HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

What are you proud of?

Old
10-29-2012, 06:13 PM
jimmythescot

vCash: 500
What are you proud of?

I spend a lot of time reminiscing about the past. Usually bad stuff. Like when I drunkenly got locked out of my room at university and fell asleep in the girls toilets (next door) and threw up all over myself. Or when I was dragged to a gay bar by female friends and was hit on by a bunch of guys who I had to apologise to because they shouldn't have to worry if someone is gay or straight there.

Only occasionally do I remember things that make me think I'm a good person.

Like when I was working in a nightclub and spent a lot of time going to other nightclubs for 'team bonding'. So, one night a pair of girls who worked at the club went off to sit with a pair of guys in a booth. Not that unusual for one of them to do so and the other was fairly new at the time.

Anyway, didn't see them until the end of the night when we were waiting for taxis outside when the new girl, who I'm married to now, came over to say goodbye. She had trouble forming sentences and someone speculated that she might have been slipped something in her drink. She said the guys they were supposed to be going away with had given them drinks, but she'd thrown one away after a couple of sips as it tasted funny.

I looked around and saw the other girl was at the nearby bus stop with one of the guys kissing her passionately. His friend was nervously standing nearby. I went over and tapped the guy on the shoulder and said we were going to someone's house for a party and we'd see her later unless they wanted to come (so she'd have a chance to speak).

She seemed almost comatose, but hearing my voice her eyes opened wide. I'll never forget the look of fear on her face as she whispered 'Help me'. I dragged the guy off her and threw him against the nearby bin and told him something along the lines of 'Better not see you again or something something will happen'. I do regret not attempting to detain him but I hope he was too scared to try it again.

The girls slept for 15 hours or so at the aforementioned party.

So, story time?

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

I swam across the Niagara once

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

I have a long and illustrious history as a successful head coach at all levels of sport.

I went 5-7, 7-5, 8-4, 13-1, 10-3 and 10-1 as Duke's football coach over a 6 year span.

Given the state of the program before my arrival, I think I did a pretty good job of turning us around.

In addition, I have also been responsible in some way or form for:
  • Back to back NBA Championships with Charlotte Bobcats
  • Back to back World Series championships with Baltimore
  • Back to back NCAA Men's Basketball Championships with North Carolina
  • Winning the Super bowl 2 out of 3 years (and making it the other year before losing to the Jets) as the Redskins. They won 3 straight NFC Championships! 3!

I also coached the Capitals to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals, which remains to date the furthest I have ever coached a team in the NHL playoffs. That year, we came back from 3-1 down against New Jersey in the 2nd round, as well as swept Pittsburgh in the 1st round.

Many times, I'm asked what the secret to my success is. I tell them two things. It's about hard work, and teamwork. You must always work together as a team. I tell my players this all the time. We leave no man behind, everyone does their fair share, and we work together to achieve our goals.

Another valuable tenet of my teams is hard work. You'll never see a team as gritty or determined as those coached under my leadership. We never give in, we never give up. We came back from 3-1 against New Jersey because we had heart. We adopt basic defensive fundamentals and execute them to perfection. Duke's defense is consistently ranked #1 in the NCAA defensive metrics of "rushing yards allowed" and "Total defense". The Redskins had a dominating defense on their way to 3 straight NFC championships. Charlotte's defense was amongst the best in the NBA. Baltimore's pitching staff dominated the playoffs in back-to-back years.

As a leader, I always try to establish a solid foundation using those two principles. We have each other's back, and we play hard until the final whistle.

Last edited by Francesa: 10-29-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I once scored the game winning OT goal in the stanley cup finals game 7.

10-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

I got so good at football manager the FA offered me a job in the England setup. I took Woking from the Conference to the Champions league in 6 seasons, stuff like that doesn't go unnoticed.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I got so good at football manager the FA offered me a job in the England setup. I took Woking from the Conference to the Champions league in 6 seasons, stuff like that doesn't go unnoticed.
I completed football manager.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:46 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Made a bad thread on HFboards more than once.

/thread

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I won the Champions League with Arsenal over Chelsea 2-1.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:56 PM
ChiGuySez
2013 SC Champions

Effects of MSG in Ramen?

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
I spend a lot of time reminiscing about the past. Usually bad stuff. Like when I drunkenly got locked out of my room at university and fell asleep in the girls toilets (next door) and threw up all over myself. Or when I was dragged to a gay bar by female friends and was hit on by a bunch of guys who I had to apologise to because they shouldn't have to worry if someone is gay or straight there.

Like when I was working in a nightclub and spent a lot of time going to other nightclubs for 'team bonding'. So, one night a pair of girls who worked at the club went off to sit with a pair of guys in a booth. Not that unusual for one of them to do so and the other was fairly new at the time.

Anyway, didn't see them until the end of the night when we were waiting for taxis outside when the new girl, who I'm married to now, came over to say goodbye. She had trouble forming sentences and someone speculated that she might have been slipped something in her drink. She said the guys they were supposed to be going away with had given them drinks, but she'd thrown one away after a couple of sips as it tasted funny.

I looked around and saw the other girl was at the nearby bus stop with one of the guys kissing her passionately. His friend was nervously standing nearby. I went over and tapped the guy on the shoulder and said we were going to someone's house for a party and we'd see her later unless they wanted to come (so she'd have a chance to speak).

She seemed almost comatose, but hearing my voice her eyes opened wide. I'll never forget the look of fear on her face as she whispered 'Help me'. I dragged the guy off her and threw him against the nearby bin and told him something along the lines of 'Better not see you again or something something will happen'. I do regret not attempting to detain him but I hope he was too scared to try it again.

So, story time?

Old
10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:

So, story time?
First off, very cool thread idea.

Bolded part: What the **** is that? You apologized for being straight? You have as much of a right to be at a gay bar as they do going to a straight bar.

Back on topic.

When I was 12, my family went to Niagara Falls for vacation. I saw a little kid run into the street and I grabbed him right before a car was about to hit him. Parents who were too busy taking pictures didn't even thank me.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:14 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
First off, very cool thread idea.

Bolded part: What the **** is that? You apologized for being straight? You have as much of a right to be at a gay bar as they do going to a straight bar.

Back on topic.

When I was 12, my family went to Niagara Falls for vacation. I saw a little kid run into the street and I grabbed him right before a car was about to hit him. Parents who were too busy taking pictures didn't even thank me.
I remember being hit on by a few guys, but only remember actually apologising to one of them. I was young and drunk and he looked very hurt. If I'd had a few more I probably would have gone home with him out of sheer embarrassment.

As for your story, it's the kind of thing I was hoping for. You get very few chances to actually prove you'd actually do something in a situation like that. I always worried I'd be the sort to get halfway through saying "Someone really should be doing something about this" before the kid does a flip over the car.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:16 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

two ex-wives who hate me equally

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 152

10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
what is this pride you speak of

Marco Esquandolas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
Pfftt.... Bronze...

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:44 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
If I'd had a few more I probably would have gone home with him out of sheer embarrassment.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
My college degree

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
Pfftt.... Bronze...
That's the one they award in high school. Silver is for college I think and gold for university.

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

If it was one thing, it would be my work ethic. I can credit it for everything I have accomplished. I'm damn proud of that.

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Puck Farise

1) A kid (I'm guessing roughly 20 years old) in my roller hockey league 6 months ago jumped the ref from behind and started throwing punches at him when he was down. The ref had called a penalty on their team with like 2 mins to go in a 1 goal game. The guy who was called for the penalty got RIGHT in the refs face and started yelling at him, the ref shoved him in the chest to get out of his face, and the guy fell over. His teammate decided to jump the ~55 year old ref from behind. Moments after this happened, I threw my stuff off, grabbed the guy from the jersey and proceeded to throw hooks to his face until my hand broke. Once my hand broke I put the guy in a head lock and cut off his air. Had to get surgery on my hand as the bone healed crooked...but I stood up for the ref, so whatever.

2) I was on a NYC subway on Halloween last year coming back from work. There was a (hot) girl sitting next to me (kinda irrelevant to the story) and right next to her was this 50-60 year old guy. For some reason the way he was moving his phone around made me look at what he was doing, and I saw he had the camera on. Looked across from him, and saw there was 2 girls...between 4-7 years old I'd say...dressed in like princess costumes with skirts sitting with their mom. Look back at the guy and notice he's now not looking at his phone, but it's still on camera and he's discretely snapping a whole bunch of pictures. I asked the mom "excuse me, is this guy with you? Do you know this man?", and she said no. I got up in the guys face and told him he was going to get off at the next stop or I was going to beat his ****ing ass. Not exactly proud of the way I went about it, as there was a few young kids around who heard me cursing at the guy, but overall it was a good thing to do. The guy got off the train.

So, aside from stories like that...I'm most proud of standing up for what's right in general, and not being a ******.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I found a toonie in my shoe today.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post
1) A kid (I'm guessing roughly 20 years old) in my roller hockey league 6 months ago jumped the ref from behind and started throwing punches at him when he was down. The ref had called a penalty on their team with like 2 mins to go in a 1 goal game. The guy who was called for the penalty got RIGHT in the refs face and started yelling at him, the ref shoved him in the chest to get out of his face, and the guy fell over. His teammate decided to jump the ~55 year old ref from behind. Moments after this happened, I threw my stuff off, grabbed the guy from the jersey and proceeded to throw hooks to his face until my hand broke. Once my hand broke I put the guy in a head lock and cut off his air. Had to get surgery on my hand as the bone healed crooked...but I stood up for the ref, so whatever.

2) I was on a NYC subway on Halloween last year coming back from work. There was a (hot) girl sitting next to me (kinda irrelevant to the story) and right next to her was this 50-60 year old guy. For some reason the way he was moving his phone around made me look at what he was doing, and I saw he had the camera on. Looked across from him, and saw there was 2 girls...between 4-7 years old I'd say...dressed in like princess costumes with skirts sitting with their mom. Look back at the guy and notice he's now not looking at his phone, but it's still on camera and he's discretely snapping a whole bunch of pictures. I asked the mom "excuse me, is this guy with you? Do you know this man?", and she said no. I got up in the guys face and told him he was going to get off at the next stop or I was going to beat his ****ing ass. Not exactly proud of the way I went about it, as there was a few young kids around who heard me cursing at the guy, but overall it was a good thing to do. The guy got off the train.

So, aside from stories like that...I'm most proud of standing up for what's right in general, and not being a ******.
Always nice to hear stories like this; good work.

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm proud of the fact that I can delete all of your posts if I wanted

Oh and I can benchpress a lot. That's pretty cool.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Orr123

I'm proud of my kids, of the job I have, of the fact I've run a few triathlons and half marathons.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote