too

Old
11-27-2012, 11:10 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Feldman and McCarthy are friends too
Yeah, I noticed that in the article, would be great to have both.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Cullksinikers

Feldman is a nice addition for cheap.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
coldsteelonice84

Ryan Madson close to signing with Angels. I would have liked him on a 1 year deal.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:51 PM
hawksfan50

Changing the subject--to the bcs rankings...of course the sec always gets overblown credit and higher bcs rankings for perception by the 'experts' punditing and somehow it is a mystery in the computer influences on these standings...The argument of some that even FLA has a better resume than Notre Dame must be analyzed in light of the JOKE of a schedule played by Alabama to date ---

FLA INT'L/ Western Kentucky,Western Carolina, and SEC doormats --just awful this year --Tennesee and Auburn!!! Mediocre SEC teams like OL MISS annd ARKANSAS? And an injury depleted Missouri team that was a shadow of what it was supposed to be.. Yep they beat Michigan and LSU --but then when confronted with a real offense --the "Great Bama" looses to A&M and Johhny Football at HOME..
This is hardly worthy enough a scdule and result to be ranked #2 --rather it is a JOKE ...

Now credit ND for winning all its games and against a much tougher schedule than Bama played to date--- BUT:

. several of the games were close wins--hardly dominating ---

.the OT win over STanford was with STanford playing NUnes at QB --not with Kevin Hogan at the helm--and even an idiot would agree they are a much better offense now with Hogan ..

.beating a mediocre Purdue by just 3 pts and AN ACC WEAK SISTER OFF YEAR bc team by only 21-6 and another weak ACC LOSER , WAKE FORREST albeit 38-0 --shows you how lousy wf was this year ---is hardly impressive...NAVY IS A JOKE...CLOBBERED MIAMI but then again--all acc teams this year were a joke except CLEMSON and FLA STATE which are over-rated anyway because the ACC IS A JOKE LEAGUE THIS YEAR..

. GIVE ND credit for a close win over MICHIGAN and more credit for the impressive win over OKLAHOMA and another close win over SO CAL but that was a SO CAL with no MATT BARKLEY ----but SO Cal got a whipping from UCLA and UCLA GOT WHIPPED BY A HOGAN-led STANFORD...

ALL I AM SAYING IS ONTHE WHOLE ND REALLY IS NOT THAT GOOD EITHER ...

This is why I hope GEORGIA defeats ALABAMA and I hope by a wide margin--then maybe there willbe at least one worthy team in the 'NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME'

--but it is really aLL NONESENSE ---rankings are mere opinions and perceptions and even the computers do not take in the overall fklaws and weaknesses of confrences and so over-rank far too many teams when comparing strength of schedule 'results' ..

THE only way to resolve this mess is to drop rankings--go to a playoff system9all teams should be in leagues0 and mano a mano eliminations of league champs against other league champs till only 2 teams remain standing from such league champ plaoffs..

LIKE IN OTHER SPORTS--IT MAY NOT BE THE BEST RANKED TEAM via opinions or computers with their flaed assumptions---but rather the best SURVIVOR TEAM --first to win their league--then survive elimination in playoffs --that stands as national champion at the end...all other options are flawed and even the 2014 re-vamped system of a top 4 inplayoffs willbe flawed by the same perception biases and opinion stenches..

The other big stench is that any purported BEST TEAM IN A LEAGUE that is supposed to be THE BEST of ALL LEAGUES that is allowed to play esstentially 3 practice games against pushovers who would not ven make the top 150 teams in the nation ...that the sec allows such dreck to go on---is a joke . When SEC experts then tellus how great Bama is because the sec is so great as a league and Bama is the cream of the league in coachng defense and athletes no other league can match--then you witness the mess of awfullness that Auburn and Tennesse and Kentucky were add in soe mediocre mid-pack sec teams and you are left with GEORGIA,FLA, S. CAR,LSU AND TEX A&M AS THE LEAGUE POWERS --IF THEY HAD ALL PLAYED EACH OTHER--THEN WE MIGHT CREDIT THE SEC AS THE STRONGEST LEAGUE THAT CAN DETERMINE A CANDIDATE FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME--INSTEAD THE SEC GIVES US 3 PATSY GAMES + 2 BOTTOM FEEDERS + 1 MID-PACK POWER + SOME MID-PACK .500 OR WORSE SQUADS AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOU GOT A SEC OVER-HYPED SCHEDULE FOR THE CREAM OF THE CROP SQUADS,,,IT ALL STINKS.

FIRST THEY SHOULD NEVER ALLOW ANY PATSY TEAMS SO THAT THE MIGHTY CAN RUN A PRACTICE GAME --LET ALONE 3 OF THESE ON A SCDULE OF NON-SEC OPPONENTS.. A HUGE JOKE.

NEXT YOU CAN'T PROTECT AGAINST OFF YEAR BOTTOM FEEDERS OR INJURY PLAGUED MID-PACK TEAMS IN YOUR OWN LEAGUE--STUFF HAPPENS EVERY YEAR--BUT YOU COULD REPLACE THE 3 PATSY NON SEC GAMES WITH MORE INTER-CONFERENCE SEC OPPONENTS ON A ROTATION BASIS TO GET A MUCH MUCH MORE WORTHY SEC 'RESULT' EVEN FOR OPINIONS IN NATIONAL RANKINGS----RIGHT NOW THE SEC IS GETTING CREDIT FOR THE COMBINED OVERALL STRENGTH WHEN THE 2 CONFERENCES ARE CONSIDERED IN THE WHOLE--BUT IS NOT GIVEN ENOUGH DISCREDIT FOR THE 3 PATSY PRACTICE GAMES AGAINST NON-SEC JOKE COMPETITION WHICH OPUGHT TO BE INSTEAD PLAYING 3 MORE SEC TEAMS FROM THE OTHER CONFERENCE OF WHICH IN ANY YEAR 1,2 OR ALL 3 OF THEM COULD BE TOUGH OPPNENTS--CERTAINLY TOUGHER THAN WESTERN CAR,WESTERN KENTUCKY OR FL INT'L ...OR WOFFORD OR GEORGIA SOUTHERN ETCC ETC..AS THE CASES MAY BE NOW..

I DISPUTE THE GOD-GIVEN RIGHT THE SEC PUNDITS ALWAYS STATE WHY THEIR LEAGUE HAS TO BE REPRESENTED IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

I DISPUTE THAT ND WHILE BEATING SOME VERY GOOD TOP 20 TEAMS --ALSO DID NOT OVERALL DOMINATE THAT MANY GAMES AND WON A LOT OF CLOSE CALL GAMES AND ALSO PLAYED A FEW PATSIES ...

WORTHY TEAMS NEED TO NOT PLAY ANY PATSIES IF POSSIBLE--CERTAINLY NOT BY DESIGN--- AND WORTHY TEAMS NEED TO SURVIVE A CRUCIBLE OF AN ALL ON THE LIONE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME OF A LEAGUE BEFORE BEING INVITED INTO A PLAYDOWN SYSTEM..

THAT would be the optimum--instead we get over-hype ... To me I do not hink ND would beat Stanford in a re-match if HOGAN was directing the C ARDINAL offense that time around.. TO me I hope GEORGIA beats ALABAMA because frankly the BAMA schedule was a huge joke this year...

IF ND could beat GEORGIA in that case -then i will give ND all the respect in the world.. IF BAMA beats GEORGIA in the S EC title game--it only cements my conclusion the S EC itself was a joke league this year --yes some good teams--especially TEX a7m once they found their stride and Johnny FOOTBAL 'emerged' to PROVE that BIG 12 offensive style CAN THRIVE in the 'tough defense/smashmouth'' SEC...the MISSOURI case for that has to wait till next year --because even BAMA would be hobbled if it lost 3 startibng o-line,starting QB ,and assorted other injury cases ---

IN conclusion--- 12-0 NOTRE DAME and currently 11-1 ALABAMA ON THE SURFACE LOOK TO BE WORTHY OPPONENTS FOR A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME--BUT IN REALITY THEY ARE BOH OVER-HYPED ..

