HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
lotta people making too many excuses here

it's all on OV. He lost his explosiveness and never developed his game further

he will never be close to what he was
Agreed. The combination of an obviously lack of work ethic with regards to fitness and the neutering he took at the hands of Bodreau trying to make him into something he isn't has resulted in this. The guy isn't nearly as explosive a skater as he used to be. He doesn't put the work in off the ice.

It makes his complete disregard for the defensive zone even more glaring, he just floats above the circles waiting for somebody else to get him the puck. When a player scores 50 goals and 90 points a year you can look past that, but not now.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
He's a shell of his former shell. He doesn't hit
Well, he did send some guy who tried to put a pick on him about 60 feet last night. Thought that interference penalty was bogus, to be honest. Guy cut into his lane.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
There was also alot of talk after the Caps lost against Montreal in that series when they were 3-1 up (if i recall correctly) The next year there was pressure on Boudreau to tighten up defensively. And Ovie hasnt been the same since that year/series.
I think that run of suspensions kind of neutered his intensity/explosiveness as well.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I think that run of suspensions kind of neutered his intensity/explosiveness as well.
Meh, I think that's an excuse. If that's the case, Ovy was a one trick pony who didn't evolve his game. Jagr was able to adapt his game when he lost his speed and became more of a bull. Cooke was able to adapt and change his game when he played like an idiot and kept getting suspended.

Plain and simple, it doesn't look like the old passion is there anymore. Maybe he's bored being an offensive player, not playing in the Run and Gun offense anymore.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
There was also alot of talk after the Caps lost against Montreal in that series when they were 3-1 up (if i recall correctly) The next year there was pressure on Boudreau to tighten up defensively. And Ovie hasnt been the same since that year/series.
cool. more excuses

Old
01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Meh, I think that's an excuse. If that's the case, Ovy was a one trick pony who didn't evolve his game. Jagr was able to adapt his game when he lost his speed and became more of a bull. Cooke was able to adapt and change his game when he played like an idiot and kept getting suspended.

Plain and simple, it doesn't look like the old passion is there anymore. Maybe he's bored being an offensive player, not playing in the Run and Gun offense anymore.
Its sad but you hit the nail on the head. He lost that juice and never recaptured it for whatever reason.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Its sad but you hit the nail on the head. He lost that juice and never recaptured it for whatever reason.
interesting choice of words

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,229748

Old
01-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
How bad would he have to be and for how long before his contract starts getting looked at like Gomez's?

Old
01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post

No worse of an excuse than "being bored".

Old
01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Fantomas

My impression of Ovechkin so far is that he's been making some pretty good plays but the entire team is snakebitten, including his linemates.

They will break through and Ovy will have about 50 points when it's all said and done.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:12 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
I'm not sure that explanation is needed.

Said before (and Jules Winnfield said the same thing just now) Jagr's explosiveness vanished at the same age and nobody ever alleged that to have been due to taking, then quitting, roids.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I'm not sure that explanation is needed.

Said before (and Jules Winnfield said the same thing just now) Jagr's explosiveness vanished at the same age and nobody ever alleged that to have been due to taking, then quitting, roids.
Yep, and think about this also. Ovy's game was about explosiveness, acceleration, and power. He came into the league with piss and vinegar running through his veins and was pretty much playing as if he were playing with playoff intensity for the first 5 years of his career. That kind of style has to take a toll on you if you don't adapt. I noticed it with his patented skate down the wing and break toward the middle of the ice wrist shot using the D as a screen (recently vs Ovy of 2009 and before).

Jagr is a good example of a player who lost production because of losing speed but evolving his game to use his strength and protection of the puck in the offensive zone to give him separation. Ovy needs to find that in his game...and also play like he's having fun again.

I was watching him last night wondering if I'll ever see him score and then jump into the glass like a crazed animal again

Old
01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Riddum

Quote:
I'm not saying that Ovi did roids, but guys who get off roids never feel as good, strong and aggressive as they did when they were on roids.

You see it a lot in MMA. Guys look like beasts... gets popped for roids... stops roiding and look like **** afterwards.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Drij

I'd say he can't handle being the captain.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
predfan24

I've been saying for awhile now he is not even close to the same player he was when he first came into the league. What made him so dominant early in his career was the explosiveness in every thing he did especially his skating. He's still fairly aggressive but that explosiveness is gone. D-men used to **** their pants when Ovy was coming down the wing one on one with them. Someone that big, that explosive, with that much talent was nearly impossible to handle. Now? Not nearly as scary at all for D-men to see him coming down the wing with space.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
So are we saying that his problems with scoring lies with his obsession with aiming his shots? Really?

He is a perimeter player. That is his problem.
No the difference is that he never was precision player like most other talented guys, he relied on having superior strength in his shot and they would go through no matter what. Since he has a little less strength, right now he's just like anybody else and the shots don'r go through. Remember we used to say "how does this went through?" when it should not but the puck ended in the net anyway. Well now the law of physics are working properly.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
black charger

Quote:

He became team captain.No more outlaw,he's now the sheriff.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Yeah. He probably also skate's whit his eyes closed.

Come on dude, you don't get 59, 54, 54, 53 ....assist seasons by NOT having the IQ to play hockey.
But AO was a special guy. He was a superior physical machine. I would not even call it skills.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfish87 View Post
qft.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I agree.

If you watch highlights from 5+ years ago he just isn't that same player anymore.

Every couple of weeks we would get a 'HOLY CHRIST! HE DID WHAAAT??' type goal from him.

Remember when he did things like this? The guy played like a Bull in a china shop, with great hands, and a shot like Bossy.

It's not just his explosiveness that's missing. His creativity, and his finesse is all gone.

I can't believe Don Cherry was actually right about him:

I do wonder if he will bounce back like Mogilny and Bure did before him.

http://www.rockthered.net/2012-artic...the-great.html
Cherry said "he won't be able to do this stuff for long cause he's making too many enemies".

Sad thing is, it did not even matter, he just....stopped.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:42 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Cherry said "he won't be able to do this stuff for long cause he's making too many enemies".

Sad thing is, it did not even matter, he just....stopped.
cherry is talking about ovechkins hitting, thats not the problem

Old
01-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I personally believe a bit part of the blame is on the Cap's coaching staff. They don't play a game that really favors Ovechkin's abilities, and he hasn't really played with players who can make up for his failings.

It all started when their morale was crushed by the Habs in '10
He wasn't too good at the Olympics also.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
cherry is talking about ovechkins hitting, thats not the problem
He doesn't do these big impact hits anymore.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I remember he went from 50 goals to 30 goals in one season with the change in style of the Caps. And since then he's been in a free-fall, somehow it got to his head and he doesn't seem to know what to do anymore.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Ovechkin's decline has been incredibly depressing.
When I feel down I look at all his goals of his first three seasons and I instantly feel better.

Closed Thread