HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
10-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post

Saw this design online and loved it.. Not sure if posted yet..
The problem is that a 'nautical' theme is incongruent with what comes to mind when one thinks about Brooklyn.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:56 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I think a revenue sharing system shouldn't exclude teams based on just ONE factor, when revenue is tied to a number of factors. Exclusions to revenue sharing should be based on "do you meet the ideal conditions for generating revenue? You do? Then don't piss off your fans and you'll have all the revenue you need. You ain't getting none from us."

But there's more to ideal conditions for generating revenue than "number of households in the market." That exclusion wasn't picked because 2 million households is the ideal economic climate for NHL teams. It was picked specifically to exclude Chicago, since their presence in the bottom of revenues was based on not selling their TV rights. The Islanders were collateral damage.

When the biggest market has teams #2, #15 and #30 in revenues all located in it, there's clearly not a very strong relation between market size and revenue.

If you look for what has the strongest correlation to revenues, the answer is simple: Do you own/operate a modern arena, or do you lease one? 14 of the top 17 revenue teams own and operate OR don't own, but were handed the keys to a free venue.

All of my proposals (as an Islanders fan) to revise the NHL's revenue sharing exclusions were to include any team leasing an arena over 35 years old. THAT'S why the Islanders need it.

And the second they move into Barclays, they should STOP getting it.
I can agree with that.

My belief that a certain amount of onus must be placed on the franchises. I don't want a revenue sharing system like baseball where owners Loria in Miami or Nutting in Pittsburgh can run their teams into the ground and still turn a profit. It is one thing to subsidize disparity (created by market size, arena, etc.), it is another to subsidize incompetence.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
The problem is that a 'nautical' theme is incongruent with what comes to mind when one thinks about Brooklyn.
But we are still the NY Islanders and that island is Long Island. Brooklyn is at the west end of the island, that lighthouse is at the very east end. So something encompassing both (not this one though) fits very well.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:29 AM
popo

Quote:
Not everyone, I think of it's historical significance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Navy_Yard

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post

Saw this design online and loved it.. Not sure if posted yet..
Itd be cool as a shoulder patch on like a 3rd jersey taht says brooklyn across it...something like that. Marketing, more loot on a 3rd jerz, etc.

As for the lighthouse not tying into the brooklyn area, Its not the brooklyn *enter team name*, its the ny islanders still, and their roots are and will always be the island. Not exactly like uniondale is full of lighthouses.

And lastly, brooklyn is technically ON long island. Its a borough of NY, but its on the island. I wasnt aware that long island was only nassau and suffolk. Does North America stop at texas just bc mexico isnt part of america? Maybe thats a reach, but im trying to make a point...an invisible line and some signs doesnt mean a body of land just stops. A toll is a toll and an island is a island!

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:07 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.telegram.com/article/2012...s#.UIlUO4Xrl3I

Quote:
The New York Islandersí move to Brooklyn means that the long-held assumption that the Rangers would wind up moving their AHL affiliate there is out the window. The last couple of seasons have been tough in Hartford, at least off the ice, so it will be interesting to see how long the Rangers stay in Connecticut.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Does anyone know if the Barclays Center and Nassau Coliseum outsource their arena management to a company like Spectacor or Anschutz EG?

10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Does anyone know if the Barclays Center and Nassau Coliseum outsource their arena management to a company like Spectacor or Anschutz EG?
For decades, SMG has been the isles Coliseum landlord.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Brooklyn is the Western tip of Long Island. For whatever cultural reasons, we think of it as separate, but no reason for a name change. You can go from one end of Brooklyn to the Eastern edge of Long Island without crossing water.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
tape to tape

So, the Barclays Center is less than a 7 mile drive from Madison Square Garden. If you were the owner of the Rangers, wouldn't you be seeking some compensation?

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Sad Panda

I'm only a fan of this move if they keep the current team name, color scheme, home/away uniforms, and the same logo for the most part. Obviously I expect a few minor changes to it.

At most they can create a new shoulder patch about Brooklyn and a new third jersey, since the current third is one of the worst things ever crafted.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Mwd711

Quote:
AEG operates Barclays.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:55 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
So, the Barclays Center is less than a 7 mile drive from Madison Square Garden. If you were the owner of the Rangers, wouldn't you be seeking some compensation?
It's a good idea. As a Westchester resident, I would consider going to rangers games presently, but not to Islanders. This probably changes that (to my great delight, since Islanders games are much cheaper).

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
My daughter and I watch boats and ships with Manhattan, Jersey, and (most importantly) the Statue of Liberty as backdrop every Saturday after going to Fairway in Red Hook. The sailboats and yachts in the summer are a sight.

The Port Authority docks where the demonstrations for Fleet Week are 1.5 miles west of Barclays right off Atlantic Ave... My daughter already wants to be a pilot of a Navy Rescue Helicopter.

So, yeah, the nautical theme is pretty congruent!

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:27 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Too late. The Islanders paid their territory indemnification fee to the Rangers when they entered the NHL.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Yes, what could be nautical about a team that plays in Atlantic Yards, right across from Atlantic Terminal, all located on Atlantic Avenue

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Sather said he thought the Isles in Brooklyn would be a great idea.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:40 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Rangers already got compensated when the Islanders moved into their territory in 1972.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Exactly. I like it, but it makes me think of Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk). If they're going to add a shoulder patch/new logo of some sort, it has to scream Brooklyn especially since they're not going to change their name. The most obvious thing is to incorporate the Brooklyn Bridge somehow in a logo.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
My daughter and I watch boats and ships with Manhattan, Jersey, and (most importantly) the Statue of Liberty as backdrop every Saturday after going to Fairway in Red Hook. The sailboats and yachts in the summer are a sight.

The Port Authority docks where the demonstrations for Fleet Week are 1.5 miles west of Barclays right off Atlantic Ave... My daughter already wants to be a pilot of a Navy Rescue Helicopter.

So, yeah, the nautical theme is pretty congruent!

Cheers,

Dan-o
I hear what you're saying Dan-o, but come on, when you see a lighthouse, tell me you don't think of Long Island first? No one associates lighthouses with Brooklyn.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
For decades, SMG has been the isles Coliseum landlord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwd711 View Post
AEG operates Barclays.
Then my guess is that AEG will at some point offer to help bankroll a buyout of the existing lease between Nassau Coliseum & the Islanders. That's 3 seasons of home dates with higher price point products and with likely a higher attendance average that AEG could immediately add to their revenues...big $$$.

Consequently, that may also justify AEG raising the asking price for their firm in the previously announced sale of the company.

SMG may object fiercely though, if they have a sweetheart agreement in place with Nassau county.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
I hear what you're saying Dan-o, but come on, when you see a lighthouse, tell me you don't think of Long Island first? No one associates lighthouses with Brooklyn.
Nobody outside of the NYC Area really associates them with New York, either.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:14 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Seven? We should build an arena at the end of the midtown tunnel and cut that in half just to piss them off.

Quote:
Then my guess is that AEG will at some point offer to help bankroll a buyout of the existing lease between Nassau Coliseum & the Islanders. That's 3 seasons of home dates with higher price point products and with likely a higher attendance average that AEG could immediately add to their revenues...big $$$.

Consequently, that may justify AEG raising the asking price for their firm in the previously announced sale of the company.

SMG may object fiercely though, if they have a sweetheart agreement in place already with Nassau county.
That's a solid concept. Wang would owe the county $9 million over three years and who know what to SMG.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That be may be true too, but if there was an area in NY you'd have to associate with a lighthouse, it would be Long Island.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Plenty of people in LI associates themselves with NY.