HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chi-Edm

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2012, 02:25 PM
  #76
Pucklington
Registered User
 
Pucklington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I'd start to consider this, but I wouldn't add Stalberg and a 1st...
Edmonton wouldn't though.

Pucklington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:00 PM
  #77
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
TSN's laughable ranking of Toews as the 3rd best player in the world a couple of years back has made his value seem pretty ridiculous on these boards. Chicago wouldn't trade him, but the Oil wouldn't trade Eberle either, so at best, this is a "no way in hell" from both sides.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:51 AM
  #78
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,872
vCash: 500
Toews is underrated around HF, not overrated

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
  #79
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,129
vCash: 500
^^ Exactly. People hear the "loud few," the Toews supporters who make themselves heard by everyone, the people claiming he's hands-down better than Stamkos, perhaps on par with Malkin, etc.

While any reasonable person knows Toews is not on that level, the rest of these boards seem to take the opinion of that loud few and assume it's the opinion of the majority.
Not even close.

Toews is underrated, often due to people not understanding how good an offensive player he actually is. He has been essentially at a point-per-game in his last 139, and yet all you'll hear is that he's nothing more than a 65-70 point forward. Apparently it's his fault Thornton sucker punched him in the back of the head this year to knock him out of the lineup for 20-odd games.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:31 AM
  #80
Iceonfire
Registered User
 
Iceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
The key piece to this deal is clearly Gagner. Chicago fans don't want us to have any more 8 point nights lol.

Both teams say no. Toews is the face of their team, that would be like the Isles losing Tavares.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:26 AM
  #81
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Both Toews and Eberle are key pieces to their teams.

To Edmonton, losing Eberle and their 2nd line centre as well as a 31st to 45th pick in the draft is quite a bit.

But to Chicago, Toews is their 1st line centre, great 2-way player and their captain.

Both teams have a reason to decline the deal.

LeHabsMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:01 AM
  #82
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Someone has to explain to me how a team that finishes last, or second last, LITERALLY every year, has so many players with such high value, that are proven winners? Turning down an offer for a player like Toews...when the only player of value that you lose really is Eberle...come on.

I mean, talking to Oilers fans about value regarding any of the big 4, is like trying to convince a Romney supporter that **** can cause pregnancy. It's a big waste of time, because one side is completely unreasonable.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:35 AM
  #83
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Someone has to explain to me how a team that finishes last, or second last, LITERALLY every year, has so many players with such high value, that are proven winners? Turning down an offer for a player like Toews...when the only player of value that you lose really is Eberle...come on.

I mean, talking to Oilers fans about value regarding any of the big 4, is like trying to convince a Romney supporter that **** can cause pregnancy. It's a big waste of time, because one side is completely unreasonable.
This.

A team that has been the laughing stock of the league for how many years, and has picked first how many years straight shouldnt be saying this person or that is untouchable, but thats my opinion.

Toews is a winner, and already has a Cup. His price tag would be huge and there isnt a good reason for a perpetual loser such as the Oilers who have to build thru the draft to trade away the assets needed to bring a player of Toews caliber. I laugh when people say the value of Toews and Eberle is close when it really, really isnt. Players like Toews dont grow on trees

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:33 PM
  #84
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
This.

A team that has been the laughing stock of the league for how many years, and has picked first how many years straight shouldnt be saying this person or that is untouchable, but thats my opinion.

Toews is a winner, and already has a Cup. His price tag would be huge and there isnt a good reason for a perpetual loser such as the Oilers who have to build thru the draft to trade away the assets needed to bring a player of Toews caliber. I laugh when people say the value of Toews and Eberle is close when it really, really isnt. Players like Toews dont grow on trees
Looks at how Chicago became a good team. (Through sucking since your hockey knowledge is a bit on the lacking side). Why would you set out to be the biggest hypocrite of the thread and make fun of teams sucking, your team was a horrible unrelevant joke for a decade with such a bad owner the team wasnt even on TV. But yea oilers sucking is somehow tanking and a disgrace but Chicago its fine. Toews was drafted 2nd round right, he wasnt a lottery pick or anything?

Having said all that I love Toews and watching Chicago and if I were them I wouldnt trade him for Eberle straight up either or for a package with Gagner as the main peace. Its just funny how this poster had so much vitrol for the Oilers being in the lottery for 2010, 2011, 2012 and saying the team had been there forever when in fact they have not been a lottery team since 1994. Im pretty sure there is a saying involving glass houses and stones since every time an analyst brings up tanking to get a good team Chicago is always listed.

