HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Qvist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDad View Post
Not the best assessment. While statistically correct, the numbers dont tell the whole story.
Bossy had a 60+ goal season with 29, very close stats to his peak season.
Brett Hull didnt simply peak at 27, he just lost Adam Oates who made Neely score 50 in 50 afterwards.
Bure had back to back 58 and 59 goal seasons being 29 and 30, in the middle of the dead puck era, definitely more impressive than his 2 60 goals seasons years before it.
Phil Esposito had extremely good seasons with 32 and 33 and started declining only after that.
Robitaille had a goal outburst during the famous 92-93 season where everebodies stats went trough the roof and he had Gretzky on his side. Robitaille still had very good seasons with 35, staying over PPG during dead puck era that late in his career.
Bobby Hull scored 50 goals in his last NHL season before WHL being 33 and 77 goals in WHL being 36.
Ciccarelli had nearly had his best season with 27 and was on pace to repeat that the year after.
Keith Tkachuk entered the dead puck era with 25 and his stats dropped accordingly.

So no, Ovechkin is not simply following the track of the great goal scorers who peaked early.
Ovechkins wheels fell off for no reason we know about, no considerably injuries or something else.
The same thing happened with Green, Backstrom and Semin, so the reason must lay within the Washington system. Something happened there.. either they need to blow up the team because something is dead there or they stopped using some doping or whatever they used earlier. I dont know whats going on there, but every single star player they had went to **** statistically within only 3 years.
Did you actually read that post through to where the conclusion was made? Of course numbers don't tell the whole story. I am simply listing the age at which these players' career years occurred, which is sufficient to show that even on the simplistic basis put forward by the poster, experience does not support his claim. The basic point being exactly the same as yours, namely that it is clearly spurious and unfounded to asssume Ovie's past his prime for no better reaon than that he is 26.

Incidentally, If I remember correctly, Robitaille didn't usually have Gretzky for a linemate in 92/93.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:05 PM
dahlenrules

roar

Old
01-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Nolanitis

Hope this is not the case. As a hockey fan, not Caps fan, the NHL misses his dominance and charisma. I hope he can rebound and put up some numbers

Old
01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Bieksa#3

He's scored a goal tonight but other than the goal itself he's not really been doing much out there

Old
01-27-2013, 04:18 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksa#3 View Post
He's scored a goal tonight but other than the goal itself he's not really been doing much out there
He's been doing pretty good today actually

Old
01-27-2013, 04:23 PM
PsychoDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
Did you actually read that post through to where the conclusion was made? Of course numbers don't tell the whole story. I am simply listing the age at which these players' career years occurred, which is sufficient to show that even on the simplistic basis put forward by the poster, experience does not support his claim. The basic point being exactly the same as yours, namely that it is clearly spurious and unfounded to asssume Ovie's past his prime for no better reaon than that he is 26.

Incidentally, If I remember correctly, Robitaille didn't usually have Gretzky for a linemate in 92/93.
I really didn't read your post to the end, my bad. Still, I wanted to point out that even the whole "statistical peak" argument is moot because while pure numbers dont lie, a lot of great players managed to maintain a high scoring plateau up or beyond the 30th birthday. Ovechkin and other Washington players like Green got so much worse statistically that is has to be a global reason.

And yes, Gretzky was injured for a half of the 92/93, this is true. Still, 92/93 season was a statistical anomaly for a lot of players, hell even Adam Oates almost scored 50.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
Ovi hits the goal post on an empty net

Old
01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

he missed an empty net!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Ovechkin just missed a goal on the empty net from the blue line... Actually he had passed the blue line and was at the top of the circle...

Old
01-27-2013, 04:30 PM
NewFang

Dam, missed the empty net? That's his bread & butter.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Not true, he hasn't scored an empty net in like a year now. Going for empty nets is what selfish players do and Ovechkin is anything but.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-27-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 04:57 PM
hadrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Not true, he has scored an empty net in like a year now. Going for empty nets is what selfish players do and Ovechkin is anything but.
Sure looked like he was going for one at the end there.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:59 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
lol so true

Old
01-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrian View Post
Sure looked like he was going for one at the end there.
That was a dump disguised as an empty net shot. He's trying to disguise how unselfish he is for the benefit of the team. Think ending of the Dark Knight.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:03 PM
highandwide
It's gold Jerry.

as a hockey fan, his play was refreshing and exciting, I actually liked him a lot, now not so much.... I can't look past the diving and leaving his feet especially when his play is not thrilling...

Old
01-27-2013, 05:04 PM
None Four One

Watch out Marleau, he's ROARING back!

Why is there no thread on this game? GWG... and only -1!

Old
01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He finally scored. But it wasn't the usual AO super-rocket like in the past.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:56 AM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandwide View Post
as a hockey fan, his play was refreshing and exciting, I actually liked him a lot, now not so much.... I can't look past the diving and leaving his feet especially when his play is not thrilling...
He hasn't done either of those in a while actually, because he has had almost no edge to any part of his game.

The total homers think he didn't have a good game today, despite scoring. In reality, he actually played pretty good, and the Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer line looked good mostly as well.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:09 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
He hasn't done either of those in a while actually, because he has had almost no edge to any part of his game.

The total homers think he didn't have a good game today, despite scoring. In reality, he actually played pretty good, and the Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer line looked good mostly as well.
doesnt he already have a diving penalty this year? Or is 5 games ago too far back an considered a while?

Old
01-28-2013, 06:14 AM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
doesnt he already have a diving penalty this year? Or is 5 games ago too far back an considered a while?
Maybe, have other things besides hockey to do so I don't know every penalty.

Even if he does have a penalty for it; he(and Crosby) used to dive a lot more.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Riddum

This is one of the saddest interviews I have ever seen. You can't help but feel bad for the guy. Then again he's rich as **** and has a smoking hot wifey lol.

http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.ca/2013...r-morning.html

Old
02-04-2013, 09:31 PM
AD1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
This is one of the saddest interviews I have ever seen. You can't help but feel bad for the guy. Then again he's rich as **** and has a smoking hot wifey lol.

http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.ca/2013...r-morning.html
I miss old Ovie. Don't understand why people are getting such a kick out of him struggling.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:35 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
Maybe, have other things besides hockey to do so I don't know every penalty.

Even if he does have a penalty for it; he(and Crosby) used to dive a lot more.
Is there any way to research this to find out who actually has more diving penalties against them, Crosby or Ovechkin?

I honestly don't know, but I am pretty sure Crosby has never been called for it, and Ovechkin has been called a few times. But I would like some hard data if anyone knows how to access those details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post
I miss old Ovie. Don't understand why people are getting such a kick out of him struggling.
I am not getting a kick out of it, but I do like the fact that what I predicted several years ago is coming true. I always said he was a tremendous talent with no interest in refining his game and adapting to changes. He wants to do it his way whether it works or not. He is still a great talent who could turn it around if he adjusted a few qualities of his game, but I am guessing he won't. He'll end up getting frustrated, everyone will blame the coaches, and he'll move back home to play out the rest of his career.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post
As a Pens fan I actually don't like it. I know that's odd, but hating him for his physical prowess as well as goal scoring ability made us playing/watching the Caps/watching fun.

Only reason I do like it is for the people saying how he was just so much clearly better than Malkin and it was just a no brainer to take him. While I do think at the time he was indeed the better pick, people made Malkin seem far inferior just because he is a Pen (and we know how much everyone hates the Pens).

Old
02-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Eple

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post

I am not getting a kick out of it, but I do like the fact that what I predicted several years ago is coming true.
That's a kick right there

But seriously I want Ovechkin to come back, I really thought this would be the year. He still has time to turn it around but I doubt he'll ever contend for Hart again.

Closed Thread