HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate II

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Desert Ice 11
;)

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Springfield Tonight.
Pirates win?

Thank you CHRDANHUTCH for keeping us up to date on the Pirates. I like to keep my eye on the Coyotes farm to see whats happening but I get wrapped up in other things. Reading your posts help me keep up. I appreciate your posts

Old
01-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

vCash: 500
Another good game by Lessio last night. He needs a call up.

Gormley on the other hand looked like a train wreck many bad in zone turnovers and giving up odd man rushes all game

Old
01-19-2014, 04:15 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Ultra View Post

Gormley on the other hand looked like a train wreck many bad in zone turnovers and giving up odd man rushes all game
Yeah, maybe we should have called up Lessio instead of Brown earlier in the season. He might be the more NHL ready one now, it seems.

Old
01-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Ultra View Post

What's going on with Gormley? He has done nothing since been drafted. He was considered a top five in his draft class.

Old
01-19-2014, 07:53 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
What's going on with Gormley? He has done nothing since been drafted. He was considered a top five in his draft class.
Done nothing?

Memorial Cup Champion. Named tournament all-star. Arguably the MVP of the tournament.

Best D Man and first team all-star at WJC.

Developing perfectly.

Old
01-19-2014, 08:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I can't believe some of the **** people type around here.

01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Karlkarotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He'll never be as good as dion phaneuf

Old
01-20-2014, 07:32 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Done nothing?

Memorial Cup Champion. Named tournament all-star. Arguably the MVP of the tournament.

Best D Man and first team all-star at WJC.

Developing perfectly.
I meant the pro level. If he is developing perfectly he would be playing in the NHL by now. I hope he does well for the Coyotes sake, but I have some concerns.

Old
01-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Maybe in your eyes, but it's my opinion, that's all.

I know you really like Gormley but I'm not as impressed with him like you are. I really hope he makes me eat crow as it will only make the Yotes better in the long run.

Old
01-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
I meant the pro level. If he is developing perfectly he would be playing in the NHL by now. I hope he does well for the Coyotes sake, but I have some concerns.
Have you watched him play this season? A week ago you asked about it. I responded and said he was playing in every situation in Portland. He's probably playing something like 27 minutes per night.

The Coyotes finally have the luxury of taking the slow route with some of their best prospects, instead of rushing them to patch the big club's roster. That's one of the most important hurdles in our evolution as a franchise. It's a good thing.

You say have some concerns about Gormley and/or his development. What are those concerns? Have you watched an AHL Live game to see how he's playing?

Just because he hasn't been called up yet, doesn't mean his development isn't exactly on track. It's merely a reflection of our defensive depth and changing salary cap circumstances.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Have you watched him play this season? A week ago you asked about it. I responded and said he was playing in every situation in Portland. He's probably playing something like 27 minutes per night.

The Coyotes finally have the luxury of taking the slow route with some of their best prospects, instead of rushing them to patch the big club's roster. That's one of the most important hurdles in our evolution as a franchise. It's a good thing.

You say have some concerns about Gormley and/or his development. What are those concerns? Have you watched an AHL Live game to see how he's playing?

Just because he hasn't been called up yet, doesn't mean his development isn't exactly on track. It's merely a reflection of our defensive depth and changing salary cap circumstances.
A couple of posts up a poster said he was a train wreck, but the way it sounds you like the way he is playing. Two different views on the way he is playing.

I have not watched him play in the AHL, just reading the posts on these boards.

Some of my concerns with Gormley:

-Was considered a top five, dropped to 13th, one behind Fowler, who by the way has played almost 250 games.
-Murphy is a year younger yet was called up ahead of Gormley. I know you will say because Murphy shots R. Murphy was drafted 20th.
-OEL drafted six, playing in his third year.
-Klesla sent down, shoots L, Schlemko who everyone hates shoots L. Why not a call up just to see how he does?

Look, this is just my opinion, right or wrong time will tell. But if he was playing lights out in the AHL there would be room for him here. I'm just not as high on him as most posters here, that's all.

Old
01-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Karlkarotte

Quote:
A couple of posts up a poster said he was a train wreck, but the way it sounds you like the way he is playing. Two different views on the way he is playing.

-Was considered a top five, dropped to 13th, one behind Fowler, who by the way has played almost 250 games.
-Murphy is a year younger yet was called up ahead of Gormley. I know you will say because Murphy shots R. Murphy was drafted 20th.
-Klesla sent down, shoots L, Schlemko who everyone hates shoots L. Why not a call up just to see how he does?

Look, this is just my opinion, right or wrong time will tell. But if he was playing lights out in the AHL there would be room for him here. I'm just not as high on him as most posters here, that's all.
twisting the truth a bit. the guy said he looked like a train wreck in that one game. but ya your opinion so ok

Old
01-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Kaibur

http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1011684

Gormley had a goal and an assist in his last game.