If the Oilers every become good I hope fans remember the dark years so they dont get so smug and out to lunch to post crap like this. I mean you dont have to go back that far. In 2008 the oilers were better then Chicago so its not like this team has been a power house for a decade.

/Rant

Jamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:46 PM
  #85
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Looks at how Chicago became a good team. (Through sucking since your hockey knowledge is a bit on the lacking side). Why would you set out to be the biggest hypocrite of the thread and make fun of teams sucking, your team was a horrible unrelevant joke for a decade with such a bad owner the team wasnt even on TV. But yea oilers sucking is somehow tanking and a disgrace but Chicago its fine. Toews was drafted 2nd round right, he wasnt a lottery pick or anything?

Having said all that I love Toews and watching Chicago and if I were them I wouldnt trade him for Eberle straight up either or for a package with Gagner as the main peace. Its just funny how this poster had so much vitrol for the Oilers being in the lottery for 2010, 2011, 2012 and saying the team had been there forever when in fact they have not been a lottery team since 1994. Im pretty sure there is a saying involving glass houses and stones since every time an analyst brings up tanking to get a good team Chicago is always listed.

If the Oilers every become good I hope fans remember the dark years so they dont get so smug and out to lunch to post crap like this. I mean you dont have to go back that far. In 2008 the oilers were better then Chicago so its not like this team has been a power house for a decade.

/Rant
Agreed.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:17 PM
  #86
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,129
vCash: 500
Hawks got a #1 and #3 overall in their bad years. Keith, Seabrook, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Bolland, Hossa, Campbell, Sharp, Niemi... every part of that team save Toews and Kane were drafted outside the top-10, traded for, or picked up as UFAs.

Point being, people overrate (badly) the degree to which Chicago got good via high draft picks.

Now sure, take away Toews and Kane and that team doesn't win the Cup - no argument there. But you compare that team with its two lottery picks and loads of talent traded for or signed to the Oilers, who are still in the basement and have just completed drafting #1 overall for the third time in a row... yeah, it's quite a bit different.

I almost always disagree with Martini, but he isn't incorrect here. It amazes me how so much value can be put into a player for "being a winner" when his team has been in the cellar his entire career. Even aside from that, though, Eberle is nowhere near the all-around player Toews is. Nor the leader.
And yes, leadership can be qualified to a degree. Toews was named captain when he was 20, and went on to lead his team to a WCF appearance the following year. He followed that up by winning the Conn Smythe en route to a Cup the year after. He has been cited numerous times by teammates as a great captain and great leader.

Toews has accomplished a ton in a relatively short career in the NHL. Eberle just finished leading his team to another first overall pick.
No, that certainly isn't Eberle's fault. It is not taking something away from Eberle; rather, it is giving something to Toews.
He has had success every year of his career - even in his rookie season, his previously horrible team vaulted from laughingstock of the league to 2 points out of the playoffs (and indeed would have made it if not for his fluke leg injury suffered in Los Angeles).

He is a good deal more valuable than Jordan Eberle. The overrating of the latter has gotten nearly as bad on here as it already is for Tavares.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:34 PM
  #87
JayOnrait18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Not a chance. Towes is the Hawks and Eberle is the Oilers

JayOnrait18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:46 PM
  #88
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
The overrating of the latter has gotten nearly as bad on here as it already is for Tavares.
Tavares a young 80 pt center overrated. Yeah ok.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:17 PM
  #89
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Tavares a young 80 pt center overrated. Yeah ok.
Good players are incapable of being overrated?

Tavares has been labeled as apparently better than Giroux. Overrated indeed.

That isn't what this thread is about, though, so let's not go down that road.

(i.e. the only part of my post you chose to respond to was also the most irrelevant. But it's my fault for mentioning it at all, admittedly).

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:29 PM
  #90
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Hawks got a #1 and #3 overall in their bad years. Keith, Seabrook, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Bolland, Hossa, Campbell, Sharp, Niemi... every part of that team save Toews and Kane were drafted outside the top-10, traded for, or picked up as UFAs.

Point being, people overrate (badly) the degree to which Chicago got good via high draft picks.

Now sure, take away Toews and Kane and that team doesn't win the Cup - no argument there. But you compare that team with its two lottery picks and loads of talent traded for or signed to the Oilers, who are still in the basement and have just completed drafting #1 overall for the third time in a row... yeah, it's quite a bit different.

I almost always disagree with Martini, but he isn't incorrect here. It amazes me how so much value can be put into a player for "being a winner" when his team has been in the cellar his entire career. Even aside from that, though, Eberle is nowhere near the all-around player Toews is. Nor the leader.
And yes, leadership can be qualified to a degree. Toews was named captain when he was 20, and went on to lead his team to a WCF appearance the following year. He followed that up by winning the Conn Smythe en route to a Cup the year after. He has been cited numerous times by teammates as a great captain and great leader.

