Notices

2012 CBA Discussion III (Lockout Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 11:08 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
all you that aren't excited and angry let me know if you want to sell your tickets- got a bunch of buddies who are excited and will pay season ticket prices.

How anyone can get emotional over this is beyond me. It's business

Hopefully many Bruins fans leave forever and we can get back to no lines in that place be it parking, concessions, and bathrooms...this popularity has got to go

Old
11-05-2012, 11:11 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
all you that aren't excited and angry let me know if you want to sell your tickets- got a bunch of buddies who are excited and will pay season ticket prices.

How anyone can get emotional over this is beyond me. It's business

Hopefully many Bruins fans leave forever and we can get back to no lines in that place be it parking, concessions, and bathrooms...this popularity has got to go
It is a business for them.

Not for fans.

When fans start treating sports as a business too, professional sports will stop existing.

Sure, I understand how and why this happened, but it doesn't mean it should have happened. Hell, I don't even take it personally. I don't think they did this to me. But **** if they didn't do it in spite of me.

They can take their business and do as they please. Just like I plan on taking my dollars and doing as I please.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:12 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I get what you're saying, and I'd love to be able to say that too, but I know damn well that I'll be standing straight at attention if the NHL is back on
+1. I can't wait for hockey to come back.

Sports is a business and every time we're reminded of it it stings a little. But once you go through a bunch of these, at least for me, the sting is less. I don't hold these guys to ideals I used to when I was a kid, and I don't root for players I root for laundry. Further, only a few players have opened their mouths and made ***** of themselves so I'm not ready to condemn the whole lot, who remain poorly-fairly educated athletes whose entire focus is on being better hockey players, not learning CBA details.

So end of the day, just play. Oh, and be good too.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Sadly, as soon as they announce a season start date, I'm going to shell out for GameCenter Live. I should withhold my money from them in protest of this lockout, but I want my Bruins.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I'm so disgusted by this lockout that I am not even really excited about them coming back.
Someone please check to see if Hell has frozen over.

For the first time in history, I'm in complete agreement with an EverettMike post.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there
Old
bp13

Quote:

Not for fans.

When fans start treating sports as a business too, professional sports will stop existing.

Sure, I understand how and why this happened, but it doesn't mean it should have happened. Hell, I don't even take it personally. I don't think they did this to me. But **** if they didn't do it in spite of me.

They can take their business and do as they please. Just like I plan on taking my dollars and doing as I please.
Mike I think you're underestimating the number of fans who completely accept that this is a business. Hell, how long did it take after 2004-2005 for folks to come back.

The lockouts suck and some of these guys are idiots, but nothing in all of sports will ever be better than an NHL playoff game. I just want as many of them as I can have in a lifetime and I'll be happy.

Old
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 698
Quote:

Not for fans.

They already have my dollars.

At least if the B's make the playoffs I won't have to worry where to get the $$$ from...They owe me.

Mike, I hope you reconsider and come to a few games. I am convinced you are good luck for the b's...Plus you are such a passionate fan and I would miss you .

11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
all you that aren't excited and angry let me know if you want to sell your tickets- got a bunch of buddies who are excited and will pay season ticket prices.)
Let me get back to you on that...have to see what the market opens at

11-05-2012, 11:19 AM
BergyMeister
Overpaid Grinder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch View Post
Let me get back to you on that...have to see what the market opens at
Damn capitalist!!

Old
11-05-2012, 11:21 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
Someone please check to see if Hell has frozen over.

For the first time in history, I'm in complete agreement with an EverettMike post.
Not true. We agree often. We just disagree violently sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Mike I think you're underestimating the number of fans who completely accept that this is a business. Hell, how long did it take after 2004-2005 for folks to come back.

The lockouts suck and some of these guys are idiots, but nothing in all of sports will ever be better than an NHL playoff game. I just want as many of them as I can have in a lifetime and I'll be happy.
I'm just talking about myself. Yeah, the fans will come back. Although, I don't think it will be like after 04. I think many fans knew the league was dying and it made sense, even though it sucked. This was self-inflicted.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:40 AM
bme44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
Sadly, as soon as they announce a season start date, I'm going to shell out for GameCenter Live. I should withhold my money from them in protest of this lockout, but I want my Bruins.
It is NHL center ice here and I will gladly part with the money to be able to watch the Bruins the 50% of the time I am here. I am cetainly missing the Bruins how many episodes of storage wars can one man watch

Old
11-05-2012, 11:44 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Not getting excited over any of this.
Good news everyone! This means the deal will be done this week!

Old
11-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Shaun

I'm fiending for a fix badly. I can't wait for it to be back

Old
11-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
I'm so disgusted by this lockout that I am not even really excited about them coming back.
I'm with you on this 100%.

Totally!

On the other hand...I can't wait for NHL hockey!!!!!

The real kicker is they could have settled months ago and not missed a single game.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme44 View Post
It is NHL center ice here and I will gladly part with the money to be able to watch the Bruins the 50% of the time I am here. I am cetainly missing the Bruins how many episodes of storage wars can one man watch
I used to do Center Ice, but these days I have more need to be mobile, so I'm getting the streaming service this time.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:00 PM
BergyMeister
Overpaid Grinder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
I used to do Center Ice, but these days I have more need to be mobile, so I'm getting the streaming service this time.
my cable company doesn't do CI in hd. So I don't bother. How is the quality of the streaming service?

Old
11-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Fierce1

My only beef is that the NHL plays the lockout card too easily. The fans complain about being taken for granted and not having a voice during the lockout, well when the season is back on it would be the time to make a statement. I love the game and won't walk away but at least I'll do some kind of temporary personal boycott. I don't live in an NHL city so cancelling my Center Ice package for a couple of months and not buying any NHL stuff will be my sacrifice. If the fans come back like they did in 2004-2005 lockout Gary will do this to us again in 6 or 8 years.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
my cable company doesn't do CI in hd. So I don't bother. How is the quality of the streaming service?
I'll let you know when the season starts. They do say the streams are in HD wherever available. Keep in mind of course that you'd probably be blacked out on the Bruins since you're in their broadcast area.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
I just don't want to set myself up to be disappointed again.When a deal is reached then I'll be excited somewhat.

I am Boston Strong

Old
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
DKH

atleast we know Jacobs is not behind this and is getting pretty antsy; guess being 70 something with health concerns makes every season important

the funniest stuff read on this board is he's behind this

Old
11-05-2012, 02:00 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I just don't want to set myself up to be disappointed again.When a deal is reached then I'll be excited somewhat.
be positive young grasshopper...before you know it you'll be seeing the great Dougie Hamilton coming to a rink near you

Old
11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
RussellmaniaKW

so does anyone know what happens to Center Ice subs if they come back with a shortened season? I have DTV and I'm pretty sure I got a letter a while ago saying that my subscription to CI would auto-renew once the NHL officially announces a season, but I don't recall if it said anything about pro-rating the sub. There's no way I'm paying full-price for a shortened season so i'm trying to figure out if I need to cancel it soon.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
going back further and further we always have more and more factors that go into this. if we do an indepth look at any one particular situation, we might find a new tv deal or a new merchandising deal took place... or some huge subsidy from the goverment. Of course, the situation for the NHL immediately before this past cba was horrific. the new cba didnt fix the problem enough but it fixed it some. so its not a surprise that values of teams were at a low right at the start of this new cba and a jump in value of some teams can be attributed to this cba.

but then as my list shows... the value rise took place immediately and then stopped.

whatever the reason that the rise happens... it only gets realized if there is an actual sale. otherwise we can say the numbers on paper are whatever they are. These teams are hard to figure out because they are tied to arenas and to media and consessions and naming rights and parking and all sort of other things. Some of this stuff should be included because... that's the way it is. It will continue to be that way. Some other stuff is one time only benefits or costs... is not going to continue into the future...

overall though i will stand my my assessment of valuation for bottom feeder teams if the cba were to continue at a 57% clip without some siginificant changes in the revenue sharing between owners or something else of that sort. the bottom teams are all having massive annual loses and they are getting worst. all the bottom team owners are claiming loses that are astronomical. they are all selling their teams as fast as they can and/or scrambling for investors. and now, they are supporting a lockout. these are all signs that things are not good.
The "bottom feeder teams" at the start of the last cba ( the lowest 5 franchises in value) were Calgary, Nashville, pittsburg, Atlanta and Washington.
Calgary went from 135 to 220mil
Nashville went from 134 to 163 mil
Pitt went from being valued at 133 to 264 mil
Atlanta went from 128 to being sold for 170 and currently valued at 164mil
Washington went from 127 to 225mil

The last CBA has been very good to the bottom feeders.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:56 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

*Yawn* *Stretch*

Wake me when they sign a deal.

Otherwise don't bother me.

*Goes back to sleep*

Old
11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
WickedBruinsGirl
I like the remix

As a hockey fan, I'm restraining myself from getting overly hopeful.

As someone who works near the Garden and knows a lot of people in the area who just realized losing October was a hit (restaurant owners are getting hit the most - their bills and expenses mostly stay the same), I'm excited for them because it will relieve a ton of stress no matter when the season starts.

I'll buy DKH a beer when he's right.