HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 04:38 PM
revolverjgw

vCash: 500
It's in his head and heart, this guy is such a flake. The atmosphere around the Caps team has been so weird for a couple of years now, it just doesn't seem comfortable or fun for him anymore. When the Caps sucked and he had no pressure on him, he was awesome to watch, and continued to dominate when they started winning, but then they hit a wall and he crashed hard and doesn't have the temperament to handle it well. I'd love to see him on another team in a different situation. A situation where he's not expected to be the leader or centerpiece. Of course that's a tricky thing with his contract.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
XX
... Waiting

He has zero outside motivation. He has the big contract. It has to come from within, and he just isn't up to the task of being "the guy" for the Caps. It doesn't help that the team around him is a complete mess. I've never gotten the impression from OV that hockey was his main priority. Maybe it's just his aloof personality, but I wouldn't trust him to be a captain and leader on a team. He needs a Bowman type to kick him in the ass and turn it around.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
He got figured out, it's that simple.

He skates wide, and tries to beat people. (because coaches are telling players to force him wide)

If he can't get inside, he is useless.

That's OV in a nut shell

Old
01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
He got figured out, it's that simple.
After 5 seasons? Worst reasoning ever.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:14 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

"He got figured out" lol biggest cop out ever. Watch him the years he scored 50+ goals and compare him to now. He was fast and explosive he looks slow an limbering now.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:30 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post
"He got figured out" lol biggest cop out ever. Watch him the years he scored 50+ goals and compare him to now. He was fast and explosive he looks slow an limbering now.
Absolutely. I don't buy that it took all those years of him dominating the entire league for opposing coaches and players to notice that he was streaking down the wing and using the defender as a screen. I noticed the trend very quickly myself and I'm no hockey genius.

Years ago, he was a different player with a different level of enthusiasm. People knew what he was going to do but he did it anyway because he was faster and stronger than the competition and they had to respect that he was capable of almost anything. He doesn't look like that player now. He looks like he's trying as hard as most other players, but he used to look like he was miles ahead of them.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:41 PM

Goes up the ice in OT, falls over, Jersey get the puck and score the game winner.

I remember when Ovie used to be terrifying, now it's just a bit sad.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:43 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Ovi looked horrible tonight, easily the worst player on the ice and that last turnover he made by falling down was laughable

Old
01-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Captain Saku

He needs to be traded but he's approaching the untradable territory with his contract I'm afraid

Old
01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Honestly feel bad for Caps fans for getting stuck with this guy. Heartless.

That team is going to be stuck rebuilding for the forseeable future imo.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
MaximusT

That was a sad sight. He looked pretty slow accelerating up the ice prior to losing the puck too. And I thought he turned it around and began dedicating more time to his off ice workouts ever since he got engaged, he said his fiancée's tennis work ethic inspired him. I guess not. Guy looks absolutely horrible, if this was an 82 game season I doubt he'd even crack 60 points....sad...How funny would it be if he fell off so bad that he doesn't even make the Russian 2014 Olympic squad

Old
01-25-2013, 08:47 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Wow that was one of the worst games I've seen him play. Atrocious effort. I can't believe this guy was ever considered a top 2 player in the world.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:48 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

He looks ****ing terrible. He's just embarassing himself out there.

Old
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Ovi looked horrible tonight, easily the worst player on the ice and that last turnover he made by falling down was laughable
no actually he was not easily the worst. Backstrom was just as bad if not worse especially for a guy known for creating plays. oh and Mike Green is just BAD.

Old
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Star Athletes need to realize by now that getting married is awful for your performance on the field of play.

It literally happens to evey single one of them.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:49 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Cool vicious 2 handed slash to the ankle by Kovalchuk.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Cool vicious 2 handed slash to the ankle by Kovalchuk.
I hope youre not serious..

Old
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
alcoraces

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Goes up the ice in OT, falls over, Jersey get the puck and score the game winner.

I remember when Ovie used to be terrifying, now it's just a bit sad.
Don't forget the "sort of hustles back and takes the wrong man completely, gets in his own d-mans way, the guy he should have been on gets the puck and passes to Kovalchuk for the win."

I don't ever really care anymore. Trade him while the getting is still good and before he bolts back to Russia.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
TheJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Star Athletes need to realize by now that getting married is awful for your performance on the field of play.

It literally happens to evey single one of them.
Gretzky put up 1318 more points after getting married, including 168 point and 163 point seasons, and a 40 point post season

Old
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
I hope youre not serious..
So what are you denying?

It wasn't even close to his stick and Kovalchuk was looking right at his feet when he did it.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
nazem frattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
That was a sad sight. He looked pretty slow accelerating up the ice prior to losing the puck too. And I thought he turned it around and began dedicating more time to his off ice workouts ever since he got engaged, he said his fiancée's tennis work ethic inspired him. I guess not. Guy looks absolutely horrible, if this was an 82 game season I doubt he'd even crack 60 points....sad...How funny would it be if he fell off so bad that he doesn't even make the Russian 2014 Olympic squad
What? Take it easy guys. Do u watch the games? Just asking.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
RaskY
LLKL's finest

Ovy came into the NHL a kid that was hungry for greatness. He was explosive, fast, exciting, intense, or otherwise played with emotion. He was one of the most skilled forwards to enter the league in a while, and absolutely teared **** apart for a few years.

After a few years, I think he started to get tired. Psychically but also mentally. The Caps were losing year after year in the playoffs despite his best efforts during the season and despite the team having a pretty loaded roster.

I think in 2010 after he failed to win a gold medal in the Olympics and then got eliminated in the first round to Montreal, he became frustrated and started losing that edge that put him one step above everybody else in the league. The organization, IMO, is a mess. The goalies have been wildcards, there has been serious instability behind the bench, but even despite that there had been so much pressure for Washington to win a cup.

Watching him this season (and this also goes back to last season) the look on his face says it all IMO. I know it sounds weird but the guy looks like he's either emotionally strained, or just completely uninterested in playing for Washington.

He's just lost it, but it doesn't mean he can't get it back. I don't know what he's gonna do, but I really really hope he can return to his former self. That would be amazing.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post
Gretzky put up 1318 more points after getting married, including 168 point and 163 point seasons, and a 40 point post season
Great example there naming the best player of all-time, who also married a very attractive and semi-famous, ambitious actress who probably fueled him to be even better....

Old
01-25-2013, 09:03 PM
nazem frattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Ovy came into the NHL a kid that was hungry for greatness. He was explosive, fast, exciting, intense, or otherwise played with emotion. He was one of the most skilled forwards to enter the league in a while, and absolutely teared **** apart for a few years.

After a few years, I think he started to get tired. Psychically but also mentally. The Caps were losing year after year in the playoffs despite his best efforts during the season and despite the team having a pretty loaded roster.

I think in 2010 after he failed to win a gold medal in the Olympics and then got eliminated in the first round to Montreal, he became frustrated and started losing that edge that put him one step above everybody else in the league. The organization, IMO, is a mess. The goalies have been wildcards, there has been serious instability behind the bench, but even despite that there had been so much pressure for Washington to win a cup.

He's just lost it, but it doesn't mean he can't get it back. I don't know what he's gonna do, but I really really hope he can return to his former self. That would be amazing.
Agreed

Old
01-25-2013, 09:08 PM
number72

Ovi = Yashin 2.0

Closed Thread