Toews has accomplished a ton in a relatively short career in the NHL. Eberle just finished leading his team to another first overall pick.
No, that certainly isn't Eberle's fault. It is not taking something away from Eberle; rather, it is giving something to Toews.
He has had success every year of his career - even in his rookie season, his previously horrible team vaulted from laughingstock of the league to 2 points out of the playoffs (and indeed would have made it if not for his fluke leg injury suffered in Los Angeles).

He is a good deal more valuable than Jordan Eberle. The overrating of the latter has gotten nearly as bad on here as it already is for Tavares.
In the end though, you're trying to measure the degree of suck.

Chicago was a bad team for a large chunk of time, had 3 lottery picks (the same as the Oilers), and went on to win a Stanley Cup.

But you act like that happened right after taking Toews, when in actuality Toews was a part of a bad team before they had all the pieces in place to win a cup.

Not to mention Toews and later Kane had the luxury of having 2 stud defensemen ready to contend as well in Keith and Seabrook that the Oilers simply didn't have over the last few years.

If your argument was drafting success the I would understand, but it's that our young players aren't as good because they haven't led us to anything.

Riddle me this. Instead of taking Hall and RNH in 2010 and 2011, the Oilers get Toews and Kane, do you honestly think the Oilers would be a playoff team with our defense and goaltending over the last 3 years?

If you do, then you clearly haven't seen enough Oiler games to see how epically bad we have been.

Toews and Kane would be piling on the losses right now with no rings and people would be saying the same things as you are about our young players.

The fact is hockey is a team game and the best overall team usually wins the Cup. You can only compare Toews/Kane to our players once the rest of the team is as good as the hawks.

If the Oilers still can't win in a few years when other areas improve, then ill buy into the loser notion.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:32 PM
  #91
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,564
vCash: 500
And back on topic, Toews has more value than Eberle because he is the better all around player and plays a more important position. I'm not buying that Toews is more valuable because he is a leader and that Eberle is some scrub. Eberle has been able to come up with big goals in every league, works hard, and leads by example.

Toews is the better player, I just don't think it's a vast gap between the two, especially if Eberle can improve defensively.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
  #92
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
In the end though, you're trying to measure the degree of suck.

Chicago was a bad team for a large chunk of time, had 3 lottery picks (the same as the Oilers), and went on to win a Stanley Cup.

But you act like that happened right after taking Toews, when in actuality Toews was a part of a bad team before they had all the pieces in place to win a cup.

Not to mention Toews and later Kane had the luxury of having 2 stud defensemen ready to contend as well in Keith and Seabrook that the Oilers simply didn't have over the last few years.

If your argument was drafting success the I would understand, but it's that our young players aren't as good because they haven't led us to anything.

Riddle me this. Instead of taking Hall and RNH in 2010 and 2011, the Oilers get Toews and Kane, do you honestly think the Oilers would be a playoff team with our defense and goaltending over the last 3 years?

If you do, then you clearly haven't seen enough Oiler games to see how epically bad we have been.

Toews and Kane would be piling on the losses right now with no rings and people would be saying the same things as you are about our young players.

The fact is hockey is a team game and the best overall team usually wins the Cup. You can only compare Toews/Kane to our players once the rest of the team is as good as the hawks.

If the Oilers still can't win in a few years when other areas improve, then ill buy into the loser notion.
The argument was that the Hawks didn't get good simply by getting lottery picks, and that is true.

What third lottery pick are you talking about? Toews and Kane are it.

(Also, the team Toews was on in his rookie season wasn't a "bad team." Are you sure you're not mixing up years?).

Another point I was trying to make is that you can't pump up Eberle as a winner in the NHL, because he has not done that yet. I am not saying he never can be a winner, I am only saying that it is wrong and unjustifiable to label him as that right now. Conversely, Toews has earned the label.

Toews was the best player on the best team. It confuses me that people refuse to give him that accolade which he justly deserves (this is not directed at you, but rather at a number of others who say Toews was purely the product of a great team - which is, of course, ridiculous).

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
  #93
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cupstandard View Post
Eberle, Gagner and a 2nd for Toews

Chicago would more scoring out of Ebs and Gagner then having just Toews. Oilers get a proven young leader. Fair deal?
Fair value, from an outside perspective.

However, Toews means more to Chicago and Eberle means more to Edmonton then their trade values actually are. For that reason, a deal like this doesn't go through.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:49 PM
  #94
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
The argument was that the Hawks didn't get good simply by getting lottery picks, and that is true.

What third lottery pick are you talking about? Toews and Kane are it.

(Also, the team Toews was on in his rookie season wasn't a "bad team." Are you sure you're not mixing up years?).

Another point I was trying to make is that you can't pump up Eberle as a winner in the NHL, because he has not done that yet. I am not saying he never can be a winner, I am only saying that it is wrong and unjustifiable to label him as that right now. Conversely, Toews has earned the label.

Toews was the best player on the best team. It confuses me that people refuse to give him that accolade which he justly deserves (this is not directed at you, but rather at a number of others who say Toews was purely the product of a great team - which is, of course, ridiculous).

IIRC, Cam Barker was a top 3 pick for the Hawks, which was my other lottery pick. While he was not a contributor, it is more a point that it was another year where the Hawks were a poor team and had the opportunity for to draft a lottery player.

That draft was a funny one though. Unfortunately for them that draft was rather poor and Barker was a complete bust. FORTUNATELY for them, they were able to acquire another lottery pick in Ladd that was a great role player in the playoffs.

I don't think any sane person would attempt to take away the fact that Toews was an MVP in winning a cup, regardless of how good the team was at the time.

I'm just not a fan of labelling people a "winner" and then listening to people talk about how our young players simply lead us to last place finishes. You simply cannot win without all the proper pieces in place, and Chicago had all of those line up at the right time and Edmonton hasn't even come close.

Every player is in a different situation in the NHL. Guys like Hall, RNH, Toews, Kane, etc. were winners throughout their minor hockey careers I am sure and then went on to dominate either the CHL or go the College route.

Unfortunately, some of those players get put into a situation that doesn't allow success early on in their careers, i.e. Oilers 1st picks, Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, etc. I mean, even Crosby didn't walk in and make the Penguins a good team, and they needed 4 picks in the TOP 2 to become the team they are today.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:58 PM
  #95
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,129
vCash: 500
Then I'm not so sure we really disagree, SDig. My post was less taking away something from Eberle than it was complimenting Toews. Eberle has not had success, but not that isn't really his fault. Toews has had success, and was the major driving force behind it, too (hence the Conn Smythe, Cup, etc.).

With that said, I stand by my comments on how the Hawks were built. Two lottery picks in Toews and Kane, and everything else via later draft positions, trades, or UFA.
Barker was traded before the deadline during the Cup season.
Ladd was not drafted by Chicago - credit to Tallon for trading Ruutu for him. Ended up as a solid deal for both sides. But again, this is an example of the team being built through a trade.
Other major contributors: Keith, Seabrook, Bolland, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Hjalmarsson, Burish all through the draft, with the highest pick being Seabrook at #14 overall and the rest all coming in the second round or later.
Through trade: Versteeg, Sharp, Ladd, Eager
Through signing/UFA: Campbell, Hossa, Niemi, Madden, Huet

Pretty much the whole '10 team right there.
Point being, the team was not just built on a bunch of lottery picks. Very far from it, actually.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:11 PM
  #96
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Then I'm not so sure we really disagree, SDig. My post was less taking away something from Eberle than it was complimenting Toews. Eberle has not had success, but not that isn't really his fault. Toews has had success, and was the major driving force behind it, too (hence the Conn Smythe, Cup, etc.).

With that said, I stand by my comments on how the Hawks were built. Two lottery picks in Toews and Kane, and everything else via later draft positions, trades, or UFA.
Barker was traded before the deadline during the Cup season.
Ladd was not drafted by Chicago - credit to Tallon for trading Ruutu for him. Ended up as a solid deal for both sides. But again, this is an example of the team being built through a trade.
Other major contributors: Keith, Seabrook, Bolland, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Hjalmarsson, Burish all through the draft, with the highest pick being Seabrook at #14 overall and the rest all coming in the second round or later.
Through trade: Versteeg, Sharp, Ladd, Eager
Through signing/UFA: Campbell, Hossa, Niemi, Madden, Huet

Pretty much the whole '10 team right there.
Point being, the team was not just built on a bunch of lottery picks. Very far from it, actually.
Ha, no there isn't much that we disagree on for this topic.

That being said, you admitted as much without the lottery picks you simply don't have a Stanley Cup winning team most likely, and the way the last couple of years have went they may not even have been a playoff team without Kane and Toews.

Not necessarily directed at you, but there are lots of people that take shots at Edmonton because they have been terrible, and I don't anyone will debate that.

My point is if the Oilers go on to win a cup, it's not going to be discounted at all because of all the lottery picks they have had in the past.

