HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Great example there naming the best player of all-time, who also married a very attractive and semi-famous, ambitious actress who probably fueled him to be even better....
You do realize Ovi has been in a slump for several years and JUST got engaged, right?

Old
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

He looked like he's done in the NHL. I know he's NOT, but he looked like he was just over it. Couldn't be arsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Cool vicious 2 handed slash to the ankle by Kovalchuk.
lol ok

Old
01-25-2013, 09:30 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
Quote:
when was this???

Old
01-25-2013, 09:41 PM
premadonna

Alexander the meh - How the Great has fallen.

Ovie's downfall is just sad. He was one of the most exciting athletes ever in his first years in the league.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Halfwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
when was this???

Apparently this is it

Old
01-25-2013, 09:46 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfwar View Post
Apparently this is it

ooook, someone needs their eyes checked

just look at Ovi backchecking on that video, the guy is completely lost

Old
01-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Nick0930

lol. Bad enough he said it was a two handed slash, he had to say it was a VICIOUS one!

Hartnell's injured, so...#ovidown?

Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

It's amazing how much his shot on net averages have dropped. Averaged 6.7 shots on net in '08-'09, a few seasons later he's at 3.8. Me thinks he needs a change of scenery, but he means a whole lot to that franchise.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
After 5 seasons? Worst reasoning ever.
Ovechkin's game has always been predicable...however in his prime he was so good he could the Art Ross Trophy even being predictable. Now that his overall game and especially his speed has deteriorated, he is just as predictable as always...he just isn't good enough to get away with it anymore.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
Alexander the meh - How the Great has fallen.

Ovie's downfall is just sad. He was one of the most exciting athletes ever in his first years in the league.
Yeah, five great seasons, and two poor seasons compared to that.

I don't think he needs a change of scenery, I think he needs to work on his speed, his puck handling etc. That has all dropped off. In the KHL he had a slow start but he looked like he was slowly finding his mojo once more, however he looked more like the 38 goal scorer from last season than the guy who led the NHL in points per game three seasons in a row. Right now is probably the worst I have ever seen him.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:39 PM
MaximusT

Let's just hope it's just taking him a while to readjust back to NHL. But the guy is lifeless out there, I just don't get it. OV used to be all over the ice, hitting everything in sight. This season I've yet to see him throw the body much at all. He seems completely disinterested, in the 3rd period I saw him going back to the bench for a line change, just casually strolling back. And this was when his team was down 1-2, Im thinking to myself WTF is this guy doing!

It's funny, him and Backie had very solid chemistry this season for Dynamo so I thought the second they return to the Caps, they'll be lighting it up. Boy was I wrong. Both have looked just atrocious.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:45 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
It's amazing how much his shot on net averages have dropped. Averaged 6.7 shots on net in '08-'09, a few seasons later he's at 3.8. Me thinks he needs a change of scenery, but he means a whole lot to that franchise.
Yeah it's pretty crazy for sure.

A few years back, Ovie was the type of player that as soon as he had the puck..you'd hold your breath. As you never knew where he was going to shoot and or score from next.

But now, nope.

Frankly I consider Stamkos and even Giroux bigger offensive threats now.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
MayonnaiseOreo
One Among the Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Ovy came into the NHL a kid that was hungry for greatness. He was explosive, fast, exciting, intense, or otherwise played with emotion. He was one of the most skilled forwards to enter the league in a while, and absolutely teared **** apart for a few years.

After a few years, I think he started to get tired. Psychically but also mentally. The Caps were losing year after year in the playoffs despite his best efforts during the season and despite the team having a pretty loaded roster.

I think in 2010 after he failed to win a gold medal in the Olympics and then got eliminated in the first round to Montreal, he became frustrated and started losing that edge that put him one step above everybody else in the league. The organization, IMO, is a mess. The goalies have been wildcards, there has been serious instability behind the bench, but even despite that there had been so much pressure for Washington to win a cup.

Watching him this season (and this also goes back to last season) the look on his face says it all IMO. I know it sounds weird but the guy looks like he's either emotionally strained, or just completely uninterested in playing for Washington.

He's just lost it, but it doesn't mean he can't get it back. I don't know what he's gonna do, but I really really hope he can return to his former self. That would be amazing.
No wonder he was so good! He was able to read the minds of the defenders and goaltenders because he has psychic powers!

Old
01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
NjDevsRR

Just got back from the game...its sad to see how far Ovy has fallen. I loved watching him on the ice, what a dazzling exciting player he used to play. today he was COMPLETELY invisible, the only time I noticed him was when he fell in overtime. That was it. The NHL has lost one of the most exciting powerful players, hopefully he finds his game sometime soon.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:05 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
He looked like he's done in the NHL. I know he's NOT, but he looked like he was just over it. Couldn't be arsed.

lol ok
Kovalchuk must have slashed him with his mind, from the other side of the rink.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Halfwar

Quote:
The best part about this it wasn't even Kovalchuk, it was Zajac.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Ovechkin is not having fun playing this game anymore. That's what is going on.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:44 PM
MessierII

It seems like that year when the Russians got blown out by Canada at the Olympics and then the caps got upset by the Habs in the first round and then he lost the gold medal game in the worlds he just lost all motivation. He just kind of gave up I guess. His production dropped by 20 points each year since.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
WTF happened to Ovy ? Big fan of his but he just looks disinterested at this point.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
another season or two of what he shown tonight the fans in Washington will be begging for him to get dealt.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:11 AM
GoldenJet89

tough situation. ovi became a phenom in this league and is who you think of when the caps are mentioned. its hard to see him not being a part of the organization

everyone hopes he turns it around but he just looks a shadow of himself. that skill just didnt disappear. but maybe the passion did? if hes disinterested i dont know if a change of scenery would help

i dont think theres any chance of him being moved this year regardless if he continues to not produce. but if it continues to next year that caps might be forced to do something for the better of the franchise. even a slumping/bad ovechkin could likely fetch a 1st rounder plus a first line player. which might be beneficial to the caps in the long run

Old
01-26-2013, 12:26 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
another season or two of what he shown tonight the fans in Washington will be begging for him to get dealt.
LOL...but who's going to want that albatross of a contract?

Old
01-26-2013, 12:55 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Yeah it's pretty crazy for sure.

A few years back, Ovie was the type of player that as soon as he had the puck..you'd hold your breath. As you never knew where he was going to shoot and or score from next.

But now, nope.

Frankly I consider Stamkos and even Giroux bigger offensive threats now.
Damn, yeah I remember those days. I was sweating every time he had the puck. Now I just know the D will stop him. Or have a better chance to haha

Old
01-26-2013, 01:56 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfwar View Post
Apparently this is it

That's hard to watch. Clearly one of his issues is conditioning. That rush up the ice has all the evidence of dead legs. Severely bent over at the waist as he's skating and one little love tap sends him down.

There is two things he needs to do to get back to his former glory. He needs to find a way to rekindle his passion for playing. Without that then nothing else will succeed. He also needs to work hard strength and conditioning and likely live healthier. This of course ties into the passion. If he doesn't have the passion he won't care about the conditioning or being healthier. To me he's obviously not in good hockey shape.

I get the feeling things always came easy to Ovy and I say this as a guy around his age, in fact I'm almost exactly one year younger than him. As I've hit my mid 20's it becomes harder to keep the athleticism that you possessed when your in your teens and early 20's. I remember in high school before basketball practices I would have a pink lemonade and pop tarts and it didn't affect me at all. I couldn't fathom doing that these days. It's still very possible but as you get older you have to work for it and you do that by getting your ass in the gym or on the ice and eating and living more healthy. I mean the guy is only 27 for fricks sake it's certainly possible he just has to work for it. Look at a guy like Selanne; 42 years old but keeps himself in good shape and health and he still can skate the way a lot of 20 something NHL'ers could only dream of.

Last edited by predfan24: 01-26-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 02:04 AM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

It was very clear even a year ago that he was not the same player... Shame because the old Ovechkin brought a lot of excitement to the game

Closed Thread