Notices

2012 CBA Discussion III (Lockout Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=Scotto74;55463367]don't forget that the owners wanted to talk last year and the players said no. If they started talking a year ago we might now have hockey and that is on the players.

both sides suck.[/QUOTE]

True but I blame the owners more.

They SHOULD have started a long time ago. The players got bad advice from someone. It seems to me the players want to play and the owners are dug in more. Who knows.

I am bored and angry.

11-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

vCash: 500
I remember hearing the players didn't want to start negotiating until the season was over.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:49 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

And I imagine we've seen the last of HBO 24/7

Old
hoss75

It's official .. WC cancelled. This stinks....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...celed/1677529/

Edit: Up no... just looks official... not really official.

Old
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
I remember hearing the players didn't want to start negotiating until the season was over.
In fact they were quite explicit about it.

In fact the players did offer to play during negotiations, but the reason that can't happen is because of the 1994 player's strike that prevented a World Series from happening, because players playing without a CBA used that fact to hold the playoffs hostage and the MLB owners realized that letting them win meant that that tactic would be considered successful. Ever since then, no CBA = lockout.

Oh, and the leader of that strike that killed a playoffs? One Don Fehr. We already KNOW what he'll do if given the chance because he's DONE it before. No way I blame the owners for not walking right into a punch.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

In fact the players did offer to play during negotiations, but the reason that can't happen is because of the 1994 player's strike that prevented a World Series from happening, because players playing without a CBA used that fact to hold the playoffs hostage and the MLB owners realized that letting them win meant that that tactic would be considered successful. Ever since then, no CBA = lockout.

Oh, and the leader of that strike that killed a playoffs? One Don Fehr. We already KNOW what he'll do if given the chance because he's DONE it before. No way I blame the owners for not walking right into a punch.
Because of that, I don't think you will ever see a player strike again. Owners will lock them out before they have a chance to strike.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:56 PM
hoss75

Quote:

That was Fehr!?!?! Did not know that. Thanks for the info. I knew the owners didn't want to risk a strike, but this is a whole different level of risk.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Shaun
beauty

the only person I hate more than Fehr in this is that **** face Allan Walsh

Old
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Morris Wanchuk

The more this drags on, the more I worry that Fehr is going to let the season get cancelled then pull the cap off the table.

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see that ego maniac agreeing to a cap, ever.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
the only person I hate more than Fehr in this is that **** face Allan Walsh
I'll remind you that Fehr was hired by the PA. Just like Bettman has been elected and re-elected by the owners. These guys are figureheads serving at the pleasure of their clients. The blame here falls squarely on the clients, and the extent to which you want to blame one leader you can certainly find equal blame for the other.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
It's official .. WC cancelled. This stinks....

Edit: Up no... just looks official... not really official.
Pierre Lebron confirmed it. The NHL owners and Bettman are a disgrace.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:44 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
Meh, I don't blame Jacobs. There's little evidence that he's holding the league hostage other than the fact no one likes him.
With the Bruins at the bottom of the list of the profitability list, I'd be fighting tooth and nail, too.
.........are we even dealing in reality anymore?

The Bruins aren't profitable?

No evidence Jacobs is a major force for this on the owner's side?

I give up.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
EverettMike

Quote:

Yeah, exactly. If a sports union knows they are going to have to give up in a negotiations they only have time as leverage.

This is why the last MLB negotiations went so smoothly, no one really had to give anything up.

If the owners were going to be giving money back this time, they would never have negotiated last year either.

It sucks, yeah, but it all makes sense.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

turn out the lights, the party's over..............

Old
11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
.........are we even dealing in reality anymore?

The Bruins aren't profitable?

No evidence Jacobs is a major force for this on the owner's side?

I give up.
No one said the Bruins aren't profitable and there is no evidence that Jacobs is the ring leader.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Beginning to think Donald Fehr is the one who is prolonging this entire thing

I am Boston Strong

Old
11-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Montecristo

The teams that are hurting financially are teams in terrible hockey markets. Phoenix, florida, Nashville?? What were the owners thinking putting teams there to begin with, it's their problem that their teams aren't making money, they should move everyone north. Seattle, Milwaukee, even hartford. All those teams would do better then these southern teams. The bruins make 20 million a year on average, and Toronto..125 million. If they want teams in the south then these rich teams should shell out the dough. That's not the players issue to be squabbling over. I think fehr is obviously not helping things based on his reputation but we're talking about 1-3 percentage points that is going to kill the season. That's a joke. The players came down from the last CBA, the owners refuse until they come down even more

Old
11-02-2012, 03:09 PM
the negotiator

After years of reading this board today's events have driven me to join the discussion.

First-a quick intro; long-time Bs fan (back to the days of Orr and Espo), STH and lots of big-company negotiations experience-hence the board name.

When I read the statements (posturing) of both sides it strikes me that both are very skilled at making their points, using the "facts" to their best advantage and leveraging the media to get their story out.

What strikes me is that both have lost site of rule number one in negotiations-keep your eye on the prize; which to simple-minded me is to gain as much as you can then settle before you sacrifice the season, the fan base and your reputation in the media. I don't know who the hard-line owners are (although we can guess at least a couple), nor do I know how strongly aligned the players are with Donald Fehr. I do know that the negotiations appear to have gotten personal and today...for the first time since the lock-out started...I believe there may be no season at all.

The saddest part-although I bleed the proverbial black and gold- it is getting to the point where i don't care. And that should concern the owners and players much more than who wins the final 1-3% of the dollar negotiations.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
EverettMike

Not sure if anyone has had better, more level-headed articles about this lockout than LeBrun.

His piece on cancelling the Classic today eased (a small iota) my "this-is-the-end-of-the-season" mentality.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Don Fehr:"The NHL’s decision to cancel the Winter Classic is unnecessary and unfortunate...

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
... as was the owners’ implementation of the lockout itself. "

Old
11-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Morris Wanchuk

"The NHL's decision to cancel the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic is unnecessary and unfortunate, as was the owners' implementation of the lockout itself," NHL Players' Association executive director Donald Fehr said. "The fact that the season has not started is a result of a unilateral decision by the owners; the players have always been ready to play while continuing to negotiate in good faith. We look forward to the league's return to the bargaining table, so that the parties can find a way to end the lockout at the earliest possible date, and get the game back on the ice for the fans."

Old
11-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Ratty

Does that mean I have to become a basketball fan?...yeach!

Old
11-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes

Brad Richards on Winter Classic: "I don't know why that needs to be canceled. You can play it in February. The stadium's not going anywhere"

Old
11-02-2012, 04:42 PM
DarrenBanks56

fehr is the reason i havent watched or gone to an mlb game since 1994.
i knew when i heard his name involved in this crap it was bad news.
too bad.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Anyone else not really care about the WC ?

It is selfish but the B's aren't playing in it and they can re-schedule it for a time in the future.

I do care about the season...

Closed Thread