HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 -all discussion IN HERE *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
StumpNYI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
You can't have your logo be a map of where you play, and where you play isn't on the map.

Laws tweak to the logo is perfect. it shouldn't offend anyone & it includes Brooklyn & Queens
Almost, the "I" doesn't point to Barclay's Center.

Old
8bitHockey

I've been to the arena for a Nets preseason game. The arena and atmosphere/crowd was very good. I don't know how they're going to fit a rink in there because the floor area for the court was very small. If you remember the layout for the proposed Isles-Devils preseason game, about 3/4 of the arena would be empty because the sight lines would be bad (obstructed).

Old
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

From an LI native, congrats Isles fans!

Old
10-24-2012, 11:45 AM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Hug the next Nordique fan you see

Eat it, Quebec, WE'RE IN A BIG MARKET NOW!!!!!

Old
10-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
are you serious? plenty of players have said it was a factor
Must have missed it. Show me. I know Wang and Snow said it but never heard a player utter it.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Brunomics

http://crosstownny.bigcartel.com/pro...rooklyn-hockey

First Brooklyn Hockey shirt already out lol. Doesn't say Islanders but it's still pretty sweet.

Old
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
I dont see the Islanders being a success in Brooklyn

Brooklyn has their team, it is the Nets

I could see if they moved the Islanders to Queens, and you could have an identity there
Even though I belive Queens is the best location for this team since that would have allowed Wang to grow the capital on the franchise, I think the NYC councillors and mayors were not interested in building a publicly funded arena in Queens.

A move to Brooklyn likely means Wang will sell the franchise a few years after moving there in 2015 if not sooner.

Old
SouthShore91

Not reading through all the posts cause it's so long already. This is the definition of mixed emotions for me. I love the Islanders but this is not necessarily the ones I fell in love with as a kid. I fell in love with them because they weren't the cities team, they were our team. As I grew older I grew to love this tradition, and understand both the economic and symbolic importance of a team on Long Island. Some people are applauding this move, saying it's great that we can take the train now and they will get recognition. But the fact of the matter is those 4 Stanley Cups belonged to Long Island, not the city. And I wanted to see another Cup come to Long Island and a parade down Hempstead Turnpike, not rolling by MSG. I love this team, I love drinking 40s in the Coliseum parking lot. I love coming around the bend and seeing the old barn get bigger and bigger as I approach. And today I am sad.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Hearing this softens the lockout a bit

Old
10-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
no words to describe how depressing this
Depressing? This is excellent news. Depressing would be spending one more minute in Nassau, then we have too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Check out these Logo ideas!!

MAn they are going to make a killing with these logos!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...9123--nhl.html
They look good. And damn they're quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
I love the select few Islanders fans saying this horrible, depressing, etc...What if they moved to Seattle, Vegas, Kansas City, or Quebec? Would you blow your brains out?

Stop whining and be thankful the team is still in NY.
My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
Ed Mangano (@edmangano)
Posted Wednesday 24th October 2012 from Twitlonger

No one has done more to retain the New York Islanders than my administration. I have supported various proposals to redevelop the HUB including a public referendum in which voters chose not to construct a new sports arena. Its sad and unfortunate that political opponents chose to oppose my plan and instead continued to support the Culture of NO on Long Island.

Sorry Ed your own people screwed you and Wang got tired of waiting for Nassau to get its act together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Done.

Excellent Law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Isles are trending on the twitter...our isles...and not bc of an awful contract or trade or pick...i did NOT expect this when i woke up this morning
Miracles can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
From an LI native, congrats Isles fans!
Thanks!

10-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
You seem to forget (or not realize) that most of the Rangers fans attending games at the Coliseum live on Long Island. Not all Rangers fans live in the city.

As for selling out, winning cures everything. Islanders have routinely sold out games when they were good. Ever try to get tickets during the Cup years? When they are losing, nobody wants to go. Same applies to nearly every team in sports. If the Islanders are good on the ice, Brooklyn will be sold out. By 2015, with all their young talent, and newfound cash flow (and desirability) for free agents, you can expect the Islanders to be very good.
You are right, but there are way more Rags fans in Brooklyn and it is now easier for them to invade. As for selling out, winning will sell the building you are right. However, in all this hub bub I must have missed the part where Wang said he is going to open the pocketbook and start bringing in real talent.

Can you link me to that?

Old
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

So game 1 will be against the Rangers, right? There is no other choice really and I know I'll do everything I can to be there that night!

Old
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Original Rob

I'm thrilled that they appear to be staying in NY for the long-term. But part of the fun of being an Islander fan is that it kind of is like a select club of people who generally love the sport and must love the team to keep supporting the madness over the years. With a move to Brooklyn the fan base could be saturated and being an Islander fan won't quite have the same meaning. I feel a certain undefinable bond with my few fellow Islander fans out there; how will it feel to have a bunch of hipsters and corporate luxury box beneficiaries buying the available tickets?

Old
10-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
While Law's version may be more detiled, the current logo includes Bklyn and Queens with the blue part of the "I" representing Jamaica Bay. You have to remember the original logo was a cocktail napkin desing done in all of 10 mins back in '72.
Current does not include Brooklyn/Queens and the 'I' points to Uniondale.

#themoreyouknow

Old
10-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Islanders1932

Whats even better is that maybe we will get rid of that disgusting alternate jersey for a new Brooklyn one

Old
10-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
So game 1 will be against the Rangers, right? There is no other choice really and I know I'll do everything I can to be there that night!
I'd rather it not be vs the Rangers. i don't want to see the arena full of Ranger fans on game 1.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
JTforPres2012

Screen Shot 2012-10-24 at 12.50.32 PM.png

Well would you look at that!!

Old
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Bert Marshall days

Ratner will be taking a minority interest in the Islanders

This is awesome!!

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/10/24/...center-in-2015

Old
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Bones45

****! we even made CNN.com!

Old
10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Current does not include Brooklyn/Queens and the 'I' points to Uniondale.

#themoreyouknow
As a fan since '72 that's the first i have ever heard that one! Where'd that come from?

Old
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Rob View Post
I'm thrilled that they appear to be staying in NY for the long-term. But part of the fun of being an Islander fan is that it kind of is like a select club of people who generally love the sport and must love the team to keep supporting the madness over the years. With a move to Brooklyn the fan base could be saturated and being an Islander fan won't quite have the same meaning. I feel a certain undefinable bond with my few fellow Islander fans out there; how will it feel to have a bunch of hipsters and corporate luxury box beneficiaries buying the available tickets?
I for one can't wait until the day someone accuses me of being a bandwagoner for the Islanders.

If the Islanders start winning games, you can bet we'll get new fans. New fans = more revenue = Wang spends on free agents = better team. I'm tired of being in an exclusive group of sadsack Isles fans.

Old
Nyisles016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
Not reading through all the posts cause it's so long already. This is the definition of mixed emotions for me. I love the Islanders but this is not necessarily the ones I fell in love with as a kid. I fell in love with them because they weren't the cities team, they were our team. As I grew older I grew to love this tradition, and understand both the economic and symbolic importance of a team on Long Island. Some people are applauding this move, saying it's great that we can take the train now and they will get recognition. But the fact of the matter is those 4 Stanley Cups belonged to Long Island, not the city. And I wanted to see another Cup come to Long Island and a parade down Hempstead Turnpike, not rolling by MSG. I love this team, I love drinking 40s in the Coliseum parking lot. I love coming around the bend and seeing the old barn get bigger and bigger as I approach. And today I am sad.
I am with you 110%. I guess it beats the alternative, but this news is not what I was hoping for

Old
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
IslanderPride
Fire & Ice

Isles announce they will be moving their practices from icework LI to Aviator sport complex Floyd Bennitt Field in Brooklyn lol joking

Old
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Ratner will be taking a minority interest in the Islanders

This is awesome!!

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/10/24/...center-in-2015
Please stop!

I can't take this much good news at one time.

My heart may stop!

Old
Bones45

FEED IS UP!!

http://video.islanders.nhl.com/video...188738&lang=en

Closed Thread