HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 02:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quick someone start a petition to bring back Sunshine.

At one point he was our top prospect, and he's only continued his success.

In all seriousness though, we kind of need him. Hovinen has made himself official as a flop. Heeter is marginal. Stolarz is raw as ****. We're the only organization that would throw away a upper-end prospect at a position of need. I don't car if he's not quite bluechip.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:42 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Not a horrible idea with Munroe becoming less necessary due to Heeter and Hovy looking like he is on his way out.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
trentondevil

Just to add a little more to the Hovinen going home.

http://titanshockey.wordpress.com/

Old
01-18-2013, 04:05 PM
captainpaxil

any word on brendan ranford? with the high end guys gone i bet theres room for him on this phantoms team. and i would sign sunshine with the 50th contract in a heartbeat

Old
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

In all seriousness though, we kind of need him. Hovinen has made himself official as a flop. Heeter is marginal. Stolarz is raw as ****. We're the only organization that would throw away a upper-end prospect at a position of need. I don't care if he's not quite bluechip.
Stolarz is going to a fantastic program in London. He's going to get extensive one on one time with Bill Dark, one of the premier goaltending coaches in junior hockey. Stolarz's flaws are very correctable. More important, he's going to get A LOT of playing time in London. Stolarz is going to be fine.

Yes, I do think we should have Eriksson in the pipe line though. There was talk that he demanded a contract from the Flyers and the opportunity to play for the starter's position in Philadelphia, but I don't ever remember reading anywhere where Eriksson made those demands. The only thing that I remember reading was that Eriksson was really excited to come to North America to compete. I still have hopes that after the Hovinen flop that the Flyers will look at signing Eriksson.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
any word on brendan ranford? with the high end guys gone i bet theres room for him on this phantoms team. and i would sign sunshine with the 50th contract in a heartbeat
Ranford went to prospect camp for the Canadiens, I think. The Flyers had no interest in signing him and retaining his rights.

Hovinen likely was told he'd have a shot at the AHL, and obviously that's not happening. He wasn't even the real starter for the Titans.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Stolarz is going to a fantastic program in London. He's going to get extensive one on one time with Bill Dark, one of the premier goaltending coaches in junior hockey. Stolarz's flaws are very correctable. More important, he's going to get A LOT of playing time in London. Stolarz is going to be fine.
You seem to know a lot about the program. What would you consider Stolarz flaws? He seems mobile for a big guy -- he looked huge in net at prospect camp, seemed a hair stiff and was average at tracking the puck in front -- does Bill Dark know how to handle bigger netminders? Or is this a bad question?

Old
01-18-2013, 06:06 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Ranford went to prospect camp for the Canadiens, I think. The Flyers had no interest in signing him and retaining his rights.

Hovinen likely was told he'd have a shot at the AHL, and obviously that's not happening. He wasn't even the real starter for the Titans.
Because he ended up getting outplayed by his competition at each level. It's strange though, he was starting to come around and outplay Wedgewood here and there. If the Flyers WERE going to keep him, they'd be nullifying any progress Niko's made, because he biggest adjustment was getting used to the smaller rinks and consequent differences in game speed.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

Ranford ended up back with the Kamloops Blazers as an overager. 13 goals, 51 points in 45 games so far.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
You seem to know a lot about the program. What would you consider Stolarz flaws? He seems mobile for a big guy -- he looked huge in net at prospect camp, seemed a hair stiff and was average at tracking the puck in front -- does Bill Dark know how to handle bigger netminders? Or is this a bad question?
I've been in London for nearly seven years now and have probably watched 300+ Knights games. I know Charlie Girl isn't a fan of the Knights program, but the Hunter brothers have been very successful with regards to putting their program in place in London. It's a very high pressure offensive system (similar to what the Flyers use), but there's also a very heavy emphasis on solid positional two-way play and EVERYBODY has to know how to back check or they don't see ice time.

As for Stolarz, there's quite a bit to like about him. First and foremost, his size is an asset. He covers a lot of net and he's very athletic. He can drop into the butterfly very quickly and gets back up with no problems as all. He's got a very good glovehand and his lateral movement is fantastic. He moves from post to post very quickly. He's also very smart and cerebral. That though can lead to trouble because when play in front gets hectic, he can sometimes lose focus because he's too concentrated on what's going on in front of him and he loses sight of the puck. He's also prone to giving up big rebounds.

Bill Dark has already said that Stolarz's flaws are very correctable and that the more playing time Stolarz receives, he'll be able to correct those flaws. London is the best thing to happen to Stolarz because he's effectively the number one guy here. London really wanted him to start the year and now they're going to get him for two years (there's a belief that the Flyers will allow him to stay as an overager to continue to work with Bill Dark). Stolarz is really going to get an opportunity to work with excellent coaches and really help bring his game to the forefront.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Yale vs Harvard on NBCSP nice intense game.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:12 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
In the little I've seen of him his technique is a little sloppy at times.

BTW I think he went in as a reliever tonight against Windsor. Patterson let in 3 goals on 8 shots.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
In the little I've seen of him his technique is a little sloppy at times.

BTW I think he went in as a reliever tonight against Windsor. Patterson let in 3 goals on 8 shots.
Yep, he did go in as a reliever against Windsor. The night before, against Ottawa, he faced 38 shots. He then went in against Windsor and faced 15. If he would have started the Windsor game, they win. He's made some spectacular saves during his short time and London has hit a bit of a round patch right now. He's been the reason why London was even in the games. He's already getting better from one game to the next and his form is already improving. Stolarz is a guy who coaches love working with because he's really coachable and he's also a hard working guy who always wants to work on his flaws. He wants to be the best and he's willing to work. Maybe that's why I'm so high on the guy. I can't think of another goaltender who has come down the Flyers pike who has flat out said he wants to be the best and he's going to work at it to become the best. An almost unheard of work ethic from a goaltending prospect........

Closed Thread