HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate II

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2013, 06:51 PM
crazyhockeylover96

vCash: 500
Anybody else having trouble getting to the Pirates' main web page?

Old
09-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

This is where the pirates will be playing this year so the fans in phoenix can get an idea.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:53 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Ultra View Post
This is where the pirates will be playing this year so the fans in phoenix can get an idea.

Jeez, how do the fans in Portland feel about having the team play in Lewiston.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
Jeez, how do the fans in Portland feel about having the team play in Lewiston.
from facebook, the mass majority are very upset. Not that they have to drive 45+ north to go to games but the area and arena are very sub-par. The city and arena could not handle a junior team and that was proven.

Androscoggin Bank Colisée only has 3,600 seats that was a very bad game in attendance in portland. The smallest arena in OHL has the same.

Most of the anger is towards the owner of the pirates, if it fits or not its still a very bad deal for phoenix players, coaches and scouts.

but im sure someone will disagree, just check facebook out for your self.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:17 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Can't play in a building that won't give you a lease

Old
09-29-2013, 12:14 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
from facebook, the mass majority are very upset. Not that they have to drive 45+ north to go to games but the area and arena are very sub-par. The city and arena could not handle a junior team and that was proven.

Androscoggin Bank Colisée only has 3,600 seats that was a very bad game in attendance in portland. The smallest arena in OHL has the same.

Most of the anger is towards the owner of the pirates, if it fits or not its still a very bad deal for phoenix players, coaches and scouts.

That's smaller than the CHL Sundogs' arena up in Prescott.

EDIT: ..... I just scanned the FB site comments. Most complaints at the Pirates are more about the longer drive to Lewistown than at the team itself. (now that sounds familiar.... ) There were plenty of complaints lobbed at the Civic Center board too.

Last edited by TheLegend: 09-29-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old
09-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Yikes! I've been to several Gladiators games and that rink completely humiliates those pictures.

Old
09-29-2013, 09:24 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates shutout in preseason action
By Staff Report Published: 29th September 2013

Quote:
The Portland Pirates will have an opportunity to start with a clean slate after wrapping up their exhibition season with a 3-0 loss to the Manchester Monarchs Sunday afternoon at Sullivan Arena in Goffstown, New Hampshire.

Link>>>>

Old
09-29-2013, 10:45 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

You are factually incorrect about the Colisee, and act like you're an expert, it's no where near 3600 seats, if you look it up it's between 3700 and 3800 seats, not 3600, and if you had listened to the audio text conference, Petrovek himself stated you can go over the stated capacity, just as we did @ the CCCC WHEN WE DREW SRO crowds of 7000 as high as 7300, where you could barely get a seat against Providence when that rivalry was at its peak.....

you were warned during Phase I, as Wildcat has told us over the past year, regardless of the renovations, the CCCC Capacity would've gone from 6736 to 6236, once the suites were finished, which was in the process as of mid-August in the NW Corner prior to the lease taking center stage, and the decision to leave Portland behind last week.

Old
09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
You are factually incorrect about the Colisee, and act like you're an expert, it's no where near 3600 seats, if you look it up it's between 3700 and 3800 seats, not 3600, and if you had listened to the audio text conference, Petrovek himself stated you can go over the stated capacity, just as we did @ the CCCC WHEN WE DREW SRO crowds of 7000 as high as 7300, where you could barely get a seat against Providence when that rivalry was at its peak.....

you were warned during Phase I, as Wildcat has told us over the past year, regardless of the renovations, the CCCC Capacity would've gone from 6736 to 6236, once the suites were finished, which was in the process as of mid-August in the NW Corner prior to the lease taking center stage, and the decision to leave Portland behind last week.

http://www.thecolisee.com/a_promoters.html
Quote:
The Androscoggin Bank Colisée is a 67,000 square foot multipurpose facility, seating approximately 3,682 for hockey
Yes you can throw some people in the aisleway for standing room however that is not seating. Much of this seating (3,682*) that brings them to this number are bench seats.

The Colisée is not a suitable arena for pro hockey in the year 2013.

The case was made often that the CCCC barely passed the standard of a pro arena that is why the renovations had to be made to keep a team. Cutting your seating by half and moving them to a facility half a century old with minor improvements is a joke.

(note i understand that a lease was hard to come to, but it needed to be done. If the move is meant to only be for this season (as it will be, one way or another) petro should not be blowing smoke screens and alienating his portland fanbase acting like pro hockey could work better in lew and staying is a real option )

Last edited by Swat Ultra: 09-30-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old
09-30-2013, 04:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
http://www.thecolisee.com/a_promoters.html

Yes you can throw some people in the aisleway for standing room however that is not seating. Much of this seating (3,682*) that brings them to this number are bench seats.

The Colisée is not a suitable arena for pro hockey in the year 2013.

The case was made often that the CCCC barely passed the standard of a pro arena that is why the renovations had to be made to keep a team. Cutting your seating by half and moving them to a facility half a century old with minor improvements is a joke.

(note i understand that a lease was hard to come to, but it needed to be done. If the move is meant to only be for this season (as it will be, one way or another) petro should not be blowing smoke screens and alienating his portland fanbase acting like pro hockey could work better in lew and staying is a real option )
not according to the AHL IT'S NOT, Swat, and it's 3732, not 3682, because that question was asked, but you choose to argue instead of being factually correct before posting.

Old
09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Not really sure what you are trying to argue.. the official site for the arena states clearly that it has seating of 3,682 for hockey. That seems like a pretty solid source.

Congrats on having hockey closer to home in a place that is full of history.

Old
09-30-2013, 10:22 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Not really sure what you are trying to argue.. the official site for the arena states clearly that it has seating of 3,682 for hockey. That seems like a pretty solid source.

Ron Cain's a more credible source than you are, Swat

Old
10-01-2013, 12:20 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Swat: The number of seats in the arena doesn’t really matter. Every city (franchise) has its own business model based numerous factors i.e. corporate support, sponsorships, group sales etc. Petrovek has stated numerous times publically that the Pirates’ model is based on 3,250 people per game. Lewiston will work fine for this season and even possibly next season. Is it a long-term solution? No, by no means is the Colisee a suitable long-term home in its current configuration. Does that mean that Lewiston couldn’t become of the Pirates for the long-term? No, the Pirates ownership along with Firland Management could work out a TIF financing package with the City of Lewiston and upgrade the Colisee adding seats, suites and club seating. They could work out a deal with the Civic Center trustees once the politicos come to their senses as stay in Portland or Ron Cain could dust off the plans for a brand new 5,000 seat arena on the site of MHG Ice Center off I-95.

Just a few points that I want to touch on…

I consider myself to be fairly education on this whole situation since I’ve been covering it since day one. I’ve been in trustees meetings, commissioners meetings and I’ve been at the courthouse for every proceeding and I’ve spent countless hours reading through each and every document that pertains this whole fiasco so I consider myself to be on top of the situation and with that said I think the first thing that folks have to do is remove the personalities from the situation because people want to form opinions based on whether they like/hate Petrovek and Neal Pratt. That’s irrelevant. We know Petro is not well like and we know people tend to carry a more favorable opinion of Pratt.

The bottom line is based on what I’ve read – and this is subject to opinion – the trustees backed out of a deal. Whether or not it was the final lease agreement the law doesn’t necessarily require a deal to “signed” to be binding. There are circumstances that point, but for the most part if the trustees voted on a set of deal points. They needed to abide by those deal points and they didn’t.

How? The 57.5% is a good place to start. Even if the State ruled the Pirates couldn’t earn alcohol sales the trustees already calculated a dollar amount the team would have earned. The trustees said the Pirates would earn $10K per game on the 57.5 percent F&B sales. Yet, in their counteroffer to make up the difference they suggested 65% F&B minus alcohol which came to $6600 per game. I, for one, don’t blame the Pirates for being pissed at that deal. That’s a shortfall, which the trustees never offered to make up, of $3400 per game, 130K over a season, 645K over the life of the 5yr lease and 1.3M over the total life of lease with the 5yr extension…. That’s a huge shortfall and any rightful business owner would be pissed if the party they were negotiating with pulled that BS.

The above ice advertising… Trustees and Pirates agree to 50% of above ice ad revenue, but when they go to put it on paper the trustees again renege – saying it was just bullet points – and that sub-naming rights for the suites and club seats don’t count and put a bunch of stipulations into the contract that cut that 50% down to about 35% when you take in total net dollars. Again, using the trustees own numbers, the Pirates were set to lose about 150K per season. That’s ridiculous.

Those are the two big examples….

Here’s the bigger issue. The Civic Center trustees are a bunch of dinosaurs with 1970’s-80’s thinking and that at the end of the day is going to force that building into ground and cost taxpayers a boatload of money.

