HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Targeting Luongo would be a mistake for both the Maple Leafs and Oilers

Old
10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
DaveT83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This isn't even commenting on my point though.
Whats your point? That its sad we drafted 5th overall? That its sad we traded away 9th overall to Boston which became Hamilton? -

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:00 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Whats your point? That its sad we drafted 5th overall? That its sad we traded away 9th overall to Boston which became Hamilton? -
The post I was responding to was stating how Leaf fans shouldn't brag or make a big deal of drafting 5th overall. It seems like a big deal all the time except when the Leafs Do it.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:13 PM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
What are you talking about? Luongo's been handling this like a pro. He's said he's easy with anything, whether staying or going, and his agent reported not once has Luongo even been asked if he would waive his NTC by Gillis. Luongo's been as classy as it gets in this kind of situation.
Does Luongo have a history of complaint? Mhm. That's what I'm talking about.

That he responds at the end of a "situation" in which he'd eventually have no other choice (and shouldn't given his salary, privilege,etc...) but to react professionally because his first and second and third reactions weren't and noted as such from most news outlets isn't something to point out as admirable when there's a record otherwise. Gillis has to smooth over perception, otherwise Luongo's compromised value is reduced further.

I don't begrudge a player's contractual right to limit destinations, but some handle that possible transition with a little more decorum than Luongo did, and don't have nearly the kind of opinionated history he has. See Kaberle.

I don't think Luongo gets "as classy as it gets".

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:17 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
The post I was responding to was stating how Leaf fans shouldn't brag or make a big deal of drafting 5th overall. It seems like a big deal all the time except when the Leafs Do it.
Gotcha. I think the problem is drafting 5th was never the plan. Management has been saying the complete opposite - "Playoffs are the goal" - so as much as it is a success to draft high end elite talent - it also completely contradicts the "Win ASAP" philosophy set into motion by Burke n Co.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:01 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Gotcha. I think the problem is drafting 5th was never the plan. Management has been saying the complete opposite - "Playoffs are the goal" - so as much as it is a success to draft high end elite talent - it also completely contradicts the "Win ASAP" philosophy set into motion by Burke n Co.
Based on Burke's comments in 2009', yes, you are correct.

However, Burke has clearly changed his philosophy the past two years.

Basically, forget about quoting Burke and reading too much into it. He is full of ****.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:08 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Based on Burke's comments in 2009', yes, you are correct.

However, Burke has clearly changed his philosophy the past two years.

Basically, forget about quoting Burke and reading too much into it. He is full of ****.
A full-page apology in the Newspaper begs to differ

His misstep at the Trade Deadline last year ... And his upcoming acquisition of Luongo also suggest otherwise.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:29 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
A full-page apology in the Newspaper begs to differ

His misstep at the Trade Deadline last year ... And his upcoming acquisition of Luongo also suggest otherwise.
Huh? What misstep?

And please don't judge him on a trade that has not happened. That's ridiculous.

John Shanon says it's a done deal! Oh my!

Old
10-27-2012, 01:39 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Huh? What misstep?

And please don't judge him on a trade that has not happened. That's ridiculous.

John Shanon says it's a done deal! Oh my!
I was refering to the fact he should've been a seller - Considering the tailspin the team was in going into deadline day. Especially with significant offers on the table for guys like MacA, Reimer. Instead he choose to "Believe in this group and their ability to get us into the playoffs"

Old
10-27-2012, 01:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
I was refering to the fact he should've been a seller - Considering the tailspin the team was in going into deadline day. Especially with significant offers on the table for guys like MacA, Reimer. Instead he choose to "Believe in this group and their ability to get us into the playoffs"
You're believing Burke's ******** that he had offers for 4 or 5 first rounders. I don't believe it at all.

You're saying in a lot of posts how full of crap he is, then believing him when you want to knock the team.

And why the hell should we trade a promising young goalie like Reimer for a late round draft pick? Reimer as a rookie posted a .921 save%. He played like crap once he got a concussion and never recovered.not good enough to give up on him at all. He's excelled at every level of development as a goalie.

You do not give up on young players because they had a bad stretch of about 25-30 games following an injury. That's a terrible strategy.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:05 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
You're believing Burke's ******** that he had offers for 4 or 5 first rounders. I don't believe it at all.

You're saying in a lot of posts how full of crap he is, then believing him when you want to knock the team.

And why the hell should we trade a promising young goalie like Reimer for a late round draft pick? Reimer as a rookie posted a .921 save%. He played like crap once he got a concussion and never recovered.not good enough to give up on him at all. He's excelled at every level of development as a goalie.

You do not give up on young players because they had a bad stretch of about 25-30 games following an injury. That's a terrible strategy.
When have I ever said that Burke is full of ****? I think he believes everything that comes out his mouth. He believed this group was good enoguh to make the playoffs otherwise he would've been a seller at deadline - instead he stood pat.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:09 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
When have I ever said that Burke is full of ****? I think he believes everything that comes out his mouth. He believed this group was good enoguh to make the playoffs otherwise he would've been a seller at deadline - instead he stood pat.
In 2011", he was a big-time seller at the deadline. He added a lt of future talent.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:34 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
In 2011", he was a big-time seller at the deadline. He added a lt of future talent.

Ok in 2009 he traded away 2nd, 9th and 32nd Overall draft picks ...

The point is he hasn't been REBUILDING - he's stil doing this mish mash on the fly retool ********.
Luongo + not being a seller at last years deadline + the acquisitions of Connolly/McClement/Stekel suggest its the same ole state of affairs.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:35 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Ok in 2009 he traded away 2nd, 9th and 32nd Overall draft picks ...

The point is he hasn't been REBUILDING - he's stil doing this mish mash on the fly retool ********.
Luongo + not being a seller at last years deadline + the acquisitions of Connolly/McClement/Stekel suggest its the same ole state of affairs.
I see no evidence he's not rebuilding at all right now.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:50 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
I see no evidence he's not rebuilding at all right now.
Granted I will agree that in the last 2 years he hasn't done anything terribly detrimental to the future success of franchise.

I would've liked to have seen him properly assess this losing roster at the deadline last year.
I'd like him to take a pass on Luongo (unless its simply a salary dump by Vancouver)
I'd like him to make some room on active roster for less experienced players (kadri/frattin/holzer/colbourne) instead of signing/re-signing vets (Connolly/Lombo/Stekel/McClement/Liles/Komi)

Old
10-27-2012, 05:49 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
I still don't believe that to be honest. Burke said we were offered 4 first round picks, apparently.

This goes back to what RogerRoeper was saying. Even if hypothetically, we were in fact offered those 4 first rounders, i don't know why Burke had to open his big mouth and tell that to the whole world. Because of this, we're gonna be in the "what-if" loop again, the cycle continues.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:50 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
I still don't believe that to be honest. Burke said we were offered 4 first round picks, apparently.

This goes back to what RogerRoeper was saying. Even if hypothetically, we were in fact offered those 4 first rounders, i don't know why Burke had to open his big mouth and tell that to the whole world. Because of this, we're gonna be in the "what-if" loop again, the cycle continues.
Nothing to do with what ifs. A late 1st isn't worth any of them and MacArthurs was a conditional 1st.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:54 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Nothing to do with what ifs. A late 1st isn't worth any of them and MacArthurs was a conditional 1st.
That's your opinion, though. You don't think people are gonna be wondering next year "i wonder what would've happened if we got those 4 first round picks" ?

Old
10-27-2012, 06:06 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
That's your opinion, though. You don't think people are gonna be wondering next year "i wonder what would've happened if we got those 4 first round picks" ?
You would have the crapiest team ever in the history of the nhl. You would then throw hissy fits until the end of the season because you may get first pick, then draft some guys that wont pan out for 7 years if ever maybe trade some picks for guys not as good as what you had.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:07 PM
thewave

Who were the offers for? Mac, Reims, Grabs and Kules?

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:18 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
But drafting high REALLY matters. That's all I ever hear on here. So why is it a negative I wrote that?

The Leafs gave up the 9th overall pick last year and it was the end of the world. Leaf fans comment on getting 5th overall and it's sad we bring it up. Why the double-standard?
When did I write either of these statements?

You're confused.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:24 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I kind of hate Burke - but giving him an extension would probably be the best thing to do right now to prevent desperation moves. That or firing him

Halak for a 4th to St. Louis is the benchmark for your argument - what in the hell were MTL thinking.
You must be living in a bizzaro world... or smoking/drinking very potent stuff.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Toronto has 3 #1 overall picks in the past three years? Toronto has to re-sign these guys plus others? Toronto doesn't have the same stance as Edmonton because Toronto HAS to make the playoffs. Edmonton doesn't HAVE to make the playoffs this year, or even next year. They have lots of time left. Toronto needs to make the playoffs or else the fans are going to go insane. Edmonton doesn't even know where they are playing in the next few years too.. I see them sticking with Dubnyk until they trade for Bernier.
rielly is the only good pick though

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:41 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Can I break this down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
You would have the crapiest team ever in the history of the nhl.
NOt quite but I see where you're coming from.

Quote:
You would then throw hissy fits until the end of the season because you may get first pick,
Most definitly. Me wanty First. Wanty First now.

Quote:
then draft some guys that wont pan out for 7 years if ever
Oooh snap. reality. Damn it.

Quote:
maybe trade some picks for guys not as good as what you had.
Double helping of reality. I'm already full, can't take it.

Loved the post.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:51 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
I kind of hate Burke - but giving him an extension would probably be the best thing to do right now to prevent desperation moves. That or firing him
Welcome to the dark side.

Seriously all that firing him would do is bring in another less selfassured(cause Burke is a bout as arrogant as it gets) person who might bend to the pressures of hte market and make the desperation type moves that cost this team Steen, Rask and more. I think Sten would be decent with Kessel. Better than Bozak. Not great but just better.

Quote:
Halak for a 4th to St. Louis is the benchmark for your argument - what in the hell were MTL thinking.
Goalies should be cheap right now. Colorado was crazy to give up a 1st for Varlamov.

I have no problem with bringing in a 35yr old goalie for 2 years IF the price is right.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:40 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
You would have the crapiest team ever in the history of the nhl. You would then throw hissy fits until the end of the season because you may get first pick, then draft some guys that wont pan out for 7 years if ever maybe trade some picks for guys not as good as what you had.
You missed my point.

I'm not questioning the player's values, nor am i saying we should've traded them no matter what offers were on the table. I'm simply questioning the unnecessary revelation by Burke that "we were offered X amount of draft picks", which goes with the general consensus that he runs his big mouth too much.