HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Davidson is leaving the Blues

Old
09-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Stang

vCash: 500
John Davidson is leaving the Blues

Jeremy Rutherford
John Davidson has reached an agreement to part ways with the Blues. More soon on Stltoday.com.
just now from Twitter for Android

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:19 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Jeremy Rutherford
John Davidson has reached an agreement to part ways with the Blues. More soon on Stltoday.com.
just now from Twitter for Android
Hmm, is he going to Columbus? The Davidson thing died down for quite some time so I haven't kept track on if he had talked with any other organizations. Good luck JD and thanks for everything you've done for STL.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
The Note
Expectations: Low

He really did a great job turning this thing around, but it seems like Army runs the show pretty much now. Good luck JD

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:10 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
I think most of us saw this coming. JD did a great job here and I cant thank him enough, good luck JD!

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Alklha

The only surprise is that it has taken this long to become official. He done a great job, good luck wherever he lands next.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
TheStroker

Best of luck in his future endeavors.

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:19 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Good luck JD. He did a wonderful job turning the Blues around both financially and competitively. Blues fans owe quite a bit of gratitude to him.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

Please,Please, Please....... Go back to announcing. I cannot stand eddie olczyk.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Gullibull

I'm surprised to see JD go. Though, I haven't been able to keep up with the whole management situation. He's provided so much for the Blues, I just don't see why a businessman of his caliber wouldn't be retained... unless he decided to part ways.

Gullibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:51 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullibull View Post
I'm surprised to see JD go. Though, I haven't been able to keep up with the whole management situation. He's provided so much for the Blues, I just don't see why a businessman of his caliber wouldn't be retained... unless he decided to part ways.
With the lock-out there is no revenue coming in. I've heard that JD's contract was worth $6 million. (I don't know if that is total or per year.) Many teams are laying off employees, or reducing them to four days a week and 20% less pay.

JD brought instant credibility to the franchise at a time when it needed some. He successfully sold a 5 year rebuild to a fanbase that wasn't used to long term planning. He was the face of the franchise in media for a few seasons. But as the team has improved, there has been less and less need for JD. While he is a quality hockey mind, I'm not sure how in line with the rest of the front office his salary was.

I'm grateful, and wish him the best.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
With the lock-out there is no revenue coming in. I've heard that JD's contract was worth $6 million. (I don't know if that is total or per year.) Many teams are laying off employees, or reducing them to four days a week and 20% less pay.

JD brought instant credibility to the franchise at a time when it needed some. He successfully sold a 5 year rebuild to a fanbase that wasn't used to long term planning. He was the face of the franchise in media for a few seasons. But as the team has improved, there has been less and less need for JD. While he is a quality hockey mind, I'm not sure how in line with the rest of the front office his salary was.

I'm grateful, and wish him the best.
I've read that it was $2 Million per year for 3 years. The talk is that with Doug Armstrong doing a great job as GM, and more of the public interface work being handled by Stillman and Armstrong than before, and The Blues now very good on the ice, JD's functions are mostly duplicated. The Blues can better use that $2 per year, elsewhere. In addition, I think Stillman wants more control than he had when Checketts was top guy, so sharing some of that with Davidson limits that goal.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:29 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
We definitely saw his role reduced when Army came in. Hopefully he finds something else quickly. Thanks and good luck JD.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:57 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm really not sure how much of JD's role was reduced, except that Armstrong became the public voice of the team, whereas Pleau benefited from JD doing that. I always had the impression that most fans had little idea what JD's job really entails.

That said, I am pretty comfortable with the direction this team is going.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Oshie97

Well we all knew it was coming, that contract Checketts gave him was way too much. Wonder what the buyout was. Good luck JD wherever you go.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:02 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I've read that it was $2 Million per year for 3 years. The talk is that with Doug Armstrong doing a great job as GM, and more of the public interface work being handled by Stillman and Armstrong than before, and The Blues now very good on the ice, JD's functions are mostly duplicated. The Blues can better use that $2 per year, elsewhere. In addition, I think Stillman wants more control than he had when Checketts was top guy, so sharing some of that with Davidson limits that goal.
Ahh, I wasn't sure but I guess $6 M total was the number. I'm not sure how much the buyout was for, but any money saved can help but the Blues on more stable financial footing.

Replacing Pleau as the voice of the front office was helpful in selling the rebuild, but with Armstrong in charge and the Blues having success on ice, JD simply isn't as needed as when he was hired.

Even if JD was nothing more than a pitchman for the Blues, he certainly earned his keep and was much needed at the time.

As you said, Stillman and Armstong have mostly taken over JD's old duties, so being able to save that money and use it else where is very beneficial for the Blues.

JD is a very personable fellow though, and I wish he could remain with the franchise long term. I think he relates to the casual fan very well with his combination of passion and relaxed demeanor. To me he seems like the kind of person everyone wishes they had for an uncle.

Hopefully he comes back to retire here once he is done with his hockey related career. I'd love to hear him and Bobby chat it up on KMOX for an hour or three.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:51 PM
TerminatorBlue

I really liked JD, I doubt it will take long for him to find work elsewhere.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:54 AM
stlweir

JD did a great job. Checketts paid himself $1MM a year and JD's new contract was $2MM a year. That is a lot of dough that is now is trimmed from the expenses. I believe Stillman is paying himself $1.00. Thanks JD for everything. Hope he can come back and be in the parade when the Blues win the cup!

Last edited by stlweir: 10-06-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Correction
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:59 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
I have posted a new thread asking about the blues financially under JD and the reported losses that have happened on his watch.

As a hockey man he is second to none. However, if the blues over the past two or three years have lost as much money as reported as the head the business he may not find a job that quickly

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 12:32 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I have posted a new thread asking about the blues financially under JD and the reported losses that have happened on his watch.

As a hockey man he is second to none. However, if the blues over the past two or three years have lost as much money as reported as the head the business he may not find a job that quickly
No, he's done a fine job. They were hemorrhaging money, were the worst team in the league, and had lost the confidence of the fans by how the prior owner had dismantled the team in order to (as he thought) facilitate the sale. Attendance was horrid, and the team stank.

He oversaw some crucial hirings. There were multiple successful drafts, and a top notch scouting department under his helm. He brought in Doug Armstrong who has done a fantastic job (GM of the year). The team is competitive again (actually a legit contender in my opinion), the arena is full and the foundation looks to be in place for a long window of success. This is done with primarily home-grown talent and a team payroll near the salary cap floor (though it will rise as some of the young players get paid).

The tickets are still at the low end for the league, but they're rising slowly.

There are some unhelpful details with how the city is dealing with the Blues that is different with the Cardinals and Rams, that hurt the bottom line. Also, I'm sure if you factor in the other arena events and the opera house, the Blues ownership turns a profit, even if the team itself is in the red. But reports (vague on details) from ownership was that they were pretty close to the break even point, and that a few post-season games would probably be enough to do it. I haven't seen anything more specific than that since last year's post-season, so they may very well have done so. I'm not sure where you saw that they lost $20M but I suspect it may be in part an exaggerated way to report things to appeal to the collective bargaining dispute.

At any rate, Davidson is a treasure and a team like Columbus (or any struggling team) would do well to find a way to get him on board. He has a lot of hockey knowledge, has great league networking, and is an exemplary public spokesperson to the community. I hope if the Blues do win the Cup that they find a way to recognize JD's contribution through a gesture, even if he's no longer technically with the team.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:25 AM
ChicagoBlues

And going to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

link

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote