HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 05:22 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 500
To Bill or anyone else whose caught some Titans game: How has Noebels looked for Trenton?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
The team also picked Sbisa. Looking at draft picks since 91 or so the team also picked Therrien who to my understanding was alright (I started watching in 07-08), Janne Niinimaa who I believe I read was good earlier in his career, and this guy Dimitri Yushkevich http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5843 who managed to play 768 games so I figure he couldn't have been that bad. Of course none of those players above are amazing or much of the teams ability to pick or develop defensemen over the last 21 years.

Bodrov could've also maybe turned out if he hadn't gotten a woman pregnant, but it was too early to really tell. I think I remember hearing positive things about him but that can be said for a lot of prospects that never turn out.
That's a pretty impressive summary for someone who didn't start following until 2007. All of those players you mention were good. Niinimaa had too many gaffs though. He is the reason I threw the remote against the plaster wall in my apartment in the 1997 Conference finals against the Rangers. Yushkevich was a solid player on some bad teams.

Over the past 20 years the best defenseman that the Flyers draft who remained with the team was Chris Therien. I think over the whole lifetime of the Flyers the best defenseman drafted by and remaining with the Flyers was Joe Watson.

Obviously part of it is that the Flyers don't often draft high enough to get a guaranteed D-man (although we did have Pitkanen), part of it is that when we do draft d-men they don't pan out for us, or we have no patience with them, or don't know how to develop them, or we trade them. However, the Flyers have done well trading for good d-men (Mark Howe, Eric Desjardins, Kimmo (who was signed), Pronger, et al.)

I think the team in general has little patience for developing d-men (or any player for that matter).

You should see how other teams have done developing and drafting defensmen over the last 20 years. I'd be interested to see what you find. (You can note the glaring testament to my laziness in that statement).

Old
12-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
To Bill or anyone else whose caught some Titans game: How has Noebels looked for Trenton?
At times very good. He's been streaky (eight straight with a point to open the season, pointless in next nine, points in four straight til yesterday) but that's par for the course for a rookie. Biggest thing he needs to work on his skating.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Can't forget about Akeson either. He's been on fire since he's been called back up to the Phantoms. 9 assists in 8 games and has been much better defensively this year (to the point that Akeson now has to be considered a legit prospect to make the Flyers - looking a lot like a young Vaclav Prospal). Hopefully Noebels gets the call to come up as well.
In the 3 games I have seen since he was called up from Trenton he has looked pretty damn good, I honestly think that he will end up as an NHL player now, last year I was not too sure, he seemed to be a kind of 'inbetweener', not good enough to put up 40-50 points and be on top 2 lines, but not defensively good enough to merit a place on a 'checking' line, but I think the kid works so hard that it means he will certainly get his shot, he is already a great weight, and seems strong enough to be in the NHL.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
In the 3 games I have seen since he was called up from Trenton he has looked pretty damn good, I honestly think that he will end up as an NHL player now, last year I was not too sure, he seemed to be a kind of 'inbetweener', not good enough to put up 40-50 points and be on top 2 lines, but not defensively good enough to merit a place on a 'checking' line, but I think the kid works so hard that it means he will certainly get his shot, he is already a great weight, and seems strong enough to be in the NHL.
As with Prospal, Akeson also has to deal with the issue of being a less-than-stellar skater. In his early years, Prospal also had the knock of being too weak physically.

Akeson had to deal with three pretty tough-to-overcome knocks against him (not big enough, not fast enough, not enough of a two-way player) and has been working hard to change minds. I'm pulling for him to make it.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:16 PM
FLYguy3911

Just looking at the Phantoms stats, besides Schenn, Couturier, and Akeson (8 games) no one else is above .5 PPG. I know its not the best collection of talent, but I thought someone might surprise.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
As with Prospal, Akeson also has to deal with the issue of being a less-than-stellar skater. In his early years, Prospal also had the knock of being too weak physically.

Akeson had to deal with three pretty tough-to-overcome knocks against him (not big enough, not fast enough, not enough of a two-way player) and has been working hard to change minds. I'm pulling for him to make it.
Im glad that he is turning things around. Always pulled for him, but his lackadaisical defensive play always left a bad taste in the mouths of the coaches and fans it seems. From what I have seen, he is working really hard to fix that. It can be hard on a player to go from the top scorer on the AHL team to the ECHL team. I'll give him credit for not getting pissed off and stop working. He did what he needed to do and its showing in his AHL callup.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:33 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Just looking at the Phantoms stats, besides Schenn, Couturier, and Akeson (8 games) no one else is above .5 PPG. I know its not the best collection of talent, but I thought someone might surprise.
you mean Eric "superstar" Wellwood isn't tearing up the league?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Anyone got a scouting report on Tye Mcginn? Watching his fights, he can throw em a bit. Also, 2nd on the Phantoms with 8 goals.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Im glad that he is turning things around. Always pulled for him, but his lackadaisical defensive play always left a bad taste in the mouths of the coaches and fans it seems. From what I have seen, he is working really hard to fix that. It can be hard on a player to go from the top scorer on the AHL team to the ECHL team. I'll give him credit for not getting pissed off and stop working. He did what he needed to do and its showing in his AHL callup.
What's funny is that Akeson also played for a coach who really emphasizes two way play in Steve Sprott. I'm glad though that he's getting a chance and he's really showing what he can do. Terry Murray is going to be very good for Akeson's development. I don't know, but Akeson just seems to be a guy you want to root for.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:21 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you mean Eric "superstar" Wellwood isn't tearing up the league?
Eric Wellwood isn't going to put up huge numbers at any respectable level, but he can still be a good energy/4th line/penalty killer for the Flyers. Too many people got carried away with the couple of flashy plays that he made last season, and immediately assumed that it meant that he could produce more than he's capable of. Honestly, he reminds me a lot Powe. He's not as heavy, but his style is pretty similar. Powe was pretty useful while he was here. Hell, some people even said they wanted him back in the past players thread.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:27 AM
dats81

What's wrong with Bourdon? another case of the Flyers flu?

It seems that his injuries are hardly ever disclosed and in the end he is missing several weeks again

Just pure speculation but with his concussion history one have to be alarmed.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:08 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
What's wrong with Bourdon? another case of the Flyers flu?

It seems that his injuries are hardly ever disclosed and in the end he is missing several weeks again

Just pure speculation but with his concussion history one have to be alarmed.
And here I thought we could actually develop a defenseman into a top-6 NHL role

Old
12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Brozgalov

I don't know if anyone posted this already, but the Phantoms game on Saturday December 15th will be on TCN (The Comcast Network) at 7:00pm. I saw a commercial for it while watching DNL.

Last edited by Brozgalov: 12-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 11:30 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I don't know if anyone posted this already, but the Phantoms game on Saturday December 15th will be on CSN at 7:00pm. I saw a commercial for it while watching DNL.
Awesome, since the phantoms left the area I haven't had the opportunity to see much of them.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Awesome, since the phantoms left the area I haven't had the opportunity to see much of them.
My apologies, it'll be on "The Comcast Network," and not "Comcast Sportsnet"

Just checked my local guide for it and found it there.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Krishna

Aren't they also playing a game here on like February 2nd?

Old
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Been ages since I've checked in; are Schenn and Couturier still dominant?

12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Schenn is 4th in the league with 26 points in 23 games, and Couturier has 20 points in 21 games.

To compare, Eberle has 30 points in 23 games, Niederreiter has 25 in 24 games, Brett Connolly has 20 in 22 games, Hall has 19 in 15 games, RNH has 20 in 19 games, Johansen has 18 points in 20 games, and Schultz leads the league as a defenseman with 34 points in 23 games.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
From what I've read, they seem to be the only forwards on the team with a pulse. The defense seems to be getting better though.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:15 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
From what I've read, they seem to be the only forwards on the team with a pulse. The defense seems to be getting better though.
From the games I have seen and who I have talked to, seems like the defense has struggled a bit. MAB has especially struggled mighty, and honestly if a season starts in a few weeks per say, I'd be highly surprised if he makes it. I have both good and bad about Manning. I have heard good things about Gustafsson for the most part but obviously some defensive breakdowns.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
My apologies, it'll be on "The Comcast Network," and not "Comcast Sportsnet"

Just checked my local guide for it and found it there.
Ok, thanks. No apologies necessary kind sir.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
From the games I have seen and who I have talked to, seems like the defense has struggled a bit. MAB has especially struggled mighty, and honestly if a season starts in a few weeks per say, I'd be highly surprised if he makes it. I have both good and bad about Manning. I have heard good things about Gustafsson for the most part but obviously some defensive breakdowns.
Gustafsson struggled a bit picking up Murray's system when the season first began. I'd say the first five games, Gustafsson was really terrible. However, once he grasped the system, he really started to improve. I'd say that if the season were to start tomorrow, Gustafsson would be easily a 19 minute a night defender on the big club. He's looking real confident out there and his puck movement has been superb. More important, his defensive positioning has also improved and he's become more active with his stick. Terry Murray has done a real good job with Gustafsson.

As for MAB, I'm convinced that he started the season still experiencing some issues from his concussions and that right now, he's got another one, but the team isn't saying anything.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Psuhockey

Bourdon's career could very well be over then. That is a lot of concussions in a short amount of time, including a couple of majors ones. That is a shame.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Bourdon's career could very well be over then. That is a lot of concussions in a short amount of time, including a couple of majors ones. That is a shame.
He did get pounded in a fight early on in the season.

Closed Thread