HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Squad50FF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Nice to see Couts rack up the points.

Will have 25 points (8 goals 17 assists) in 26 games if he doesn't score the rest of this game. Great to see him be near a PPG in the AHL. His offense will come in the NHL in due time.

Schenn has 29 points (12 goals 17 assists) in 26 games, which doesn't include tonight's game.
He just might get his third point tonight. Creating tons of chances.

Old
12-22-2012, 08:33 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Phantoms win 3-2. Great game by Couturier

Old
12-22-2012, 08:33 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Phantoms win 3-2. Great game by Couturier
goal and 2 assists for those keeping track. thats 26pts in 26 games now

Old
12-22-2012, 10:47 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
It cannot be overstated just how bad this Phantoms team would be without Schenn and Couturier.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:28 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Trenton wins 5-2. Noebels with 1g and 2a, Hostetter with 2a and Kessel with an assist as well. Wedgewood was in net. Kessel was also a +2, which is a better sign considering the rest of the season so far...

Good to see both affiliates go into the break with some momentum, and the Flyers contracts playing well.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:42 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...raft-prospects
Probably a pipe dream but.....
Quote:
Best fits for top six NHL draft prospects
D Seth Jones: Philadelphia Flyers
To make this happen, it's going to take some work from GM Paul Holmgren to acquire a top-two pick. Or some luck. Perhaps there's no season and the Flyers get lucky in a draft lottery. Either way, Jones to the Flyers would be a perfect fit.

Chris Pronger's concussion cut his career short, and it's possible that an extended lockout leads to an early NHL retirement for Kimmo Timonen. Holmgren aggressively pursued Shea Weber and would be wise to look a little younger to find the anchor for his defense.

What would he be getting in Jones?

"He's just a big, rangy, smart player," said the NHL scout. "He's not [Drew] Doughty in terms of a high-end offensive guy. He's not a franchise defenseman, but he'll be a top player, a top defenseman. He's a top pair guy who can play against good lines, move the puck and create offense."

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 12-23-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old
12-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
If the Flyers have another crap season in them, this would be a good year for it with season shortened and a great top end of the draft. The flyers would probably draft a forward with a top two pick though.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:34 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
goal and 2 assists for those keeping track. thats 26pts in 26 games now
The Carter trade continues to look even better the more Couturier progresses. What's impressive about Couturier is the fact that he plays in every situation. Team needs an important penalty kill - he's out there. Team is on the power play - he's out there. Team is nursing a one goal lead and they're in the final minute of the game - he's out there. On top of it, he's a guy who makes his teammates even better players.

I know some on here think I'm off my rocker, but I'm still convinced that Couturier is going to cause Giroux to be moved back to the wing. Such an incredibly talented and smart hockey player. I know I've used this comparison before, but Couturier reminds me so much of Ron Francis.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:44 AM
MillerTime2181

Stats aside (because I haven't been able to see any games)....for those of you who have been able to watch the Phantoms this year, who has been more impreeive/made the most strides in thier game...B. Schenn or Couturier?

Old
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
I was able to catch some of last night's Phantom's game during an encore during the Eagles game. I could have sworn I heard Therian making comparisons from Couturier to Mario Lemieux, something about his deceptive speed? Anyone hear what he was talking about? There were a lot of family talking over the game

Old
12-23-2012, 06:15 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
I was able to catch some of last night's Phantom's game during an encore during the Eagles game. I could have sworn I heard Therian making comparisons from Couturier to Mario Lemieux, something about his deceptive speed? Anyone hear what he was talking about? There were a lot of family talking over the game
Yeah he said that. Probably should have used another player to compare him with though.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:58 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
If the Flyers have another crap season in them, this would be a good year for it with season shortened and a great top end of the draft. The flyers would probably draft a forward with a top two pick though.
I want to draft D, but when your talent pool is as shallow as ours is, anything but a center would be fine

Old
12-23-2012, 10:43 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I want to draft D, but when your talent pool is as shallow as ours is, anything but a center would be fine
You can always move a Center to wing if they are talented enough. You can never have enough good centers. They become valuable trade assets as we have seen.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:12 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
It cannot be overstated just how bad this Phantoms team would be without Schenn and Couturier.
They'd be even worse without Scott Munroe. A .920 save %age playing behind the Phantoms defense is pretty darn impressive IMO.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
They'd be even worse without Scott Munroe. A .920 save %age playing behind the Phantoms defense is pretty darn impressive IMO.
dont the Phantoms play a defensive system?

Old
12-24-2012, 01:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
The players playing defense are the problem. Watching the last game, with Gus who was hurt and Bourdon with the concussion problems still, Syvret was the only one that looked good. Manning made some BIG mistakes and everyone else was pedestrian.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The players playing defense are the problem. Watching the last game, with Gus who was hurt and Bourdon with the concussion problems still, Syvret was the only one that looked good. Manning made some BIG mistakes and everyone else was pedestrian.
so aside from a small handfull of players, it seems personell is a problem for the system they are trying to run. If Syvret is your best defenseman you have problems.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The only reason the defense is brutal is because of Kjell Samuelsson. He's the guy responsible for working with the defensemen and not one of them have improved under his watch. It's been like that for years. Under his watch, there hasn't been a single defensemen that has progressed under his tutelage. I know that it's very easy to say that it's the players and that they have to show something, but at the same time, when it's been over a decade since a defenseman has progressed under his watch, it speaks in volumes about the job he's doing.

I'm sure if Terry Murray had his say, Samuelsson would be gone and someone else would be handling the development of the defensemen. Get rid of Samuelsson and bring in a proven guy to work with the young defenders (Kevin McCarthy would certainly fit the bill) and I'm willing to bet that we see the young defenders turn it around and progress to the point where they have a strong chance at becoming NHL defenders.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:23 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Munroe is facing nearly 29 shots per game. Hardly a defensive system.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Munroe is facing nearly 29 shots per game. Hardly a defensive system.
If the Phantoms dont have the personell to run a defensive system then Munroe or whoever is in goal is going to face a ton of shots.
I know they dont keep track of everything in the AHL, but I would like to know where the Phantoms are in the turnover department.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:14 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
If the Phantoms dont have the personell to run a defensive system then Munroe or whoever is in goal is going to face a ton of shots.
I know they dont keep track of everything in the AHL, but I would like to know where the Phantoms are in the turnover department.
Which is my point that the team would be much worse without Munroe. A .920 save %age behind this team is pretty impressive imo. Without a veteran signing you'd be looking at Heeter (.895 save %age, 3.21 GAA) and Hovinen as the tandem.

Old
12-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Esq.

Any idea what the Phantoms lines and pairings look like?

Old
12-24-2012, 11:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Any idea what the Phantoms lines and pairings look like?
Check Bill Meltzer's blog on HockeyBuzz for future games, however this is from a recent game:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=48026

Quote:
PROJECTED PHANTOMS LINEUP

Tye McGinn - Brayden Schenn - Jason Akeson
Eric Wellwood - Sean Couturier - Matt Ford
Harry Zolnierczyk- Garrett Roe - Tyler Brown
Zac Rinaldo - Rob Bordson - Mike Testwuide

Brandon Manning - Cullen Eddy
Matt Konan - Danny Syvret
Oliver Lauridsen - Jeff Dimmen

Scott Munroe/ Cal Heeter

Injuries and potential scratches: Shane Harper (healthy), Zack FitzGerald (healthy), Andrew Johnston (resumed skating after concussion), Erik Gustafsson (foot), Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Ben Holmstrom (ACL surgery).

Old
12-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The only reason the defense is brutal is because of Kjell Samuelsson. He's the guy responsible for working with the defensemen and not one of them have improved under his watch. It's been like that for years. Under his watch, there hasn't been a single defensemen that has progressed under his tutelage. I know that it's very easy to say that it's the players and that they have to show something, but at the same time, when it's been over a decade since a defenseman has progressed under his watch, it speaks in volumes about the job he's doing.

I'm sure if Terry Murray had his say, Samuelsson would be gone and someone else would be handling the development of the defensemen. Get rid of Samuelsson and bring in a proven guy to work with the young defenders (Kevin McCarthy would certainly fit the bill) and I'm willing to bet that we see the young defenders turn it around and progress to the point where they have a strong chance at becoming NHL defenders.
Kjell wasn't a problem last year. Back then, all our forwards could score, and the defensemen looked like they had a clue. Manning could play in the NHL without looking completely out of place. Gustafsson looked like a legit NHLer. And Bourdon, sans the concussions, wasn't any worse off. On target for 192 goals (Brayden and Sean figuring in on 190 probably) while giving up 222, and you're telling me it's the assistant coach's problem.

Old
12-25-2012, 08:20 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Kjell wasn't a problem last year. Back then, all our forwards could score, and the defensemen looked like they had a clue. Manning could play in the NHL without looking completely out of place. Gustafsson looked like a legit NHLer. And Bourdon, sans the concussions, wasn't any worse off. On target for 192 goals (Brayden and Sean figuring in on 190 probably) while giving up 222, and you're telling me it's the assistant coach's problem.
Not one of the defensemen have improved under Kjell's watch. The system that Murray uses is actually conducive to developing defensemen. If this were one or two seasons in which a defenseman hasn't developed under Kjell's watch, I wouldn't say this. But Kjell has been responsible for the defenders ever since he became a coach within the Flyers organization. That was nearly 13 years ago. And since that time, players have ever digressed under his watch or have been moved out all together. At some point, Holmgren needs to step back and reassess what kind of impact Kjell is having on the defense prospects and it's clear that it's not very good.

Closed Thread