HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 03:12 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

vCash: 500
Ovechkin needs to start hanging out with some younger guys, maybe their enthusiasm will rub off on him? It's disappointing seeing the most electrifying player become a shell of his former self. I really hope Ovi can get back to where he was. Caps should send him to a sports therapist, get his head on straight again.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:02 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
It's disappointing seeing the most electrifying player become a shell of his former self.
I guess you are happy now though. No glass jumps or what you didn't like.

Quote:
That rush up the ice has all the evidence of dead legs. Severely bent over at the waist as he's skating and one little love tap sends him down.
This has actually always been his skating style, and little tap or not, it should've been a penalty I think.
Same **** happened in the Habs game. Ovechkin puts a bit of a shoulder on Markov - Andrfei flies away. Interference call. But they will never call interference against AO unless it's worth a charging major.

Last edited by DaveG: 01-26-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 04:06 AM
Parise9Crosby87

i use to like ov alot then i stopped but i never wanted to see him do this bad

Old
01-26-2013, 04:13 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

Guy got paid, started phoning it in. At least that's how I see it.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:01 AM
premadonna

Old
01-26-2013, 05:06 AM
awesomo
HARD!

nah they just wanted him to become crosby. cool, calm, collected

Old
01-26-2013, 05:11 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I really want to see him on a new team, I really think he needs a change of scenery, even though he's not on my team it kills me to see such raw talent and passion disappear. He needs a team and fast.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Mister Hockey

I never cared for AO. They used feed him the puck on every shift. I think he was the only one that got a shot if he was on the ice.

Well, it changed. That's one reason his production went down.

Plus, I never cared for his dirty play. I never seen a player leave his skates more than him.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
He's been past his prime for a couple years. A player's prime is generally ages 22-25

Old
01-26-2013, 07:50 AM
solitary

They need to utilize an offensive system. You have one the greatest offensive players in the world and you're playing a defensive system? Get real Washington.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Hockey View Post
I never cared for AO. They used feed him the puck on every shift. I think he was the only one that got a shot if he was on the ice.

Yeah, who needs to feed a 65 goal scorer with pucks, what a great idea

Last edited by Acallabeth: 01-26-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Hockey View Post

Plus, I never cared for his dirty play. I never seen a player leave his skates more than him.
I dunno what you're talking about... he's just so huge and fast when he lays people out they go flying! Nothing cheap about it... just impressive. I miss that OV

Old
01-26-2013, 07:56 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Seems like he doesn't have that drive and passion anymore.

Too much cash too fast?

At his peak he was clearly the most exciting player of NHL

Old
01-26-2013, 07:57 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
That's hard to watch. Clearly one of his issues is conditioning. That rush up the ice has all the evidence of dead legs. Severely bent over at the waist as he's skating and one little love tap sends him down.

There is two things he needs to do to get back to his former glory. He needs to find a way to rekindle his passion for playing. Without that then nothing else will succeed. He also needs to work hard strength and conditioning and likely live healthier. This of course ties into the passion. If he doesn't have the passion he won't care about the conditioning or being healthier. To me he's obviously not in good hockey shape.

I get the feeling things always came easy to Ovy and I say this as a guy around his age, in fact I'm almost exactly one year younger than him. As I've hit my mid 20's it becomes harder to keep the athleticism that you possessed when your in your teens and early 20's. I remember in high school before basketball practices I would have a pink lemonade and pop tarts and it didn't affect me at all. I couldn't fathom doing that these days. It's still very possible but as you get older you have to work for it and you do that by getting your ass in the gym or on the ice and eating and living more healthy. I mean the guy is only 27 for fricks sake it's certainly possible he just has to work for it. Look at a guy like Selanne; 42 years old but keeps himself in good shape and health and he still can skate the way a lot of 20 something NHL'ers could only dream of.
Was that at the end of his shift though? Or an extended shift?

Old
01-26-2013, 08:20 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
Guy got paid, started phoning it in. At least that's how I see it.
Which is why some teams, the Habs for example, like to do those bridge contracts, Ovechkin was 22? when he started getting paid close to 10M$ a year, very few people can handle that the right way and keep their eye on the ball.

That being said, I'm an Ovechkin fan and can't wait to see him get back to form.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:21 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Hasn't been the same since the Olympics...

Old
01-26-2013, 08:22 AM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Ovechkin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that has much of a drive to improve. He seemed content to just be the same player and get by on his combo of size and skill. Unfortunately, in pro sports, that kind of mentality has a way of catching up with a person. As great as Ovechkin was(and still can be imo), he wasn't so great that he could get away with resting on his laurels.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Same **** happened in the Habs game. Ovechkin puts a bit of a shoulder on Markov - Andrfei flies away. Interference call. But they will never call interference against AO unless it's worth a charging major.
Actually he slew footed Markov. Thanks for not resorting to hyperbole, though...

Quote:
FORMER 65 goal scorer.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I dunno what you're talking about... he's just so huge and fast when he lays people out they go flying! Nothing cheap about it... just impressive. I miss that OV
Gee, I guess they suspend players for that.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
I have been to and seen many Caps games. The first few years the O was to just feed AO the puck. When they stopped, his goals went down.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:14 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

In my honest opinion, he was too much in love with himself and not in the game or getting better at it from a personal or team standpoint. Guys like that flash brightly and burn out fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
They need to utilize an offensive system. You have one the greatest offensive players in the world and you're playing a defensive system? Get real Washington.
This is a common reason that people claim to be his problem. As someone who watches Caps game, his problem is NOT due to a concerted effort to defence, believe me.

I wish I had the energy to go and find all the threads I got bashed in where I called his downfall within a few years.

Didn't anyone else see this coming?

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-26-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
01-26-2013, 11:21 AM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He's been past his prime for a couple years. A player's prime is generally ages 22-25
So untrue. Not that he's past his prime, but that the prime of a player is 22-25.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:27 AM
newerabegins

i think there are 2 solutions to the problem to at least see ovechkin be a 40-goal scorer again. the capitals NEED to re-tool. and by that i mean ship some people out and get YOUNGER. i dont care who you trade even if its mike green. keep carlson, alzner on the backend and build from there with young players and a veteran or two. then for the forward corps is where it gets tricky. IMHO, they're whole bottom six should be filled with young players looking to prove themselves and that play with passion and energy. kind of like what ottawa has. maybe one veteran or two tops. then the top six i would keep ribeiro and backstrom for now, even though they have DEFINITELY not shown any dedication to the team. they both have looked very lazy and to me ovie has not looked unmotivated its more his linemates and the whole team atmosphere that could be bringing him down. as for the wingers what the hell is brouwer doing there even beagle would be a better fit...

anyways what im trying to say is that ovie should be surrounded by a youth injection and the GM should get rid of all the old and/or unmotivated players. that could seriously help out ovie.

my second solution is simply to trade him away. the caps will get a HUGE return. they could get a 30-40 goal scorer, a high pick, and another top-six forward at the very least and IMO that would IMPROVE their team with forsberg and maybe kuznetsov coming in as well. with a change of scenery ovie could be revamped again. but its true that that contract is a poison.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:07 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfwar View Post
Apparently this is it

Forget for a minute how much he's visibly straining to try to accelerate here or that he falls down and turns the puck over.

What is he even thinking on this play? He's burning all this fuel to get through the neutral zone, but the rest of the Capitals are going for a line change, so there are 3 Devils in excellent defensive position ahead of him and a fourth providing back pressure. Short of Lidstroming it in from center ice, there's not even a theoretical play here.

He did the same thing in the second--through the neutral zone alone, went one on three at the same spot and telegraphed a shot--one Devil pokechecked him and another one knocked him flat on his ass that time.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Forget for a minute how much he's visibly straining to try to accelerate here or that he falls down and turns the puck over.

What is he even thinking on this play? He's burning all this fuel to get through the neutral zone, but the rest of the Capitals are going for a line change, so there are 3 Devils in excellent defensive position ahead of him and a fourth providing back pressure. Short of Lidstroming it in from center ice, there's not even a theoretical play here.

He did the same thing in the second--through the neutral zone alone, went one on three at the same spot and telegraphed a shot--one Devil pokechecked him and another one knocked him flat on his ass that time.
Then he is late on the back check and upon his arrival overcompensates by collapsing too low in the zone, which leaves his defensive assignment open to make an easy pass to Kovalchuk for GWG in OT.

Closed Thread