HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... I'd love it if they revived the old Brooklyn Americans logo & sweater design. One of the best to ever hit the ice, but, BUT I'd prefer they do that as a 3rd jersey and slowly roll it into being their primary uniform over 5yrs or so. I mean, think about this; the Islanders only created to block the WHA in the first place yet despite that, successful, but not successful enough that their "mini-dynasty" and the players who made it happen largely forgotten & disrespected. Sandwiched in between the powerhouse Habs', up-start & brash Oilers teams of Gretzky & Messier.... Im happy and sad at the same time over this development. How long before Wang sells out completely you figure?

"Mini dynasty"? How many teams have won 19 consecutive playoff series? More like one of the greatest teams ever assembled in NHL history.

I'd like to know what a real dynasty is if the Islanders were only a mini one.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Do you really think this is the case? Would Michael Bloomberg, Markowitz, Bruce Ratner and Brett Yormark allow themselves to be used as pawns in negotiations with Nassau County? I have a hard time believing that.
As do I. The Barclays Center wants assurance that the Islanders will not suddenly cut and run. Someone drafting the deal would be committing malpractice if they didn't make sure there was a penalty, and a steep one, for breaking the lease. There isn't going to be a magical, painless "out" clause.

Echoes of 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves View Post
"Mini dynasty"? How many teams have won 19 consecutive playoff series? More like one of the greatest teams ever assembled in NHL history.

I'd like to know what a real dynasty is if the Islanders were only a mini one.

The guy obviously is separated from reality if he believes 4 straight championships is a "mini" dynasty. Where do these people come from?

Old
10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Brooklyn is a suburb of New York City just like Markham is a suburb of Toronto. So if Brooklyn can support the Islanders and the NHL is allowing this move, it might give some people the idea that the same thing could work in Markham.
It doesn't seem like you know much of anything about New York.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard

Quote:
Do you really think this is the case? Would Michael Bloomberg, Markowitz, Bruce Ratner and Brett Yormark allow themselves to be used as pawns in negotiations with Nassau County? I have a hard time believing that.
When it comes to the Machiavellian Mind of one Charles Wang, all Bets are Off. Bloomberg, Markowitz, Ratner & even the highly manipulative Yormark's have absolutely no idea what & who their dealing with. Lightweights. This guy has gall, wisdom & hubris thats off-planet. Most people left spitting dust out of their mouths' after an encounter with the guy. Large and in-charge is old Charlie. Only way to disarm him is with humour. Megalomaniac. Divine Rights. Past Lives. Only language he understands and even then bridles. Bet your Bippy this whole Dealeo is Shock Treatment for the Nassau County's pols. He DEMANDS his bread be buttered on both sides or else...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:36 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Umm...

Why WOULDN'T they re-make the jerseys? It's an excellent opportunity to make some serious revenue off merchandising that they would not otherwise have. They may wait a couple years, but they'll definitely be updating the jerseys (That Brooklyn Bridge logo looks awesome). They haven't been afraid to mess with their classic logo in the past, no reason to think they will now. I'm sure the name and colour scheme will remain, but there is bound to be a re-release of the jersey.
Bingo. I think they should keep the name Islanders and just tweak the logo but from a merchandise perspective if they don't change the name to Brooklyn they are out of their minds.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:40 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Umm...

Why WOULDN'T they re-make the jerseys? It's an excellent opportunity to make some serious revenue off merchandising that they would not otherwise have. They may wait a couple years, but they'll definitely be updating the jerseys (That Brooklyn Bridge logo looks awesome). They haven't been afraid to mess with their classic logo in the past, no reason to think they will now. I'm sure the name and colour scheme will remain, but there is bound to be a re-release of the jersey.
Because the key to their financial success is DEMAND in the smaller venue. To maximize demand, you don't want to trade Nassau fans for Brooklyn fans. You want to get EVERYONE.

Brooklyn fans can be lured in by:
A - Getting the team in their backyard.
B - A Brooklyn themed shoulder patch / Third jersey with the patches swapped.

Nassau fans can be retained by:
A - Keeping the name / colors the same.
B - Keeping the home/road sweaters intact with the classic look, except adding a shoulder patch.

The Brooklyn Bridge logo looks pretty sharp... for an event logo.

I don't think that works on a jersey though.

On a jersey, make a round Brooklyn themed secondary logo for the shoulders of home/road; make a third jersey featuring the secondary logo, with the primary as the shoulder patch. Emphasize blue and white for the old Dodgers nostalgia, and downplay the orange since it was the NY Giants color:

Last edited by KevFu: 10-24-2012 at 06:45 PM.
KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:48 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
When it comes to the Machiavellian Mind of one Charles Wang, all Bets are Off. Bloomberg, Markowitz, Ratner & even the highly manipulative Yormark's have absolutely no idea what & who their dealing with. Lightweights. This guy has gall, wisdom & hubris thats off-planet. Most people left spitting dust out of their mouths' after an encounter with the guy. Large and in-charge is old Charlie. Only way to disarm him is with humour. Megalomaniac. Divine Rights. Past Lives. Only language he understands and even then bridles. Bet your Bippy this whole Dealeo is Shock Treatment for the Nassau County's pols. He DEMANDS his bread be buttered on both sides or else...
You know, I love reading your posts and garnering insight from them, but there's NO way in heck (IMHO ) that said group would allow themselves to be manipulated in such a fashion. There HAS to be a heavy penalty for breaking the lease they're about to sign / have signed at Barclays - I can't believe that those involved wouldn't ensure that this is the case before entering into these negotiations. Given this, I doubt it's simply a negotation tactic.

All my opinion, of course.

For Islanders fans: very happy to see the team stay "local". I remember watching the Islanders steamroll through teams during their dynasty - good times.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:09 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 50
Quick question, what does this move do for thier revenue. Will this move help them get more revenue? Will it help them get financially better?

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:11 PM
CN_paladin

So if the team name stays the same, is Wang changing the logo with something more Brooklynish to appeal to potential local fans?

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
wht most of you posters are forgetting, even when it's pointed out, multiple times is nothing has changed w/ the Islanders.... the Nets are the one franchise that has no true history even in NY, Does any one here remember that Julius Erving wasn't always a 76er, look back at the history of the Nets,and why they are BROOKLYN...
Been there, done that, had the Red-White-and-Blue basketball ...

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:22 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
Bingo. I think they should keep the name Islanders and just tweak the logo but from a merchandise perspective if they don't change the name to Brooklyn they are out of their minds.
Re. merchandise sales: On the first day it was available (with no player specific gear) the Brooklyn Nets sold more stuff than the NJ Nets did all last season.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47831684/Nets...g_Team_Records

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

This is the most they should do in terms of changes, if anything:

1. Change the name to "The New York Islanders of Brooklyn"

2. Keep the main logo intact but add a Brooklyn themed shoulder patch and maybe alter the color scheme slightly.

3. Have a 3rd/alternate jersey with a more Brooklyn feel main logo.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Quick question, what does this move do for thier revenue. Will this move help them get more revenue? Will it help them get financially better?
I doubt Bettman would have greenlighted the move, if he didn't think it'd help make them a financially secure francchise.

Barclay's has a lot more luxury boxes, the tixs are very likely to be higher.
They keep their cable deal by staying local.
The new cba will give them revenue sharing.

Isles will need to ice a competitive product. They have to hope that a few of their inconsistent kids like KO and Grabner are playing more consistently, that top youngsters like Strome, Nino and Reinhart are contributing.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves View Post
"Mini dynasty"? How many teams have won 19 consecutive playoff series? More like one of the greatest teams ever assembled in NHL history. I'd like to know what a real dynasty is if the Islanders were only a mini one.
... really? Why dont you ask Mike Bossy who pays his bills & rent by being a "joke" of a DJ at CHOM FM Montreal as the host of their Mon-Fri "Electric Lunch Hour"?. Denis Potvin who as a roving Maniac Sportsnet Reporter & Commentator is rarely brought into the studio because he's not "congenitally camera friendly"? Excuse Me?.

Quote:
You know, I love reading your posts...
Thank you. I enjoy reading yours as well. Dont believe "opinions are like ***HOLES". Enjoy the raprtee'. But your WRONG.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

2. Keep the main logo intact but add a Brooklyn themed shoulder patch and maybe alter the color scheme slightly.

Even though they will be the "NY Islanders" for some undefined period, I think #3 is certain, and I would not be surprised with some initial jersey modifications.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
(...)

Thank you. I enjoy reading yours as well. Dont believe "opinions are like ***HOLES". Enjoy the raprtee'. But your WRONG.
We shall see. Happy to come back and admit that my opinion was misguided if this was a massive ruse on Wang's part. If it IS a ruse, then he's got an astounding amount of hubris to pull something like this.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard

... cool. so the Cryps & Bloods in east LA will have new colours to wear when Long Island sinks yes? Add that jersey to the Seals, KC Scouts, Mexican mfgt knock-offs & Chinese imports, were rockin.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:44 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Short answer: Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I doubt Bettman would have greenlighted the move, if he didn't think it'd help make them a financially secure francchise.

While the deciding factor here is the lease terms, the simple fact is: New arena = modern revenue streams.
Even if ticket sales remain constant, there's more advertising, concessions, points of sale, suites and club seats.

When you compare the breakdown of revenues from teams like NJ and PHX to the Islanders and subtract all the KNOWN sources (tickets, TV, league distributed money, etc) you discover the Devils and Coyotes somehow have $15-$25 million more in "unattributed revenues" than the Islanders have had. That money is coming from having modern arenas.

I'm not suggesting the Islanders will necessarily be $15-$25 million higher in revenues because it really depends on the terms of the lease. But there's no way the Islanders make this move without a lease that ensures them of having a better financial situation HERE than declaring free agency at the end of 2014-15 and going to Quebec, Seattle, etc. So, I guess I AM saying they'll have at least $15 to $25 million more in revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
So if the team name stays the same, is Wang changing the logo with something more Brooklynish to appeal to potential local fans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Already announced: "the New York Islanders name and logo will remain unchanged."

Adding a secondary logo to appeal to Brooklynites, and featuring that logo on a third jersey is most likely.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:48 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
We shall see. Happy to come back and admit that my opinion was misguided if this was a massive ruse on Wang's part. If it IS a ruse, then he's got an astounding amount of hubris to pull something like this.
This is no ruse. Just a sad day for a few ranger fans and the relocation happy crowd.

The idea that Wang would try to put over a scam on the NHL's commissioner, NYC's mayor (Bloomberg) and Barclay's owners and execs, is grasping at straws from some unhappy NYR fans and fans hoping for relocation.

Guys... get back to us in 28 yrs.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:00 PM
KevFu

Quote:
... really? Why dont you ask Mike Bossy who pays his bills & rent by being a "joke" of a DJ at CHOM FM Montreal as the host of their Mon-Fri "Electric Lunch Hour"?. Denis Potvin who as a roving Maniac Sportsnet Reporter & Commentator is rarely brought into the studio because he's not "congenitally camera friendly"? Excuse Me?.

So according to Killion only four sports teams in North America would even be dynasty candidates:
Yankees 1949-1953
Canadiens 1956-1960
Celtics 1959-1966
UCLA 1967-1973

No 1920s, 1930s, 1990s Yankees.
No Oilers, Islanders or multiple Canadiens dynasties.
No Lakers or Bulls dynasties

?

Old
10-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Short answer...
... Wow. You certainly are sure of yourself Kevy. Normally I'd admire that kind of hubris & arrogance. Love it. But in this case? Not so much, as in not at all.... do believe Tarantino's directing a script written by Rob Zombie addressing these very issues, Nightmare on Sugar Bowl Drive, but no matter... Your in the Big Easy so I forgive you for having a full spectrum imagination beyond just Black, White, Floods, Rats & Airboats... who plays lead? An age'd Kurt Russell or Robert Carlyle with a Glaswegian accent, Machete in hand? Perhaps youd like to see my Reel? Beyond Bill Nighy as King of the Vampyres'.

Can you handle it Son?

Old
10-24-2012, 08:16 PM
KevFu

Quote:
... Wow. You certainly are sure of yourself Kevy. Normally I'd admire that kind of hubris & arrogance. Love it. But in this case? Not so much, as in not at all.... do believe Tarantino's directing a script written by Rob Zombie addressing these very issues, Nightmare on Sugar Bowl Drive, but no matter... Your in the Big Easy so I forgive you for having a full spectrum imagination beyond just Black, White, Floods, Rats & Airboats... who plays lead? An age'd Kurt Russell or Robert Carlyle with a Glaswegian accent, Machete in hand? Perhaps youd like to see my Reel? Beyond Bill Nighy as King of the Vampyres'.

Can you handle it Son?
I should change that. I'm in California now.

BTW, beyond common sense, my certaincy stems from the fact that if a new arena doesn't lead to $15 million more in revenue, the Islanders will probably get revenue sharing payments in the new CBA. So yeah. Book it.

Although, for a horror movie comparison, I'd go with Friday the 13th.
Living in a dilapidated shack, dead and dormant for years, but coming back to hack up fools. And anyone who went near the crease on Billy Smith knows what it's like to be slashed with a machete by a hockey-masked wearing psychopath

Last edited by KevFu: 10-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 08:26 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Isles will need to ice a competitive product. They have to hope that a few of their inconsistent kids like KO and Grabner are playing more consistently, that top youngsters like Strome, Nino and Reinhart are contributing.
I still don't understand why a team in a market of 22 million should get revenue sharing.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Ogopogo*

Are they going to resurrect the name Brooklyn Americans? The unis were really cool back in the day.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote