HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 -all discussion IN HERE *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 11:08 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

vCash: 500
Now the Quebec fans can shut up about trying to steal your franchise. Congrats guys!

Old
10-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Now the Quebec fans can shut up about trying to steal your franchise. Congrats guys!
Thanks! This is one of my favorite parts of the news today. I quickly moved from elation that the Islanders were staying to satisfaction that those vultures can stop casually throwing "NYI" into discussion about their latest plan.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:16 PM
OpAck

Someone with excellent photoshop skills has got to make a pic of the Coliseum with "Nassau Flea Market" on it.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Saw this interesting patch concept on a Devils fan website:

Old
10-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Bert Marshall days

Lots of Isles talk on WFAN radio now.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:18 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Lots of Isles talk on WFAN radio now.
Will be on in a minute..John from Lynbrook

10-25-2012, 12:22 AM
puckhead1985
Rookie User

Here's Wang interview with MSG today

http://www.msg.com/videos/wang-on-is...-brooklyn.html

Last edited by puckhead1985: 10-25-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Embed Didn't Work
Old
10-25-2012, 12:33 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Can we all breath a collective sigh of relief?

My order of feelings about this:
1- I don't want to get too elated. I half expect a followup "BUT" message to come with some negatives.
2- I am extremely pleased Wang found a way to tell Nassau to go bump itself. They won't replace the revenue, and I hope they enjoy their lost tax base.
3- The Isles should benefit greatly from increased corporate sponsorship now that they are in the city.
4- I am disappointed Suffolk is too disjointed to have seen and acted on this opportunity.
5- Is it physically possible to route a train from Barclays to one of the Suffolk lines?
6- This beats moving out of state.
7- It was "nice" of Newsday to write an "I bet Nassau can live without the Islanders" article before the day was out. So much for unbiased journalism.
8- I still want Wang to sell the club, and this does zero to change that feeling. I do want to see him put his money where his mouth is though and finally spend a little now that "home" has been established.

Good for Wang for finding an alternative, regardless. I hope they can retrofit the place for 360 seating.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 10-25-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 12:37 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you

Old
10-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Just wanted to come over and congratulate you guys on keeping the team in the area!

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
10-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Is Deena moving in with us? God, I hope not.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:31 AM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Let's just say we BOTH agree. If we don't gain fans permanently to replace those who will not commute, the team, with its finances, is in danger of relocating or folding if this does not work. And a 25 year lease tells me which one to expect.
Im sorry but you keep talking about the ranger fans taking over. I became a fan in '95. In 97 i bought a VHS (crazy i know), about the history of the islanders.

One thing that stuck with me, was Nystroms comment, and the early years of the isles. In this comment, he talked about the early years of the NVMC, and how it was a home away from home for Ranger fans in the beginning. He talks about a Isles-Ranger game, where Isles fans were none existent. "We need to change this now" (Nystrom). As you have referenced, and i agree with, we will see a large influx of Ranger fans. I; as I am sure other isles fans agree with, Hope History Repeats Itself.

I will miss the history, and memories I have at the old "barn", but whether its a new arena in Naussa, or the Barclay center, its still is a New Arena. Lossing NVMC hurts either way.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:33 AM
GutchBoring13

Send a message via AIM to GutchBoring13
DUDE
Check this video at 1:52...how long had they been working on this deal?
http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/25/34...ena-tour-video

Old
10-25-2012, 01:39 AM
OlTimeHockey

I just rewatched Wanger's presser and will wager he is going to sell very soon, and use the HUB development rights he has before 2015. To do so, I believe he has to retain some interest in the Isles to have the rights tot he lease, so......I'm wondering if and how this will play out. Watch when he thanks Mangano again.....if he's out, with no leverage or right in 2015, why say he's going to continue to wok with Mangano on the HUB development?

Old
10-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Frankie41987

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutchBoring13 View Post
DUDE
Check this video at 1:52...how long had they been working on this deal?
http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/25/34...ena-tour-video
Above the isles logo, it says "upcoming events" which was probably referring to the pre-season game with the devils that had been planned for a while

Old
10-25-2012, 02:16 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bride of Chuckie View Post
Is Deena moving in with us? God, I hope not.
If the Isles intend to really make Brooklyn work, then the minor league game entertainment that panders to the parents crowd will be sacrificed.

If Wang really gets it, then he will NOT do a turn key operation in moving the Isles from one building to another. Actually, the Isles will have to undergo a signifcant marketing plan to expand the fan base and infiltrate NYC to make it work.

Isles will get major corporate sponsors (aka cash), which should incentivize Wang to put forth a real on ice product.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:18 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Flyers fan sending his congratulations!

I am stoked for you guys the team is staying in the area. Would have been a god damn travesty if an organization with such history was to be relocated to Quebec like all the QC marks were gunning for. Would have been as disgusting as when the Sonics were moved to OKC.

Hoping by the time (or sooner) the move to Brooklyn comes the Isles will be competitive and I can have a reason to hate you guys again

Old
10-25-2012, 02:22 AM
LotteryForLife*

I have to ask what undoubtably is the most important question. The arena the Islanders are moving to is clearly not built for hockey. The sight lines and overall capacity are a huge issue. Does anyone know if they intend to address these concerns and what the plan is?

Old
10-25-2012, 02:23 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleOkposo View Post
Will be on in a minute..John from Lynbrook
I heard you. Nice job.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I have to ask what undoubtably is the most important question. The arena the Islanders are moving to is clearly not built for hockey. The sight lines and overall capacity are a huge issue. Does anyone know if they intend to address these concerns and what the plan is?
How do you know the sight lines are an issue? I was there monday for a concert, sat in the nosebleeds and felt like I was on top of the floor with a great view I haven't experienced in any arena. The arena is intimate and built straight up and narrow.

Capacity will be increased by 500-1K seats by 2015 per Wang/Bettman. That leaves the arena just about 700 seats short of what the Coliseum holds now. Look at Winnipeg. With a 25 year lease, expanding the building might not be out of the question down the road.

The thing about Barclays that people need to realize, is that while the hockey capacity is low the arena is still a money maker via additional revenue. Barclays Center has 104 suites, which is more than nearly any building in the league, outside of the real marquee teams, over 3,000 club seats, and a slew of clubs, restaurants, bars, stores ETC.

So while capacity wise, Barclays center lines up with the smallest arenas in the league, in terms of big money amenities that really drive a franchise, it ranks on the same level as arenas like the ACC, Wells Fargo, TD Garden and post-renovation MSG. So where it really matters in terms of franchise viability, Barclays is absolutely a "big-time" money making arena.

Kudos to 102.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:40 AM
kpap57

Quote:
With a 25 year lease in place, i really can not imagine that some renovations wouldnt be in place. Im sure it will be a split deal between Wang and Ratner. Increases revenue and attendence for both hockey and basketball. Especially if Ratner has long term plans of owning the islanders.

I think its safe to assume between next summer and the summer after, BC will be getting ready for the arrival of hockey and the Islanders.

EDIT: I also think that is why this deal was anounced 3 yrs before the isles old lease expired, as well as the commitment for 25 yrs. Its gives BC enough time to make the proper accommodations, with the commitment to make the spending worth it.

Last edited by kpap57: 10-25-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 02:53 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
They are going to tear down the bedpan looking arena and put in a catheter design that fits a rink.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:58 AM
islandersfan1677

Last edited by islandersfan1677: 10-25-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 03:37 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

Well this is pretty cool news. I'm really excited the Islanders are staying in New York, that's first and foremost. Although I am a little saddened they couldn't stay in Nassau, I really wanted that to work out. This now gives me another excuse to live in Brooklyn if I move back up.

Although I love the name and logo, now it doesn't make as much sense. Yes, technically Brooklyn is on Long Island, but it isn't thought of like that at all. No one says, yeah I live in Long Island if they live in Park Slope. And despite this being my favorite team in my favorite sport and not being a big fan of changes, this would make sense. I wouldn't care if they use Brooklyn or New York, I'd prefer New York though. But the logo now doesn't make sense and the name doesn't fit as much. I LOVE the colors and don't want to see those go, and as someone else stated with them matching the NYC flag it's cool. But I would like to see a name and logo change. It's a start of something new, let's refresh it.

I never say that either. I hate usually when teams make changes like that. The Rays dropping Devil was one of the most moronic things ever. This just seems to make more sense to me though. I think we have one of the best logos in the league, I love it and love telling people how the I points to the Coliseum. But it's not going to make as much sense in 2015.

I really hope Wang decides to spend some money, but if not I hope he sells and someone comes in to fix this team as that is the main concern. I don't want the same BS in a new arena. I prefered the idea of having our own arena too, I hate basketball so that does nothing for me. Plus the Nets will still be the main part of the arena with the Isles an afterthought in terms of colors, design, logo use etc.

Lastly, what's up with the Hello Brooklyn thing. I see it for the Nets shirts and stuff. What am I missing? Is this a phrase started by Jay-Z when he got the deal for Brooklyn or what? I feel lost on this one lol.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:11 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves View Post
JP, the least you could have done when making the jersey was to have Tavares wearing it.

I have no idea who "Player" is and why he wears number 97
Well I can('t) see the future, and this player is Chris Kreider, book it

By the way,Quebec City get's Phoenix's franchise.

Closed Thread