Notices

Islanders are Moving to Brooklyn in 2015

Old
10-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Terrier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Great news for the Islanders- they could certainly use some. They will certainly draw more fans from the city than they did in that wasteland.

Will this effect the Devils?

I know the Devils had to pay indemnity fees to the Rangers and Isles when they arrived from Colorado. I'll be curious to see what arrangements exist with this move.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:58 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
this will be great for trips to see the Bruins play (assuming there ever is hockey again)

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
I know the Devils had to pay indemnity fees to the Rangers and Isles when they arrived from Colorado. I'll be curious to see what arrangements exist with this move.
They're only moving about 20 miles. The Isles already paid the Rangers for encroachment back in the 70's.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Great news for the Islanders- they could certainly use some. They will certainly draw more fans from the city than they did in that wasteland.

Will this effect the Devils?
In terms of losing fans? I highly doubt it. New Jersey is tough to call, because a lot of Northern New Jerseyans (sp?) cheer for the Rags and southern Jersey is so close to Philly. Lou could probably expound on this since he's from the Joisey.

Brooklyn is an eclectic mix of yuppies, transplanted mid-westerners, musicians, freaks, hipsters, etc. It's a place where the people are very much into trying new things, which could bode well for the Isles. Brooklyn also has a huge Russian population, which (and this is pure speculation on my part) could attract certain players.

HooperDrivesTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperDrivesTheBoat View Post
In terms of losing fans? I highly doubt it. New Jersey is tough to call, because a lot of Northern New Jerseyans (sp?) cheer for the Rags and southern Jersey is so close to Philly. Lou could probably expound on this since he's from the Joisey.

Brooklyn is an eclectic mix of yuppies, transplanted mid-westerners, musicians, freaks, hipsters, etc. It's a place where the people are very much into trying new things, which could bode well for the Isles. Brooklyn also has a huge Russian population, which (and this is pure speculation on my part) could attract certain players.
I remember back in the day, Sergei Nemchinov was really only interested in playing for the NYR, NYI, or NJD because of the Russian population in Brooklyn.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
I remember back in the day, Sergei Nemchinov was really only interested in playing for the NYR, NYI, or NJD because of the Russian population in Brooklyn.
Yeah, Brighton Beach, which is right next to Coney Island, is pretty much all Russian.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Yeah, Brighton Beach, which is right next to Coney Island, is pretty much all Russian.
I remember getting tipped in borscht for making a delivery in Brighton Beach. I **** you not.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:12 PM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
I remember getting tipped in borscht for making a delivery in Brighton Beach. I **** you not.
HAHA...we took the students from our high school Russian class on a field trip to Brighton Beach last spring. Ate borscht for the first time. Not bad...

Old
10-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:

Great insight there. I'd definitely agree, there's definitely a population there where if the team can turn it around and get better, they'll see the fanbase grow.

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:28 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
People in NJ will go to Brooklyn long before they go to the Island. It's such a snarl to get out to see them,,,Now it's a pretty easy mass transit trip and one I will certainly make....The Islanders may indeed get some NJ fans because kids here seem to eat up the new merchandise and logos..I haven't seen so many Nets "fans" in my life since they have that new logo....

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:29 PM
WBC8

Quote:

Sad part is for a bit anyways is that there will now be even MORE Rangers fans..much easier to get to Brooklyn then the Island. It's going to be their second home..morseo then Newark..

Old
10-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Sad part is for a bit anyways is that there will now be even MORE Rangers fans..much easier to get to Brooklyn then the Island. It's going to be their second home..morseo then Newark..
At least attendance will be up...

Old
10-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Son of Donegal

Brooklyn Brawlers?

Son of Donegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Donegal View Post

Brooklyn Brawlers?

I was in a band once with a girl named Brooklyn, I pushed hard for the name "Brooklyn & The Brawlers"

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Donegal View Post

Brooklyn Brawlers?
Not if you knew the real story behind why Steve Lombardi got his "push" as the Brooklyn Brawler...

Old
10-24-2012, 03:33 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

O, man. The new Isles' fans?

Now we'll settle this age old, time untold unending debate with neither an end or a beginning. Which is more fun? A stadium full of suits, or a stadium full of hipsters? You decide...

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:40 PM
GordonHowe

I was out all day and just heard about this. A sound move all the way around. And they'll be keeping their name & sweaters.

From Backhand Shelf's Justin Bourne:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/1...or-their-fans/

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:22 PM
DohBruins

Was hoping to look at a college that's about 100 yards down the road from Nassau Colliseum.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Comfort Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post

#ugliestjerseyintheNHLtho.
I couldn't disagree more!! I think they have some of the best uniforms in the league. The third jersey from last year is a little strange, but the rest are just plain awesome! The simple outline of the island, and the hockey stick is just great, and I love the colors. I would put them in the top ten personally.

Great move going to Brooklyn, but the arena was made for basketball, so maybe not the best setup for a hockey rink. The NCC is a bit of a dump, but the place has pretty good atmosphere when the team is good, and reminds me of the old Garden with the distance of the seats from the ice.

Comfort Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
ODAAT

I feel for those in Long Island who, in spite of the short move may not be able to make the trek to the new digs, been there to see games a half dozen times, great fans, knowledgeable too.

Unfortunate they've been force fed garbage decision making and pitiful organizational direction for years.

New barn/home but.....nothing changes nothing changes. As long as Wang is the owner, and Snow calling the shots well.....I'll let you fill in the blanks from here

Last edited by ODAAT: 10-24-2012 at 06:38 PM.
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Will they have Pabst Blue Ribbon on draft for the hipster community in Brooklyn? I also wonder how big of a roll Jay-Z will take on?

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Glad the Islanders are staying on the island....but I have to vent about a few things associated with this situation:

1. The Barclays Center, while supposedly nice on the inside from everything I heard, has that crappy rusted out weathered steel look. Supposedly this was done in "honor" of the brownstones in the neighborhood. But anytime you can make your building look like the old Omni in Atlanta (which became an eyesore) I guess you have to do it.

2. The Barclays Center is built on a solid foundation of disgraceful eminent domain abuse. For you see, Bruce Ratner needed to get much of the surrounding area (with people living there) condemned by the state so he could build luxury condos and the arena. For more on Ratner, read this piece by Malcolm Gladwell

3. At the presser yesterday, Ratner said he had hoped to get the Islanders as a tenant. Well if that's the case Mr. Slimy Developer, why the hell did you cheap out on the arena by not allowing for a hockey configuration that looks normal? Here is the hockey seating configuration for the arena. As you can see, there is NO LOWER BOWL at one end of the rink. So because they cheaped out, 2,500-3000 prime seats are completely unavailable for hockey.

4. You could blame Wang for not getting on board this Brooklyn arena train earlier but apparently he liked punishing himself by dealing with Nassau County to try and get his precious Lighthouse Project. Had he cut his losses sooner, they might have gotten a hockey configuration at Barclays. But the fact that Ratner said he wanted the Islanders as a tenant and created a building with an unworkable hockey setup is completely insane. The Islanders just traded one monster set of arena issues for a different set of arena issues.

If they fix it, then it's fine. But we shall see.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:15 AM
spokedB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
So just in time for the NHL to start playing again.
You're being optimistic

spokedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:54 AM
WBC8

Trying to figure out my route... I would have to drive 10 miles or so to the train station..take a train from Hawthorne to Secaucus to Grand Central to Brooklyn. Not terrible. Problem is the trains late at night are few and far between.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Terrier

I assume the Islanders' players, wherever they are at the moment, cannot be officially informed of this development. Gee, can they even enter the Barclays Center?

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote