HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 04:31 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
He was actually pretty good at offense. I was actually very impressed by his hockey IQ because he made some genius short passing that i dont think anyone even thinks to try. He fitted well Predators offense since its pretty much skillful passing orientated game, obviously he would need more than 10 games to get accustomed to Preds system + NHL game.
his compete level was completely shameful. no doubting his nhl caliber skills, but his desire out there made yashin look like john tonelli.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
my opinion AND a fact, since he no longer plays in the nhl, lockout notwithstanding.
Zherdev would have a job in the NHL if he wanted to.

But that would require for him to take a significant paycut.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 11-01-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: TL edit
Old
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
accept it. fact. don't take it personal. there are other leagues that are better suited to zherdev.
You can call something a fact, but the claim doesn't make it so.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
True. A lot of Ovie fans try spin it as if people who are giving him criticism are trying to say he is a bad player.And nobody is saying that. The thing is, my blind goat could see that he is far away from what he once was. Definitely a lot of denial going on...
i think most of it is the critics are confusing peak with his prime. ovechkins peak is gone for sure no OV fanboys will deny that, but he is still in his prime.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Zherdev would have a job in the NHL if he wanted to.

But that would require for him to take a significant paycut.
I doubt he would.

At any wage....

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 11-01-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Quote edited
Old
10-31-2012, 07:55 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
I doubt he would.

At any wage....
you mean getting a nhl job or taking a lower wage? because zherdev could easily get a job, he only had 1 really bad year in the nhl

Old
10-31-2012, 08:13 PM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
I doubt he would.

At any wage....
Zherdev could easily land a spot in any team if he was willing to play for example league minimum. I highly doubt he would be worse than superstars like Aucoin, Halpern or Knuble.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Shawnathon

Is this thread a joke?

Old
10-31-2012, 08:34 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I love how people are happy about the downfall of the league's most exciting player. When he was on his game, Ovechkin was far and away the most electric player on the ice for any team. Ever since 2009 or 10 when I feel like he lost "it" I have always been marginally depressed by the realization that we may never see that Ovy again.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
Are we really saying 27 year olds are past their prime now? really? this bored is messed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
past his prime? haha what? I dislike Ovechkin as much as the next guy but he just turned 27.

He seems to have lost a passion for the game that he once had, but a 40 game stretch will change opinions around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
I don't think that anyone would argue that Ovi isn't past his prime.Pure goal-scorers like Ovi tend to peak around 23, and I believe he's 26 now. Doesn't change the fact that he's still very good at what he does, but his best work is behind him
Miguel is right and the statistics back it up.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 11-01-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Quote deleted
Old
10-31-2012, 10:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
I love how people are happy about the downfall of the league's most exciting player.
Who's happy about it?

Old
10-31-2012, 10:34 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Who's happy about it?
the people who dont like him, so a lot of people

Old
10-31-2012, 10:39 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Who's happy about it?
This thread is proof

Old
11-01-2012, 12:51 AM
drs151

people will defend Ovechkin with arguements such as, "oh my god hes 27 years old hes anciet." etc etc. But fact of the matter is if you look at the elite goal scorers of all time most peak in around 23-25. He is 27 and is more than likely past "his prime" which is looking to be his years of 20-24 years old. Thats a solid 5 years. He is still young enough that he has a second prime in him. I still expect him to score at a 30-40 goal pace for a few more years. But im sorry the pics dont lie. Hes not the shape he could be in. After about the age of 25, the male body starts to decline. After this age you really have to work at it to stay in you're prime.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Riddum

Quote:
I love how people are happy about the downfall of the league's most exciting player.
Quote:
Who's happy about it?
Quote:
This thread is proof
I'm not happy about it. This thread is simply an acceptance of the fact.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbychuk View Post
Ovechkin is past his prime. 65 points? Come on.....
The guy use to pot 65 goals, though!

Old
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
people will defend Ovechkin with arguements such as, "oh my god hes 27 years old hes anciet." etc etc. But fact of the matter is if you look at the elite goal scorers of all time most peak in around 23-25. He is 27 and is more than likely past "his prime" which is looking to be his years of 20-24 years old. Thats a solid 5 years. He is still young enough that he has a second prime in him. I still expect him to score at a 30-40 goal pace for a few more years. But im sorry the pics dont lie. Hes not the shape he could be in. After about the age of 25, the male body starts to decline. After this age you really have to work at it to stay in you're prime.
Another ignorant post.

There was a photo posted in here from September that showed ovie in the best shape he's possibly ever been.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:36 PM
AD1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
Another ignorant post.

There was a photo posted in here from September that showed ovie in the best shape he's possibly ever been.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:15 PM
shello
@WShello9

The guy scored 39 goals last year, if he had one more I'm sure he wouldn't have this thread. I don't like him very much but common a 40 goal scorer is no slouch.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post
He looks like Randy Orton a little.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
38 goals..lol. 38 goals is really good but 65 points?.... come on, Ovechkin once scored 65 goals.
He still outscored the closest teammate (Semin) by 11 pts. Bäckström missing half the season is a huge loss for their offence. Green playing only 32 games as well.
That, plus their new ultra-defensive system which was extremly poor suited for a player like Ovechkin, 38 goals and 65 points is pretty damn good.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
He has also become to predictable. Coming down the wing trying to cut in and use the D men as a screen. He has to adjust his game.
How stupid are NHL coaches and D-men if that's the case? It took 'em seven years to "figure him out"? No. That's not the case.
Not having Green's breakout passes to a flying Ovechkin who could challenge the D. Not having Bäckström feeding him one-timers on the PP. Not having any dangerous secondary scoring. Not having a free-flying offensive system. THAT is what caused Ovechkin to score a mere 38 goals.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
So your basically saying ovechkin NEEDS Backstrom and Green to succeed. Ovechkin has more then enough to work with.
No, I'm not saying he's depending on them to succeed. Granted, it obviously makes it easier for him. Scoring 38 goals on a ultra defensive team in a bad year is not bad. Add the fact that the Caps had a PP% of 16 and the 27th most PP opportunities... Well. Go figure.
Do you expect Ovechkin to score 55 of his teams 220 goals? And assist on another 50?

EDIT: All season, they had SEVEN 5 on 3's.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
No But I expect him to score more than 65 points. I understand what your saying but a Player like Ovechkin should not be scoring 65 points when he's 26 years old.
Explain how?
He averaged slightly below 20 minutes per game in TOI. 3 minutes and 38 seconds on the PP.
In 08-09 when he scored 56 he averaged 23 minutes. 5.24 on the PP.
It's pretty damn simple if you actually care to break stuff down instead of just saying "OMG OVECHKIN SUCKS".

Old
11-01-2012, 07:17 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
How stupid are NHL coaches and D-men if that's the case? It took 'em seven years to "figure him out"? No. That's not the case.
Not having Green's breakout passes to a flying Ovechkin who could challenge the D. Not having Bäckström feeding him one-timers on the PP. Not having any dangerous secondary scoring. Not having a free-flying offensive system. THAT is what caused Ovechkin to score a mere 38 goals.
careful, people will get the impression that Ovechkin was merely a benefactor of circumstance (linemates, freedom on the ice - like Rob Brown or Bernie Nicholls) and not really a game-changer impact player (like Crosby, Stamkos who can seem to produce regardless of circumstance)

You can't have it both ways. If these are significant contributors to Ovechkin's stats, then maybe he was no better than, say, poor Phil Kessel who managed to score even with Bozak, Lupul and a horrible team? If Marian Gaborik wasn't forced to play defensive hockey for Torts, maybe those 41 goals would be more like 65 goals?

Here's a thought. Maybe Ovechkin should be given full credit when he's the best player in hockey AND take full blame when he's a shell of what he was?

It's not just the stats, his game is way off what it was. He's not dominant on the puck, he's often a perimeter player, not involved in the play as much. Did it take SEVEN years to adjust to his game? Maybe. The eyes don't lie. Even his biggest fans cannot, in clear conscience, admit that this is as good a player as he was a few years ago. It's simply not true.

Players get better and players get worse.

Ovechkin got worse.
Yashin got worse.
Lecavalier got worse.
There are many more examples if we put our locked-out brains to work.

We can argue the reasons, contributing factors, all we want. That's an excuse after the fact. Maybe it's Green/Backstrom or Boudreau or his fat stomach or maybe he was injured or something else.

Excuses only come up when there are results that are way off expectations. And that's what we have with this guy.

I'm not convinced he's past his prime, that's absurd, despite evidence from the past of players who peaked before the age of 27. There are plenty of players who have remained productive well into their thirties.

Closed Thread