HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2012, 02:54 PM
  #451
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
I hear what you're saying Dan-o, but come on, when you see a lighthouse, tell me you don't think of Long Island first? No one associates lighthouses with Brooklyn.
Actually, I think New England, and how hard Long Island wanted to be New England. And I try *not* to think about Long Island first with respect to anything. Except that it's where my parents live.

There are btw, operating lighthouses in NY Harbor that you can see from Brooklyn, but mostly coating Staten Island and NJ (e.g. Robbins Reef). There are also lighthouses on Governors Island, but they're much more utilitarian than the majestic New England style jobs.

So, I don't like the lighthouse theme. Nor do I like the bridge theme (we are no longer our connection to Manhattan). Let's just do the whole Island, in royal blue and orange, and call it a day.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
  #452
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Plenty of people in LI associates themselves with NY.
I think you should re-read what you responded to.


Lighthouses aren't really part of the Islanders uniform now anyways. They got rid of the patch a long time ago.

My guess is that everything stays the same with logo except they'll add Brooklyn and Queens to it, making it a logo with geographic Long Island.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:01 PM
  #453
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,272
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I think you should re-read what you responded to.


Lighthouses aren't really part of the Islanders uniform now anyways. They got rid of the patch a long time ago.

My guess is that everything stays the same with logo except they'll add Brooklyn and Queens to it, making it a logo with geographic Long Island.


Oops. Yeah, lighthouses have nothing to do with Brooklyn, unless you count that fake one by Jordan's Lobster Dock.

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:09 PM
  #454
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I can agree with that.

My belief that a certain amount of onus must be placed on the franchises. I don't want a revenue sharing system like baseball where owners Loria in Miami or Nutting in Pittsburgh can run their teams into the ground and still turn a profit. It is one thing to subsidize disparity (created by market size, arena, etc.), it is another to subsidize incompetence.
I agree, but it's a chicken or the egg thing: Broke because you're incompetent, or are do you look incompetent because you're too broke to look smart.

The Islanders have had plenty of incompetence, but the financial situation simply isn't the fault of the recent regimes, no matter how incompetent they were.

When the lease from hell was signed in 1985, the NHL didn't allow ads on the boards or ice; scoreboards had only INFORMATION on them, and concessions were refreshments/snacks. Fast forward 20 years and those things are millions of dollars the Islanders lost.


But you can't go case-by-case for revenue sharing. You need a league-wide policy, and nothing correlates to revenue like the arena ownership issue. Make some formula for RS: lease/own component, market size component, etc.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:50 PM
  #455
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 8,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
So, the Barclays Center is less than a 7 mile drive from Madison Square Garden. If you were the owner of the Rangers, wouldn't you be seeking some compensation?
The Islanders are allowed to move anywhere on Long Island. Brooklyn is on Long Island. Brooklyn and Queens were specifically mentioned in the agreement that let the Islanders join the NHL, as potential locations.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:21 PM
  #456
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
So, the Barclays Center is less than a 7 mile drive from Madison Square Garden. If you were the owner of the Rangers, wouldn't you be seeking some compensation?
Rangers already received compensation when the Isles first located in the area, they can't ask for more now.

And while it may only be 7 miles (I actually think it's closer to 6), it could easily take up to 1 1/2 hours given the traffic situation. Much better to take the subway.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:23 PM
  #457
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
The question of whether you re-brand isn't one of whether the Islanders theme "makes sense", it's whether the brand isn't poisoned as (1) L.I. suburban, uncool and (2) incompetent losing team. It may simply stand in the way of winning new fans in Brooklyn and Queens or even New Jersey that are now very close to the team geographically.

There is nothing wrong with the orange/blue color scheme as that's New York City's colors and it works with the Mets and Knicks, but the Islanders name might simply smell too much of a lousy team out on the island to capture the full benefit of being in Brooklyn.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:43 PM
  #458
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,411
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The question of whether you re-brand isn't one of whether the Islanders theme "makes sense", it's whether the brand isn't poisoned as (1) L.I. suburban, uncool and (2) incompetent losing team. It may simply stand in the way of winning new fans in Brooklyn and Queens or even New Jersey that are now very close to the team geographically.

There is nothing wrong with the orange/blue color scheme as that's New York City's colors and it works with the Mets and Knicks, but the Islanders name might simply smell too much of a lousy team out on the island to capture the full benefit of being in Brooklyn.
The isles on ice product, how competitive they are will decide whether they catch the tix buyers interest.

If in 3 yrs the NYI do not have a winning product to put on the ice, then that means their youngsters have failed to develop.

22-25 yr olds Bailey, Okposo and Grabner didn't developed consistency.

18-20 yr olds Strome, Reinhart, Nino, Mayfield, Pelech, Donovan, De Haan, Cizikas, Kabanov, Poulin didn't develop and contribute at the NHl level.

22 yr old Hamonic didn't develop into the anchor on the blueline.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:44 PM
  #459
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,411
vCash: 1300
B.D. Galloff Brooklyn article.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...slanders-away/

• How many more seats can Barclays Center hold? (per Bettman Wednesday, might be as many as 15,500)

• How big will the Islanders’ potential piece of Barclay’s MASSIVE luxury suites be?

• What will be their take of parking, concessions and merchandise?

• And, remember, those 14,500 (or now 15,500) seats will be priced 25 percent higher than the seats at the Coliseum, which would be equivalent to 17,300 Coliseum seats.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:33 PM
  #460
Bucky_Hoyt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Country: Canada
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
B.D. Galloff Brooklyn article.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...slanders-away/

• How many more seats can Barclays Center hold? (per Bettman Wednesday, might be as many as 15,500)

• How big will the Islanders’ potential piece of Barclay’s MASSIVE luxury suites be?

• What will be their take of parking, concessions and merchandise?

• And, remember, those 14,500 (or now 15,500) seats will be priced 25 percent higher than the seats at the Coliseum, which would be equivalent to 17,300 Coliseum seats.
Can’t say I am the biggest fan of the rink configuration but they do have almost 3 years to make renovations during NBA off-seasons. Might be expensive in the short term but not impossible. If the areas along the boards were renovated to properly center the rink, could get it to 17k.

Bucky_Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:27 PM
  #461
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Improved management key to Islanders turnaround

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...urnaround.html

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:59 PM
  #462
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,307
vCash: 500
What I want to know is, what will happen in the meantime? Will people still go to the Nassau Coliseum? When in Montreal they talked about possibly building a new Stadium, people were waiting for the new thing and stopped going to the Big O altogether.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:03 AM
  #463
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,194
vCash: 500
they're "relocating" 20 miles

I'm pretty sure I remember people going to Lions games at the Silverdome while they were building Ford Field, and that was an even bigger "move"

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:45 AM
  #464
madhi19
Just the tip!
 
madhi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cold and Dark place!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Rangers already received compensation when the Isles first located in the area, they can't ask for more now.

And while it may only be 7 miles (I actually think it's closer to 6), it could easily take up to 1 1/2 hours given the traffic situation. Much better to take the subway.
Also that cable deal that kept the Islander in the region is with Madison Square Garden Network. The Rangers will actually profit greatly if the Islanders fix their mess and increase their TV ratting. It one of the reason why the current Leafs ownership structure will not mind another team in Toronto the way they did in the past. It more content for the TV side of the business.

madhi19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:47 AM
  #465
peter sullivan
Winnipeg
 
peter sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
they would be stupid to keep the name.....the marketing potential is massive....long island has suburban, white picket fence and abandon beach connotations....Brooklyn is urban, cool and sexy.

I'd run as far from the name as possible and brand it all new york city....edgier colours, modern graphics, tougher image.....i might even take the name dodgers.

the islanders pretty much have the worst logo anyways....a map of the island?...really?......a fresh start could turn them into the merch. leaders in the NHL.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:58 AM
  #466
madhi19
Just the tip!
 
madhi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cold and Dark place!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
they would be stupid to keep the name.....the marketing potential is massive....long island has suburban, white picket fence and abandon beach connotations....Brooklyn is urban, cool and sexy.