Success is often correlated with lottery picks, and it has been proven with teams like the Penguins, Hawks, Canucks, etc. None of these teams would be the same franchise witout Kane/Toews, Malkin/Sid/Fleury/Staal, or the Sedins.

The difference between them and the Oilers is the Oilers haven't been able to draft any stud D or acquire any big talent to help fill out the team.

Hopefully a lot of the D prospects we have will be able to develop and the Oilers can become a more well rounded team very soon.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:23 PM
  #97
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,129
vCash: 500
Well yeah, take away two very good players from nearly any Cup winner in history and they probably don't win that Cup in the first place.

But a team with (Norris form) Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjalmarsson, Sharp, Hossa, Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Bolland? Still a playoff team for sure - that roster was loaded and almost all of it was done outside the lottery.


I hope the Oilers can put it together. They're my favorite Canadian team and Rexall's a madhouse when Edmonton is playing good hockey.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:32 PM
  #98
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Well yeah, take away two very good players from nearly any Cup winner in history and they probably don't win that Cup in the first place.

But a team with (Norris form) Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjalmarsson, Sharp, Hossa, Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Bolland? Still a playoff team for sure - that roster was loaded and almost all of it was done outside the lottery.


I hope the Oilers can put it together. They're my favorite Canadian team and Rexall's a madhouse when Edmonton is playing good hockey.
Ya, I'm pretty impressed that at least the Oilers still sell out every game during the times when we have been the worst team in the league, but it just doesn't have the same atmosphere as when we were winning.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:35 AM
  #99
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Looks at how Chicago became a good team. (Through sucking since your hockey knowledge is a bit on the lacking side).
By solid trades, decent drafting in more then their three high lottery picks and even then one was a bust, and by actually paying money to bring talent in thru free agency."Sucking" as you put it, put them in position to actually take advantage of drafts and making the best possible picks when they had them as high as they did. Why yes, I thank the lucky stars that two teams passed on Toews and that in the only time in the Blackhawks history when they had the number one pick overall, they invested it in Patrick Kane. The Oilers, on the other hand, have had the pick of the litter for the last three years, taking the best availible forward and paying no attention to their obvious weakness on the blue line. Further putting them in a more realistic postion to be picking rather high next year in another draft so they can, finally address their weak defensive corps, and even then, its a question mark. The Oilers, in all their craptasticness as of late, are still playing catch up to the rest of the league in terms of team balance only because they have an obvious fascination with scoring goals upon goals while watching other teams score even more goals on them.

Now, my main debate, is of course, instead of trying to focus on one thing that even before this years draft, the Oilers will not have a problem doing with all of the offensive talent they have, scoring goals, they should have traded down and actually helped themselves in what might be their biggest need, and thats getting players who will help them on the blue line. Which, no matter what anybody says, is the only thing from keeping this team from actually becoming a playoff contender. And on that note, Johnny Toews isnt the answer for this team. He plays great defense, but from the looks of it, Eberle will be just as good, imo, of course. A team that is as horribad as the Oilers, shouldnt have one person who is off limits in actual trade proposals considering just how embarrassing they have been. It is the GM's job to fix this problem instead of being happy that his team picks first for three straight years and emassing so much talent that has gone nowhere. If somebody would actually trade a number one defenseman to this team and the price is an Eberle or Hall, you have to look in the mirror and see if that trade is exactly the trade to make this team better, potential be damned in leiu of actually making the playoffs. Thats the goal last time I checked.

And on that note, I actually like the Oilers and all of the talent they have. But if Stan Blowman was willing to pony up Duncan Keith and the price was Hall, you have to make that trade and not look back.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:28 AM
  #100
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
TSN's laughable ranking of Toews as the 3rd best player in the world a couple of years back has made his value seem pretty ridiculous on these boards. Chicago wouldn't trade him, but the Oil wouldn't trade Eberle either, so at best, this is a "no way in hell" from both sides.
The Oilers would easily trade Eberle if the right deal game along. They have holes on their roster that need filling. Sentimentalities and history of the player aside, Eberle is still small, not physical and is a pure scorer. They have Hemsky and more importantly Yakupov who looks amazing, who are more than capable of filling in on the top 2 lines. If a trade proposal comes along for a bigger, physical centre or defenseman, the Oilers do it. They still desperately need balance on their roster.

The first proposal for Toews is... nice albeit completely unrealistic in this, the real world. Would never happen from Chicago's perspective. I think Edmonton would do it in a second...

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Hartikainen-Toews-Hemsky

Beautiful looking top 6.


Last edited by Philly85: 10-28-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.