HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs [10-15-3] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 12:23 PM
domdo345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
My french is lousy, but I'm taking that to mean there was no internal bleeding inside his skull?
Nah it means that because there was a fracture, the internal bleeding did not build pressure in his brain or something like that.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:26 PM
penopekoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
just asked gf about it (she's in med school) and said it was not that dangerous, and said that if it was ''un hématome en dessous du crâne sans fracture'' the pressure would be building up and it would have been much worst. Kinda strange but logic at the same time.
If he's spending the night in the ICU, then it's a pretty serious injury. A subdural hematoma is worse if it isn't evacuated promptly, but it still is a dangerous and potentially debilitating injury. This actually sounds as bad if not worse than the pacioretty incident.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo View Post
If he's spending the night in the ICU, then it's a pretty serious injury. A subdural hematoma is worse if it isn't evacuated promptly, but it still is a dangerous and potentially debilitating injury. This actually sounds as bad if not worse than the pacioretty incident.
yeah I used a poor choice of words trying to traduce from french to english, I really meant not as dangerous as if there had been no fracture. In other words, it's bad, but it would have been alot more dangerous if no fracture.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Was it really from hitting the ice? It looked like Coté's skate cut him. That's what it looked like from the whites anyways.
I'm pretty sure that he gets Côté's skate to the side of the face on the follow-up, but it doesn't look that violent.

What bothers me about this hit is the speed at which Côté's coming. He had to take a few strides to generate that kind of velocity. The replays don't show anything though. But I agree with Whitesnake, I really HATE this expression, but Geoffrion wasn't looking up. He needs to be more careful.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Coté's hit was just fine. Honestly, this is where every player needs to be accountable but not only the players that hits. Côté was coming from a mile and it was clear he was coming towards him IF Geoffrion would have had his head up. But he kept having it down all the way. Hockey has to remain physical. And I,m sorry, but while I love people standing up for others, there's nothing more stupid that I find that people wanting to fight others who just made legal hits. All great that Tinordi looked fine against Gudas, but Gudas hit was also really legal. And this is going in the NHL as well. So if you are a player who just hits hard but aren't a fighter, like Subban, you'll have to go and fight because you hit a guy legally? Where is the time when you took the guy's number and hit him just as legally hard after instead of having to fight? I mean, go ahead and if a guy hits your star player or any player on the back, drop the gloves, no fax, and club the guy. But legal hits? Come on....be a man, take a number, and get him next time. I understand though that in Tinordi's case, it might have been one too many. We were getting hit hard, and I guess we had to show up. Great to see that from a rookie. But if it was solely for the hit, I don't buy this and are tired of it. This is the freakin some of the Bruins fans mentality. If Subban can't fight, he shouldn't hit hard......are we that stupid?
I agree with this completely, it's always hard to watch that happen to one of your players but hits like that are part of the game. To me hard hits, especially clean ones, are the best kind of intimidation.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:49 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Let's hope for a speedy recovery and hope that he gets stronger. Maybe he can be like Patches.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Another tough night for the Dogs as the offense really struggled again. But growing pains are to be expected, getting back Desjardins should be huge although Mayer is playing way better then he did last year other then the insane hot streak he went on for a couple weeks.

If Leblanc is back 2 weeks that should also be a big boost, but either way if the lockout remains in place for the season it's likely going to be a tough season but that could pay big dividends down the road when several of these guys are in the NHL.

Wonder if they will call anyone up, maybe Fortier to replace Geoffrion. The next game is the school day game at 10 am. If it's anything like the 1st one last year, get ready to hear a ton of screaming!

Old
11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Roulin

A very crude quality of competition project: even strength goals (both for and against) that Bulldogs have been on the ice for in the first 10 games, against opponents I subjectively singled out as their respective team's top player (Nyquist, Gardiner, Hodgson, Baertschi, Conacher).

Holland 7
Geoffrion 5
Blunden 5
Gallagher 5
Quailer 4
Dumont 4
Bournival 4
Palushaj 3
Boyce 3
Nattinen 2

St Denis 7
Pateryn 6
Tinordi 6
Beaulieu 3
Corbin 3
Nash 2
Ellis 1

Old
11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
When most of us were groaning about signing Stortini,there were a few defending the move. Where'd they go?
Yeah, I liked the signing. I thought he was pretty useful with Edmonton. I hadn't seen him play with Milwaukee. I didn't think he'd lose so much, going from the NHL to the AHL. Hopefully he gets some of it back as the season goes along.

But, as little as Stortini has contributed, he has beat out Hagel and Schultz on the depth chart. So us few haven't been completely wrong.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Allaboard

The problem with the above is, if I was a coach there are some players I wouldn't put on the ice against these top guys.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
The problem with the above is, if I was a coach there are some players I wouldn't put on the ice against these top guys.
That's the point. I'm just trying to sort out which players Lefebvre has chosen to put on the ice against stars.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
A very crude quality of competition project: even strength goals (both for and against) that Bulldogs have been on the ice for in the first 10 games, against opponents I subjectively singled out as their respective team's top player (Nyquist, Gardiner, Hodgson, Baertschi, Conacher).

Holland 7
Geoffrion 5
Blunden 5
Gallagher 5
Quailer 4
Dumont 4
Bournival 4
Palushaj 3
Boyce 3
Nattinen 2

St Denis 7
Pateryn 6
Tinordi 6
Beaulieu 3
Corbin 3
Nash 2
Ellis 1
That's a good idea, I've been keeping track of line usage in my head while watching but its better to do it with recorded events (memory isn't reliable).

I think the top 3 lines have generally equally trusted on defense but the blueline gets specialized usage. Tinordi-Pateryn/Ellis is used as the primary defensive unit while St. Denis gets the most minutes in general as the team's clear number 1.

