HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 08:32 PM
od71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Still a great player though, but no longer do I consider him part of the "Big 3" and Stamkos has replaced him at this point.
May be. The time will show. It's a pity Stamkos doesn't play in the KHL.
Just to compare them in the same environment.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:23 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
lol. It's simple math

Size + Explosiveness + Speed + Wicked and Accurate Shot+ Strenght of a Bull = Old Ovi

Size - Explosiveness - Speed - Wicked and Accurate Shot + Strenght of a bull = New Ovi.

Will we ever see the Old Ovi again? Who knows? Can Ovi reinvent himself into a New Old Ovi? It remains to be seen.
Ovechkin isn't really slower his team just doesn't play the wide open style it used to.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:24 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Ovechkin isn't really slower his team just doesn't play the wide open style it used to.
There's not any change that was made to what the Capitals do that would make one individual player move slower on the rush. Chimera and Johansson certainly don't look any slower on the rush.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Though I like Ovi, but I would say, had he stayed in Russia, hadn't he moved to the NHL, he would never have become a superstar. He would be just a good player, like many others. Be honest, he doesn't have superskills. He is gritty, powerful, yes. Obviously, he is NA style hockey player.
That's why, he will go back to the NHL, as soon as lockout is over, no matter what he says in Russia.

Honestly, I didn't expect from him a good performance in the KHL. But he exceeded my expectation. He's doing not bad. Look even at Malkin, obviously the best player in the world last season, yesterday was another pointless night, another lost game. He was out of temper. I have never seen him as irritated as he was last game. Even for him it's not an easy walk there. Look at Kane. He has shown absolute zero. 1 point in 12 games. Dinamo Minsk has parted with him. Nevertheless, my respect to him, at least he has balls to move to new league without fear of being accused if something would go wrong. Look at Rinne or Bryzg. Rinne sometimes looks like a circus clown. If he is one of the best goalies in the NHL, I should try too. Zdeno Chara. Since he joined Lev (Prague), Lev lost 8 games in a row.

So, don't be hard on Ovi. He is really doing not bad.
After all it looks like its not as easy to light up the KHL as many people think here

Old
11-19-2012, 08:49 AM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

if Ovi is past his prime, does that mean Crosby is too? hasn't played much in the past 2 seasons, now has concussion problems, last full season he played he didn't lead the league in scoring (actually tied with Ovechkin of all people, who played fewer games)

im not saying Crosby sucks or anything, but are his BEST days behind him as well?

Old
11-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Richard

Looks like Evgeni Malkin could take the torch and run with it for the next half decade.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Datstromberg

so many caps fans in denial. face it, his point totals have dropped drastically in the last 2 seasons and he is still horrible defensively. there is no reason to believe he can be the game breaker he was 3-4 seasons ago.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Elever
Hth

I dont think hes lost his speed or shot. He just hasnt been able to adapt as well to lockout 2.0 hockey. If gpg go up then he will get back to 100 pts.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:30 AM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

How are his stats now?

Old
11-19-2012, 11:57 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
How are his stats now?
Ovi's KHL player page (in English)

Old
11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
WarriorofTime

Ovechkin is carrying his team's offense on a very balanced, defensively minded team that has the best record in the KHL. Carry on fretting that he's not leading the league in scoring.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Ovechkin is carrying his team's offense on a very balanced, defensively minded team that has the best record in the KHL. Carry on fretting that he's not leading the league in scoring.
it's always his own team holding him back in the eyes of Ovechkin fanboys. the opposite team has no merit at all, if it wasn't for his own team he would kill them...

Last edited by Human: 11-19-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
May be. The time will show. It's a pity Stamkos doesn't play in the KHL.
Just to compare them in the same environment.
They played in the same environment last year...

Old
11-19-2012, 06:41 PM
DMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
After all it looks like its not as easy to light up the KHL as many people think here
I agree. Too many people have written off the KHL/RSL for too long as some glorified beer league that NHLers would light up with one arm tied behind their backs. They're seeing otherwise, but few still wish to admit to the reality.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
ThePhoenixx

Ovechkin has never been the same since he laid that center ice hit on Jagr during international play.

Anyone have the clip?

Look at his numbers pre and post hit.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:08 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenixx View Post
Ovechkin has never been the same since he laid that center ice hit on Jagr during international play.

Anyone have the clip?

Look at his numbers pre and post hit.
???

The game that really changed Ovechkin was the Olympic game between Canada and Russia. After that Ovechkin has never really been the same.

Jagr was playing in Russia for 2 years and hadn't played on the smaller ice in a while and it was one hit.

I doubt either player cares about that hit. It's certain fans that overhype that hit.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Kopitar isn't even lighting up the Swedish second tier, Allsvenskan. 22 points in 19 games. OMG he sucks.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:49 AM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Kopitar isn't even lighting up the Swedish second tier, Allsvenskan. 22 points in 19 games. OMG he sucks.

thats hilarious

Old
11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Riddum

Quote:
Where did I say that Ovi sucks? I was simply saying that he's past his prime... which is a far cry from Ovi sucks.

So why do you feel the need to mention that Kopitar isn't exactly lighting it up either in a lower league? Also, Kopitar has never been a PPG guy in the NHL.

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-21-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: not needed
Old
11-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Where did I say that Ovi sucks? I was simply saying that he's past his prime... which is a far cry from Ovi sucks.

So why do you feel the need to mention that Kopitar isn't exactly lighting it up either in a lower league? Also, Kopitar has never been a PPG guy in the NHL.
The KHL is by FAR the second best league in the world, combined with all the locked out players it's even better. Kopitar has been as close to a PPG player as possible over the last three seasons and he's still not destroying Allsvenskan which is like the 7th, 8th, 9th best league in Europe.

Is he way past his prime? According to your theory, he should be. That's sad for the Kings.

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-21-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: qep
Old
11-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Nicklas Backstrom (6G, 5A in 9GP) says hello.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:49 PM
funky11

Quote:
The KHL is by FAR the second best league in the world, combined with all the locked out players it's even better. Kopitar has been as close to a PPG player as possible over the last three seasons and he's still not destroying Allsvenskan which is like the 7th, 8th, 9th best league in Europe.

Is he way past his prime? According to your theory, he should be. That's sad for the Kings.
I doubt he is giving his best effort in that league.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky11 View Post
I doubt he is giving his best effort in that league.
There's always something, isn't it...

Old
11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Riddum

Quote:

Are you telling that there isn't a drastic decline in all aspects of Ovi's game? Are you one that thinks that his decline is attributed to the system he plays in? If your answer to these questions are no and yes, then let me just say that some people simply don't know how to analyze the game hockey.

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-21-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: not needed
Old
11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Are you telling that there isn't a drastic decline in all aspects of Ovi's game? Are you one that thinks that his decline is attributed to the system he plays in? If your answer to these questions are no and yes, then let me just say that some people simply don't know how to analyze the game hockey.
You just quoted some stats from a league you clearly have no clue about, and even those stats pertained to a small sample of games. Ovechkin is the leading scorer and a captain on KHL's leading team, and you're somehow trying to use that to prove your point. I mean, in all honesty, whether Ovi is past his prime or not is a fair discussion, but you're disregarding arguments that say otherwise by trolling accusations or preemptive no-that's-the-wrong-answer statements, which I guess when stated definitively are a good tactic to make that position seem very unreasonable without any debate on why that should be so.

From what I've seen, I'm not saying he's not past his prime, but I'm also not saying that he is. At this point, I just don't think there's enough evidence to point in either of the directions. Some of his passes and assists have been amazing this year, and I haven't seen him make those in the NHL before. On the other hand, the highlight-reel goals are missing. Does that mean he's past his prime? Well, again, I don't know. He might never again have a 110-point season in the NHL, but he might contribute in other ways. I don't know that necessarily means he's past his prime, he might've just changed his game. And you can't just disregard the system argument, either, especially when you're talking about high numbers like those. Individual skill can only take you so far. But after a certain threshold is reached, things like that matter. I acknowledge the fact that he had a bad season by his standards last year, and that even in a different system he should be roughly a PPG player. But that doesn't mean he can't bounce back, and this year's stats aren't suggesting he won't, either.

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-21-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: qep
Closed Thread