HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
10-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
The is 100% false, Brooklyn is on Long Island... Please just worry about Canada, there is no doubt in my mind that they will still be called the NEW YORK ISLANDERS!!!
They should at least change to Brooklyn Islanders.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Why? They still play in New York.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:50 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I had a friend asked me how I must feel to have "lost" the Islanders because they were moving. And he wasn't even a Californian or New Orleanian; he was from Cleveland. It's no different than the Lakers & Kings moving from the Forum to Staples.
Having lived in NY and Cleveland let me tell you something. Clevelanders don't think of themselves in a regional way. Like remember the whole LeBron saying he wasn't from Cleveland he was from Akron. Well Akron is about as far from Cleveland as White Plains is from NYC. Do people from White Plains say "I'm not from New York I am White Plains" Also anything more than 25 minutes away and you might as well be in China.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Months ago, before touring Barclay's Center, Bettman questioned how a move to Barclay's would inconvience some NYI fans. He has to know most NYI fans and none of the alumni, want the colors or logo to change.

There have been a ton of articles since the press conference. I thought I read a comment in one, that the league would not let the isles change their logo and colors.
Has anyone read anything, about the league saying no changes?
Well it I think it's a fairly minor change. You keep part of the old logo, you keep the same colors and the name doesn't even change.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:15 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Following that logic the Rangers should be called the Manhattan Rangers...Brooklyn New York as much as Manhattan or any other of the five counties.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:38 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post

Nothing from the league expanding on that. The reports from before the press conference stated the NHL insisted.

I'm sure Wang/Bettman chatted about it.
From a league standpoint, I think it's a "avoid the appearance of relocation." So few people outside the area grasp the tiny distance between "Long Island" and "Brookyln" that a name change implies "relocation."

I had a friend asked me how I must feel to have "lost" the Islanders because they were moving. And he wasn't even a Californian or New Orleanian; he was from Cleveland. It's no different than the Lakers & Kings moving from the Forum to Staples.

I think the LA Kings comparison is spot on. I'm surprised by some of the silly questions and suggestions:

Will they take the championship banners and retired jerseys to Barclay Center?

How about re-naming them the Brooklyn Knights

Isles are moving 27 miles away. Not 2700 miles away.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:40 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well it I think it's a fairly minor change. You keep part of the old logo, you keep the same colors and the name doesn't even change.
Are you talking about the logo, that shows LI from Brooklyn to the eastern end?

That's about the only suggested logo that's half decent imo. Too many of the others are too radical, too big a change.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Bert Marshall days

It's like the Caps moving from the burbs to downtown. NOT a relocation.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Are you talking about the logo, that shows LI from Brooklyn to the eastern end?

That's about the only suggested logo that's half decent imo. Too many of the others are too radical, too big a change.
Yea the logo of the av of the poster below you. I think it would a cool new logo while it keeps the Islanders being the Islanders since it incoporates the old logo in a new design.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Following that logic the Rangers should be called the Manhattan Rangers...Brooklyn New York as much as Manhattan or any other of the five counties.
There is logic to the "Manhattan" Rangers, for sure. Brooklyn is quite distinct from both Manhattan and the generic "Long Island". And the name "Brooklyn" resonates in an entirely unique way. I'm a Left Coaster, and I would buy a "Brooklyn Islanders" jersey in a heartbeat.

But a "NY Islanders" jersey? Not so much...It's just a different vibe entirely.

Anyway, if there's one thing we know about NHL owners, is that they can smell incremental revenue. If Wang thinks he'll make more money switching the name to "Brooklyn", he'll do it.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Yes, but only you address your mail to New York, NY to one of the 5 boroughs.

Having said that, they should keep their name as NY Islanders.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
There is logic to the "Manhattan" Rangers, for sure. Brooklyn is quite distinct from both Manhattan and the generic "Long Island". And the name "Brooklyn" resonates in an entirely unique way. I'm a Left Coaster, and I would buy a "Brooklyn Islanders" jersey in a heartbeat.

But a "NY Islanders" jersey? Not so much...It's just a different vibe entirely.

Anyway, if there's one thing we know about NHL owners, is that they can smell incremental revenue. If Wang thinks he'll make more money switching the name to "Brooklyn", he'll do it.
The NHL insisted on keeping the name NY Islanders they said Wednesday.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Denzil
NOLU

It's weird people asking for a name change, considering they'll be more New York when they move than they are currently...

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:07 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Yeah I don't see the problem since they are still in New York and still on an island.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...a-new-tv-deal/

Pundit suggests that $$ aside, the Islanders need to get a new/different cable deal due to (lack of) priority and blackouts.

(But does not address the issue of breaking contract with MSG, nor how they'll make up the $20mm of revenue.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Pundit suggests that $$ aside, the Islanders need to get a new/different cable deal due to (lack of) priority and blackouts.