Edit: Also, he was named third star of the game.

Old
01-20-2014, 11:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1011684

Gormley had a goal and an assist in his last game.

Edit: Also, he was named third star of the game.
Which is pretty good considering it was a 4-2 loss.

Old
01-20-2014, 12:53 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I would encourage you to actually watch a player play before jumping to conclusions.

Gormely is developing as scheduled. If we were the Red Wings we would be praised for our patience.

Gormely is playing 25+ minutes per night in all situations. He isn't ready to jump ahead of Yandle/OEL on the depth chart and those guys play a combines 50 minutes/night meaning you have about 10 minutes (assuming no penalties) to play him. That means long stretches on the bench between shifts. If you think that is more valuable fine, that's your opinion. I for one understand why the decision has been made to foster his development and play him often at the AHL level.

I know I am biased but I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that the 6'5" behemoth in Murphy would be on the main squad. He's an unbelievable talent. I went on record prior to his draft that I loved this kid and I called his selection a "jump up and down in excitement" move. I've lectured several posters about the potential of this kid (most notably rt btw who I am sure is just about to eat crow on his comments since the selection). He offers a skill set (size and reach) that the main squad desperately needs; especially given the mediocre play of Klesla this year. His presence on the main squad shouldn't be looked at as a negative on Murphy. It's a reflection of our scouting staff getting it right and taking a flyer on a kid who was hopelessly under-appreciated during his draft year. Honestly, I think by this time next year Murphy will have firmly secured a top 4 position in our D corps.

Old
01-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Kaibur

I was certainly one of the people unhappy with the Murphy pick. I think I wanted Boone Jenner at that pick. Obviously, it's looking like a good pickup, and one that was a little off the radar, like the Visentin pick the year before. Murphy was difficult to watch simply because he missed so many games. As long as he stays healthy, he might be a real gem for the club.

Old
01-20-2014, 02:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yeah. Jenner was my guy. Murphy looks like a really, really, really good pick-up, though. If he can stay healthy (god willing) we'll have a hell of steal on our hands.

Old
01-20-2014, 04:04 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah. Jenner was my guy. Murphy looks like a really, really, really good pick-up, though. If he can stay healthy (god willing) we'll have a hell of steal on our hands.
Honestly I love bringing this up. It makes me giggle like a schoolboy getting to needle you on Murphy.

Old
01-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Kaibur

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=47549

From Murphy's draft year, the TSN Bob Mckenzie and actual draft list.

I think Murphy still has a lot of work to do. But obviously, he's a lot closer and a lot better fit than I would have imagined. He's got a lot of playing weight to put on, but he's already got some snarl as a young beanpole.

It's funny to look at how the prospects from that year are valued today league wide and by their organizations. TSN had Morrow, Klefbom and Saad at 20, 21, and 22 going into that draft. Klefbom was taken 19th and is struggling in the AHL. Morrow was picked 23rd, has been used as trade bait twice, and is also polishing his game in the AHL. Saad is putting up very solid numbers in Chicago, and has already played nearly 100 NHL games and 25 playoff games. And he was picked well after the rest of the names on TSN's list.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Honestly I love bringing this up. It makes me giggle like a schoolboy getting to needle you on Murphy.
I'm actually fine with my stance to be honest. If the Murphy selection thread is dragged up again you'll see I'm disappointed for two reasons; his injury history and his position. Today, while I LOVE him as a prospect I'm STILL scared ****less about his injury problems AND here we sit with a log-jam of D that we can't reconcile. My issues are still issues. Of course his tremendous play makes it easy to forget.

I never saw him play a game before he was drafted. I wanted a forward. A healthy forward. Either by selection or via trade. Right now Murphy looks like a better prospect than Jenner. There's a long way to go before we can say that for sure.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:42 AM
lanky

Jenner and Murphy are both miles ahead of Puempel, who I was lobbying for. I also liked Jensen who's done nothing good for himself since his first training camp.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:44 AM
lanky

Mind you I did trade up in a mock to grab Scheifele, so I wasn't totally lost.

Old
01-21-2014, 03:36 AM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
I absolutely hated the Murphy pick. I thought it was a wasted pick because I was sure he was never going to be healthy enough to play in the NHL. I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

I don't know who I would've chosen instead though, because all the guys I liked had already been chosen that year. But thankfully we didn't pick Rocco Grimaldi. Did not want him at all.

Old
01-21-2014, 04:06 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
I absolutely hated the Murphy pick. I thought it was a wasted pick because I was sure he was never going to be healthy enough to play in the NHL. I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

I don't know who I would've chosen instead though, because all the guys I liked had already been chosen that year. But thankfully we didn't pick Rocco Grimaldi. Did not want him at all.
Isn't Rocco Grimaldi even more of a religious zealot than Mueller was?

Old
01-21-2014, 02:26 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
back on topic---Worcester in town tonight.

Closed Thread