HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Clown Baby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Not one of the defensemen have improved under Kjell's watch. The system that Murray uses is actually conducive to developing defensemen. If this were one or two seasons in which a defenseman hasn't developed under Kjell's watch, I wouldn't say this. But Kjell has been responsible for the defenders ever since he became a coach within the Flyers organization. That was nearly 13 years ago. And since that time, players have ever digressed under his watch or have been moved out all together. At some point, Holmgren needs to step back and reassess what kind of impact Kjell is having on the defense prospects and it's clear that it's not very good.
I think Holmgren's become more conscientious of the fact the Flyers need to invest in better coaching personnel if they expect to develop some/more defensemen in the future. That's why Hatcher and Desjardins have both been spending more time coaching the prospects we have, of late. That's also why I expect Pronger and Kimmo to move into part-time coaching positions when it comes time. Our prospects need better direction.

Similarly, the coaches can only do so much with what's been provided to them. Before we had undrafted promise in Gustafsson and Manning, Marshall and Bourdon were considered our best defensive prospects, and they were both long-shots to make it (and that may even be a bit generous). Before them, it was Bartulis. Before Bartulis, Picard. The only one to establish himself as a regular as of yet would have been Bourdon, had it not been for injuries. Coaching isn't going to turn spit into gold.

Defensive prospects that could have been in Philadelphia: Doug Hamilton (Sean Couturier), Olli Matta (Scott Laughton), John Carlson (Steve Emginer*), Karl Alzner (JVR), Marc-Edouard Vlasic (Steve Downie), Brent Seabrook/Burns (Jeff Carter), Shea Weber (Mike Richards), etc.

Last edited by Clown Baby: 12-25-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old
12-25-2012, 09:30 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
I think Holmgren's become more conscientious of the fact the Flyers need to invest in better coaching personnel if they expect to develop some/more defensemen in the future. That's why Hatcher and Desjardins have both been spending more time coaching the prospects we have, of late. That's also why I expect Pronger and Kimmo to move into part-time coaching positions when it comes time. Our prospects need better direction.

Similarly, the coaches can only do so much with what's been provided to them. Before we had undrafted promise in Gustafsson and Manning, Marshall and Bourdon were considered our best defensive prospects, and they were both long-shots to make it (and that may even be a bit generous). Before them, it was Bartulis. Before Bartulis, Picard. The only one to establish himself as a regular as of yet would have been Bourdon, had it not been for injuries. Coaching isn't going to turn spit into gold.
Forgot about Ryan Parent and Luca Sbisa. One turned out ok and the other not some much but neither of them are in the organization anymore so it doesn't really matter.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Forgot about Ryan Parent and Luca Sbisa. One turned out ok and the other not some much but neither of them are in the organization anymore so it doesn't really matter.
I tried not to focus on defensemen that were drafted out of the first round, because their skill-set is such that you almost expect for them to develop into full-time NHL defensemen. It's the late-round picks that need help from the coaches, but they should also come with a bit more promise than the "project" tag. Find guys with a high IQ, exception puck-skills, and/or skating. Those seem to be the factors that'll dictate whether or not a prospect makes it.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Check Bill Meltzer's blog on HockeyBuzz for future games, however this is from a recent game:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=48026
Thank you, sir. I'll definitely be checking out Meltzer's blog.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Dr. Octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The only reason the defense is brutal is because of Kjell Samuelsson. He's the guy responsible for working with the defensemen and not one of them have improved under his watch. It's been like that for years. Under his watch, there hasn't been a single defensemen that has progressed under his tutelage. I know that it's very easy to say that it's the players and that they have to show something, but at the same time, when it's been over a decade since a defenseman has progressed under his watch, it speaks in volumes about the job he's doing.

I'm sure if Terry Murray had his say, Samuelsson would be gone and someone else would be handling the development of the defensemen. Get rid of Samuelsson and bring in a proven guy to work with the young defenders (Kevin McCarthy would certainly fit the bill) and I'm willing to bet that we see the young defenders turn it around and progress to the point where they have a strong chance at becoming NHL defenders.
The defensemen he has to work with stink. All of the dmen on the roster are UDFAs or late round picks. What do you expect? You really think an assistant coach at the AHL level is the reason the Flyers can't develop quality dmen?

Old
12-25-2012, 10:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
The defensemen he has to work with stink. All of the dmen on the roster are UDFAs or late round picks. What do you expect? You really think an assistant coach at the AHL level is the reason the Flyers can't develop quality dmen?
Other teams around the league have late round picks/ufda players make the main nhl squad. Its just seems like a VERY VERY long time since we last drafted or even trained a defender that made the team full time.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I would have liked to have kept Sbisa considering how we only got 145 games in 3 seasons out of Pronger. But such is our luck and yeah when it comes to D men and goalies..we're are beyond putrid with respect to developing any homegrown impact talent.

As long as I've been following the Flyers since the mid 80's it's been one painful experience with respect to D men and goalies. I mean how many Jiri Latel's, Darren Rumbles, Janne Niinimaa's and Joni Pitkanens do we have to go through until we can develop a legit homegrown franchise D man????

They have to do better and can do better and I think Murray is a good start ..not the solution but part of the solution.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:28 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I would have liked to have kept Sbisa considering how we only got 145 games in 3 seasons out of Pronger. But such is our luck and yeah when it comes to D men and goalies..we're are beyond putrid with respect to developing any homegrown impact talent.

As long as I've been following the Flyers since the mid 80's it's been one painful experience with respect to D men and goalies. I mean how many Jiri Latel's, Darren Rumbles, Janne Niinimaa's and Joni Pitkanens do we have to go through until we can develop a legit homegrown franchise D man????

They have to do better and can do better and I think Murray is a good start ..not the solution but part of the solution.
I still make that Pronger trade, even knowing his career was ended short with us. It's just too bad we couldn't have gotten him earlier in his career. I mean, the Oilers only gave up Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch to get him back in 2005. The Blues needed to cut salary. Could Clarke really not top that? I know Brewer was considered a top pairing defenseman at that time, but both Woywitka and Lynch were projects (both ended up busting). I'm sure we could have afforded it if we didn't sign both Hatcher and Rathje that summer.

ah well

Old
12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I still make that Pronger trade, even knowing his career was ended short with us. It's just too bad we couldn't have gotten him earlier in his career. I mean, the Oilers only gave up Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch to get him back in 2005. The Blues needed to cut salary. Could Clarke really not top that? I know Brewer was considered a top pairing defenseman at that time, but both Woywitka and Lynch were projects (both ended up busting). I'm sure we could have afforded it if we didn't sign both Hatcher and Rathje that summer.

ah well
I actually didn't count his playoffs games..obviously the year they went to the cup he was instrumental until injuries, certain players being worn out (besides the Leino line) and Leighton squandered the cup.

Anyway, yeah the Flyers kind of had to do it and it almost paid off but ultimately didn't. It was a fair risk at the time and yeah if we got him earlier it would have been great.

ugh..don't even mention the Hatcher and Rathje acquisitions...the league had just instituted rules to open up the game and Clarke goes and get two pilons. Rathje obviously unfortunately became a cap anchor due to injury and Hatcher adjusted in his second year but then his knees were shot although I give him a lot of credit for being a warrior in the playoffs...

Old
12-27-2012, 10:56 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Titans come from behind against the best team in the East/division (Reading) for an OT W. Wedgewood was great, and Noebels had the OT winning bomb from Kessel and Schultz. Game was very chippy, and they play again tomorrow in REA and Saturday in TRE. I assume Hovinen will start tomorrow. Johnston is also back in TRE and active.

Anyone sitting around waiting for the NHL to return, this is becoming a very good, cheap, local fill-in.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:36 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
something I just noticed on the AHL box scores. If you drag your cursor over the +/- next to each goal and assist score in the box score it shows you who was on the ice for each goal.
Never saw that before for some reason, not sure how long they have been doing that for.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:39 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
something I just noticed on the AHL box scores. If you drag your cursor over the +/- next to each goal and assist score in the box score it shows you who was on the ice for each goal.
Never saw that before for some reason, not sure how long they have been doing that for.
Just started this season.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:39 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Titans come from behind against the best team in the East/division (Reading) for an OT W. Wedgewood was great, and Noebels had the OT winning bomb from Kessel and Schultz. Game was very chippy, and they play again tomorrow in REA and Saturday in TRE. I assume Hovinen will start tomorrow. Johnston is also back in TRE and active.

Anyone sitting around waiting for the NHL to return, this is becoming a very good, cheap, local fill-in.
Would the Devils notice if we switched Wedgewood and Hovinen's jerseys?

Old
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Prongo
Beer

Harry Z tweeted out "released" and that was all. People on twitter seem to think he might have been released.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Harry Zolnierczyk ‏@HarryZ87

Released
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

I've been trying to find info on this all morning.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:39 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

probably nothing

Old
12-28-2012, 10:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
Erik Gustafsson update (Dec. 27 and 28):

https://twitter.com/intent/user?scre...hantoms_forum/

Quote:
Gustafsson just left the Civic Center walking with crutches and carrying a couple big bags of ice.
-----------------

http://poststar.com/blogs/phantoms_f...a4bcf887a.html

Quote:
Erik Gustafsson will definitely not be in the lineup against Providence on Friday, according to head coach Terry Murray.

The defenseman is still unable to put on a skate after taking a shot just above the ankle in a loss to Manchester on Dec. 15. The swelling has gone down, but the area right where the top of the skate hits is too tender and limits Gustafsson's flexibility.

"There has to be some comfort to get the skate on and then get on the ice," Murray said. "He's not able to do that, the pressure on the injury point is just not bearable right now.

"He just got hit in the wrong place where there's no padding."

Old
12-28-2012, 01:09 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
per Meltzer via twitter all Phantoms games can be streamed for free at the Flyers website.

Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer
http://Flyers.NHL.com is now streaming all Phantoms home games for free.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:02 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
per Meltzer via twitter all Phantoms games can be streamed for free at the Flyers website.

Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer
http://Flyers.NHL.com is now streaming all Phantoms home games for free.
does that start tonight? and is it a video stream or just audio?

Old
12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
does that start tonight? and is it a video stream or just audio?
Game Preview: Phantoms vs. Providence BruinsFriday, 12.28.2012

There is a ustream video link but I am not sure if it is available to all:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=648382

Old
12-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Schenn breakaway goal.

13th on the year.

2-1 Providence.

edit: Caron scores like 10 seconds after Schenn. Awesome. Heeter sucks lol.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
iamcanadian23

For anyone interested in our Ontario Hockey League prospects, there is a promotion for free online streams today and tomorrow - as part of a fan appreciation offer. Create a free acount here, enter the promotional code and stream. - http://ohl.neulion.com/ohl/

Tonight, Oshawa (Laughton/Sullentrop) is in action and already through one period. This is basically Scott Laughton's team for the juniors break, with Boone Jenner and Tyler Biggs gone. So far tonight he has picked up a powerplay goal and an assist. Tomorrow, Nick Cousins will be playing for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

Edit: Just checked, Western Hockey League doing the same - although games will be much later with timezone difference. Taylor Leier plays for the Portland Winterhawks, and you can watch him and the team twice this weekend. - http://whl.neulion.com/whl/

Last edited by iamcanadian23: 12-28-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Krishna

Yep, didn't even think about posting it

Check out London's game tomorrow. Going for a 23 game winning streak!

Also, mix and match some games if you have free time.

OHL is much like the NHL. It's a little more skilled than the WHL but the WHL is grittier.

QMJHL is just all out offense

Old
12-28-2012, 08:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Both affiliates winning streaks end? Figures. Phantoms blow a lead and the Titans storm back in a close one, lost 5-4.

Niko got shelled early, stopped everything in the 3rd. The box score is worth looking at...the game is over and it's not done updating yet. Fights, misconducts, roughings, unsportsmanlikes, Titans goals galore. Teams wouldn't leave the ice at the end, stood staring each other down. Should be fun tomorrow in Trenton.

edit:
Quote:
Scoring
1. REA Cox, (3) (O'Connor, Cayer), 1:07
1. REA Almeida, (5) (Paquette), 5:08
1. TRE Schultz, (10) (Noebels), 18:27 (PP)
2. REA Comrie, (9) (Kashirsky, Marshall), 3:00
2. REA Tifu, (10) (Champagne, Kostenko), 7:51
2. REA Tifu, (11) (Champagne, Paquette), 16:45
3. TRE Slater, (7) , 10:02
3. TRE Noebels, (12) (Schultz, Bohmbach), 15:23 (PP)
3. TRE Kessel, (4) (Schultz, Noebels), 16:56 (PP)
Penalties
1 - REA Marshall, 5:53 - Roughing - minor, (51.2) 2 min (PP)
1 - TRE Schultz, 10:28 - Slashing - minor, (61.2) 2 min (PP)
1 - REA Comrie, 12:05 - Hooking - minor, (55.2) 2 min (PP)
1 - REA Marshall, 18:18 - Hooking - minor, (55.2) 2 min (PP)
2 - REA O'Connor, 9:00 - Slashing - minor, (61.2) 2 min (PP)
3 - TRE Carrier, 7:27 - Fighting - Major, (46.13) 5 min
3 - REA Stevenson, 7:27 - Fighting - Major, (46.13) 5 min
3 - TRE Mangene, 12:20 - Spearing major, (62.3) 5 min
3 - TRE Mangene, 12:20 - Game misconduct - Spearing, (62.5) 10 min
3 - TRE Slater, 12:20 - Unsportsmanlike conduct - minor, (75.2) 2 min (PP)
3 - TRE Slater, 12:20 - Misconduct, (39.4) 10 min
3 - REA Paquette, 12:20 - Fighting - Major, (46.13) 5 min
3 - REA Paquette, 12:20 - Game misconduct - Aggressor, (46.2) 10 min
3 - TRE Hostetter, 13:39 - Fighting - Major, (46.13) 5 min
3 - TRE Hostetter, 13:39 - Game Misconduct - Fighting (continuing altercation), (46.5) 10 min
3 - TRE Taylor, 13:39 - Cross-Checking Minor, (59.2) 2 min
3 - TRE Taylor, 13:39 - Match - Attempt/Deliberate injury, (21.1) 5 min (PP)
3 - TRE Taylor, 13:39 - Game Misconduct - Fighting (continuing altercation), (46.5) 10 min
3 - REA Comrie, 13:39 - Fighting - Major, (46.13) 5 min
3 - REA Comrie, 13:39 - Game Misconduct - Fighting (continuing altercation), (46.5) 10 min
3 - REA Kashirsky, 13:39 - Roughing - minor, (51.2) 2 min
3 - REA Kashirsky, 13:39 - Misconduct - Continuing Altercation, (46.5) 10 min
3 - REA Marshall, 13:39 - Cross-Checking Minor, (59.2) 2 min
3 - REA O'Connor, 15:00 - Delay of Game, (63.2) 2 min
3 - REA Tifu, 15:23 - Bench minor - Unsportsmanlike conduct, (75.3) 2 min (PP)

Last edited by sobrien: 12-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Krishna

That's hilarious

Closed Thread