I'd run as far from the name as possible and brand it all new york city....edgier colours, modern graphics, tougher image.....i might even take the name dodgers.

the islanders pretty much have the worst logo anyways....a map of the island?...really?......a fresh start could turn them into the merch. leaders in the NHL.
It kind of hard to move away from a name that linked to one of the last Stanley Cup dynasty! And the only one by an American team*. Off course the Brooklyn Islanders does not sound too bad and I would not mind if they changed the whole image but keep the Islanders name. Drop that damn blue for starter the Rangers are blue go for something else maybe red.

*Of the modern era!

madhi19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:14 AM
  #467
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What I want to know is, what will happen in the meantime? Will people still go to the Nassau Coliseum? When in Montreal they talked about possibly building a new Stadium, people were waiting for the new thing and stopped going to the Big O altogether.
I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is:
I said a new arena deal would bring all the fans out of the woodwork, and the place would be packed. Expect a sharp ticket increase.

There's people who are upset they are leaving. But odds are most are going to decide "I better go while they're still close." This isn't relocation. They're still the New York Islanders, they just moved 20.1 miles east.

(And if I'm wrong, I will blame the lockout!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
they would be stupid to keep the name.....the marketing potential is massive....long island has suburban, white picket fence and abandon beach connotations....Brooklyn is urban, cool and sexy.

I'd run as far from the name as possible and brand it all new york city....edgier colours, modern graphics, tougher image.....i might even take the name dodgers.
You can do both. Nothing prevents them from making Brooklyn gear and having it sell like mad.

The Dodgers own the name, so you can't do that. But you can definitely market in a Brooklyn Dodgers fashion.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:15 AM
  #468
LikeChristmasMorning
The Pride of Newark
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
they're "relocating" 20 miles

I'm pretty sure I remember people going to Lions games at the Silverdome while they were building Ford Field, and that was an even bigger "move"
Apples, oranges, pineapples and grapefruits.

20 miles on the LIE and BQE can easily take over an hour during rush hour. Van Wyck, to what? Atlantic Ave? Good luck.

The train is lovely, but hoping it catches on with the suburbanites is just that, hope. MLB and NFL are not rational comparisons for numerous and obvious reasons. If it's not obvious to you, Met Life, Citi Field and Yaknee Stadium all have massive parking lots. Oh, and those are "real" sports in this town - much to my dismay.

And the comparison of Detroit - and Michigan as a whole - is LOL worthy. The congestion and culture of mass transit vs car people doesn't exist. Nevermind the disparity of options between the two areas regarding places in which to spend your disposable income.

The Isles would be retarded to not re-brand in some way at some stage. Considering the disaster which is the Dolans and MSG in general, most NY'ers are begging for an alternative.

LikeChristmasMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:01 AM
  #469
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeChristmasMorning View Post
Apples, oranges, pineapples and grapefruits.

20 miles on the LIE and BQE can easily take over an hour during rush hour. Van Wyck, to what? Atlantic Ave? Good luck.

The train is lovely, but hoping it catches on with the suburbanites is just that, hope. MLB and NFL are not rational comparisons for numerous and obvious reasons. If it's not obvious to you, Met Life, Citi Field and Yaknee Stadium all have massive parking lots. Oh, and those are "real" sports in this town - much to my dismay.

And the comparison of Detroit - and Michigan as a whole - is LOL worthy. The congestion and culture of mass transit vs car people doesn't exist. Nevermind the disparity of options between the two areas regarding places in which to spend your disposable income.

The Isles would be retarded to not re-brand in some way at some stage. Considering the disaster which is the Dolans and MSG in general, most NY'ers are begging for an alternative.

#1 - The Los Angeles Lakers moved within their market from Inglewood to downtown. Not only did they not rebrand when they moved, they're still the Lakers from when they were IN MINNESOTA. The closest (man made) Lake to the Staples Center is 59.7 miles away. The Lakers didn't change their name because they had a history and championships.

#2 - When I think of history of Jazz, the first city that comes to mind is SALT LAKE CITY.

#3 - Would anyone say a friggin thing if any of the teams in the Dallas metroplex moved within said metroplex? Hell no.

Only because the team nickname is ISLANDERS is anyone saying something here. And they weren't the NASSAU Islanders three days ago, they are the NEW YORK Islanders.

Rebranding alienates the existing fan base. And when you're in last place, and haven't won a playoff series since 1993, you need all the fans you can get. Keep the name, keep the old fans. The new fans in Brooklyn will come. The bandwagons will hop on the bandwagon WHEN THE TEAM WINS.

This is a non-issue.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:25 AM
  #470
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeChristmasMorning View Post
Apples, oranges, pineapples and grapefruits.

20 miles on the LIE and BQE can easily take over an hour during rush hour. Van Wyck, to what? Atlantic Ave? Good luck.

The train is lovely, but hoping it catches on with the suburbanites is just that, hope. MLB and NFL are not rational comparisons for numerous and obvious reasons. If it's not obvious to you, Met Life, Citi Field and Yaknee Stadium all have massive parking lots. Oh, and those are "real" sports in this town - much to my dismay.

And the comparison of Detroit - and Michigan as a whole - is LOL worthy. The congestion and culture of mass transit vs car people doesn't exist. Nevermind the disparity of options between the two areas regarding places in which to spend your disposable income.
And the drive from Pontiac to Detroit can easily take an hour plus in rush hour, too... New York didn't invent congestion on freeways nor do they own a patent on gridlock. As for options on where to spend disposable income, I've been to Nassau County. It's all malls and subdivisions. Whatever options there are for people, they're all in the city anyway making such an issue totally and completely moot, wouldn't you agree?

We've all seen the Seinfeld episode where Kramer thinks dating a girl who lives downtown is a long distance relationship and had a good laugh... can New Yorkers please get over the protestations about how tough it is to have to commute to a sporting event like the rest of the world?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
  #471
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
And the drive from Pontiac to Detroit can easily take an hour plus in rush hour, too... New York didn't invent congestion on freeways nor do they own a patent on gridlock. As for options on where to spend disposable income, I've been to Nassau County. It's all malls and subdivisions. Whatever options there are for people, they're all in the city anyway making such an issue totally and completely moot, wouldn't you agree?
Nailed it. Brooklyn and Queens have been adding destinations for years. Nassau? Not so much. My proof: the massive numbers of German and Australian tourists.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:51 AM
  #472
Bexlyspeed
Registered User
 
Bexlyspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Country: United States
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It kind of hard to move away from a name that linked to one of the last Stanley Cup dynasty! And the only one by an American team*. Off course the Brooklyn Islanders does not sound too bad and I would not mind if they changed the whole image but keep the Islanders name. Drop that damn blue for starter the Rangers are blue go for something else maybe red.

*Of the modern era!
you guys are out of your minds! The are the New York Islanders and they wear the colors of New York. im sure they will go with some sort of third jersey that will have all these gimmicks you speak of , but to totally overhaul the name and identity of the team is mornonic.
islanders fans fought for years to get the original uniforms back, if your going to change the logo, the name and the colors then they might as well have just moved the team to seattle or Quebec.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:02 AM
  #473
madhi19
Just the tip!
 
madhi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cold and Dark place!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
you guys are out of your minds! The are the New York Islanders and they wear the colors of New York. im sure they will go with some sort of third jersey that will have all these gimmicks you speak of , but to totally overhaul the name and identity of the team is mornonic.
islanders fans fought for years to get the original uniforms back, if your going to change the logo, the name and the colors then they might as well have just moved the team to seattle or Quebec.
Hey whatever float your boat but if I was running the marketing I would zero in on a Brooklyn identity. You want to identify with a place more closely than just New-York because somebody else is doing that. The Rangers are New-York team by calling the team the Brooklyn Islanders you separate and draw a line with your direct competition.

madhi19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:30 AM
  #474
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,938
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Hey whatever float your boat but if I was running the marketing I would zero in on a Brooklyn identity. You want to identify with a place more closely than just New-York because somebody else is doing that. The Rangers are New-York team by calling the team the Brooklyn Islanders you separate and draw a line with your direct competition.




http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=357

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:00 AM
  #475
dcv2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Anyone who drives to the Barclay Center has to be insane. There is no parking there. And most people who travel into MSG, especially from LI, take the train also. It's about 30 minutes by train from the nearest station to the Coliseum to the Barclays Center.....

dcv2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.