HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
"Dead puck era 2.0"???

What hockey have you been watching this year? I just finished watching the Leafs lose 7-4 to the Islanders.
Regardless of Ovechkin, you're basing your perception of today's hockey on one high-scoring game between bad teams with crap goaltending?

In your words, "what hockey have you been watching" last year, and more importantly, the playoffs?

In the vast majority of cases, stifling, defensive hockey was much more effective than any semblance of attempts at high-flying run-and-gun hockey that was viable 3-4 years ago.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

ive been calling it for years that this would happen.

People are so adamant to fight the fact he's declining. He does the same things game after game. Coaches and players adapted to his style, and he's been declining and now its finally taking a toll on his production because he's not a super human on the ice anymore. He's dropped down to their level and they can counter him finally

Has it ever occured to any of you that he could just be burning out? How many players burn out before they're 30? How many players have came into the league on fire and then just lost alot of their production, staying good players but never at the level they were before?

All the time. He isn't going to roar back, he is just going through what 75% of players go through. Not everyone has a prime or the athleticism until their mid 30s or more.

It happens

Example: Malkins game is mentality and athleticism. Ovechkins is all athleticism. Malkin can still outsmart players with creativity, Ovechkin will just keep trying to power through them with whats worked before.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:44 AM
fashi13

Im a huge Caps fan, but watching Ovechkin play now and comparing him to guy who had the hattrick against the Pens in the playoffs, is like comparing the Fat, drunk, slurring Elvis to the young handsome version that started things out. Just Sad.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:45 AM
dahlenrules

He's a shell of his former shell. He doesn't hit, can't shoot, and got beat in a race tonight by Markov, who has half a leg.

He's like Matt Hendricks, except worse in the shootout, has scored less goals this season, doesn't fight, forecheck, or hit, and is paid about 9mil more a season.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:54 AM
Kshahdoo

He started this KHL season the same way. And then turned on a turbo mode.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
He did absolutely nothing last night. The only reason you heard his name is because the commentators kept talking about the switch to RW.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:43 AM
SeriousHabs

And by hoards, they left the Capitals' wagon.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:56 AM
od71

Didn't watch the game. How did team look? Was the whole team crap?

Old
01-25-2013, 07:01 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Same.

I remember saying a few years ago that he'd be a shell of his former self/and or be in the KHL by 30. Of course many were quick to quote me and laugh, or chalk what I said up to me being a Pens fan, or jealousy, or the fact that I've never liked AO.

Hate to say I told you so but....

At the same time, my feelings regarding AO have changed. Back when he was considered one of the "Big 3" I couldn't stand the guy. Be it his one dimensional style of play, his overly cocky attitude, or the fact that he's been involved in a few questionably dirty hits over the years.

Now, I sort of feel bad for the guy in a way. Not because I like him (I still don't), but because of the fact that he had so much talent and promise a few years ago and has seemed to piss it away, and has refused to adapt and change his game in order to redeem himself back to his former greatness etc.

I hate to say "waste of talent" but mean lets face it, so many guys in the NHL (or even us here at HF) would kill to have a fraction of the raw talent and skill he had. And if we had it, we would want to utilize it to it's full potential.

Whether you like Ovie or not, it's sad to see a guy with that much talent regress that much and soon. It's interesting to ponder that had he not regressed, what would his career look like now?

Old
01-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I posted this a while back, but this is a look at how he scored nearly all of his goals in his rookie season. His shot seemed unstoppable back then, and his strength and speed allowed him to power through everything. He wasn't afraid to make all sorts of dekes either.

He can't seem to do that anymore.
That explosiveness is gone plus he can't seem to (doesn't try to?) cut to the net any more. The speed has left him somehow. He never rounded out his game too and relied too much on his offense but yeah this video reminds me of when between 2005-10 he may have been the top force in the game. If not that he certainly was bar none the most electrifying. That prime, that first five years he had was right up there with names like Howie Morenz, Rocket Richard, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Denis Savard, Mario Lemieux, Alexander Mogilny, Jaromir Jagr and Pavel Bure amongst the most exciting and electrifying players ever. But those guys- with injury plagued Mario and Orr being the exceptions- either fizzled out in their early 30s or peaked, valleyed then peaked again through their 30s. Will OV be the former or the latter? He seems to have valleyed at age 25-27 though, that's the weird part. More of a Guy "Buddy" Cloutier, Sylvain Turgeon, Jimmy Carson-esque trajectory to his career only at a much higher peak than those three ever had.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)

Ovie's decline is soooo yesterday. Let's start talking about Yakupov's inevitable decline.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:09 AM
ot92s

His teammates either don't have the talent or straight up refuse to adapt in order to get the puck in his hands. The man in CONSTANTLY open...and his dimwitted teamates are passing up the chance to get it to him. I can't believe how composed he stays with his teammates. It really is hard to watch.

I saw him live on opening night and it really is frustrating to see. Such a talent...dying on the vine...

GET HIM THE PUCK WHEN HE IS OPEN!

Old
01-25-2013, 07:17 AM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

It might just be that time for Ovi.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ot92s View Post
His teammates either don't have the talent or straight up refuse to adapt in order to get the puck in his hands. The man in CONSTANTLY open...and his dimwitted teamates are passing up the chance to get it to him. I can't believe how composed he stays with his teammates. It really is hard to watch.

I saw him live on opening night and it really is frustrating to see. Such a talent...dying on the vine...

GET HIM THE PUCK WHEN HE IS OPEN!
i don't buy this. nick backstrom is one of the best centers in the league. he also once scored 100 points. elite players produce no matter what... that's what makes them elite.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:31 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post

People are so adamant to fight the fact he's declining. He does the same things game after game. Coaches and players adapted to his style, and he's been declining and now its finally taking a toll on his production because he's not a super human on the ice anymore. He's dropped down to their level and they can counter him finally

Has it ever occured to any of you that he could just be burning out? How many players burn out before they're 30? How many players have came into the league on fire and then just lost alot of their production, staying good players but never at the level they were before?

All the time. He isn't going to roar back, he is just going through what 75% of players go through.
Not everyone has a prime or the athleticism until their mid 30s or more.

It happens

Example: Malkins game is mentality and athleticism. Ovechkins is all athleticism. Malkin can still outsmart players with creativity, Ovechkin will just keep trying to power through them with whats worked before.
I would like a list of these players you speak of. Other than guys who were injured I have no idea what you're talking about.

You're right about him being burned out though, but for a different reason. It might be because you simply can't play at this level skating full bore your entire shift, hitting/plowing through everything in sight.

Option B: He was worked like a dog in Russia, came over here and gradually over time got out of his killer workout habits. I think this is the most likely explanation. He was a little out of shape a couple summers ago and his production didn't seem to indicate he was completely ready to play that year.

Option C: These coaches the Caps have had have no idea how to maximize him. Also very possible. Seems like unless AO is bull rushing the other team's defense or one-timing from the point the coaches have no idea what to do with him.

A large part of me hopes he gets back to his old ways even as a Penguin fan. He's the only player since Lindros in his prime that I was legitimately afraid of every time he came down the ice with the puck. His shot was cheat code good for a long time there.

Last edited by UnderratedBrooks44: 01-25-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 07:38 AM
bcrt2000

Ovy would be wise to train with Gary Roberts in the summer.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:40 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

hes lost it, he's still a good player but really no better than any other 30 goal guy in the league now

Old
01-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Riddum

Ovi began to decline when he stopped training with Dmitri Kapitonov.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:05 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

He needs a change of scenery.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:07 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Goalscoring yes, offensively debatable, overall, no

Never thought putting the C on him made sense. He is not a natural leader and does not respond well to responsibility.
Not really debatable He outclassed Crosby by a good bit no matter what the media will have you believe.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Not really debatable He outclassed Crosby by a good bit no matter what the media will have you believe.
You mean when Crosby had that high ankle sprain? Crosby was on his way to another legendary season prior to his injury. It took him about 2 seasons to truly recover from the injury.

Would you rather have Prime Ovechkin or Prime Crosby on your team?

Edit: In before Prime Malkin.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:11 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
See, you have a valid argument but then you have to throw in "outclassed...by a good bit".

Old
01-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Soundwave

I just can't believe a guy who's still only 27 can lose so much athletic explosiveness without some kind of massive, debilitating injury.

Have never seen anything like it, not just in hockey, but not in the NBA or NFL either.

Vince Carter in his Toronto Raptors days maybe, but he suffered a pretty serious knee injury.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:20 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I just can't believe a guy who's still only 27 can lose so much athletic explosiveness without some kind of massive, debilitating injury.

Have never seen anything like it, not just in hockey, but not in the NBA or NFL either.

Vince Carter in his Toronto Raptors days maybe, but he suffered a pretty serious knee injury.
I personally believe a bit part of the blame is on the Cap's coaching staff. They don't play a game that really favors Ovechkin's abilities, and he hasn't really played with players who can make up for his failings.

It all started when their morale was crushed by the Habs in '10

Old
01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
TheReaper

I traded Stamkos for him a couple of seasons ago in my keeper league

Closed Thread