Trustees assume by letting the Pirates walk that they’ll be able to get another hockey team in the arena. That’s simply not the case. ECHL isn’t coming here, CHL and SPHL don’t even have a northeast footprint and the FHL is going to be dead in six months if not sooner. Indoor football won’t work because of the height of the ceiling and indoor lacrosse or soccer won’t bring a draw that’s needed.
When that argument is raised with them, they’ll say that’s fine we can get plenty of concerts here to make up for the Pirates. You know as well as I do that’s not true – renovated Civic Center or not – the market has been passed by with Manchester/Gilford to the south and Bangor to the north. They’ll shift gears again to avoid blame and make the argument that the CCCC made more money in 1992 when the Mariners left and proceed to list a bunch of acts that haven’t tour in 20 years.

The trustees are the most inept group of politicos that I’ve ever seen. They contend that civic center is a multi-purpose arena and they can make it work with boat shows and home shows… REALLY? What the hell are they building suites? Stop! Save money by stopping the renovation now.

My final point is about the area around the civic center that’s going to lose out on revenue because the Pirates are gone. A study was done by the county when they were pushing for the renovation that said the Pirates brought in 5.7M per year in revenue into the area in people buying food, drinks and hotels. That’s a lot of money lost in the city coffers.

The county’s mandate to the trustees is to operate the civic center on a non-profit basis. Yet, Neal Pratt has said on numerous occasions that the team doesn’t make money for the county and is a break even proposition so it’s not a big deal if the team leaves. Yet, when defending the lease offer to the team he’ll make the same argument that the civic center’s only mission is to break even and they will not subsidize hockey so why is bad to break even in one sense, but not another?

The trustees are willing to squawk on a $X amount and yet allow $5.7 million just dry up because of their ego or dislike over Petrovek. That’s mismanagement by definition.

They sold a bond to county taxpayers on the promise of a tenant occupying that arena. They are spending $33M to renovate the civic center, adding suites, club seats and make other improvements that will only benefit a primary hockey tenant – the Pirates. If they aren’t willing to make the concessions needed to keep the Pirates in town then stop the renovation and save taxpayers that money.

Sorry for the long winded post but I just wanted to lay it all out there.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:24 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:

The Colisee does list 3,682 for hockey, but I've been told by the staff in Lewiston that they've added seats to raise it 3,737 and hope to reconfigure a few more seats into the arena to raise it to 3,800, but in either case as I've said the number of seats don't really matter over the long haul.

Old
10-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Good writeup chris. It will be interesting to see how we do this year. Any word on who it will look like will get the C?

Old
10-01-2013, 02:09 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

btw, the newest version of the team website been launched. http://www.portlandpirates.com

thanks Wildcat, for that concise posting, that's why I've been following and/or reading the articles you've done since MHJ was created/started;

the team's Facebook page has taken Portland off their cover photo;

as for the Captain/Assistants, isn't that done by a player vote with Edwards being an advisor to that vote, it's still a week or more before the Manchester game , patience, we'll know once the players vote.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:42 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Good writeup chris. It will be interesting to see how we do this year. Any word on who it will look like will get the C?
There's no real hint yet, but I'd say Szwarz is the leading candidate.

Old
10-01-2013, 08:06 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Roster now @ 27; F's Josh Currie, Phillippe Hadley, D Justin Wellar & G Chris Rawlings assigned to ECHL Gwinnett while F Mitch Porowski was released from his PTO

Old
10-01-2013, 10:45 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates continue to evaluate as training camp winds down
By Chris Roy Published: 1st October 2013

Quote:
SACO – The Portland Pirates failed to pick up a victory during the preseason, but head coach Ray Edwards still found plenty of things to be pleased about.
Link>>>>

Old
10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Roster's up @ www.portlandpirates.com

Old
10-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Is that really the roster they're going with as of now?

There's only 6 D listed and Brodeur is the veteran, with 2 AHL seasons. Wouldn't that leave the D something like:

Gormley/Murphy
Brodeur/Brisebois
Todd/Melindy

Four of them are rookies. That doesn't seem like a good idea, especially with a young goalie tandem.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:44 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Yup... That's what they're going with for now. They might get someone from PHX, or they might sign a vet, but for now it will be those six plus Louis who platoon on both ends.

Old
10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
mitch27

Szwarz named captain. That's a really good sign. I like him a lot. I don't think it will be long before he becomes a staple in the Yotes' bottom six.

Old
10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Szwarz is the best option we currently have. However i would of preferred that we signed a vet that could of fit the roll a little better and teach the rookies.

Last edited by Swat Ultra: 10-07-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Closed Thread