You'd also want to keep track of total ES scoring events to get a better idea how it relates to ice time. Non EN scoring events are as follows:

FSD: 22, 2.2 per game
Beaulieu: 15, 1.5 per game
Tinordi: 15, 1.5 per game
Pateryn: 11, 1.57 per game
Corbin: 9, 1.125
Ellis: 7, 1 per game
Nash: 5, .625 per game

Its a flawed measurement, but it jives with the eye test on who is playing the most minutes. FSD clearly playing the most while Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu have been in the top 4 when healthy.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I've been praising Gallagher since the beginning of the season, but last night, I really saw why he's so adored by scouts and analysts. Whenever he's on the ice, something's happening. He never gives up on a play and he drives the net like a madman. I'm really impressed.

The Geoffrion stuff was really hard to watch and the fact that he's in intensive care this morning makes it even worse. I hope he gets better fast and suffers no long term damage from the hit.

Tinordi pulled some more unexpected moves! He's a lot more agile and he's much better at carrying the puck than I expected him to be. I keep saying that game after game, but I still can't believe it. I mean, it's not amazing by any means, but I see a lot of potential in him. I just wish he could develop a big, booming shot.

Otherwise, it really wasn't a great game. Two in a row. The Crunch are a very good team though, and they have a lot of AHL veterans. The Dogs are still playing without Desjardins, Leblanc and without their top scorer for most of the game.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:30 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Coté's hit was just fine. Honestly, this is where every player needs to be accountable but not only the players that hits. Côté was coming from a mile and it was clear he was coming towards him IF Geoffrion would have had his head up. But he kept having it down all the way. Hockey has to remain physical. And I,m sorry, but while I love people standing up for others, there's nothing more stupid that I find that people wanting to fight others who just made legal hits. All great that Tinordi looked fine against Gudas, but Gudas hit was also really legal. And this is going in the NHL as well. So if you are a player who just hits hard but aren't a fighter, like Subban, you'll have to go and fight because you hit a guy legally? Where is the time when you took the guy's number and hit him just as legally hard after instead of having to fight? I mean, go ahead and if a guy hits your star player or any player on the back, drop the gloves, no fax, and club the guy. But legal hits? Come on....be a man, take a number, and get him next time. I understand though that in Tinordi's case, it might have been one too many. We were getting hit hard, and I guess we had to show up. Great to see that from a rookie. But if it was solely for the hit, I don't buy this and are tired of it. This is the freakin some of the Bruins fans mentality. If Subban can't fight, he shouldn't hit hard......are we that stupid?
I was at the game and Tinordi was pretty pissed since half the 1st period. Like you said, it was one too many.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Teamwork

For some reason Gallagher reminds me of good ol' Oleg Petrov

Old
11-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Gallagher needs to get faster. He has good tools, but I dont see him being a top six forward unless his top speed improves a good deal. His puck skills are also not top notch. They are solid, but his real strength lies in his fearlessness. He has a good release and good positioning, but against big defenders he has to be able to blow by them because he gets smashed down low.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:53 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
For some reason Gallagher reminds me of good ol' Oleg Petrov
Weird. I don't see this at at. Both are hard woking players, but Petrov was all about speed and puck possession, while Gallagher has quick hands in front of the net and is able to pay the price to score ugly/rebound goals. Some kind of Cammalleri and Gionta mix.

His speed, considering how small and weak physically he is, is indeed worrying. I could clearly see him becoming usefull on the PP at the NHL level, but I don't know how efficient he's gonna be 5 on 5, both offensively and defensively. Though he seems to have great work ethic and attitude, so you never know.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:06 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 140
Wow sucks to hear about Geoffrion. Get well soon! It sounds pretty serious, he's still in ICU but in stable condition now thankfully.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 11-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 04:16 PM
HabsPassion

Yup, Mods the least we can do is give him the respect he deserves and let him have his own "Get Well Soon" thread.

On a side note, I hate to bring this discussion up again and Keep in mind that I am in no way blaming Blake, but if he was wearing a full cage, and not a visor, he would likely not be injured and not be in the ICU right now..

From someone who just recently graduated from using my full cage, I think after this injury I will be removing my visor and resorting back to my full cage. To be honest, there is not much of a difference, you gain a little more in peripheral view and a slight gain in clarity, but is it worth the risk? For me, not in my opinion. However, players who believe likewise in today's NHL are likely being socially pressured to wear a visor.

Once again, My thoughts are with the Geoffrion's in this tough time. I'm sure he will be okay, he is a fighter just like his great-grandfather and grandfather were.

Last edited by HabsPassion: 11-10-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Habbadasher

I was told that any skull fracture means brain damage, I hope he is able to resume a reasonably normal life.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:36 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

As someone who survived a fractured skull, blod clot in the brain, and an aneurysm I can tell you that these kinds of injuries take a long time to recover from...Internal hemoraging is the biggest concern. My prayers are with him and his family. There is no player I wanted to see in le Tricolore this year more than the descendant of a Canadiens legacy...it may take time but I hope Mr. Geoffrion recovers to add his name to the glory.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:17 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

The refs sucked so bad yesterday, it was pathetic.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Rangers fan here, I just saw the hit on Geoffrion..my goodness. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Always a fan of his, was a lot of fun to watch him play for Wisconsin. Horrible to see an injury of that magnitude.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Treb

I hope Pacioretty will go see him. He needs someone that got a severe injury and got out of it stronger.

You can do it Blake!

Old
11-10-2012, 07:04 PM
OneSharpMarble

They always seem to get it right when they are finding their groove/turning their game around. Terrible luck.

Closed Thread