HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 07:58 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Brayden Schenn has yet to have a breakout season to force the organization to move him to center. Not impressed with what Laughton does so far.
Both are less valuable to the Flyers right now than Couts so I'd try to put together a package Schenn/Laughton + 1st + ? to acquire a potential #1D. Drafts can be treacherous at times - there is hardly a sure bet franchise defenseman available and even if so, he'd take multiple years to develop until he is ready.
That breakout year for Schenn could be this year. Last year, with the broken foot and the concussion, it set him back. When the playoffs came around, he put it all together. I think when the season starts, he should be ready to go.

As for Laughton, he's been really good this year. With the exception of the 10 game suspension for the elbow to the head of the 67's player, Laughton has played very well. On top of it, while Jenner was on Team Canada and Biggs was on Team USA, Laughton brought his game to another level. And, there's some very good offensive skills there too. His game is very much like that of Mike Ricci's. Nothing wrong with having a guy who brings that workman like mentality into the lineup.

In terms of acquiring a defenseman, I don't think any of the guys like Schenn, Couturier or Laughton should even be considered. I think everyone needs to realize that the Flyers are more than just a number one defenseman away from winning the Stanley Cup. This is a team that is very much Jekyll and Hyde. Some days they dazzle, others they disappoint. Dealing for a number one defenseman will set this club back. They need to rebuild the depth again before even considering making a move for a number one. They tried with Pronger and it failed. In fairness, I don't think anyone anticipated losing Pronger to post concussion syndrome, but none the less, there were still issues that not even Pronger could make up for.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:15 AM
FlyersFan61290

anyone know if cousins will be in philly next week? if this were any other season he'd get a look. he's obviously a long shot but i'm just curious if he'll even get an opportunity now.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:52 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

oooooh the Phantoms are gonna suck now

Old
01-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That breakout year for Schenn could be this year. Last year, with the broken foot and the concussion, it set him back. When the playoffs came around, he put it all together. I think when the season starts, he should be ready to go.

As for Laughton, he's been really good this year. With the exception of the 10 game suspension for the elbow to the head of the 67's player, Laughton has played very well. On top of it, while Jenner was on Team Canada and Biggs was on Team USA, Laughton brought his game to another level. And, there's some very good offensive skills there too. His game is very much like that of Mike Ricci's. Nothing wrong with having a guy who brings that workman like mentality into the lineup.

In terms of acquiring a defenseman, I don't think any of the guys like Schenn, Couturier or Laughton should even be considered. I think everyone needs to realize that the Flyers are more than just a number one defenseman away from winning the Stanley Cup. This is a team that is very much Jekyll and Hyde. Some days they dazzle, others they disappoint. Dealing for a number one defenseman will set this club back. They need to rebuild the depth again before even considering making a move for a number one. They tried with Pronger and it failed. In fairness, I don't think anyone anticipated losing Pronger to post concussion syndrome, but none the less, there were still issues that not even Pronger could make up for.
Good post. The problem with trading Schenn, Couturier, or Laughton is you won't get great value for them as you don't know yet what they will become. It is better to trade established guys who's value is set. The Flyers probably won't be able to resign Matt Read after next season. He would be a good candidate to trade. Hopefully he has a great year and ups his value. Another good year and he could get you a good young defenseman prospect; not elite but someone like Coburn was with Atlanta (talented but so far inconsistent)

Old
01-06-2013, 09:04 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
anyone know if cousins will be in philly next week? if this were any other season he'd get a look. he's obviously a long shot but i'm just curious if he'll even get an opportunity now.
No I don't think so. He wasn't on the recall list. Just Laughton.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:30 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
No I don't think so. He wasn't on the recall list. Just Laughton.
when was this list released?

Old
01-06-2013, 09:33 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
and where can it be found

Old
01-06-2013, 09:46 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
and where can it be found
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=9539

Old
01-06-2013, 10:09 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
thanks

Old
01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
oooooh the Phantoms are gonna suck now
so what else is new?

Old
01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Do people really not understand the importance of a #1 defenseman?

Old
01-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
It's not like Weber walking in and being a number one.

It's a risk.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:33 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Who is the Devils #1 defenseman? They sucked last year...

Old
01-06-2013, 11:39 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Larsson is pretty good and had a decent season as a rookie defender. He'll take over for then

Old
01-06-2013, 11:47 AM
FlyersFan61290

Cousins now has 60pts in 40 games w/ 17 goals and 43 assists. At this pace he'll approach 100pts for the yr. hope he can keep it up.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
yes, they made it out of a weak Eastern Conference and got their ***** handed to them in the SCF

Old
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Adam Larson will be a #1 defenseman in this league, and the devils played a very good team defense system. Oh and they also have a guy named Martin Brodeur who stepped it up in the playoffs. Having 3 good centers, regardless of how good they are in their own end, is meaningless if you have no defense and unreliable goaltending.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Is it important to have a #1 defenseman? Yes. Do you bankrupt your team's current and futures to acquire one? Honestly, I don't think so. If you have a solid core of guys and if say three of them would be number 2 guys anywhere else in the league, then you can make a good go of it.

When I look at the Flyers group of defensemen, it isn't bad. If there's one thing that they legitimately need though, it's a power play quarterback. They need one defenseman who is a purely offensive defenseman who can run the point on the power play. I thought Meszaros was going to be that guy, but I don't think he has the IQ for it.

If the Flyers can address finding a power play/offensive defenseman, then I'm sold on the group of guys that are already there.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
It's not like Weber walking in and being a number one.

It's a risk.
18 year old on an ELC and team control vs. 28 year old with a 8 million dollar cap hit for 14 years. I know which one I'm taking.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
18 year old on an ELC and team control vs. 28 year old with a 8 million dollar cap hit for 14 years. I know which one I'm taking.
1 would have cost the flyers nothing other then the money, while being a proven elite D-man with multiple all-stars under his belt and a norris candidate. not to mention the fact that he's around the same age as our current D-core. while the other costs the Flyers Couturier plus 2013 1st rounder at the very least and is all potential. Jones couldn't step into the role everyone wants him for, for at least 5 years and by then the rest of our D is old and Giroux would be starting his decline. i choose weber all day.

don't get me wrong i like Jones and all but by the time he's in his prime i doubt he'll even be in the conversation for best D-man in the league. its a lot to pay for potential. oh and btw, weber is 27. he turns 28 in august but by then jones will be 2 months away from turning 19.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 01-06-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
1 would have cost the flyers nothing other then the money, while being a proven elite D-man with multiple all-stars under his belt and a norris candidate. not to mention the fact that he's around the same age as our current D-core. while the other costs the Flyers Couturier plus 2013 1st rounder at the very least and is all potential. Jones couldn't step into the role everyone wants him for, for at least 5 years and by then the rest of our D is old and Giroux would be starting his decline. i choose weber all day.

don't get me wrong i like Jones and all but by the time he's in his prime i doubt he'll even be in the conversation for best D-man in the league. its a lot to pay for potential. oh and btw, weber is 27. he turns 28 in august but by then jones will be 2 months away from turning 19.
Weber likely would have cost us Couturier+ for Nashville not to have matched the OS. And even if they didn't match, that's 4 firsts, so to say it wouldn't cost anything but money is an oversight.

The age reference was at the start of next season when Jones would be in the league.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Ryker

Quote:
A #1 defensman is not a panacea, so I think you're vastly overrating the importance of having one. I definitely wouldn't trade Couturier or Schenn just to get a chance to pick Seth Jones in the draft. I've seen him play this WJC, and, yes, he's really good, but so what.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:30 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Weber likely would have cost us Couturier+ for Nashville not to have matched the OS. And even if they didn't match, that's 4 firsts, so to say it wouldn't cost anything but money is an oversight.

The age reference was at the start of next season when Jones would be in the league.
no, Weber would have just cost us draft picks. Sure we could have worked out a deal with Nashville afterwards to exchange the draft picks with players, but if they wouldn't have matched, they would just received those compensatory draft picks

Old
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
A #1 defensman is not a panacea, so I think you're vastly overrating the importance of having one. I definitely wouldn't trade Couturier or Schenn just to get a chance to pick Seth Jones in the draft. I've seen him play this WJC, and, yes, he's really good, but so what.
A #1 is definitely a need for the Flyers as they currently stand and with the system they run. They need that guy that can be a rock for 25 minutes a night and play in all situations. Look at the impact Pronger made when he was healthy. A team like the Devils who run a team defensive system can get away without having one. Even with that said, they got what they think is their franchise guy in Larsson. Jones to me is a clear step above him.

I think we are overvaluing Schenn and Coururier a little bit right now. Everyone says Jones isn't a sure thing, but neither are they. We're hopeful they will someday become 1B/2A centers, but until they do, they are just as much a risk if not more.

Like I said earlier, it depends how you feel about Jones as a prospect. I'm as sure about him as I can remember about a defenseman and that's why I wouldn't hesitate to trade either player. But again this is all hypothetical because neither Schenn or Couturier, barring a massive breakout, gets you the #1 pick.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:44 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
no, Weber would have just cost us draft picks. Sure we could have worked out a deal with Nashville afterwards to exchange the draft picks with players, but if they wouldn't have matched, they would just received those compensatory draft picks
They were holding out for Schenn and/or Couturier even before the OS. They didn't get them, so they matched. Regardless, it still would have cost 4 firsts, hardly just a money trade, which was my whole point.

Closed Thread