WE NOW GET THE HYPE HEADLINES OF NOTRE DAME THE BEST SEC TEAM NOT IN THE SEC --once again over crediting the 'uniquenes of sec football for its defensive prowess' crediting ND with such similar 'great defense' but forgetting the crap-pile of patsy games the sec allows itys teams to get aweay with and forgetting the crap -pile that was the bootom anmd mid-pack sections of both SEC conferences this year--and forgetiing that lots of other teams in the nation play good defense too --and against tougher conference and non-conference opposition ...Further this crediting oF alleged defense over BALANCE WITH SOME BETTER OFFENSIVE PROWESS MASKS WEAKNESESS OF BOTH NOTRE DAME AND THE SEC POWERS ON OFFENSE .....NEITHER BAMA NOR NOTRE DAME HAVE ANYTHING MORE THAN ADEQUATE OFFENSES WHICH WOULD BE LESS SO IF THEIR DEFENSES DID NOT GET THEM THE BALL BACK AS MUCH ..

Credit ND like any team going through any schedule 12-0--you have to be injury-free lmostly lucky,you gotta get some ref calls, you goota get some luck with opponents not being at their best (STANFORD playing them without HOGAN at the hel; SO CAL playing them without BARKLEY at the helm) ---but such HYPE as to bestow them as SEC -worthy? -what an honour! AS if STANFORD OR A HOST of other good teams in the nation could not beat MOST SEC teams on any given day!

A non-sec team picks up a loss and whamo they plumet huge in the rankings ...BAMA loses to the best competition they favced all year --lost to a real offense and JOHNNY FOOTBALL -but of course that was an SEC TEAM albeit not playing SEC style ball ... ARE we to believe that if TEX A&M had the same team BUT was back in the BIG 12 --somehow BAMA would have beaten them --the answer is a flat NO WAY!

THE whole BAMA and SEC hype machines STINK to high heaven --at least as much as the ND hype machine....THESE propaganda machines are CRAZY IF THEY THINK THEIR TEAM ON ANY GIVEN DAY CANNOT LOSE TO several opponents in thetop 25....rankings are flawed and subjective and biased.COmputer rankings have flaws..

THE only way to properly solve a CHAMPIONSHIP of the entire nation is to survive a playdown elimination series and win the fianal of such a process...Last man standing etc.. THE rest is just all hype only.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Okay then...

Old
11-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Illinihockey

lol.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
One of Fiddy's all-time posts IMO

Old
11-27-2012, 02:06 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Strength of Schedule Rankings according to the NCAA

ND #14
Bama #29
Georgia #60

Old
11-27-2012, 03:21 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I tried, honestly.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
RayP

Skimmed the first sentence, started the second sentence but just couldn't finish.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

STanford.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I expected both Sox/Cubs to be low key this offseason but man it has been dead with regards to news from either franchise

Old
11-27-2012, 04:08 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Cubs will sign a couple other guys and maybe make a trade or two. No one of Greinke's caliber.

Trade deadline fiesta again.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I expected both Sox/Cubs to be low key this offseason but man it has been dead with regards to news from either franchise
Cubs already signed 2 guys that will be in their starting rotation.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Or we can give up a stupid amount for Giancarlo.

Maybe Vogelbach, Castro, Baez, Szczur, McNutt, and cash for Stanton and Morrison.

That's probably what it would take. Just an absurd amount. They may have to switch out Vogy for the Rizziah.

Old
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Can't wait for the draft. Whitson's arm injuries had him take a fall. Now it looks like Stanek or Manaea. Manaea being the physically imposing lefty with a high ceiling. Stanek being the projectable, high floor righty.

I want that 2014 1st pick for Rodon though.

Old
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Or we can give up a stupid amount for Giancarlo.

Maybe Vogelbach, Castro, Baez, Szczur, McNutt, and cash for Stanton and Morrison.

That's probably what it would take. Just an absurd amount. They may have to switch out Vogy for the Rizziah.
That's a lot... Rizzo too would be too much.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Illinihockey

I don't think the Cubs are locked into taking a pitcher. I think they will go BPA and that could easily be a position player.

Closed Thread