(But does not address the issue of breaking contract with MSG, nor how they'll make up the $20mm of revenue.)
Dolan gave them a gift with that contract. I think they just need to earn it by getting higher ratings than the Devils, which would require being good for a while and enticing people to watch. Hopefully that doesn't happen since I want my Devils in HD every night

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
It's weird people asking for a name change, considering they'll be more New York when they move than they are currently...
I agree. The name should not be that much of an issue. Both the New York Giants and New York Jets of the NFL play their home games in another state (New Jersey) but use New York in the team name. The Islanders never went by the name Uniondale even though that is where they were based so there is no real need to use Brooklyn instead of New York.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:42 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Dolan gave them a gift with that contract. I think they just need to earn it by getting higher ratings than the Devils, which would require being good for a while and enticing people to watch. Hopefully that doesn't happen since I want my Devils in HD every night
Surprising to read such an uninformed statement, coming from a Devils fan.
Dolan did not gift the NYI with anything. Just like NJ's big cable contract from Dolan is not some sort of gift.

http://www.examiner.com/article/hock...ss-not-a-sport
What
Toronto writers don't understand is just how much Dolan, who now owns the New York Rangers, needs the Islanders and how much Islanders owner Charles Wang needs Dolan's money. Dolan has two valuable assets that other cable competitors don't have on
Long Island. The Islanders contract through 2031 and News12, a local news operation that covers Nassau and
Suffolk county news. The Islanders are definitely a loss leader for Dolan but in the overall scheme of things, Dolan can walk into any town, village or city on the
Island when it comes to renewing his cable systems licenses and say what does Time Warner have locally, what does Comcast have locally? The answer is nothing, he has the Islanders and he has News12. The properties virtually assure Dolan of the renewals in the lucrative multiple cable systems operator business.

Dolan has the same set up in
New Jersey, a long term contract with Jeffrey Vanderbeek's Devils hockey team and News12. Dolan is a smart guy, much smarter than the Toronto writers looking at moving the Islanders to
Toronto.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Under their TV contract with MSG, the Islanders are getting about $20 million per season in rights fees through 2030-31. So much like the Barclays Center lease and the Rick DiPietro contract, the Isles are seemingly in it for the long haul. Yet as well as MSG does with their overall NHL production and coverage with Hockey Night New York, one would think the Islanders would be better off getting higher priority on another regional network.

Isles don't get $20m per season. They got $20m a few seasons ago. The amount rises sightly each season, ending with $36m in 2030-2031.

It'd be great to see NYI broadcast get higher priority, but I don't see Wang walking away from the remaining $450m or so, that's left on his deal.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Surprising to read such an uninformed statement, coming from a Devils fan.
Dolan did not gift the NYI with anything. Just like NJ's big cable contract from Dolan is not some sort of gift.

http://www.examiner.com/article/hock...ss-not-a-sport
What
Toronto writers don't understand is just how much Dolan, who now owns the New York Rangers, needs the Islanders and how much Islanders owner Charles Wang needs Dolan's money. Dolan has two valuable assets that other cable competitors don't have on
Long Island. The Islanders contract through 2031 and News12, a local news operation that covers Nassau and
Suffolk county news. The Islanders are definitely a loss leader for Dolan but in the overall scheme of things, Dolan can walk into any town, village or city on the
Island when it comes to renewing his cable systems licenses and say what does Time Warner have locally, what does Comcast have locally? The answer is nothing, he has the Islanders and he has News12. The properties virtually assure Dolan of the renewals in the lucrative multiple cable systems operator business.

Dolan has the same set up in
New Jersey, a long term contract with Jeffrey Vanderbeek's Devils hockey team and News12. Dolan is a smart guy, much smarter than the Toronto writers looking at moving the Islanders to
Toronto.
But you could argue that the dollars paid are a gift, significantly above market value, due to the renegotiation when Dolan merged FSNY into MSG - either Dolan overpaid or the Isles would have been due 18.5% of all MSG revenues under the terms of their old broadcast deal.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Why? They still play in New York.
I generally think teams should be named after cities whenever justified. I don't really care what they are called, but if it were up to me I'd localize the name. It would help give the team more of an aura of a new beginning.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:23 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
But you could argue that the dollars paid are a gift, significantly above market value, due to the renegotiation when Dolan merged FSNY into MSG - either Dolan overpaid or the Isles would have been due 18.5% of all MSG revenues under the terms of their old broadcast deal.
If Cablevision was not paying the Isles that lucrative cable contract, then one of Dolan's two competitors, Comcast or Time Warner, would be paying the isles a lucrative contract.
How bad do Comcast or Time Warner want to pry those licenses away from Cablevision?

Old
10-29-2012, 02:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I generally think teams should be named after cities whenever justified. I don't really care what they are called, but if it were up to me I'd localize the name. It would help give the team more of an aura of a new beginning.
Winning will give the isles an aura.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:03 PM
KevFu

"Aura and Destiny are dancers at a night club" - Curt Schilling, 2004.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:14 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Logos and colors are changed all the time even when a team doesn't move at all.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote