HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Targeting Luongo would be a mistake for both the Maple Leafs and Oilers

Old
10-27-2012, 09:48 PM
TheSilencer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Welcome to the dark side.

Seriously all that firing him would do is bring in another less selfassured(cause Burke is a bout as arrogant as it gets) person who might bend to the pressures of hte market and make the desperation type moves that cost this team Steen, Rask and more. I think Sten would be decent with Kessel. Better than Bozak. Not great but just better.

Goalies should be cheap right now. Colorado was crazy to give up a 1st for Varlamov.

I have no problem with bringing in a 35yr old goalie for 2 years IF the price is right.
I think Goalies, in general, never really go for a high price. The Colorado trade was definitely a shocker, especially considering the fact that there were rumors going around that Varlamov might bolt to KHL.

One thing i'm enjoying about this Luongo debacle is the ridiculous expectations that the Nucks' fans have about what they'll get in return.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:34 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Toronto has 3 #1 overall picks in the past three years? Toronto has to re-sign these guys plus others? Toronto doesn't have the same stance as Edmonton because Toronto HAS to make the playoffs. Edmonton doesn't HAVE to make the playoffs this year, or even next year. They have lots of time left. Toronto needs to make the playoffs or else the fans are going to go insane. Edmonton doesn't even know where they are playing in the next few years too.. I see them sticking with Dubnyk until they trade for Bernier.
I never understand comments like this. They're the only team that hasn't made the playoffs since the last CBA yet they are easily the NHL's richest team and sell-out every game with the NHL's highest ticket prices.

Where are these "Insane" Leaf fans exactly? They certainly aren't affecting MLSE at all financially.

Columbus missing the playoffs is actually a much bigger deal to the franchise than Toronto missing the playoffs.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:24 AM
MorriPage

Speaking only for myself, although I'm sure most rational people would share this opinion, I'm not going to go nuts if the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year. As long as I can see a natural progression towards relevance and a stockpiling of picks and legitimate prospects which can give me some level of assurance that the future is looking bright, I'm willing to sit tight and wait out the lean years until things turn around.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:02 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
Speaking only for myself, although I'm sure most rational people would share this opinion, I'm not going to go nuts if the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year. As long as I can see a natural progression towards relevance and a stockpiling of picks and legitimate prospects which can give me some level of assurance that the future is looking bright, I'm willing to sit tight and wait out the lean years until things turn around.
Browbeaten.

You should be furious.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:12 AM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Browbeaten.

You should be furious.
Riiiiiiiiight. And getting Luongo should make me... what? Giddy with delight?

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:14 AM
ANDI P IS CUTE

Quote:
Browbeaten.

You should be furious.

you know they haven't made the playoffs for 8 years now right? (if lockout lasts all year)

ANDI P IS CUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Browbeaten.

You should be furious.
First Leaf fans get blasted for being too impatient to accept a rebuild. Then Leaf fans get blasted for not being impatient enough.

I mean what is it about the Leafs that makes it so you just can't win?

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 3 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
First Leaf fans get blasted for being too impatient to accept a rebuild. Then Leaf fans get blasted for not being impatient enough.

I mean what is it about the Leafs that makes it so you just can't win?
It's a Habs fan obsession, just ignore it.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
Exactly. If we give up some of our younger players and get vets in return and still miss the playoffs, than that's bad.

If we trade some of our vets and get some more younger players in return and still miss the playoffs, than that's no where near as bad.

I expect to see a very different team after 2013 FA which should signify the end of the rebuild. It may not happen this way, everyone may resign, who know, but that's what I'm expecting.

I'm 50/50 on our playoff chances this year.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:52 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDI P IS CUTE View Post

you know they haven't made the playoffs for 8 years now right? (if lockout lasts all year)
And that is exactly why some fans are browbeaten.

They have learned to lower their hopes and expectations, rather than be furious that the best paid GM (and a genius in his own mind) have had so pitiful results after 4 years (in a few days).

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Fogelhund

At this point, I prefer to keep most of our quality prospects and continue building, even if it means missing the playoffs, for whenever that next NHL season might be. However, if a deal can be done, that doesn't mortgage our future, then it has to be considered. Losing any of MacA, Franson, Connolly/Lombardi and a second isn't going to be problematic to our future at all. If we had to throw in one of our winger prospects.. so be it.. we have a decent set of wingers already. I don't think we can get rid of our good D prospects, or any of our real C prospects, even though they haven't shown they are elite yet. This is an easy deal to walk away from as a Leafs fan, but if the deal is cheap enough, you can't just dismiss it.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote