HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 -all discussion IN HERE *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Darth Bangkok

vCash: 500
Happy Happy Joy Joy.

What does this mean regarding Wang's ownership of the team though? Does he start running it for real now? Or is it still somehow a pawn in his real estate fantasies?

Old
10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
macleod50

So the inevitable finally happened.

Suck it Nassau.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Ill write on this is greater detail, but THRILLED that the team will remain "local."

My hope is that they will REMAIN as the "New York Islanders" and not the "Brooklyn Islanders" The franchise name is important, and I hope the deal CBW cut maintains it. If they become the "Brooklyn Islanders" it would be disappointing but not horrible.

This is the day, I hope Nassau voters finally come to understand something. Your vote is not to be wasted. You need to be sure that you elect intelligent people who have some kind of brains.

The county has lost millions upon millions of dollars in lost revenue. Thousands of jobs, and now has a monument to its failures in the vacant NVMC (shameful that vets name is on a disaster zone as they deserve far more)

So whats next on that spot.... more housing? another mall?

The failure of Kate Murray in particular here is gigantic. I have little hope that Town of Hempstead voters will see it through and can her gigantic rear end, along with every single member of her Town Board.

Further, this is a massive failure on the part of Ed Mangano, the entire Nassau legislature and to some degree Tom Suozzi and Jay Jacobs. Jacobs influenced votes, and could have rallied his caucus differently to work out a deal. Suozzi tried, and got it through the County when he likely knew Murray would stop anything that he tried.

Shame for those of us in Nassau who will likely see a big tax hike now that the Isles are gone! Still, to see this all come down on Murray and Mangano is a measure of justice.

Next time, be careful that you don't elect empty suits, and listen for the details and facts... not ambiguous and empty promises with no substance.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
OpAck

I had a self-imposed NHL jersey wearing ban since the lockout started. I break that ban, at least for a couple days. Putting on the blue and orange!

Old
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
So the inevitable finally happened.

Suck it Nassau.
It did look inevitable...except to one particularly verbose poster who shockingly hasn't yet commented on this thread

Any idea if Wang is selling part of the team to Ratner?

Old
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Hey, some of my best work is in there!!
Doesn't mean it won't exist It'll just get a little buried.

Old
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
Im a big Isles fan living in Westchester County, so technically this "move" does not affect me as far as travel distance. About the same time, just headed in the other direction.

However, I have to say I am a bit shocked that there seems to be not even any bittersweet comments in this thread. All of this team's history is on Long Island and what made them so great and different than the Rags was the small town feel of it. The cup parades down Hempstead turnpike not through Manhattan (or in this case Brooklyn).

I am certainly happy they are staying in NY, but there has to be some level of disappointment about this and I cannot wait to hear what Nassau County has to say.

Last thing, they definitely need to be either 1st choice) New York Islanders or 2nd choice) Brooklyn Islanders with the exact same logo and colors.

I am sorry, but anybody who writes they dont care if they change the team name, there is no way you can be a true fan of the franchise if you say that.
I would normally agree with you, but after getting kicked around for so long as Islanders fans with the uncertainty of the existence of our team past 2015, I don't think I'll be able to feel nostalgic for quite awhile if ever!

Keeping the proper team name, the logo and the colors will certainly be away to stave it off though. I'm with you, I don't want any of those things to change.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Gratz

Old
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Hearing the Islanders at the insistence of the NHL will keep the name AS IS.... TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!!!!!

YES!

Old
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
The county has lost millions upon millions of dollars in lost revenue. Thousands of jobs, and now has a monument to its failures in the vacant NVMC (shameful that vets name is on a disaster zone as they deserve far more)
Actually, it's about as appropriate a representation of the treatment of veterans as you could get. Abandoned and left to fend on its own.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Actually, it's about as appropriate a representation of the treatment of veterans as you could get. Abandoned and left to fend on its own.
As someone that was not around for the Cups, I can easily say this is the best news I've heard yet as a fan. Let's go Islanders!!!

Old
10-24-2012, 11:32 AM
StrongIslanders90

Keep name and Colors plaese, but beggers cant be choosers....

You get an Isles Jersey on Jay-z and your brand will be flying of the shelves...IMHO this is great for the franchise because now Ratner will have an interest and Barclays will benifiet from the Isles doing good.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Islanders1932

Old
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31 View Post
It did look inevitable...except to one particularly verbose poster who shockingly hasn't yet commented on this thread

Any idea if Wang is selling part of the team to Ratner?
I was one of those who had more than one encounter with this poster (including being laughed at when I suggested that Barclays could be made more hockey friendly)

But.......

A point of view was held and held true to until the end.

You have to respect that.

We are all Islander fans.

Old
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Congrats guys but Barclays only holds 14,500 for hockey, doesn't it? That could cause problems down the road unless they renovate but still, it's good that the Islanders are staying NY where they belong and still on the Island so they will likely keep the Islanders name.

Old
YashinWorksHard

I think change the logo can be good, may represent a new era. Other teams have changed their logo along history. But only the logo.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Islanderfan17

It's sad to think that we are leaving the Coliseum after all the history that has happened there, but my god am I happy to say that the Islanders will be alive and kicking after 2015! Seriously about to cry tears of a whole bunch of mixed emotions right now

Old
10-24-2012, 11:35 AM
BMOK33

Problem is getting there from LI....I'd imagine driving is easier than public transit.

Old
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Congrats guys but Barclays only holds 14,500 for hockey, doesn't it? That could cause problems down the road unless they renovate but still, it's good that the Islanders are staying NY where they belong and still on the Island so they will likely keep the Islanders name.
That 14,500 capacity can be increased, now that it's official... I'm sure it will be discussed.

Old
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
can someone post one of the link to the NY sports station covering it? Some US on line radio can not be played here in Europe

Old
Riddick

Great that they are on long island technically still. I'll probably never go to another game but extremely happy they're going to be around.

Now please please please get rid of Wang

Old
10-24-2012, 11:38 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That 14,500 capacity can be increased, now that it's official... I'm sure it will be discussed.
MTS Center is only 15,003 so im sure if Tickets are the right price 14,500 is not bad at all

Old
10-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
Problem is getting there from LI....I'd imagine driving is easier than public transit.
The driving part might be (at least until you hit the BQE), but there's no parking. Barclays already advising Nets fans to take public transportation. LIRR to Flatbush leaves you right there OR LIRR to Penn and take the subway down (20 minutes by all accounts).

Old
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Degeneration Rex

Wonder if NHL Network will put on press conference.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
You actually have it completely reversed. Do not even ATTEMPT to drive to the Barclay's Center. It might be a few minutes shorter trip than the train but there is zero parking. Taking the train is really the only way to go.

Closed Thread