HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Graf G5s or RBK 9ks?

Old
10-21-2012, 04:00 PM
cis429
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Graf G5s or RBK 9ks?

Hi all -

I'd love some well-informed opinions about a critical decison (my next skates). I've skated on Graf 705's for the last 5 years but they are wearing out (a little earlier than I expected). I have Tuuk holders on them. I play 2-3 times a week. I have a buddy who is an equipment manager for a semi-pro team and has a pair of Graf 5Gs and a pair of RBK 9ks in my size. All they will cost me is a case of beer.

He lives out of state but will be in town in a couple days with them. The catch is I'll be able to try them on but will have to make a choice without skating in them. So since the price is right, I don't have much to risk picking a pair, but I'd certainly like to pick the right pair...

So I'd naturally lean toward Graf since my 705s fit so well. Famously with Grafs though, that took a good year to happen and I don't really want to break in another pair of skates with that much difficulty. I've heard a lot good things about the RBKs and the 9ks and G5 have similar fits, from what I've learned (I have wide feet). I'm a little leary of the RBK pump, namely that one will break at some point. While the pump may be an added bonus that shouldn't be a substitute for a good fit, that doesn't mean it won't suck having to skate with them after I'm used to using it. Also, I've heard that lace bit is a problem with them. I could swap tongues but I need to draw the line somewhere.

So assuming they both feel OK when I try them on, what do you all think? I'll likely throw my Tuuk runners on either pair, so that isn't really a factor (e.g. the pitch of Graf runners).

THANK YOU

cis429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I've used both Reebok and Graf G5's.
the G5's were the best pair of skates I've ever had until I bought the G75's.
I have wide feet and the G5's were a good fit for me. It didn't take much time breaking them in either.
But they aren't very stiff, which is a shame. That's the only con.
I used tuuks on my G5's and use tuuks on my G75's and it works great.

I would go with Grafs. It can't go wrong, if they fit your feet well.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Ive had the 9k and now the 11k and absolutely no breakin needed with either. Great skates.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I have the 11K's, love the tongues, love the pump, removed the lace lock system, had to change out the steel to step steel (there is very little steel on the stock Reebok steel) and changed the insoles. Great skates for my feet, very comfortable and the pump system gives me a chance to adjust how my skates feel each time I get to the bench. My theory is you'll know when you try them on if they're right for your feet so getting the chance to do that should tell you whether to stick to Graf's or change to Reeboks.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
BigDuke6

Just give him two cases of beer and take both pairs of skates.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:45 PM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
Just give him two cases of beer and take both pairs of skates.
That is probably the most intelligent thing posted so far.

I am partial to Reebok. I love being able to adjust my skates on the fly.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote